Samui Tourism Operators Theaten To Block Samui Airport

Whats the difference between a 1st class sleeper and 2nd class sleeper?

Poorfarang,

1st class sleaper is an a/c cabin for 2 pax, if you travel alone, you may end up with another poorfarang or a male Thai national, assuming you're male for the duration of the trip.

2nd class sleeper is available in a/c and fan. During the day you sit in a comfy chair and at night these two chairs turn into a comfy lower berth, spacious and comfy, the upper berth is small and uncomfortable but cheaper.

You share a wagon with approx 20 or so other travellers. Downside in 2nd class is that all your luggage is accessable and in plain view for everyone, although I never had a problem with theft on the trains.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats utter nonsense to compare that fare with "similar" routes in vancouver or hawaii.

wanna start comparing salaries? and oil prices and therefore kerosin prices dropped over 20 percent over the past weeks.

anyway, the owner of bangkok airways owns a heap of other businesses, such as samitivej hospital, bangkok hospital and and and.

he doesnt need more money, but likes more money.

as far as his samui-monopoly goes: thats right, we're all milked. like we're milked with the ubc-monopoly and others.

but then again, do thais ask for consumer protection?

Should cost 1,000 baht for the trip.

Poor, Poorfarang, BKK Airways are not yet operating charity flights. They are in the business to make a profit. Commercial forces will dictate if their prices are unreasonable.

You have a choice and can go by road or train. If you have a residents card and can plan your life the prices are not unreasonable. If the flights start to operate empty then they will have got it wrong.

Or not go.. Thants my option. When needing a break from BKK, I prefer other places in Thailand anyway :o

Edited by bkkandrew

And you certainly get to meet interesting people and see the country on the train.

People who complain about airfares should realise that the solution is simple - don't fly.

Just out of interest, I looked at Bangkok Airways and Thai's websites:

Bangkok Air:

U-Tapao - Phuket (RT) March/April 2007 Total 8830 Baht

U-Tapao - Samui (RT) March/April 2007 Total 7310 Baht

Then it says:

Excludes airport departure tax at Samui/Sukhothai/Trat airports.Airport Construction and Maintenance Fee/Passenger Service Charge and will be collected at departure. Hmmm...... :o

Thai Airways

BKK - Phuket (RT) March/April 2007 Total fare 6760.00

So I'm not sure where the figure of 10,000 Baht came from but now Thai actually appears to be cheaper than Bangkok Air for Phuket! BTW I do realise that Thai don't fly to Samui - yet!

Guess it's market forces at work - same the world over :D

Anyway, train travel in Thailand is great - never done a sleeper but have done the BKK-Pichai route a couple of times - about 400Baht and they feed you! :D

Perhaps farangs should blockade Thailand everytime the government increases the prices already too high under official dual pricing?

EG National Parks, Chiangmai Night Safari, Museums etc

-----

What they fail to see on Samui is that, everytime tourism increases there, they take the credit saying they thought of something brilliant, but everytime there's a dip, they blame outside forces.

This is not a problem localised to Samui, but endemic to anywhere in Thailand (vis Tourism Minister blaming Japan/Korea world Cup for a drop in arrivals during FEBRUARY 2002 ?????

What they all fail to see is that their own actions (i.e. the Thai people as a nation) cause more damage than individual events such as this. If they quict penalising and robbing tourists, then they'd get more returnees and first timers - too many true but bad stories circulating outside LOS, all of them circulating because of the actions of Thai persons, rather than linked to companies or other organisations.

Perhaps farangs should blockade Thailand everytime the government increases the prices already too high under official dual pricing?

-----

What they fail to see on Samui is that, everytime tourism increases there, they take the credit saying they thought of something brilliant, but everytime there's a dip, they blame outside forces.

This is not a problem localised to Samui, but endemic to anywhere in Thailand (vis Tourism Minister blaming Japan/Korea world Cup for a drop in arrivals during FEBRUARY 2002 ?????

What they all fail to see is that their own actions (i.e. the Thai people as a nation) cause more damage than individual events such as this. If they quict penalising and robbing tourists, then they'd get more returnees and first timers - too many true but bad stories circulating outside LOS, all of them circulating because of the actions of Thai persons, rather than linked to companies or other organisations.

VERY WELL SAID!!!!! It is a shame the Thais will never get it untill they do loose enough tourism to force them to see/ but that will never come. Guess that is your well put point.

You're dreaming. But a viable alternative is to make the trip on a train, do the overnight or the hard way, for half the price.

Bangkok to Ko Samui

Fares

Combined

train+ferry fare...

1st class sleeper 1,379 (£20)

a/c express train

2nd class sleeper 948 (£14)

a/c express train

2nd class seat 678 (£10)

a/c ar

2nd class seat 568 (£8.25)

ordinary train

3rd class seat 427 (£6.25)

And you certainly get to meet interesting people and see the country on the train.

People who complain about airfares should realise that the solution is simple - don't fly.

What part of the countryside do you see travelling at night???

Being on the Travel business for quite some time I see things this way

Bangkok Airways is facing quite a lot of competition on their routes, in a few of them example BKK/ Phuket & BKK/ Pnom Phen, in order to compete with low cost airlines fares i.e. NOKAIR & Air ASIA for example, they had to reduce their fares...actually if one looks at their online reservation system one will notice thatfor instance on route to Phuket they have created another low fare that never existed staring at 2, 200 Bath one way...same apllies to Pnom Phen route.

The only way they saw to cover this fare losses on other routes, was to increase fares in one of the only routes that is only operated by THEM and that is SAMUI......

In my point of view this has nothing to do with increase costs of fuel or whatsoever because they already charging every customers that buys a seat from them a fuel surcharge.

By the way this will obviously affect most farang buying seats through travel agents in foreign countries because the Y fare ( full fare economy ) they have increased in the ONLY one available to travel agents on their booking systems.

They may say whatever but for sure they know about their business :o

Whats the difference between a 1st class sleeper and 2nd class sleeper?

1st class is a compartment for 2 people. Great if you travelling with someone you know.

2nd class a compartment for 20.

Much better than the plane. Stewards come round with menus and buckets of beer.

Sounds like your kind of travel Poorfarang. :o

This increase really annoys me.

and the way they try to justify it......

"While operating costs continue to rise each year, the airline has not increased its fares since July 2001.

Costs this year have included hiring more staff, higher fuel prices and moving to Suvarnabhumi Airport."

Firstly they have increased their fares since 2001, in 2002 price was 3150 baht. Price has changed a couple of times since then. The hiring of staff can be covered by the rip off airport tax from samui airport, and the move from suvarnabhumi should bring more customers in the long run which will cover the costs of moving. Besides all other airlines have had the same costs and not raised their fares 20%.

They also have a furl surcharge in place to cover high fuel costs, which are now falling anyway.

It's just another example of a a Thai/Chinese monoploy ripping off the consumer.

Oh and then thrying to justify it with extremely flimsy excuses.

Flights to Samui

are already ridiculously over priced, due to Bangkok Air owning the airport and having aand make this a fair trade!

No, the prices are not ridiculous, they are quite in line with what is seen elsewhere in the world. I just checked on the RT airfare from Vancouver Island to Vancouver. 227.20 CAD or roughly $200US., and that's for a short hop of less than 30 miles, far less than the distance between BKK and KS

Planes are planes and fuel costs are just as much in Thailand.

Similarly, interisland trips in Hawaii are pretty close to the same prices and involve much shorter distances. Time everyone did a reality check.

If the business operators at Koh Samui want to do something meaningful, then they need to get together and provide some kind of exchange coupon to cover the differences in the old vs new airfare. That's better than losing the millions they say.

But it's always the other guys fault, isn't it?

Actually, yes they are over priced. Who gives a shit about what the price in Canada for a flight is. You also have trade unions and major other factors in play there which cause the price to be high.

The fact of the matter is that Bangkok Air owns the airport in Samui, so they can charge whatever they want.

Try to fly to Phuket on Nok Air, or any of the other smaller airlines. The price will be a fraction of what it is on Bangkok Air to Samui.

I don't believe that Nation article that says that they haven't raised the prices since 2001. I've been flying on Bangkok Air to Samui since 2002. It has steadily increased over time...so much so that they offer discounted web fares for the first and last flights of the day.

Flights to Samui

are already ridiculously over priced, due to Bangkok Air owning the airport and having aand make this a fair trade!

No, the prices are not ridiculous, they are quite in line with what is seen elsewhere in the world. I just checked on the RT airfare from Vancouver Island to Vancouver. 227.20 CAD or roughly $200US., and that's for a short hop of less than 30 miles, far less than the distance between BKK and KS

Similarly, interisland trips in Hawaii are pretty close to the same prices and involve much shorter distances. Time everyone did a reality check.

If the business operators at Koh Samui want to do something meaningful, then they need to get together and provide some kind of exchange coupon to cover the differences in the old vs new airfare. That's better than losing the millions they say.

But it's always the other guys fault, isn't it?

hey hockey puck.

if you are willing to accept over-prices tickets, that's up to you, however in a monopoly the provider can charge whatever they want. it has nothing to do with the free market.

Of course I can remember having to take the train to Suranthani and then a boat to get to Koh Samui pre-airport.

Then it was really something.

Bangkok Air changed that with the airport.

No more Viking Huts bikini swedes, instead plenty of crisp eating tourists on package flights to the fading memory of a paradise.

bangkok Air should charge 50k one way.

There was also a rumor that Bangkok Air had been paying the Cambodian to delay the paving of the road to Siem Riep.

But that's a rumor and not a reported truth.

Edited by pascharay

I personally like the idea of higher airfares to the Island. It would be even better if the ferry's were to raise their prices by 1000% too. It might get rid of a lot of the "trailer trash tourists" and "dreadlock hippies" that have started to infest the place.

Some of the best experiences and holidays I have had have been in places like Bhutan, The Maldives and some of the more "upmarket" lodges in Africa. If you take Bhutan for example, it is a requirement that you are spending at least $ 250 USD per day for each of the days you visit and yes you have to have the money upfront. Fantastic and fascinating country that is smart in that it limits the number of tourists because of its pricing and there is none of the problems that go with the "$ 20 dollar a day" dreadful travellers that scowl and lounge around in a lot of SEA countries making a nuisance of themselves and spoiling the place.

Try Thai Air Asia, i got a return to Surat Thani and then bus and boat to Koh Samui. If you book early enough i paid less than £30 for a return flight to Surat Thani. The bus and boat you can buy in the airport in Surat Thani i think for around 270 baht. They stung me at the airport both ways for 5kg over weight on my baggage, 1kg=100 baht , so be careful and pack light. Even with the 1000 baht extra charge its still cheap ! :o

I would also like to see the trailer trash farang out of thailand...if you can't pay the fare...don't go...its simple...also, why would Samui thai's threaten to blockade the airport while the rest of thailand including samui robs you blind will dual pricing every time you enter thailand...

Let Samui feel the heat...it's south anyway and not such a paradise they think it is...subsidy doesn't help, it comes back to everyone in some form or another...esspecially farangs...

You're dreaming. But a viable alternative is to make the trip on a train, do the overnight or the hard way, for half the price.

Bangkok to Ko Samui

Fares

Combined

train+ferry fare...

a/c express train

a/c express train

2nd class seat 678 (£10)

a/c fast railcar

ordinary train

Bangkok Airways ups Samui fare as costs rise

Bangkok Airways yesterday announced a fare rise for the route between Bangkok and Koh Samui, effective since October 31.

The increase was brought in with the consent of the Civil Aviation Department (CAD) of the Transport Ministry.

While operating costs continue to rise each year, the airline has not increased its fares since July 2001.

Costs this year have included hiring more staff, higher fuel prices and moving to Suvarnabhumi Airport.

However, the increased fare is the full fare (Y class) implemented only during the high season, which is the same scheme used in the hotel business for the season. Only passengers who purchase tickets on the day of travel without any prior reservations are entitled to the Y -class fare.

All other passengers can still purchase tickets for the M-class fare, which is incrementally increased by only Bt100 per seat.

The airline still offers promotional fares during the low season and a year-round "Early Bird" promotion for those travelling on the first and last flights to and from Koh Samui at Bt4,000 round trip.

Local Koh Samui residents and those operating a business on Koh Samui and hold a Samui resident card are entitled to a 35-per-cent airfare discount.

Apart from this, the airline has also declared Samui Airport open to all other airlines for operation, following rules and regulations issued by the CAD.

Thai Airways International has already been informed about this.

Bangkok Airways is currently collaborating with THAI on a code-share agreement for the Bangkok-Samui route from December 1.

The Nation 04/11/06

Did everyone here actually read the article? The fare increase is only on the Y fare which is only when you buy the day of the flight which I'm sure most of us do not do. The fares that we mostly buy are only going up 100 baht and the early bird fares are remaining the same. Doesn't seem like a real problem to me. I sure the heck wouldn't take a train or bus to avoid paying only 200 baht return. 15 hours versus 1 hour! No contest.

Also, according the article, the airport has now been opened to other airlines to use.

Bangkok to Ko Samui

Fares

Combined

train+ferry fare...

a/c express train

a/c express train

2nd class seat 678 (£10)

a/c fast railcar

ordinary train

Or even the "Air Asia option" to Surat and then the "Air Asia" boat from Don Sak (I think) to Nathorn.... Haven't done it, but have seen it advertised in the Bkk Post) for about 4000 baht or so.

Bangkok Airways yesterday announced a fare rise for the route between Bangkok and Koh Samui, effective since October 31.

The increase was brought in with the consent of the Civil Aviation Department (CAD) of the Transport Ministry.

While operating costs continue to rise each year, the airline has not increased its fares since July 2001.

Costs this year have included hiring more staff, higher fuel prices and moving to Suvarnabhumi Airport.

However, the increased fare is the full fare (Y class) implemented only during the high season, which is the same scheme used in the hotel business for the season. Only passengers who purchase tickets on the day of travel without any prior reservations are entitled to the Y -class fare.

All other passengers can still purchase tickets for the M-class fare, which is incrementally increased by only Bt100 per seat.

The airline still offers promotional fares during the low season and a year-round "Early Bird" promotion for those travelling on the first and last flights to and from Koh Samui at Bt4,000 round trip.

Local Koh Samui residents and those operating a business on Koh Samui and hold a Samui resident card are entitled to a 35-per-cent airfare discount.

Apart from this, the airline has also declared Samui Airport open to all other airlines for operation, following rules and regulations issued by the CAD.

Bangkok Airways is currently collaborating with THAI on a code-share agreement for the Bangkok-Samui route from December 1.

The Nation 04/11/06

Did everyone here actually read the article? The fare increase is only on the Y fare which is only when you buy the day of the flight which I'm sure most of us do not do. The fares that we mostly buy are only going up 100 baht and the early bird fares are remaining the same. Doesn't seem like a real problem to me. I sure the heck wouldn't take a train or bus to avoid paying only 200 baht return. 15 hours versus 1 hour! No contest.

Also, according the article, the airport has now been opened to other airlines to use.

Thats not strictly true as there is a quota for each class of ticket, so it's possible for the other classes to be sold out days before especially in high season.

Well it comes as no surprise.

It's an expensive Boutique.

The Nation 04/11/06

"Local Koh Samui residents and those operating a business on Koh Samui and hold a Samui resident card are entitled to a 35-per-cent airfare discount."

That says it all. Because most tourist's noses are 35% longer than local's noses, they pay 35% more than the latter. This seems to be national policy and I absolutely hate it. On the other handside, every time a farang gets a job in Thailand, he gets paid 100%-300% more than the locals would get for doing the same job. I hate that one as well.

The Nation 04/11/06

Thats not strictly true as there is a quota for each class of ticket, so it's possible for the other classes to be sold out days before especially in high season.

But there are so many flights per day there should never be a reason to pay Y fair unless it's an emergency and you have to leave pronto.

Also, I discovered that you can go to the airport and get the special discount price (early bird) for some flight in the future. Then you can go standby and get on an early bird flight if there is room. For instance, I bought a ticket to BKK at the airport for the early bird flight that was a week away but I really wanted to go the next day. So I have the ticket for next week but the following morning I went and got on the standby flight for the first flight and got on no problem. A girl there told me there is always room on the early flights for standby passengers because a lot of people do not show up for such an early flight.

for some of us those early bird flights are not convenient. And those quotas certainly do run out frequently particulary on jet plane flights. Really to be charged over 10k rtn on a crummy ATR is pretty disgusting. Especially when the route is so outragiously profitable for them. During the high season all flights are frequently sold out 3 days before.

The residents card is also rubbish, it isn't valid for all residents, only a small number and they are ones who own property not rent. Those that own a proper tax paying business (not a shell company) and those who are resort managers.

And no before anyone asks bar managers do not get one.

Neigher do divers :o

This is a simple case of them knowing their market and the supply and demand. They know they can increase the charge in high season on the last class of ticket to sell out. They know all these seats will still sell and there will probobally still be people who can't get seats. This is because the airport is inadequate for the number of passegers wishing to fly to samui, they know they can fill all the seats, so they will charge what they want as they have the monopoly.

I hope another airport gets built and they lose this monopoly, somehow though i think this wont happen. We all know how chinese/thai's love their monopolies, they can't handle business on a level playing field.

Stick em' in the real world and most would fail!

Edited by womble

Interesting news.

I doubt however that Thai Airways or any other airline will be allowed to operate many flights and with lower fares.

LaoPo

I just checked on the RT airfare from Vancouver Island to Vancouver. 227.20 CAD or roughly $200US., and that's for a short hop of less than 30 miles, far less than the distance between BKK and KS

Similarly, interisland trips in Hawaii are pretty close to the same prices and involve much shorter distances. Time everyone did a reality check. NOT TRUE IF YOU'RE A RESIDENT OR LONG TERM [iE FRANG] MANY DISCOUNTS

If the business operators at Koh Samui want to do something meaningful, then WHY DID THEY RUSH INTO airports, and no Long Boat overnight 'charming/' conveniences to 'find' K S? That's THE PRICE once with not greedy bungallow owners Now Anti's up SO BE IT

But it's always the other guys fault, isn't it? NO Cause=Effect, aka Life='s art & between betwixed. Besides compairing Vancouver to Koh Samui real off WHT DIDN'T YOU JUST TAKE THE HYDROFOIL BOAT With your Bentley?

-----