Thailand Elite Long Stay Visa Membership Privileges

Ugh I didn't explain well. Shouldn't my visa from june 08 2016 expire on june 07 2021. that is exactly five years.

Yes it should of been until June 7th. 2021.

Imho, it shouldn´t.... :-)

As far as I understand it, the maximum period the "TE visa" is valid for is the period of your membership. Your TE membership started in May 2016. The fact that you went to CW to have your sticker put in today is irrelevant as it does not extend the time of your TE membership.

PS: Oops, contradicting ubonjoe on the Topic of visa regulations feels like committing virtual TV suicide. ;-)))

The programme is set up in order to enable 5 full years of Visa usage, regardless when you actually applied for the membership. The 5 years start the day they affix the Visa in your passport. Hence, it's very unlikely you will be able to swing 6 years out of it by leaving and re-entering the country just before the Visa expires. It's a fair programme for both parties in that respect.

The programme is set up in order to enable 5 full years of Visa usage, regardless when you actually applied for the membership. The 5 years start the day they affix the Visa in your passport. Hence, it's very unlikely you will be able to swing 6 years out of it by leaving and re-entering the country just before the Visa expires. It's a fair programme for both parties in that respect.

You might well be correct on both claims, Ronuk.

My comments are just based on what I read on TV from other TE members who said/claimed that

a/ the visa expires 5 years after joining TE and not 5 years after they had the sticker put into their passports and

b/ they were told (but not in writing) that as you always get a new 1 year stamp whenever you re-enter the country that you could also do that before your membership comes to an end, thus squeezing 6 years out of your 5 year membership.

I like the fact that anotheruser will check with TE and report back to the forum in due course.

• Like 1

You might well be correct on both claims, Ronuk.

My comments are just based on what I read on TV from other TE members who said/claimed that

a/ the visa expires 5 years after joining TE and not 5 years after they had the sticker put into their passports and

b/ they were told (but not in writing) that as you always get a new 1 year stamp whenever you re-enter the country that you could also do that before your membership comes to an end, thus squeezing 6 years out of your 5 year membership.

I like the fact that anotheruser will check with TE and report back to the forum in due course.

The Visa is 100% valid for 5 years the day it go's in your passport and not when you apply for membership. Even after you have been accepted TE state they need at least 14 days of your intended arrival to have the visa affixed.

I am no Visa expert but if say your 5 year Visa was to run out on 31st December 2016 and you left and re-entered the country on say 1st December 2016, is it legal to have a further 1 year stamp in your passport that would allow you to stay a further 12 months on an expired Visa? As I say, I am no expert on Visa legalities.

Nobody knows that yet but I would doubt they are dumb enough to give a year away free.

Someone did confirm that Thailand Elite confirmed this is the case and you would get a year entry even if you arrived just prior to the expiration date, I can't remember where but it's on this forum somewhere.

Of course all of the additional perks and services would end on the date your membership ends which may or may not be before the visa expiry date by the looks of it and the next time you leave the country your visa would have expired.

I suspect many people will renew anyway, I wonder if there will be any incentives to renew offered ?

• Like 1

Nobody knows that yet but I would doubt they are dumb enough to give a year away free.

Someone did confirm that Thailand Elite confirmed this is the case and you would get a year entry even if you arrived just prior to the expiration date, I can't remember where but it's on this forum somewhere.

Of course all of the additional perks and services would end on the date your membership ends which may or may not be before the visa expiry date by the looks of it and the next time you leave the country your visa would have expired.

I suspect many people will renew anyway, I wonder if there will be any incentives to renew offered ?[/quote

Sure but I would want a better confirmation of this before I banked on it.

I agree on interpreting the TE program for what, at least I feel, it truly is: A way to grant long term visas to people who can 'prove' they have funds and are not here for non-legitimate means. I think Thailand feels safe that who ever can pay for a PE visa is not trying to secretly be here or work illegally :) In that light I can respect it.

Still would have preferred if PE was listed along T, B, O, and the other Visas. But whatever :)

I know there's a lot of arguing back and forth, but the only point I would really like to emphasize is:

There may be alternatives to the TE visa for certain individuals that are worth exploring. To reject the TE in favour of another is not a testament to one's net worth or wallet size.

For the moment, I still calculate the 'Spend a week vacation somewhere in SE Asia every 2-3 months' to accomplish the same at the same amount of money.

I would also caution against a 20-year membership. Visa rules around the world change, and 20 years is a long horizon (with minimal advantage over a 5 year membership). A simple scenario could be that in 5-10 years Thailand could have a new Visa agreement with G7 countries granting them 90 day visa on arrival (a courtesy already extended to many other countries). This could be coupled with a 90-day extension that could be applied online (as we move forward with progress this should be feasible). I would imagine many people would see this as a more than adequate solution to their Thailand residency means.

For those who question changing Visa requirements: It happens often enough. Americans/Canadians need to keep an eye out on July with regards tow hat happens to Shengen Visa requirements (they might change it!). And there is some talk about Thai-Canada FTA which could open the doors more to Canadian Snowbirds :)

• Like 2

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your interest and have discussed about this topic. Your comments are important to us! We are continuously looking for ways in which to improve the quality of our services offered to our customers.

Please don’t forget to follow us on https://www.facebook.com/thailandelite.

The Thailand Elite Team

• Like 2

Alright just a small update. I went today to open a bank account. At Thai Krung they wouldn't talk to me with no work permit. I called TE and they said they had their contract with Bangkok bank. They said I would need a document from them that would take up to a week to get. I decided to try without it anyway because I was right in front of the bank in the mall anyway. The lady look puzzled by the visa and membership card. I explained what it was and she went and made some calls. She came back and asked me for my membership letter and I gave her that along with the receipt for joining. She made a few more calls and then told me she couldn't do it with out the needed document.

So I wrongly assumed the visa was enough to open an account. So just putting it out there for other new members if you want to guarantee you can open an account make sure you email TE member services first and tell them 5 to 7 business days in advance what branch you want to open an account at. From the look on the ladies face at the bank she had probably never seen an elite visa before. So ironically it might have been easier to open an account on a tourist visa as some people report they have been able to do so. Do people need to get a separate document to open a bank account when they have a retirement visa?

Just asking out of curiosity. Anyway this post is just a heads up to get whatever the paper is ahead of time so people don't waste their time.

We could probably make a sticky thread that has only hard facts at some point. This thread is useful and fun to debate the merits of the program but perhaps a thread with only verified info would be useful for some people? I think a lot of info gets lost in the exchanges in this one making it necessary to dig through 10 pages of thread to get info that could be condensed into one or two posts.

• Like 1

I think that's what they are offering already.

Yes but you have to join for a minimum of 5 years which is fine if you're planning on staying for 5 years.

I think a 1 year only option would be a big hit with the 'gap year' types who will have their parents pay for it and then use Thailand as a 'safe base' for further travels around Asia. It could be marketed as such.

Bangkok Bank offers some good options if you put 2million BHT, I think it is in your account. They will still open a simple cash card (ATM) and passbook account on the strength of a temporary address and a passport. I did one quickly in December for a friend in Hua Hin. It all took about 30 minutes and you walk out with an ATM/Debit card and passbook. Vey quick and simple.

Bangkok Bank offers some good options if you put 2million BHT, I think it is in your account. They will still open a simple cash card (ATM) and passbook account on the strength of a temporary address and a passport. I did one quickly in December for a friend in Hua Hin. It all took about 30 minutes and you walk out with an ATM/Debit card and passbook. Vey quick and simple.

As I said the Thai Elite visa affixed in your passport will guarantee you need an additional document and an appointment will be set. They said just my passport and the card would be needed as my card is linked to my address I won't need any proof of where I live it is documented already.

Or that was the case for me in Bangkok anyway. Just remembered you are a member as well so maybe it isn't the case anywhere but that is the official policy I have been told by Thai Elite.

Edited by anotheruser

As I said the Thai Elite visa affixed in your passport will guarantee you need an additional document and an appointment will be set. They said just my passport and the card would be needed as my card is linked to my address I won't need any proof of where I live it is documented already.

Or that was the case for me in Bangkok anyway. Just remembered you are a member as well so maybe it isn't the case anywhere but that is the official policy I have been told by Thai Elite.

I am going to test the water when I next fly in in a couple of weeks. I agree though and I think it's the proper type of Bank accounts the TE give access too with a personal banking manager rather than just a cash card account which I have found possible to open in most places. If you look direct at the Bangkok Bank website, they do some good bank accounts if you can put a few bob in there. Lets us know how you get on anyway and what they offer you.

• Like 1

Question is: will other banks open on this? Because if i joined (which I don't intend to anytime soon), I'd expect red carpet treatment, live like a Thai citizen kind of thing, not..."we only work with Bangkok Bank".

They told me they only work with Bangkok bank over the phone. I haven't looked into it any further because I simply don't really care that much. I will only be putting relatively small amounts into this account anyway. The way the banking works with this visa is somewhat quirky in my opinion. It is another area they will need to improve if they want to become more attractive to a wider base of people.

I would have preferred Krung Thai because they have an ATM at the 7/11 at the foot of my condo building. I will probably ask them to confirm more formally that I am only able to use Bangkok bank with their program. I am sure other banks may make an account whether it is officially condoned or not. However i would like to know the official stance and will ask at some point via email. It will also be interesting to see if they show up at the bank. They gave me a specific time to go to the bank so they may show up and hit me with the 2,000 Baht charge. If this is the case I certainly will be a little annoyed with them. I don't need anybody to join me I just need the letter and I think I can handle opening an account all by my little self.

Will keep you updated Ronuk. I am trying to give as much info as I can in this thread.

Edited by anotheruser
  • Like 2

I am just looking at the services they offer. It says the first time of using the EPL (Elite personnel Liaison) for opening a Bank account, obtaining a drivers Licence or using there Immigration service, is free so they shouldn't charge you. I actually think you are right and they will be sending someone to help you with the process and to make sure it happens.

Edited by Ronuk

I was able to open up a bank account at Bangkok Bank in Phuket with (as far as I recall) no problems. They spoke sufficient English. Charged me for an insurance that I don't need/want. Gave me my bank card and online banking. I can use my mobile phone to do all my banking. Works perfectly.

The downside with Bangkok Bank is, at least for me: Good luck finding an ATM :P Everywhere I go I see all the colours but Bangkok Bank :P

As for the PE Visa: To be fair, we should also be fair. Not many countries offer any means of staying for 5-20 years without having to cross the border. So the fact that Thailand offers this should be acknowledged as a positive.

Thailand even offers a 'Retirement' Visa, which many other countries do not... another positive note for Thailand.

To be fair: Thailand offers many ways to stay and visit that are not available to other countries. To expect more is a bit unreasonable. To offer advice on how they can improve their program is always good tho :)

I don't have a TE/PE Visa as I travel in/out of the country so much that I can do nicely with METV/SETV/30-day visa. But it is comforting to know that should I be in a position where I want to stay for multi-years continuously that I do have an option. Something not even offered by '1st world' places such as Schengen :(

• Like 2

Alright so got back from the Bank appointment. Was offered just a standard savings account with ATM card. Didn't ask for anything else. Nobody met me but the bank seemed to know I was coming. Gave them the letter I printed off from Thai Elite and things went as they normally would. No 2,000 Baht fee or anything like that. So if you want to make an account with the elite program just make sure you request the documents to be emailed to you and say what branch of Bangkok Bank you want to do it at.

Not much more to say about it.

• Like 2

Alright so got back from the Bank appointment. Was offered just a standard savings account with ATM card. Didn't ask for anything else. Nobody met me but the bank seemed to know I was coming. Gave them the letter I printed off from Thai Elite and things went as they normally would. No 2,000 Baht fee or anything like that. So if you want to make an account with the elite program just make sure you request the documents to be emailed to you and say what branch of Bangkok Bank you want to do it at.

Not much more to say about it.

Thank you very much for your update! It´s great to have this sort of feedback from TE members!

Question: Did you ask / get online banking access with the account? Some people on the TV forum reported being denied online banking access to their Bangkok Bank savings accounts.

• Like 1