Samui Tourism Operators Theaten To Block Samui Airport

Continued from here

Samui tourism businesses threaten to stage Samui Airport blockade to protest fare increase

KOH SAMUI: -- The president of the Koh Samui Tourism Promotion Association Saturday threatened to launch a blockade protest against Bangkok Airways for increasing fares to the tourist destination island.

Seni Phuwasetthavorn, president of the association, was quoted by Manager Online as saying that operators of tourism businesses and residents of the island were against the fare increase by 20 per cent, which became effective on October 29.

He said the increase would turn away tourists and would cause the island would suffer a lot of damages.

He said if the fare increase problem was not addressed, Samui residents and business operators would jointly lay a blockade to the Samui Airport of Bangkok Airways to protest.

-- The Nation 2006-11-04

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps farangs should blockade Thailand everytime the government increases the prices already too high under official dual pricing?

EG National Parks, Chiangmai Night Safari, Museums etc

-----

What they fail to see on Samui is that, everytime tourism increases there, they take the credit saying they thought of something brilliant, but everytime there's a dip, they blame outside forces.

This is not a problem localised to Samui, but endemic to anywhere in Thailand (vis Tourism Minister blaming Japan/Korea world Cup for a drop in arrivals during FEBRUARY 2002 ?????

What they all fail to see is that their own actions (i.e. the Thai people as a nation) cause more damage than individual events such as this. If they quict penalising and robbing tourists, then they'd get more returnees and first timers - too many true but bad stories circulating outside LOS, all of them circulating because of the actions of Thai persons, rather than linked to companies or other organisations.

Edited by Gaz Chiangmai

except if the governments give subvention to air companies, the raise are unavoidable on the long run, due to gaz price rise...

The price for France <-> Thailand increased by almost 40% in 2 years... :o

Edited by manutoo

I couldn't believe this bullshit, I thought you guys were joking 10,000bt return ticket, I had to check there web page oh so true. Well Bangkok Airways may kill the Goose that lays the golden eggs.

They have been losing money in the new Bangkok airport with there ground handling services, so they are trying to recoup from the tourists and locals, it could just backfire on them and force the government to look at building the new airport, it can be done.

Well it comes as no surprise.

It's an expensive Boutique.

Bangkok Airways ups Samui fare as costs rise

Bangkok Airways yesterday announced a fare rise for the route between Bangkok and Koh Samui, effective since October 31.

The increase was brought in with the consent of the Civil Aviation Department (CAD) of the Transport Ministry.

While operating costs continue to rise each year, the airline has not increased its fares since July 2001.

Costs this year have included hiring more staff, higher fuel prices and moving to Suvarnabhumi Airport.

However, the increased fare is the full fare (Y class) implemented only during the high season, which is the same scheme used in the hotel business for the season. Only passengers who purchase tickets on the day of travel without any prior reservations are entitled to the Y -class fare.

All other passengers can still purchase tickets for the M-class fare, which is incrementally increased by only Bt100 per seat.

The airline still offers promotional fares during the low season and a year-round "Early Bird" promotion for those travelling on the first and last flights to and from Koh Samui at Bt4,000 round trip.

Local Koh Samui residents and those operating a business on Koh Samui and hold a Samui resident card are entitled to a 35-per-cent airfare discount.

Apart from this, the airline has also declared Samui Airport open to all other airlines for operation, following rules and regulations issued by the CAD.

Thai Airways International has already been informed about this.

Bangkok Airways is currently collaborating with THAI on a code-share agreement for the Bangkok-Samui route from December 1.

The Nation 04/11/06

sriracha John,

Why do you expect BKK Airways to explain the increase?

Please read the above posted articel from The Nation, it explains a lot.

actually I was making my post and hadn't seen the earlier post but nevertheless... sorry for the 6 seconds delay between our posts.

silly me, I would have thought they might wish to explain in their "news release" section, as good public relations, why they instituted a huge jump in their prices.

Instead, you can read in that section about how they are the best airline in Southeast Asia. hmmm... :o

Edited by sriracha john

Flights to Samui

are already ridiculously over priced, due to Bangkok Air owning the airport and having aand make this a fair trade!

No, the prices are not ridiculous, they are quite in line with what is seen elsewhere in the world. I just checked on the RT airfare from Vancouver Island to Vancouver. 227.20 CAD or roughly $200US., and that's for a short hop of less than 30 miles, far less than the distance between BKK and KS

Planes are planes and fuel costs are just as much in Thailand.

Similarly, interisland trips in Hawaii are pretty close to the same prices and involve much shorter distances. Time everyone did a reality check.

If the business operators at Koh Samui want to do something meaningful, then they need to get together and provide some kind of exchange coupon to cover the differences in the old vs new airfare. That's better than losing the millions they say.

But it's always the other guys fault, isn't it?

Edited by pjallittle

Should cost 1,000 baht for the trip.

You're dreaming. But a viable alternative is to make the trip on a train, do the overnight or the hard way, for half the price.

Bangkok to Ko Samui

Fares

Combined

train+ferry fare...

1st class sleeper 1,379 (£20)

a/c express train

2nd class sleeper 948 (£14)

a/c express train

2nd class seat 678 (£10)

a/c fast railcar

2nd class seat 568 (£8.25)

ordinary train

3rd class seat 427 (£6.25)

having been a lucky guys who flew on one of the last ,,cheaper,, flights from Utapao to Samui and back, in future I surely will consider a bus ticket or will go by car. just in order to boycott that airline. Anyway you need them only if you want to go to Samui due to their monopoly.

You're dreaming. But a viable alternative is to make the trip on a train, do the overnight or the hard way, for half the price.

Bangkok to Ko Samui

Fares

Combined

train+ferry fare...

1st class sleeper 1,379 (£20)

a/c express train

2nd class sleeper 948 (£14)

a/c express train

2nd class seat 678 (£10)

a/c ar

2nd class seat 568 (£8.25)

ordinary train

3rd class seat 427 (£6.25)

And you certainly get to meet interesting people and see the country on the train.

People who complain about airfares should realise that the solution is simple - don't fly.

Flights to Samui

are already ridiculously over priced, due to Bangkok Air owning the airport and having aand make this a fair trade!

No, the prices are not ridiculous, they are quite in line with what is seen elsewhere in the world. I just checked on the RT airfare from Vancouver Island to Vancouver. 227.20 CAD or roughly $200US., and that's for a short hop of less than 30 miles, far less than the distance between BKK and KS

Planes are planes and fuel costs are just as much in Thailand.

Similarly, interisland trips in Hawaii are pretty close to the same prices and involve much shorter distances. Time everyone did a reality check.

If the business operators at Koh Samui want to do something meaningful, then they need to get together and provide some kind of exchange coupon to cover the differences in the old vs new airfare. That's better than losing the millions they say.

But it's always the other guys fault, isn't it?

Well the prices are ridiculous,first of all here is not Canada,second for 10000baht i can fly to many places in asia,Like Kuala Lumpur or Singapore or.........!if they really open up the airport for other airlinesthey will lose more money,unless they dont over charge the other airlines for using the airport,take airasia for example they would probably fly for half than 10000baht

Just got back from the States. If you book a o/w ticket between Phoenix and LA (somewhere around 360 - 400 miles) a month or so in advance it is $35 - $45; if you get a ticket seven days or less in advance it can run you close to $140. Greyhound bus gets you to LA for about $50 but you are a long way from LAX. A o/w car rental goes from $80 to $100 or more, plus gas, because of the drop fee.

I just flew from the new airport to Chaingmai on Thai Air Asia, bought the o/w ticket at the counter when it opened at 6am, for 1,700 baht - that's a fair price on a pretty basic air plane. I believe Thai Air was 2,500? Haven't flown to KOH SAMUI so am not sure what is reasonable, but all in all the new pricing seems high.

Just got back from the States. If you book a o/w ticket between Phoenix and LA (somewhere around 360 - 400 miles) a month or so in advance it is $35 - $45; if you get a ticket seven days or less in advance it can run you close to $140. Greyhound bus gets you to LA for about $50 but you are a long way from LAX. A o/w car rental goes from $80 to $100 or more, plus gas, because of the drop fee.

I just flew from the new airport to Chaingmai on Thai Air Asia, bought the o/w ticket at the counter when it opened at 6am, for 1,700 baht - that's a fair price on a pretty basic air plane. I believe Thai Air was 2,500? Haven't flown to KOH SAMUI so am not sure what is reasonable, but all in all the new pricing seems high.

I've just checked Air Asia's website and I can fly from Bangkok to Suratthani for 899 Baht one way and the return price is double that. There may be surcharges but it's not even close to the Bangkok Airways price and it's really not too much trouble to get from the airport to the ferry.

It seem to me like the obvious compromise.

It's doesn't take anything like as long as the sleeper train but is not much more expensive.

Dear mister Backpacker; Prices are far too low! Airlines sshould be charged taxes on their fuel like government charge taxes on any other form of transport. Maybe you have not looked at Thai Airways prices, they make look Bangkok Air fares dirt cheap. It is high time that you use your backpack and use your militray boots to walk a bit further, take the train or take a boat. as long as you can take the airplane the prices are TOO low

Dear mister Backpacker; Prices are far too low! Airlines sshould be charged taxes on their fuel like government charge taxes on any other form of transport. Maybe you have not looked at Thai Airways prices, they make look Bangkok Air fares dirt cheap. It is high time that you use your backpack and use your militray boots to walk a bit further, take the train or take a boat. as long as you can take the airplane the prices are TOO low

You obviously have no clue what you are talking about.

Bangkok Airways is the ONLY airline that flys to the island, hence the reason why they could do anything with the prices, it is a monopoly, which is what most people object to.

Compare the prices. I just flew Business class with Cathay Pacific from Bangkok to Singapore return 11000 baht. Bangkok Airways want virtually the same for a trip to Samui.!!!!!!! Yeh right.

Wrecker are you on some kond of medication? I'd be curious to know how Bangkok Airways prices look cheap compared to anybody when the have a monopoly on flights to Samui.

The only reasonable alternative is to fly to Suratthani which, with Thai Airways, is 5,280 Baht return. i.e half the Bangkok Airways price to Samui.

Wrecker are you on some kond of medication? I'd be curious to know how Bangkok Airways prices look cheap compared to anybody when the have a monopoly on flights to Samui.

The only reasonable alternative is to fly to Suratthani which, with Thai Airways, is 5,280 Baht return. i.e half the Bangkok Airways price to Samui.

Air Asia Bht 2,886 return

Well if I'd built and owned an airport and an airline myself, I'd set my prices according to what I believe the market can bear, and a big fat raspberry to any "Oh...but...but...that's not fair" whingers.

Quite frankly, they seem to be showing incredible generosity in letting TG join the fray. I reckon there's more chance of TG setting its prices close to Bangkok Airways, rather than starting a price-war, but you never know.

Poor, Poorfarang, BKK Airways are not yet operating charity flights. They are in the business to make a profit. Commercial forces will dictate if their prices are unreasonable.

You have a choice and can go by road or train. If you have a residents card and can plan your life the prices are not unreasonable. If the flights start to operate empty then they will have got it wrong.