Thailand Elite Long Stay Visa Membership Privileges

Ive  just stumbled across this thread and havent read  it  all but  just found  out on their website of the 20 year visa 4x5yrs for 1000000 baht, thats  quite appealing to me as its only 50k a  year and no annual fees, my worry would be they decide to introduce it later  upping the cost/cancel the whole scheme etc

My question is after 20 years could i go back to my "married to a Thai route" I use now using the 20 year old Non O married to a Thai I have now stamp from 2  years ago although passport would have expired etc I mean would they take into account without me having to leave Thailand to go back to the Uk and  apply for another NON O but go on the stamps currently in my passport?

1 hour ago, kannot said:

Ive  just stumbled across this thread and havent read  it  all but  just found  out on their website of the 20 year visa 4x5yrs for 1000000 baht, thats  quite appealing to me as its only 50k a  year and no annual fees, my worry would be they decide to introduce it later  upping the cost/cancel the whole scheme etc

My question is after 20 years could i go back to my "married to a Thai route" I use now using the 20 year old Non O married to a Thai I have now stamp from 2  years ago although passport would have expired etc I mean would they take into account without me having to leave Thailand to go back to the Uk and  apply for another NON O but go on the stamps currently in my passport?

The Thai Elite program has be around for about 13 years and has survived 2 coups and changes of government. I cannot see it going away. 

I cannot predict what the situation will be 20 years from now as to what will be possible as far as visas and extensions go. Today you would have to change to a non-o visa entry to apply for an extension based upon marriage since the PE visa is not a non immigrant visa.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The Thai Elite program has be around for about 13 years and has survived 2 coups and changes of government. I cannot see it going away. 

I cannot predict what the situation will be 20 years from now as to what will be possible as far as visas and extensions go. Today you would have to change to a non-o visa entry to apply for an extension based upon marriage since the PE visa is not a non immigrant visa.

I have a non o now based on marriage and do yearly extensions and might just change to this one from Elite, would that be possible on my current permission to stay which expires march next year? Ie  could I just swap to an elite visa after that in March 2017?

I just dont  want any hassles for the next 20 years and it would suit me.

Ubon Joe you do a great job..............but I guess many already know that.

56 minutes ago, kannot said:

I have a non o now based on marriage and do yearly extensions and might just change to this one from Elite, would that be possible on my current permission to stay which expires march next year? Ie  could I just swap to an elite visa after that in March 2017?

I just dont  want any hassles for the next 20 years and it would suit me.

Ubon Joe you do a great job..............but I guess many already know that.

I believe you would need to cancel your non O when you require the PE visa to start.

4 minutes ago, Ronuk said:

I believe you would need to cancel your non O when you require the PE visa to start.

He does not have a valid non-o visa to cancel. What they could do in March would be to cancel his current extension and stamp a one year entry after the PE visa ia issued at Chaeng Wattana immigration. If not he might have to fly out and back and get the PE visa and one year entry when he enters at BKK.

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

He does not have a valid non-o visa to cancel. What they could do in March would be to cancel his current extension and stamp a one year entry after the PE visa ia issued at Chaeng Wattana immigration. If not he might have to fly out and back and get the PE visa and one year entry when he enters at BKK.

Thanks am waiting to see now how Prachuap immigration is next year, I had no problem renewing my ex stay  due to marriage this year BUT the  immigration woman said  next time to do "retirement" which i dont want, she was quite insistent saying more " hi so" and the visa I was on was for "working" which I have never  done...............the reality is for them its  much easier ,they dont have to send any paperwork to BKK it could be done in a  day................end of the  day just lazy it seems.

Im wondering if anyone else has had this"story" told to them in the last 6  months by immigration?

Reason is I dont like to tie up 800k baht every year and the PE visa  seems  a  better way for "me"

Why not just direct your questions to Thai elite directly? They are prompt in their replies. It seems to me there are many questions asked that TE could answer by themselves. In reality this will eliminate 90% of people that aren't sincerely interested and be more informative to those who are actually in the market. 

I don't know and neither does Ubonjoe the exact details, so why not actively engage TE if you have sincere interest?

Edited by anotheruser

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Either way, he needs to cancel any visa or extension in his passport before they will issue the PE visa. They will stipulate that when applies. They will not even consider the application while he is on any other visa or extension. Best he contacts TE for the correct way to proceed.

2 hours ago, Ronuk said:

They will not even consider the application while he is on any other visa or extension.

That would mean a person could not be in the country when they apply or perhaps a visa exempt entry. I am certain a person can apply while on a visa entry or an extension of stay.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

That would mean a person could not be in the country when they apply or perhaps a visa exempt entry. I am certain a person can apply while on a visa entry or an extension of stay.

Yes you can, but you still need to leave the country, come back, get greeted by the TE staff, which will then slap the visa sticker in your passport. 

This comes directly from the TE staff as it was told to me over the phone. Currently being on a 12 months extension of stay based on marriage. 

I specifically asked if they can change it to the PE visa at CW which they answered with what I said above. 

• Like 1

I am going to do it as well next July when the O marriage expires ...heading to Laos while is painless from a paperwork point is a however a waste of time at most to describe it politely and that is not a Lux experience

Granted there are some that like to do that trip and take the 2/3 days to get it done for another year

At 50k annual ...it may be worth the time to change this now

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I have just been thro the procedure and to be truthful its quite straight forward even tho I am not really happy about a couple of irritations.

First the staff who man the desk at Sathorn are really not that helpful to walk in customers, I had to talk to 2 assistants on the desk (very poor English) before I got 2 Elite sales personnel who basically just wanted to pick a fight with me until I told them straight I am going to give you all this money for no straight answers and your ridiculous attitude (you get tired of listening to Can Not , Can not with no reason why I can not!!!)...this cooled them down and from that moment all was great and they explained all in great detail.

What i just dont agree with is this part (I had a retirement extension when I applied...plus I dont live in BKK) ...so if you dont want to fly out, first of all you MUST cancel your extension (even if 11 months are left on the extension validity) at your local Immigration office then apply for a 7 day extension cost of 1900 baht (after you have just paid all this money to join PE!!!) your New Visa must be affixed within the 7 day extension (affix visa appointment at C Wattana must be made before you cancel extensions or apply for 7 day extension as you need to show proof for reason of Extension cancellation etc etc

From what I picked up at TE Sathorn there IS friction between Immigration and TE..hence the stupidity of not being able to cancel extensions and then issue the PE visa at the same time

Hope this helps some , I no longer use TV so i wont be replying

5 minutes ago, terryp said:

I have just been thro the procedure and to be truthful its quite straight forward even tho I am not really happy about a couple of irritations.

First the staff who man the desk at Sathorn are really not that helpful to walk in customers, I had to talk to 2 assistants on the desk (very poor English) before I got 2 Elite sales personnel who basically just wanted to pick a fight with me until I told them straight I am going to give you all this money for no straight answers and your ridiculous attitude (you get tired of listening to Can Not , Can not with no reason why I can not!!!)...this cooled them down and from that moment all was great and they explained all in great detail.

What i just dont agree with is this part (I had a retirement extension when I applied...plus I dont live in BKK) ...so if you dont want to fly out, first of all you MUST cancel your extension (even if 11 months are left on the extension validity) at your local Immigration office then apply for a 7 day extension cost of 1900 baht (after you have just paid all this money to join PE!!!) your New Visa must be affixed within the 7 day extension (affix visa appointment at C Wattana must be made before you cancel extensions or apply for 7 day extension as you need to show proof for reason of Extension cancellation etc etc

From what I picked up at TE Sathorn there IS friction between Immigration and TE..hence the stupidity of not being able to cancel extensions and then issue the PE visa at the same time

Hope this helps some , I no longer use TV so i wont be replying

Did they explain how you can cancel your extension. Immigration will not cancel an extension without a reason to do it. I can think of no valid reason for an extension of stay based upon retirement to be canceled and that includes applying for a PE visa.

I think you will have to leave the country without a re-entry permit and re-enter to get a visa exempt entry to cancel you extension.

After slogging thought all 11 pages here, at least for me, it comes down to a cost/benefit calculation.

500,000 baht for the Easy Access (5-year) package. (I'm 66 so I think 20 years might be a bit optimistic plus there is no guarantee I'll still be in Thailand even in 5 years)

I'm on a retirement extension which, with ME permit and agent fees (roughly 3,000 baht), costs me 8,700 baht per year or 43,500 baht for 5 years. 

No help needed on 90-day reports since I am in and out of the country at least once every 90 days (haven't had to report in the last 2-1/2 years) and don't need the government concierge service since I only go to the immigration office once a year. Don't need help with the TM30 since my condo juristic person does the filing for me.

Cost of going to and from the CM airport by public taxi - 12 round trips at 400 baht each = 4,800 baht. Its a 10 minute drive. Do you really need a limo for that?

Discounts: Gave up playing golf when my step-dad passed away. Spa treatments - even with a discount they are overpriced compared to what I can get here in CM. Shopping discounts? LOL

As for the annual health checkup, my doctor here keeps me running just fine. (Thanks Dr. Morgan).

So, in essence, after deducting what I currently pay for my extension and related costs and going to and from the airport, I would be paying just at 451,700 baht for the privilege of getting the Easy Access card. While your mileage may vary, I can have a lot more fun with the money I would save even though I would be less "privileged." 

Just my thoughts on it.

David

Edited by Genericnic
Correct the math :)
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Genericnic said:

So, in essence, after deducting what I currently pay for my extension and related costs and going to and from the airport, I would be paying just at 321,000 baht for the privilege of getting the Easy Access card. While your mileage may vary, I can have a lot more fun with the money I would save even though I would be less "privileged." 

Just my thoughts on it.

David

Yeah, it's a lot more useful for those who are unmarried and under 50 who don't qualify for any kind of retirement visa or associated extensions.

Take the retirement visa out of the equation and things look very different.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Yeah, it's a lot more useful for those who are unmarried and under 50 who don't qualify for any kind of retirement visa or associated extensions.

Take the retirement visa out of the equation and things look very different.

Even without the retirement visa, if you add up the annual costs x 5, I'm betting you will not be too near the 500,000 baht price. Of course, there is a good side to the Easy Access card. All the under 50s that love to complain that there is no way for them to live in Thailand will now have a way. All they have to do is come up with half a million baht every 5 years. Of course we all know that having a way to stay will stop the complaining. Right? :cheesy:

David

DUS what part of overpriced don't you understand ?

And who is complaining if you read what I posted I said "I think TE is overpriced.Just like you stated TE is great ,well thats again your opinion and up to you what you think ,and good luck with that.

So I suppose I cant have an opinion in your world,well let me tell you this ,I do have an opinion and if you don't like it well I am sorry ,I tell you what you can do 

Don't' reply to my comments and it wont hurt your feelings.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, paul18620 said:

DUS what part of overpriced don't you understand ?

And who is complaining if you read what I posted I said "I think TE is overpriced.Just like you stated TE is great ,well thats again your opinion and up to you what you think ,and good luck with that.

So I suppose I cant have an opinion in your world,well let me tell you this ,I do have an opinion and if you don't like it well I am sorry ,I tell you what you can do 

Don't' reply to my comments and it wont hurt your feelings.

55555 .... jai yen yen, mate.... 

Edited by DUS

9 hours ago, Genericnic said:

After slogging thought all 11 pages here, at least for me, it comes down to a cost/benefit calculation.

500,000 baht for the Easy Access (5-year) package. (I'm 66 so I think 20 years might be a bit optimistic plus there is no guarantee I'll still be in Thailand even in 5 years)

I'm on a retirement extension which, with ME permit and agent fees (roughly 3,000 baht), costs me 8,700 baht per year or 43,500 baht for 5 years. 

No help needed on 90-day reports since I am in and out of the country at least once every 90 days (haven't had to report in the last 2-1/2 years) and don't need the government concierge service since I only go to the immigration office once a year. Don't need help with the TM30 since my condo juristic person does the filing for me.

Cost of going to and from the CM airport by public taxi - 12 round trips at 400 baht each = 4,800 baht. Its a 10 minute drive. Do you really need a limo for that?

Discounts: Gave up playing golf when my step-dad passed away. Spa treatments - even with a discount they are overpriced compared to what I can get here in CM. Shopping discounts? LOL

As for the annual health checkup, my doctor here keeps me running just fine. (Thanks Dr. Morgan).

So, in essence, after deducting what I currently pay for my extension and related costs and going to and from the airport, I would be paying just at 451,700 baht for the privilege of getting the Easy Access card. While your mileage may vary, I can have a lot more fun with the money I would save even though I would be less "privileged." 

Just my thoughts on it.

David

There is another Elite Visa plan out there now that is 800 K for 10 years, versus the 500K for 5 years which is a pretty measurable difference.  The numbers you posted are very helpful for people to compare things against.   Frankly I like the 10 year thingy and the less hassles in doing the extensions.  Although in the back of my head there is the nagging worry about putting any money up front for anything in Thailand.  The governments certainly change often!

There is another Elite Visa plan out there now that is 800 K for 10 years, versus the 500K for 5 years which is a pretty measurable difference.  The numbers you posted are very helpful for people to compare things against.   Frankly I like the 10 year thingy and the less hassles in doing the extensions.  Although in the back of my head there is the nagging worry about putting any money up front for anything in Thailand.  The governments certainly change often!

Yea that would be my worry too. No guarantee that they won't turn around and say pay more or get out.

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

After 13 years and successive governments, nobody has lost anything or been asked to pay a single baht more for there original plan. TE is expanding, not contracting and highly unlikely not to be going anywhere other than onwards and upwards. I would be more concerned regarding other visas and extensions changing for the worse rather than the TE program.

Who do you think the government would rather have, those that are here paying next to nothing as a yearly fee or those that are paying thousands of baht a year to stay here? Let's be frank here, those that are on the TE program are also likely to be putting millions more into the Thai economy too over the course of there membership.

Edited by Ronuk
  • Like 2