Five killed and seven injured in van accident

webfact

Five killed and seven injured in van accident

560_Van-wpcf_728x409.jpg

SURAT THANI: -- Five members of two families were killed and seven others injured when a passenger van in which they were travelling on their home from attending a graduation ceremony in Chon Buri crashed into a roadside tree, slid out of the road and overturned in Surat Thani’s Chaiya district Wednesday.

Police said that three of the passengers died at the scene. They were identified as Mrs Wannee Jongrak, 37; Mrs Somjai Bootnoi, 58; and 7-year old boy Time Sutork. The rest injured were rushed to Chaiya district hospital for medical treatment but two of them were later pronounced dead. They were identified as Mr Sitthisak Sutork, a kamnan of Tambon Klong Thon; his 4-year old daughter Ms Prapada.

Police said that the group went to Chon Buri to attend a graduation ceremony of one of their children at Burapha University. After the ceremony, they returned home in the same passenger van.

Police used a breathalyzer to check whether the driver was drunk while driving or not but the result was negative. However, the driver admitted that he fell asleep momentarily while driving because he felt tired for having driven a long distance from Chon Buri to Surat Thani.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/161282

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-04-28

These sort of accidents happen so often that they are not even news worthy anymore. They are so common that I feel nothing when I read about another "van accident" or "bus crash."

I've personally seen so many accidents here over the years that I don't even flinch when brains are scattered on the road. I totally understand why the first responders take photos with the dead, because they are completely desensitized.

Sad.

Very sad, tragic accident, RIP to the deceased.

That car was traveling at very high speed for all of that debris to be spread over that area and the roof to be torn off that way, I can see at least two trees leveled on the opposite side of the road at least 100 meters from the accident.the driver "admitted that he fell asleep momentarily while driving"

In my Country if you admit to falling asleep at the wheel, you will be charged with vehicular man slaughter.

Driving tired is the same as driving drunk.

We all know this will get worse and worse. In America, crazier and crazier things are happening. The one thing these stories do is to remind me how life can change or end any given day. does help with stress....

everyone have a good day, you never know....

5 + 7 = 12 people in that van? The driver drove from Chon Buri to Surat Thani? Bad numbers all around

Sure.

Makes perfect sense to me as this is a non-VIP van but standard one.

Commuter has 14 seats.

Toyota%20commueter%202.jpg

5 + 7 = 12 people in that van? The driver drove from Chon Buri to Surat Thani? Bad numbers all around

yes, google maps says 9 hours and 18 minutes not including stops each way.

"Police said that the group went to Chon Buri to attend a graduation ceremony of one of their children at Burapha University. After the ceremony, they returned home in the same passenger van."

so 20 hours of driving over what period of time?

RIP.

Edited by NCC1701A

They should test all drivers who cause accidents by falling asleep at the wheel for caffeine. Many of them take caffeine-enriched "vitamin": drinks to stay awake for absurdly long driving shifts. When the effects wear off, the desire to sleep is overwhelming - and the results, unfortunately, often tragic.

Banning caffeine-enhanced drinks is probably not practical. The real answer is the enforcement of regulations limiting the number of hours bus, taxi and minivan drivers can work at a stretch.

That car was traveling at very high speed for all of that debris to be spread over that area and the roof to be torn off that way, I can see at least two trees leveled on the opposite side of the road at least 100 meters from the accident.the driver "admitted that he fell asleep momentarily while driving"

In my Country if you admit to falling asleep at the wheel, you will be charged with vehicular man slaughter.

It's good to have an accident reconstruction expert on hand who can figure it all out from looking at one blurry photo!

It's good to have an accident reconstruction expert on hand who can figure it all out from looking at one blurry photo!

Thanks for the post, I used to drive tow trucks, I have seen hundreds of fatal car crashes, the babies spread across the road and the mother screaming her head off, stays with you forever.

If you think that photo is blurry, OPSM have a free eye test this month.

Thanks for the post, I used to drive tow trucks, I have seen hundreds of fatal car crashes, the babies spread across the road and the mother screaming her head off, stays with you forever.

OK then. All sorted. An accident reconstruction expert AND used to drive tow trucks!

seatbelts are simply a "non thought" to the vast majority except in the front seat to avoid police harassment.

i have rarely seen local buckle up in the many vans i have been in. same for buses.

incompetence + poor education + negligence + poor maintenance + fatigue + drugs/alcohol = death

We all know this will get worse and worse. In America, crazier and crazier things are happening. The one thing these stories do is to remind me how life can change or end any given day. does help with stress....

What has America got to do with a driver falling asleep in Thailand?

seatbelts are simply a "non thought" to the vast majority except in the front seat to avoid police harassment.

i have rarely seen local buckle up in the many vans i have been in. same for buses.

incompetence + poor education + negligence + poor maintenance + fatigue + drugs/alcohol = death

.... another frustrating and incredulous factor is that in almost all vans, of those I've seen, the seatbelts have been removed, or tied up or bolted away. When you have to buckle up you can't. Amazing irresponsibility of the van owners

What has America got to do with a driver falling asleep in Thailand?

suspect he's making a tenuous link between the senseless death toll on the roads in thailand and the senseless death toll in the USA due to guns, and neither the government or population in these countries having the will, the common sense or basic humanity to do anything it.

I think this has partly do with Thai frugality. The more reasonable (but more expensive) way would be drive a day early and take ur time. Rest overnight at a hotel. Wake up and spend a day at graduation, have dinner, have another good night's rest. Wake up early and then drive home. But this would cost 2 nights accommodation and hiring van/driver for 3 days.

To cram 9 hour drive then a whole graduation (where u will be out in the sun taking photos) and drive 9 hours back - just because u don't want to pay for accommodation, airfare or more driver/van time is small-minded thinking. Whilst it is driver error, he is only human. Just driving one leg of 4 hours (let alone 9) is exhausting.

Save some money but risk ur lives. If u can't afford to travel safely/properly then don't go...

OK then. All sorted. An accident reconstruction expert AND used to drive tow trucks!

You forgot the <deleted> wit with his poor and heartless attempt at a troll post, from a fatal and tragic accident.