LATEST: Vicious Hua Hin mob attack on British family caught on video stuns the world

webfact

It has been reported that the son has left Thailand, leaving his parents in the country (mother in hospital). There is only one reason

why one would "abandon" family members in such a sitiuation.

And what would that be?

Maybe he had important work to go to. Maybe his mother told him to go as she is ok.

My God, talk about a storm in a teacup. There's a lot more travesties happening in the world.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO the real problem is that tourists (never mind how often you've visited Thailand) and newbies that have moved here, think 'Land of Smiles' really means that. You have to live here a while to understand what is going on behind those smiles. Not all the time obviously, but often.

Tourists (frequent or first time) nearly always come away with the impression that its a laid-back country - and to a certain extent it is, but not if you are unlucky enough to come across the odd individual/group that are looking for an excuse to be violent.

I gather the family had visited a few times, but they still would not have understood that 'face' is all-important here and that any aggressive behaviour is going to invite a beating from all the aggressive people standing around.

The mother was angry 'cos her son had been pushed, and fell. She berated the person responsible, and none of us know what was said during that encounter that resulted in her slapping the guy. But she did - a v bad move as anyone who has lived here for a while will tell you.

But they were tourists still thinking that the locals were lovely people, so confused when their son was pushed over and nothing close to an apology was given??

We're all inventing our own stories as without audio, and only a poor quality video - we have no idea what caused the woman to slap the man. Whatever he said, it was obviously 1) enough for her to slap him or 2) she was a self-entitled Western woman assuming she could slap any man she wanted for no reason.

The only thing that is obvious (to me at least), is that the family had no idea of the likely consequences of getting involved in a confrontation, and believed all Thai people are smiley, happy and generally good natured.

IMO the real problem is that tourists (never mind how often you've visited Thailand) and newbies that have moved here, think 'Land of Smiles' really means that. You have to live here a while to understand what is going on behind those smiles. Not all the time obviously, but often.

Tourists (frequent or first time) nearly always come away with the impression that its a laid-back country - and to a certain extent it is, but not if you are unlucky enough to come across the odd individual/group that are looking for an excuse to be violent.

I gather the family had visited a few times, but they still would not have understood that 'face' is all-important here and that any aggressive behaviour is going to invite a beating from all the aggressive people standing around.

The mother was angry 'cos her son had been pushed, and fell. She berated the person responsible, and none of us know what was said during that encounter that resulted in her slapping the guy. But she did - a v bad move as anyone who has lived here for a while will tell you.

But they were tourists still thinking that the locals were lovely people, so confused when their son was pushed over and nothing close to an apology was given??

We're all inventing our own stories as without audio, and only a poor quality video - we have no idea what caused the woman to slap the man. Whatever he said, it was obviously 1) enough for her to slap him or 2) she was a self-entitled Western woman assuming she could slap any man she wanted for no reason.

The only thing that is obvious (to me at least), is that the family had no idea of the likely consequences of getting involved in a confrontation, and believed all Thai people are smiley, happy and generally good natured.

I'd put my money on no 2!

And I think for them to start beating on Thais, they were all either too pissed to even consider the consequences, or they had all just watched Rocky and believed themselves invincible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw4pfwjNis4

Its the 2 man who got the old lady so badly injured. The thais didnt reacted even after the thai guy was slapped. It was a punch from this Purple Shirt Briton that knock a thai man onto the groundThat cause the Thais to fight. It was the Thai man that was shoved and shoved back that got punch and knocked onto the ground.

Again I DONT CONDONE THE THAIS BEATING UP THE BRITONS in retaliation and kicking AN OLD LADY ON THE GROUND!

But its the 2 british Man n ultimately the Purple Shirt British Man that brought this upon himself and involved the poor old British Lady

Watch the Video closely and whoever still tells me the British are innocent as they claims to be r just being emotional n not being Fair.

Both Sides resorted to violence. Whether just or not. The British were punished badly for their behaviour n hospitalised for it. The Thais got prosecuted by the Law.

And I think for them to start beating on Thais, they were all either too pissed to even consider the consequences, or they had all just watched Rocky and believed themselves invincible.

I knew you'd say that.

Wish I could remember which film that came from, but it applies perfectly in this case.

unprovoked?

they started it by pushing the thai guy and then she punches him in the face.

ThaiVisa has terrible journalistic standards. Did you even watch the video before writing the article?

Are you serious Metapod? You can justify what that guy did to a women? I wouldn't even call the maggot a man. Hitting women just ain't on.

This so called real man or lady boy is not seeing the big picture. Are you serious that the 68 year old lady punches him in the face. Probably broke his nose and knocked out a couple of his teeth. To get it straight moron she slapped him in the face just like any 68 year old mother would do to try to protect there son. But these drunk morons who are probably related to you you see what is not there. Moron what would you do if they did this to your mother trying to protect you.

unprovoked?

they started it by pushing the thai guy and then she punches him in the face.

ThaiVisa has terrible journalistic standards. Did you even watch the video before writing the article?

Are you serious Metapod? You can justify what that guy did to a women? I wouldn't even call the maggot a man. Hitting women just ain't on.

This so called real man or lady boy is not seeing the big picture. Are you serious that the 68 year old lady punches him in the face. Probably broke his nose and knocked out a couple of his teeth. To get it straight moron she slapped him in the face just like any 68 year old mother would do to try to protect there son. But these drunk morons who are probably related to you you see what is not there. Moron what would you do if they did this to your mother trying to protect you.

68 year old farang mothers cannot go around slapping drunken Thai strangers in public, I don't care whose Grandmother she is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw4pfwjNis4

Its the 2 man who got the old lady so badly injured. The thais didnt reacted even after the thai guy was slapped. It was a punch from this Purple Shirt Briton that knock a thai man onto the groundThat cause the Thais to fight. It was the Thai man that was shoved and shoved back that got punch and knocked onto the ground.

Again I DONT CONDONE THE THAIS BEATING UP THE BRITONS in retaliation and kicking AN OLD LADY ON THE GROUND!

But its the 2 british Man n ultimately the Purple Shirt British Man that brought this upon himself and involved the poor old British Lady

Watch the Video closely and whoever still tells me the British are innocent as they claims to be r just being emotional n not being Fair.

Both Sides resorted to violence. Whether just or not. The British were punished badly for their behaviour n hospitalised for it. The Thais got prosecuted by the Law.

Yes, for all of us who have lived here for a few years its easy to say that 'they brought it on themselves' - albeit OTT, which is what a few are saying here.

But they were tourists, and you need to live here to realise that getting bad tempered and then aggressive (re. the mother who remonstrated and ultimately slapped the guy who'd pushed her son over - god knows how that conversation went!) - is likely to end in a group of locals beating the shit out of you.

WE know better, but tourists believe that Thais are all lovely, happy people - far less aggressive than those in their own countries....

The 'photos (with Thai women) show that they loved the people so much they wanted to include them in their 'photos.

Not shocked anymore, Thailand is a very violent place if you cross the wrong person, my biggest worry is if one day I retaliate, haven't yet,thank God, but someone catches you on a bad day, you bite & You're life could be taken in a moment, very sad sate of affairs

In that case tourists ought to err on the side of caution and slapping a local mans face and then punching him is not exactly doing so, is it.

You've ignored her side of the story - man pushes over son, so she remonstrates with him expecting an apology as she 'knows' the Thais are lovely people....

As I've said before, god knows how that converstation went that resulted in her slapping him.

At the end of the day, the family were left for dead - slight exaggeration, but not much.

In that case tourists ought to err on the side of caution and slapping a local mans face and then punching him is not exactly doing so, is it.

You've ignored her side of the story - man pushes over son, so she remonstrates with him expecting an apology as she 'knows' the Thais are lovely people....

As I've said before, god knows how that converstation went that resulted in her slapping him.

At the end of the day, the family were left for dead - slight exaggeration, but not much.

"she remonstrates with him expecting an apology" and then she hits him, not smart at all and as a repeat visitor to Thailand she must have had an inkling that not every Thai person is an angel! Her version has been made to fit the image for the UK press, 70 year old (65 actually) grandmother, thinks all Thai's are lovely and sweet and we didn't do anything wrong, give me a break, just admit responsibility for your actions a little bit and we can agree on the rest.

"They're such lovely people. They won't mind if we slap them."

Really?

Anyway, dude lives in Singapore. He ought to know the ropes.

You're deliberately missing the obvious.

Remonstrating first. No idea what was said in that conversation that resulted in her slapping him which is why I come down to 2 options:

1) the guy said something bad enough that caused her to slap him or

2) she was a typical self-entitled Western woman who thought it was OK to slap a man for no reason.

Really?

Remonstrating first. No idea what was said in that conversation that resulted in her slapping him which is why I come down to 2 options:

2) she was a typical self-entitled Western woman who thought it was OK to slap a man for no reason.

I'm going to go with 75% of number 2 and 25% of number 1.

"she remonstrates with him expecting an apology" and then she hits him, not smart at all and as a repeat visitor to Thailand she must have had an inkling that not every Thai person is an angel! Her version has been made to fit the image for the UK press, 70 year old (65 actually) grandmother, thinks all Thai's are lovely and sweet and we didn't do anything wrong, give me a break, just admit responsibility for your actions a little bit and we can agree on the rest.

Why miss out the bit where I said " god knows how that converstation went that resulted in her slapping him."??

Really?

Which says a whole lot about you - but little about the incident in question.

I knew you'd say that.

Wish I could remember which film that came from, but it applies perfectly in this case.

Eddie Murphy said it about the Italians in Delirious...

Really?

Dude, I've written pages on this subject, trying to get people to watch and understand the video rather than simply running with a herd of grandma worshippers who refuse to believe a little old lady Brit. could ever do anything wrong, there's nothing more to be said about that incident, she/they were in the wrong at the outset (albeit the beatings were in no way justified).

Really?

Dude, I've written pages on this subject, trying to get people to watch and understand the video rather than simply running with a herd of grandma worshippers who refuse to believe a little old lady Brit. could ever do anything wrong, there's nothing more to be said about that incident, she/they were in the wrong at the outset (albeit the beatings were in no way justified).

Just to quote one of your lines 'there's nothing more to be said about this incident'

I wish do us a favour!

Which brings us back full circle to 'son was pushed over/mother remonstrated with man for a while and then slapped him'.

You choose to believe he was being v nice, but she slapped him anyway - whereas this seems unlikely to me.

Either way, it doesn't matter - the family were viciously attacked in a way that makes every decent person feel queasy.

Really?

Just to quote one of your lines 'there's nothing more to be said about this incident'

I wish do us a favour!

Who ever is forcing you to read this thread, tell them no, I don't want to, it's your right and we will all support you, nobody should be forced to read posts they don't want to!

Which brings us back full circle to 'son was pushed over/mother remonstrated with man for a while and then slapped him'.

You choose to believe he was being v nice, but she slapped him anyway - whereas this seems unlikely to me.

Either way, it doesn't matter - the family were viciously attacked in a way that makes every decent person feel queasy.

"You choose to believe he was being v nice", your words not mine, I never thought such a thing.

Sticks and stones will hurt my bones but words will never .......!

Living in Singapore will certainly not prepare you for you may encounter in the Land of Smiles. You can wander around at any time of night & this is not likely to happen to anyone - drunk or otherwise. Lived in Hong Kong for years & have been remotely threatened however late the hour. Ditto Singapore where I have spent lots of time. Quite unlike here where alcohol is such a problem. Personally after midnight I am at home in Thailand it does not feel safe to me

To everything there is a cause n effect. If we just look at the effect n ignored the cause, then its pointless. If my room is dirty n i want it to be clean but i m always untidy n dirty n not do anything about it before it get dirty then wats the point of complaining? I can sympathise with a fat n obese person n his medical problems, but i will not agree on his lifestyle. If i want to be fit n strong then i will exercise n watch my diet. Prevention is better than cure. My point of explaining the video in detail is not to justify the thais. It is to hopefully help everyone who sees the video that if u dont misbehave, there is a much much lesser chance of misfortune to happen to you. I truly feel sorry for the brits n the old lady, but i dont agree with their actions that led to their injuries. I sincerely hope this is a lesson learnt for all who sees this video n my comments. Prevention is better than cure. No use crying over spilt milk. I have been in thailand for 7 years. I partied n twice step in when a farang got a bottle over his head in club wip in bkk, another time for a thai girl who got beaten up by her bf in pattaya. My thai friends scolded me cos i could have ended up much worse. This is the kind of person i m. I just hopef my comments r not to be interpreted as justifying the thais. Pls kindly take my comments as how not to behave n stay out of trouble. Prevention is better than cure

Archived