Thailand is used to hot Aprils, but not this hot!

webfact

"The average peak temperature each day this month has been above 40 degrees Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit), with the mercury spiking one day to 44.3 degrees C (111.7 F) — just short of the all-time record.

"As of now we can say we've broken the record for the highest temperatures over the longest duration in 65 years — and the season isn't over yet," said Surapong Sarapa, head of the Thai Meteorological Department's weather forecast division. Thailand began keeping national weather records after 1950.

On this very day, April 27, in 1960, Thailand posted its hottest day ever recorded with 44.5 degrees Celsius (112 F) in the northern province of Uttaradit."

blink.png facepalm.gif

He is saying that the record for high temps over a certain period of many days has been broken not the single instantaneous highest temp.

Oops.....you're right...thx for the correction!

We're getting daytime temperatures of around 35C so we should count our blessings. My 9 year old Persian cat is really suffering, I've never seen him panting like a dog before. I'm thinking of sleeping out on the patio with a fan as the wife and I don't like aircon. How we must suffer.

I live in Uttaradit and I am sure it must be close to beating the previous record. I had to ride my scooter yesterday at around 12pm and I could feel my skin beginning to burn, luckily I did not have far to go. I am definitely going home next year during this time so I miss Songkran and the heat. 11 years living in just this town and this has 100% been the hottest I remember.

And I thought it was hot in Phuket but it seems like it's positively mild here!

Likely because of the sea breeze. I stay near the beach in Chumphon and fortunately the breeze keeps off a lot of heat.

The worst day(s) this past month was when there was no breeze during most of the day and at night. If there is a breeze, it is bearable. Especially at the beach.

Edited by 4evermaat

... I usually have an afternoon walk towards Hobs on Thonglor, which is around 1200 meters going and again back, this time around I took taxi or motorsai both ways, as it was simply too hot to walk that distance, especially out of the shade.

I was in LOS in March 2010 and my now wife and I had a 200 yard walk to make in the heat of the afternoon and just couldn't cope with the intensity of the humidity or the effort involved in strolling such a short distance so jumped in a taxi. Even my Thai wife was sweating.

We avoid LOS in March/April now and come over end of May and mid-November each year. I can just about cope with end of May.

... I usually have an afternoon walk towards Hobs on Thonglor, which is around 1200 meters going and again back, this time around I took taxi or motorsai both ways, as it was simply too hot to walk that distance, especially out of the shade.

I was in LOS in March 2010 and my now wife and I had a 200 yard walk to make in the heat of the afternoon and just couldn't cope with the intensity of the humidity or the effort involved in strolling such a short distance so jumped in a taxi. Even my Thai wife was sweating.

We avoid LOS in March/April now and come over end of May and mid-November each year. I can just about cope with end of May.

Ha, 200 yards wouldn't be a problem, I would remain dry, but 1200 meters is too long, and I run the risk to start sweating at around 600 meters or so. And since I like to sit outside, cooling down is a concern :)

The republicans amongst us may disagree (hand of God and all that) but if the world doesn't wake up soon bangkok will be underwater ?

Their have been sating that for the past 28 years that Bangkok will be under water one day.

But one must credit former-PM Yingluck with having made a really decent attempt to achieve that ambition ! rolleyes.gif

Whereas the military now try to crack down on hot air about constitutions & voting & the like ? whistling.gif

I recall once flying from Bangkok (muggy mid-evening departure) to Stockholm (icy early-morning landing), and then having to scrape a foot of snow off my car parked at Arlanda, before driving home. Either would be bliss compared to the current blast-furnace conditions in Chiang Mai ! coffee1.gif (reaches for iced-coffee)

Where is Mr Wanchai Sak-udomchai, director-general of the Meteorological Department? Has he surfaced yet?

You know, the genius who assured us back last month that, "as Thailand has no desert, the chance of being hit by heat wave is impossible"... whistling.gif

Athens in Greece hits 40C in the summer but you dont hear the whining like when it gets hot in Thailand and most of the accommodation there does not have air conditioning

But the 40C summer heat in Greece does not generally come with the attendant humidity we get in Thailand: 75% in Bangkok in April, 45% in Athens in August. Also the evening and nighttime temperatures in Athens are lower. so you just let us keep whining. I've been living here for 12 years now and this is the hottest I have ever been.

Agree. I moved to Thailand in 2006 and this has been the hottest month for me ever. I have the heat rashes to prove it ... lol. I too have been whining but fortunately I have friends who can tolerate it. I'm glad Thai Visa published the article, for a while there I thought I was turning into a grumpy old man way before my time.

In the 30 plus years that I have been coming to and living in Thailand I have never known it to be this hot for such a long period. I dread to think what my power bill will be this month, my a/c has never worked so hard.

record power bill for me 4700 Bht , but don't forget how cold it was a month or so back, record flooding and snow, cold in europe.

Very cold , actually nice in LOS longer than usual'

When the rain come's maybe we will get record flooding ,who knows?

This has happened before in the 60,s.

Do I believe that it's ell Nino, well that's the name touted for everything wrong with the weather.

I believe its just a cycle that we are going through and it's possibly a cold cycle according to a few books that I have read that say global warming is a money making scam for the carbon credit boys.

Watch the weather reports and make your own mind up,

Athens in Greece hits 40C in the summer but you dont hear the whining like when it gets hot in Thailand and most of the accommodation there does not have air conditioning

I wouldn't whine either if I could get the Germans to pay my pension....ha ha