Best sources of omega three fatty acids supplements, and...

peeba7

I was taking Carlson's fish oil from the states and generic flax seed oil. Now I want to find the best quality in Thailand or at least acceptable.

1-What are the best quality brand supplements for O3FA in Thailand?

2-Where can they be purchased in Pattaya?

3-What foods in Thailand provide the best sources?

4-I am under the impression farm raised salmon does not have them. How do you know if the salmon or any fish for that matter has them or not?

5-How do you know, how can you tell, when and if the oil has gone bad, rancid or no good to take?

6-What are the consequences of ingesting old, bad, rancid oils?

7-Additonal thoughts comments and experiences.

Thank you.

Very difficult in Thailand. The reasonably priced and good quality sources dried up a few years ago. I order mine through http://www.puritan.com/ MUCH better quality than iherb and more reasonable priced, but you need to be careful with the delivery costs. Order <$50 worth at a time to avoid import duties. Also Puritan are also much more transparent with their product descriptions. I find iherb a bit "tricky" eg with the Omega 3 fish oils that I have to take, Puritans specify the EPA/DHA levels - the critical elements - where iherb don't -they just make vague claims and the reality is their levels are comparatively low.

Very difficult in Thailand. The reasonably priced and good quality sources dried up a few years ago. I order mine through http://www.puritan.com/ MUCH better quality than iherb and more reasonable priced, but you need to be careful with the delivery costs. Order <$50 worth at a time to avoid import duties. Also Puritan are also much more transparent with their product descriptions. I find iherb a bit "tricky" eg with the Omega 3 fish oils that I have to take, Puritans specify the EPA/DHA levels - the critical elements - where iherb don't -they just make vague claims and the reality is their levels are comparatively low.

How do you know they are higher quality? How do you know Puritan has higher levels? There is virtually no regulation of the supplement industry in the USA. Therefore, the only real way to come to such a conclusion is to simply believe what the companies put on the label or hire a lab (incredibly expensive) to privatley test the products. There is really no FDA oversight for any of this stuff.

You can get Blackmores brand (Australian product) here.

And you can get Kirkland brand (US) here http://swansonthailand.net/kirkland-vitamins/

I believe the mercury issue is only for fish from the sea. Plenty of fresh water fish here.

You are right. I didn't consider that fresh water fish probably doesn't contain mercury.

Kirkland brand should be fine. It is Costcos house brand in the USA. Millions of Americans use their products.

Thanks folks. Quick look and i herb has solgar products, from experience one of the better companies. Might pick up something locally anyways. I am gun shy ordering mail anymore, I got burnt by customs and the FDA. I know i herb may be Thai, but I am still gun shy.

Carlson's lists EPA/DHA too on the bottle.

Archived