Successful extension of stay change from retirement to Thai spouse at Chiang Mai

Yesterday I successfully obtained this (30 day provisional) extension to my non-immigrant O previously extended for retirement, but now changed to Thai spouse reason at Chiang Mai Immigration. They asked me why I wanted to change and I cited keeping less useless money in the bank and it being possible to have a work permit.

The documents I needed were:

Two copies of everything (plus originals of those marked *).

Every copy of my information had to be endorsed with my (or in appropriate cases, my wife's) signature and printed name).

TM7, two photographs, one for each copy

Photographs of family at home, in several rooms

*Lease agreement for home (as we rent and do not have a house book)

Map to house (hand drawn OK)

*Official address certificates for Thai wife and children

*Thai wife ID card

*Birth Certificate for any adopted/natural born children in Thailand

*Bank book 400,000 deposited in Thai bank account in my sole name, seasoned for three months (believe only two months for first applications), copies of ALL pages, transaction within last two days showing up to date balance in book. Income certificate from Embassy could also have been used.

*Letter from bank showing balance, I think also has to be no more than a few days old. Kasikorn charge 100 baht for this.

*Passport copies of ID page, original visa, last extension of stay, last entry stamp

*TM6 Arrival/Departure card

*Marriage Certificate

*KR2 from Amphur (this certifies the Marriage Certificate as genuine)

*Divorce Certificate for Thai wife, as she has been married before. I was not asked for details of any previous marriage.

I have never been able to have enough copies of the right documents before and yesterday was no exception. I was surprised to be asked for all the documents for the children, as the reason for extension was having a Thai spouse, not having dependent children or family support, but you do what you have to.

I now expect a visit to my home (using the map, even though the Pizza Company can find it without a map) by local officials to check we are genuinely married and living together. If they and Immigration in Bangkok approve, I will be granted a 365 day extension.

I have been told that next year all the documents, updated, will be required again. Copies cost 2 baht each at Immigration as opposed to 0.5 baht anywhere else.

Hope this helps anyone in a similar position. Each official or office may of course have different requirements.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Thanks Ubonjoe for the explanation. I know I ended up with writer's cramp after signing lots of documents in Thai and all the photocopies, and yes, she signed lots as well. I did suggest that they do a pre-check at the front desk that we had all the documents and copies in the several hours while we waited to see the officer, but that went completely over their heads as it smacked of revolution.

I did queue from 5am for a queue ticket issued at 7.30am, but I was already twentieth when I arrived. Busy place. Still at the newly improved office near the Airport.

• Like 1