LATEST: Vicious Hua Hin mob attack on British family caught on video stuns the world

webfact

LATEST: Vicious Hua Hin mob attack on British family caught on video stuns the world

h11.jpg

HUA HIN:-- A shocking unprovoked attack on a British family by Thai men in Hua Hin at Songkran caught on CCTV has stunned the world.

An elderly mum and dad are kicked in the face and knocked unconscious along with their son by a vicious and drunk Thai mob late at night near the entrance to Soi Bintabaht downtown at the Thai holiday resort some 220 kilometers south of Bangkok.

Amid allegations that the story was "buried" in order to protect the country's tourism industry Thaivisa has been instrumental in seeing the matter come to light.

National newspapers in the United Kingdom and online in Australia have reported witnesses as saying that the attacks were deliberately targeting Westerners.

However, it is now understood that the violent melee witnessed by dozens of shocked people on the 13th of April may have been caused by the elderly couple's 43 year old son simply "brushing the arm" of a man arrested for the incident.

The video shows a confusing scene as the tourists walk in a crowded area. Suddenly a fight erupts and a man is kicked on the ground. And most shockingly the elderly gray haired British lady, thought to be in her sixties or seventies, is smacked straight in the face before being kicked on the jaw as she lays helplessly on the ground. All three members of the family were left flat out unconscious, sprawled on the ground.

Wary members of the public on seeing that the gang - reckoned to be five strong - had melted into the surroundings came to help the injured and send them to hospital. Their condition and whereabouts are unknown at this time.

It has now emerged that two men were arrested on the 17th for the assault and though pictures (below) were taken of the men in bulletproof vests outside the police station the story did not reach a wider audience despite rumours circulating in Hua Hin about the severity of the attack.

h22.jpg
Image: tnamcot

Police arrested Supatta Baithong and Yingyai Saengkhamin, both 32, on charges of causing grievous bodily harm. At least two and perhaps three others are sought as the video, released by police to help with apprehending the remaining attackers, has now gone viral on social media.

A somewhat hidden story on the 'Samnak Khaw Thai' (Thai News Office) site showed the two arrested men in the black bullet proof protective vests. Supatta is quoted as telling police that the couple's 43 year old son had brushed his arm as he passed by. Supatta said he was very drunk and got angry and pushed the son into a table. The son's 68 year old father intervened to protect his son as Supatta called "four friends" to begin the vicious attack.

Both arrested men apologised to the British family and said they did it because they were drunk.

Meanwhile the tabloid press in England and Australia screamed quoting unnamed online sources that the attack was deliberately targeting 'farangs' or Westerners. They said that someone had been overheard that an attack was about to take place.

They quoted a man who had been with the family in a bar just twenty or thirty metres away who said the family were minding their own business and left to go home. The man said on hearing the melee he tried to help but was left needing cosmetic surgery for his trouble after suffering damage to his teeth

The newspapers were alerted to the attack after Thaivisa shared the video footage that had emerged from police sources seeking others responsible in the melee who are still on the run.

The Mirror, The Telegraph, The Sun, The Star, The Daily Mail, Yahoo News and news.com.au out of Australia all aired similar stories as a worldwide audience on Facebook reeled in horror at the assaults.

Mainstream Thai news services and television had not reported the incident until mid morning Thursday, some 12 hours after Thaivisa first posted the story and several hours after the story had gained international attention.

This resulted in some netizens alleging there was a cover-up to protect tourism at the traditional Thai New Year celebrations though the local police turned out in force with chief Chayakorn Sriladecho for pictures with the two men arrested four days after the attack.

tvn.png
-- 2016-04-28

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

unprovoked?

they started it by pushing the thai guy and then she punches him in the face.

ThaiVisa has terrible journalistic standards. Did you even watch the video before writing the article?

Did she, Not From what I could see?

Would that justify the beating they got?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The police, no that's not what they are, scum bags are to busy fining people for having noisy motorbikes so they can put cash into their pockets, do correct police work and protect the public bah, never happen in Thailand, the country's gone to s-it, LOS no more!

Video shows British family getting attacked in Thailand

BANGKOK (AP) — An elderly British couple and their son were savagely attacked during a family vacation in Thailand in the latest blow to the country's image as a welcoming tourist paradise. Police said Thursday they have arrested three alleged attackers and are looking for one more.

A video of the attack was captured by overhead security cameras and posted this week on social media. It has stirred shock and outrage over its brutality and the ages of the elder victims, a 65-year-old woman and 68-year-old man from Scotland.

The attack marks the latest act of violence against tourists in the Southeast Asian country.

Police Col. Chaiyakorn Sriladecho said the attack started after "the son accidentally bumped into one of the Thai men." All four suspects are Thai.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-04-28

The police, no that's not what they are, scum bags are to busy fining people for having noisy motorbikes so they can put cash into their pockets, do correct police work and protect the public bah, never happen in Thailand, the country's gone to s-it, LOS no more!

So n then actually what is the true story?

unprovoked?

ThaiVisa has terrible journalistic standards. Did you even watch the video before writing the article?

Are you serious Metapod? You can justify what that guy did to a women? I wouldn't even call the maggot a man. Hitting women just ain't on.

unprovoked?

HEART OF GOLD

Your most likely an apologist.

What would you think if this was YOUR FAMILY!!! Protecting ones loved ones is a natural instinct fo us Westerners but you probably have Thainess disease syndrome.

I don't apologise for being a Ferang its my birthright . I'm so proud to be westerner and stay as one backing up all my kind all over the world not taking on another culture just because I lived there - that's insane. You are what you are - so to speak.

Get a life mate !!!

unprovoked?

And you have terrible eyes... It was a bit of a melee, respect for the elderly should've been in order. When they stood up against it they didn't realize the "thainess" of mob mentality. And kicking an elderly woman in the face as she's trying to get up is as chicken as can be. Cowards!! Or....were you one of 'm?

unprovoked?

What bloody nonsense!!! You call that a push? Two people brushing past each other with minimal contact on an overcrowded street is a push?!

Their hands got entangled and the brit chap just disentangled himself .

If you feel that is cause for such massive overreaction and carnage, then you need to get a mental checkup.

Shocking to watch.

I believe things will only continue down this slope while police automatically take the side of Thais and only see farangs as potential money providers.

Give them a small fine, a short sentence then maybe a pardon, before letting them loose on the streets again.

Oh, and don't forget to charge the victims for hospital fees, and a fine for overstaying their holiday visa.

Such a cowardly display will not help this country in the eyes of the world.

Nothing seems to stop the tourists from streaming in anyway.

You know as well as anyone else, very little of what goes on here gets reported abroad.

This will be seen in isolation, the same as visiting any country where a violent episode is reported.

That guy that kicked the woman wanted her dead IMO.

Just wonder how comes that there wasn't any knucklehead in charge on telly stating that the perpetrators must have been Burmese since "Thais would never do something like this..." Oh, sorry - forgot - too many witnesses! Well, that CCTV evidence won't matter to identify perpetrators we all have seen much earlier when the "running man" video was being "investigated"...

I bet as soon as these gangsters are released after paying their 500 Baht fine, they'll discuss where it is safer and less populated to go for another round... "Well, let's do some serious tourist smashing on a secluded beach on Shit Island next time, won't hurt tourism anyway, respectively - who cares?" Right??? sad.png

To me, this incident marks a new low in the ongoing decline of Thailand! One can see how much anger and hatred those little pricks have stored up inside... Beware of the day they all go on a mass rampage just because some stupid reporter or official implies that foreigners are to be blamed for Thailand's lightning speed decline...

at least a couple of those Thai men should have their heads stamped on until they are as flat as a pancake!

Most sickening is that justice will not be done here, at best they will be out on bail and slowly forgotten never to be reported on again as is the normal siuation here. Thai justice usually means come back in 6 months and these scum will be found at home, living their normal lives!

Totally agree with you "coxo".Thailand is not even near what and how it was 15 years ago when i retired here.

Me and my wife have had NO help at all when i had an accident some month ago.I want to go to Goverment office to file a complaint that the police don't do there work,but my wife have a Restaurant so you never know what's gonna happen IF i would do that.

Immigration,same freaking shakedowns...CORRUPT..to the bone and it seems that this facesaving thing is waaaaay moore important than doing proper Policework,or any work for that matter.

Now even my wife and here friends starts sloooowly to dislike their own country and all the corruption and misstrust towards Goverment officials..My wife now talk daily about us moving to another country.I have NO respect at all for the Police here and i have NO faith,if something would happen to me, to get a fair trail.

Well maybe it's time to leave,time will tell.And i write this much because i've been working in Uniform toghether with my homelands Policeforce and other countrys Special Forces.

Sorry all to sound alittlebit harsh,but i found it to be the truth in many cases...THERE ARE MANY FINE THAIS THAT HATE THIS KIND OF VIOLANCE AS MUCH AS ME.And to be honest..this sh** happens in my own homecountry to...I hate alohol and what it brings to the table..violance.

Have a good day all and i hope all the offenders get what they deserve,but i doubt it..I want a followup on this to see what kind a prisontime they get.

Have a good day everyone.

More global publicity for Thailand showing what really happens. The world is waking up and realising that the Land of Smiles image is a lie and they are seeing more and more what kind of mentality Thais can really have.

With the whole world watching let's see how much Thai justice they get and how much the old "I was drunk" excuse let's them get away with. I bet the world is going to be just as outraged when they see the sentence.

Pretty disgusting and disrespectful behavior. The guy pushed the son, and he obviously hit his head on the concrete when he fell. That can easily result in death. Easily. Of course the mother was upset. Slapping the thai guy was a moderate (though stupid) reaction to him hurting her son. She just did not know what she was dealing with. There should be a warning by all embassies. Hassle or harass, or insult a Thai man at your own peril. Most simply do not have enough self esteem to walk away. And as we all know, they fight in groups, almost never alone. You simply cannot win a fight like that. Hopefully they will be severely punished. And fortunately, this kind of thing does not happen often, at least not randomly, like it happened here.

The video is not easy to follow...who started what, who really knows. Though it does look like the expat put his hand on the Thai guy first, but I could be wrong. For certain... there were many drunk people on the street and no police in sight. You would think the police would have a strong presence in events like these. Songkran is an event that invites violence, especially when large amounts of alcohol are involved. Songkran needs redesigning, police need to be proactive, and special attention to crowd management is much needed... Better yet, cancel the street parties and allow Songkran only to take place in temples / wats, after all it is a Buddhist event isn't it?

at least a couple of those Thai men should have their heads stamped on until they are as flat as a pancake!

Most sickening is that justice will not be done here, at best they will be out on bail and slowly forgotten never to be reported on again as is the normal siuation here. Thai justice usually means come back in 6 months and these scum will be found at home, living their normal lives!

Like justice gets done in our home countries?

100 hours community service, counselling paid for by the tax payer etc.

It's incredible!!!! he video isn't particularly clear; yet on the other thread running on this topic, as well as this one the 'victim blaming apologists/trolls' who always plague threads like this in order to get a rise have managed to analyse the entire situation from start to finish placing the blame firmly at the feet of the tourists.....

Unreal. Next they'll be saying the tourists should be banned from Thailand or maybe jailed for soiling 'sacred' Thai shoes with their blood.....

Many Thais have a serious attitude problem when it comes to foreigners.

And kicking someone in the head deserves an attempted murder charge and conviction.

I hope foreigners find another holiday destination which is far safer and foreigner friendly.

unprovoked?

HEART OF GOLD

Your most likely an apologist.

What would you think if this was YOUR FAMILY!!! Protecting ones loved ones is a natural instinct fo us Westerners but you probably have Thainess disease syndrome.

I don't apologise for being a Ferang its my birthright . I'm so proud to be westerner and stay as one backing up all my kind all over the world not taking on another culture just because I lived there - that's insane. You are what you are - so to speak.

Get a life mate !!!

YOU need to sit quietly and study the video footage and you'll see very clearly that the woman started things by slapping the Thai mans face, this was followed by her son punching another Thai. I know that doesn't fit well with what you want but that is what happened and you can't change that.

Archived