Passenger stopped with 13kg gas canister before boarding Phuket bound flight

webfact

He checked the bag in at the ticket counter and then went through the personal screening. He then proceeded to the gate. While at gate his checked bag made its way through the X Ray and the staff detected the problem. They took the bag to the gate and asked the guy to confirm that the bag was his and then had him open the bag. Very understandable except if there was a bomb it would have made it to the gate. I would think that the guy and his baggage would have been taken to a more secure location and not the gate where many people were present.

Edited by ttthailand

"The whole episode at Gate 74 Don Meuang on Tuesday afternoon was described on a Facebook page by a fellow passenger who took pictures. She quoted the owner of the gas telling staff "why didn't you tell me I couldn't take it before I got this far?"

It's a good point.

Actually this is a valid point, on my last flight from the Uk to BKK with a plane change at Dubai I boarded with a 50metre roll of "earth wire"

I was flying Emirates and the Uk security check said the reel was fine to take as hand luggage.

Got off to change planes at Dubai with the same carrier and it was confiscated on arrival and I then flew on to BKK minus the reel.

Bloomin nuts

You would think a journalist would include what type of gas?

Looking at the tank it appears to be helium used for party balloons

Looks like a small picnic size LPG cylinder to me. Besides, and incredibly, party balloons in Thailand are usually filled with hydrogen because helium is too expensive.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter what the cylinder is filled with. Even with helium, if the tank or valve ruptured at altitude, the result would still be a bomb and disastrous to the aircraft and people inside.

Be careful with the balloons for kids. Down South i found they have a habit of using cooking gas to inflate them!!

You would think a journalist would include what type of gas?

Looking at the tank it appears to be helium used for party balloons

Looks like a small picnic size LPG cylinder to me. Besides, and incredibly, party balloons in Thailand are usually filled with hydrogen because helium is too expensive.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter what the cylinder is filled with. Even with helium, if the tank or valve ruptured at altitude, the result would still be a bomb and disastrous to the aircraft and people inside.

Be careful with the balloons for kids. Down South i found they have a habit of using cooking gas to inflate them!!

But propane (cooking gas) is heavier than air.

Anyway, let's continue in the more recent thread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/913420-aot-clarifies-gas-tank-found-in-baggage-of-a-passenger-before-boarding-at-don-mueang-airport/

Closed.