Police hunt thugs who brutally attacked British family in Hua Hin

There needs to be a better publicized sense of the underground sentiment/evidence of we all know anecdotally: Thais do not like farangs.

They never really have liked foreigners but it's getting worse, particularly amongst the lo-so.

If better surveys were to circulate to really document this apparent fact, perhaps authorities would be more proactive, violence less forthcoming in opportunity and cultural change may take place.

I say this but know that they just do not like us and nothing will change. More gutless assaults to come. That vision was disgusting but there will be some Thais rejoicing the event.

I don't think the fact that they were farangs had much to do with this at all.

you really think they would have beat elderly thais in such a fashion? would they have kicked a 65yr old thai woman in the face as she lay on the ground semi conscious?

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There needs to be a better publicized sense of the underground sentiment/evidence of we all know anecdotally: Thais do not like farangs.

They never really have liked foreigners but it's getting worse, particularly amongst the lo-so.

If better surveys were to circulate to really document this apparent fact, perhaps authorities would be more proactive, violence less forthcoming in opportunity and cultural change may take place.

I say this but know that they just do not like us and nothing will change. More gutless assaults to come. That vision was disgusting but there will be some Thais rejoicing the event.

I don't think the fact that they were farangs had much to do with this at all.

My point remains true generally, but do not know how you can discount its validity in this specific example in any event?

It was a savage, and deliberate assault on peoples for reasons the vision does not explain.The man in the black T shirt seems intent on inflicting violence. And what of the foot stamping on his face by another party? It seems fair to assume the foreigners ethnicity has some play here until better informed.

revolting behaviour but not unexpected I suppose this is the LOS I have a friend who has planed to move his family to Hua Hin in September as he thinks that it would be a safer place for his wife and kids to be when he has to travel on business if he reads this he might be continuing his stay in Bangkok. have the Thais simply zero morals and upbringing to attack an elderly woman in the street, these people need to be taken off the streets permanently, surely once this is plastered over the UK media it will deter elderly or couples with family coming to Thailand for a bit of culture think Thailand best left to the evil Thai youth and the sexpats .

We are tollerated not liked. We are not loved...only our money. They have a love for Thailand deeper than any partnership, union or marrriage. Give a Thai a choice between their love for you and their love for Thailand and you will find yourself on that short end... Dare anyone to make that ultimatum...

Let's try to see that from another side. All the girls you fall in love with suddenly get married with a farang." The educational system does a great brain washing to them, Thai teachers don't have too many good words for a farang, just, to "look better", a face saving thing.

Then on your New Year's day, you're drunk like a horse and try to have fun with your friends.

Then you hear that a farang had hit a Thai and you join in. You don't understand the language they speak, but they're all so loud that it seems they're looking for troubles.

I was just wondering what some Thais would look like if they'd have an argument with some British guys in front of a bar somewhere in Liverpool. ( Just an example, could be anywhere else) on a late Friday, or Saturday night? Would "mates" watch Thais kicking their asses?

The one poster already pointed out how dangerous it would be to walk with a Manchester shirt through Liverpool.

Or try somewhere in East Germany, please try to tell them that their language sounds too funny when you're on a holiday.

Alcohol destroys a lot of peoples' brain cells and the governments are okay with it. Money rules.

If they've really taken out a part of the video where the farang attacks a Thai and no details added what has happened before that, it's not really cool to badmouth a whole country for some people.

And before somebody jumps in and tells us that the penalty for queue jumping in the UK is not a good kicking, it wasn't the pushing and shoving that started the beating it was the fact that the woman slapped the Thai mans face and the son punched the other one - go study the detail of the movie before you beat me up!

I do wonder what the Thai guy said to the older lady, that made her react with a slap, I suspect we will never know. Indeed she appears to have reacted unwisely to what was said, again I don't what the Thai guy said, but I don't suspect for one moment she thought the pack mentality would kick in.

They do this to each other also. Like the man who beat his wife to death in a village because she wouldn't give him money for booze. Right in front of the others. Nobody stopped him. Terrible.

They seem to like to gang up on others. And kick them when they are down. Pussies.

Jesus - that was absolutely disgusting. What on Earth is wrong with those guys? Kicking a woman in the face when she is on the ground. They are animals.

Animals don't behave as badly as this.

Only hyenas, the scum in the animal world.

I remember a similar case in Spain in the '70's.
Spain was at that time similar to Thailand now.
A country ruled by the Military (General Franco).
A couple of tourists were beaten by a mob gang who tried to steal their money.

Normally, this case would go trough the normal procedure (Police, Courts, etc).
But then the mob gang would be free if a few days.

Gen. Franco stepped in and ruled that the mob gang committed a crime against the countries economy.
That carried the highest penalty, the death sentence.
The execution of the mob gang was filmed and aired in the news.

No more mob gang crimes against tourists for a long time.

Please share that video to all British tabloids if possible....the world needs to see what can happen here.

it can happen in any country..... in nice... peaceful, polite Canada... over the years I have personally seen a few very brutal beatings.... . including using a person's head like a football..... AFTER they were unconscious..

It's NOT just Thailand it happens in... Why do so many people leave the implication that it is only in Thailand.

If you think Thailand is so bad... why are you still there ? ? Leave and go to where you think it is a lot better...

There's no excuse for the violence that was used by the Thai's who assaulted the Brit family.

Having said that, I see from the video that they went up to the Thais and began arguing pushing etc.

That was a very bad move.

Obviously they thought it would be ok to get into an argument in the street here and push back.

If it gets to that stage, it's already too late.

I learned long ago, always deport yourself with dignity and never lower yourself to behave in a rough manner here in Thailand.

That scene could have been avoided if they had just smiled and kept on walking.

Thais believe that once the other party has lost their cool, the demons are unleashed and anything is possible.

Never become confrontational, especially when they have been drinking.

You touch a thai, man or woman, unwanted, they will react violently.

Well, after 16 seconds in the Video the Farang hits the Thai man passing, discussion starts and on second 52 the English Lady hits the Thai man in the face.

That are the first hits made in the video.

Even the lady hits the man it is not an excuse for a mob to kick the daylight out of others.

I agree that this violence is absolute not done and the boys need to be tracked down by police and get punished.

But after looking several times I can not agree that the tourist where passive and just passing.

I think you're missing a couple of things. I have looked at the video several times and I see things developing a bit differently.

At the start the Thai drunk in the light shirt is in some kind of pushing match with another Thai in a black shirt who passes by and disappears into the crowd. At 16 seconds the Farang man in the black shirt gently pushes the light shirt Thai with one hand as he passes. Then, the Thai drunk responds by aggressively pushing the Farang who falls over, hits his head and sits on the ground before the other (older) Farang in the flowered shirt helps him up. THIS is the first real hit made in the movie, not what you state. Meanwhile the Farang woman is arguing with the Thai drunk about what he did and eventually slaps him in the face at 51 seconds.

Things kind of stay in a bit of a heated discussion and pushing match for the next 35-40 seconds. Another Farang man in a striped shirt steps in to try to help the three others. This is the point where the real violence starts at about 1:30. A young Thai in a black shirt runs in from the right and sucker punches the older Farang knocking him to the ground. Another little Thai thug in a red shirt starts fighting the striped shirt Farang who is eventually hustled off by a small Thai woman into the crowd. The same black shirt Thai punches the elderly woman knocking her to the ground and then the same for the original Farang in the black shirt.

Of course once all three are on the ground and apparently unconscious, this is when the rest of little thugs move in and start kicking them when they're down, including one who kicks the woman in the face at 1:48 as she tries to get up. They then move off with the red shirted little rat landing one last kick at the prone unconscious black shirt Farang as they leave the scene. I can't follow what happened to the original Thai drunk, but he doesn't seem to be involved after the main sickening scene develops at 1:30.

This is what I see. It is a bit confusing, but the three Farangs were in fact relatively under control and certainly didn't provoke the main violence by the young thugs at 1:30.

Judging by the unbiased reporting and comments, it would seem that people only see what they want to see.

Facts:

Two, most likely drunk, Thai guys have an argument, Thai guy in black turns and walks on; Thai guy in white follows and they continue walking down the soi.

Son of elderly couple, in black shirt and hat, pushes Thai guy in white shirt out of his path.

Thai guy in white responds by returning the courtesy.

Son in black, obviously mortal drunk, trips over own feet and smacks head on table.

Mother seeing her prostrate son, and totally unaware that he pushed the Thai guy first, moves in to defend her assumingly innocent offspring.

Argument ensues, culminating with mother assaulting Thai guy by slapping his face.

Result: All hell breaks loose!

Reality: A farang family got the crap kicked out of them based on two assaults they initiated against Thais.

Opinion: Not saying it’s right or wrong, just saying the farang are wrongly portrayed as being completely innocent in this report.

Question: If some drunken farang pushes you out of his way like he’s the man and you’re a piece of dirt, are you going to be impressed? And likewise, adding insult to injury, said farang’s mother goes on to smack you in the face?

Moral of the story: This is Thailand and we are visitors. So, don’t assault Thais, as they will respond with deadly force. And don’t be fooled into thinking that we deserve special treatment, when Thais go, they go, and whether you’re Thai or farang, young or old, male or female, makes no difference at all.

Welcome to thailand land of gutless thugs.

Iv seen many a gutless thug in USA, England, Australia and so on.. My mate was bashed senseless in London earlier this year.. So your welcome to Thailand comment is irrelevant !!

No it is NOT irrelevant. This kind of thing happens much more often in Thailand than anywhere else. Next time, get your facts right!

This has happened to me in Brazil many years ago when I was on a 3 weeks vacation there. This has never happened to me in Thailand in my over 20 years here. Maybe it is also because I learned something from the incidence in Rio, don't get provoked by thugs, smile and walk away.

I basically agree with you, except for the bit about the 'lo-so'. If you think that rich Thais (or educated Thais, for that matter) have a more positive attitude towards foreigners, you are greatly mistaken. I have known this country for 30 years, lived here for 15 years, and I can assure you that 'hi-so' people are just as prejudiced as others, if not more.

If we were to compile all the negative comments made by Thai people with high positions during the last two decades, that would make a very very thick book. As far as politicians are concerned, no party is better than another in that respect, because blaming foreigners for all domestic problems is the oldest trick in the Book of Demagogy.

Welcome to Thailand......the Land of Smiles and Dental Work !!

It can happen in any country..... in nice... peaceful, polite Canada... over the years I have personally seen a few very brutal beatings.... . including using a person's head like a football..... AFTER they were unconscious.. teeth and blood spewing out of the guy's mouth....went into convulsions.

It's NOT just Thailand it happens in... Why do so many people leave the implication that it is only in Thailand.

If farangs think Thailand is so bad... why are they still there ? ? Leave and go to a country where you think it is a lot better...

Let's try to see that from another side. All the girls you fall in love with suddenly get married with a farang." The educational system does a great brain washing to them, Thai teachers don't have too many good words for a farang, just, to "look better", a face saving thing.

Then on your New Year's day, you're drunk like a horse and try to have fun with your friends.

Then you hear that a farang had hit a Thai and you join in. You don't understand the language they speak, but they're all so loud that it seems they're looking for troubles.

I was just wondering what some Thais would look like if they'd have an argument with some British guys in front of a bar somewhere in Liverpool. ( Just an example, could be anywhere else) on a late Friday, or Saturday night? Would "mates" watch Thais kicking their asses?

The one poster already pointed out how dangerous it would be to walk with a Manchester shirt through Liverpool.

Or try somewhere in East Germany, please try to tell them that their language sounds too funny when you're on a holiday.

Alcohol destroys a lot of peoples' brain cells and the governments are okay with it. Money rules.

If they've really taken out a part of the video where the farang attacks a Thai and no details added what has happened before that, it's not really cool to badmouth a whole country for some people.

Agree the video looks doctored but i have not speculated further than what I know to be true and know to be shared by many, that Thais really do not like farangs.

It might the same in England re Pakistanis or whatever, however i was moving to consider better ways to evidence this in THailand. Thais may have good reasons for foreigner resentment despite the tourism benefits but no one has really done a study i have read which quantitatively and qualitatively measures a social phenomena on topic that has reasonable circumstances to sponsor it.

I am not bad mouthing Thais. My wife agrees with my pov in this specific case and in the general anti farang trend. Why not expose it as a phenomena and deal with it as England as had to with UKIP outcomes and europe generally with racial issues. There are racial issues in Asia too. Dimensionalise it.

Archived