LATEST: Vicious Hua Hin mob attack on British family caught on video stuns the world

webfact

I have lived here for over a decade & speak fluent Thai. I am saddened by the negative changes I have seen over the past few years & especially now. Researching where next....can't wait to leave. IMO negatives outweigh the positives no so time to get going. Best of luck to those who remain!

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many Thais have a serious attitude problem when it comes to foreigners.

And kicking someone in the head deserves an attempted murder charge and conviction.

I hope foreigners find another holiday destination which is far safer and foreigner friendly.

Of course as we all know nobody ever kicks anyone in the head in the UK. They all fight strictly to the Queensbury rules when it comes to sorting things out at the end of a night.

I have seen this many times. Drunken Brit, and not just the blokes, thinking they are back in their home town on a weekend giving it the Big I am to the little thai bloke. No little Thai bloke is going to tell me what to do etc etc, even down to the classic " who are you looking at c~nt ! and then the next thing they know there are several little Thai blokes beating the crap out of them. Go to any town or city in the Uk on a weekend and you will see this and far worse. Women especially get away with a lot back in the UK because the vast majority of British blokes won't hit a woman and drunken female Brits in Thailand get rather a shock when the little Thai bloke does actually hits them.

Yes it was very nasty and it could have ended a lot worse than it did but for those here trying to make out this is a Thai thing are way off the mark.

I've spent many a drunken night exactly where this took place and never had a problem, nor anywhere in Thailand in over 12 years. Thais have their faults as do we all but unprovoked violence isn't one of them

The point isn't about Brit behaviour, if it were, then everyone is fully aware of it anywhere in the world. The factual evidence in the CCTV footage brings to life what happened to tourists in Thailand, not ordinary tourists, these are Senior Citizens or Old Aged Pensioners who can't defend themselves. I think if it were a group if three p***ed Brits who can handle themselves, nothing would have occurred. You have completely missed the point. Unfortunately this is a Thai thing because they were caught on camera.

I guess in a way, the apologists are right, this isn't a place for decent western foreigners to visit.

Especially western women and children.

I could say that a different way and it kind of means the same thing, becuase it isnt exactly a good thing

Ill leave out the "decent", whatever that actualy means.

Western woman and children are too fragile for thailand....too spoilt

If the court is too lenient with these apes (500 baht fine etc), it will have serious implications for future safety of any foreigners in TH.

I see there was a flower giving ceremony to a Thai official involved in catching the suspects, have any flowers been given to the old lady yet? I doubt it.

Shame on the Thai authorities, shame.

I guess in a way, the apologists are right, this isn't a place for decent western foreigners to visit.

Especially western women and children.

I could say that a different way and it kind of means the same thing, becuase it isnt exactly a good thing

Ill leave out the "decent", whatever that actualy means.

Western woman and children are too fragile for thailand....too spoilt

I can define my idea of decent for you.

Decent = people that don't hire prostitutes, commit acts of violence, take drugs or get falling down drunk every night.

Why are people so surprised when they choose to play in a sewer that they encounter sh** and Rats !! and blaming an entire nation of people and country for what takes place in "some" notorious areas is absurd.

Thailand is so much more than those rat holes, and the larger part of the the real Thailand and its people are just fine.

You only have to get out of those sewers and you'll know what a great place this can be.

We only know what we see in the video and don't know what was said. What it does show is the younger man being floored and then the old woman arguing with a thai man over the event and then slapping his face. She is then punched full in the face and whilst on the ground she is also kicked with considerable force in the face and loses consciousness. Meanwhile the old man is beaten to unconsciousness and the younger man is also left the same way. There were a minimum of five Thai men attacking them.

If there is anyone who thinks this is justified then god help you.

Lewis Owen, 68, and his son John, 43, suffered head injuries needed stitches.. Rosemary Owen, 65, was more severely injured, suffering a build-up of fluid in the brain that had to be removed. "The hospital is still holding her for observation for serious head and eye injuries," Pol Col Chaiyakorn said today.

I would like to know what hospital she is in. Some high up people could pay her a visit and give her flowers and a get well soon card. They could sign a book wishing her a speedy recovery.

Real Thai men at it again? And the men that call themselves good Thai men just stand around and look? Unreal. What a bunch of cowards, the lot of them.

This all boils down to the lack of emotional intelligence.

It happens too often that a fight starts somewhere and all cowards with an urge to get a few sneaky punches or kicks in without ant repercussions, can finally let off some steam.

While watching this unfold I was waiting for the crowd to rise up and kick the living daylights out of these b'tards but as usual nothing happened.

Decent Thai people are just as scared of this lowlife scum because it can easily backfire on them too.

Decent = people that don't hire prostitutes

Errrrr, doesnt that cut out me, you, 90% of TVF members?

You are correct, we aren't decent people. I never said I was.

But the two older holidaymakers in the video were probably decent people, and shouldn't have been here.

Why are people so surprised when they choose to play in a sewer that they encounter sh** and Rats !! and blaming an entire nation of people and country for what takes place in "some" notorious areas is absurd.

Thailand is so much more than those rat holes, and the larger part of the the real Thailand and its people are just fine.

You only have to get out of those sewers and you'll know what a great place this can be.

Yes, very true. We know that through years of experience but what about tourists who don't have a clue? They should be bloody safe no matter what.

You are making excuses for this scum and kind of blaming the gormless tourists

Kudos to whomever played a role in getting the news about this incident shared to the outside/international media and world. thumbsup.gif

Somehow, it's not too surprising to hear that this incident apparently was pretty much ignored in the local media initially. Land of Smiles, after all...

unprovoked?

they started it by pushing the thai guy and then she punches him in the face.

ThaiVisa has terrible journalistic standards. Did you even watch the video before writing the article?

HEART OF GOLD

Your most likely an apologist.

What would you think if this was YOUR FAMILY!!! Protecting ones loved ones is a natural instinct fo us Westerners but you probably have Thainess disease syndrome.

I don't apologise for being a Ferang its my birthright . I'm so proud to be westerner and stay as one backing up all my kind all over the world not taking on another culture just because I lived there - that's insane. You are what you are - so to speak.

Get a life mate !!!

Totally get your argument against the previous post but how is it Thainess, somehow, NOT to protect loved ones, as you seem to suggest? Isn't the whole gist of ALL these sort of stories when they gang up together that they go OTT in their 'backing up' (or protecting) of each other, NOT that they DON'T look after each other, especially against outsiders??? thumbsup.gifwai.gif

For every bad Thai (and sure they can be as nasty as anyone) there are nineteen decent Thais.

More like 50/50 nationwide, but the 50% bad mostly hang out in the holiday resorts upping the odds for trouble.

I wouldn't say 50/50. In places like Phuket and Pattaya it might be closer to 50/50 but I wouldn't say those places are the real Thailand, but generally 90% of Thais are fine. As been pointed out here, the combination of alcohol and cultural misunderstandings can have sad results. I've bumped into Thai people, a quick sorry and a 'wai' and the same from the other person have been my experience.

Imagine having to wai after you apologized already, and that out of fear of repercussions(word of the day). Terrible way to live, honestly.

I sometimes bump into them in purpose because they never move out of the way. Fear is never a way to live a healthy and conscious life

For every bad Thai (and sure they can be as nasty as anyone) there are nineteen decent Thais.

More like 50/50 nationwide, but the 50% bad mostly hang out in the holiday resorts upping the odds for trouble.

I wouldn't say 50/50. In places like Phuket and Pattaya it might be closer to 50/50 but I wouldn't say those places are the real Thailand, but generally 90% of Thais are fine. As been pointed out here, the combination of alcohol and cultural misunderstandings can have sad results. I've bumped into Thai people, a quick sorry and a 'wai' and the same from the other person have been my experience.

I've lived in rural Thailand, can definitely say 50% of the men are lazy hopeless drunks and wife beaters sending their daughters out to work as prostitutes in Pattaya and trying to have sex with every under age female relative they can get their hands on. They may not be out robbing and beating foreign tourists but that still makes them bad IMHO.

I have lived here for over a decade & speak fluent Thai. I am saddened by the negative changes I have seen over the past few years & especially now. Researching where next....can't wait to leave. IMO negatives outweigh the positives no so time to get going. Best of luck to those who remain!

Very similar to my situation. Meanwhile the apologists arrive and the realists leave, which means the Thais will never look in the mirror and realise how disgraceful the majority are.

A truly sad state of affairs when we have imbeciles excusing the inexcusable (awaiting your post DJJamie)

There is only one way to stop this; kick them where it hurts. In the wallet and the famous Thai "face' a very delicate organ, especially in the male of the species, but very lucrative if you sell luxury goods.

Thank god for social media. Even Thailand will change, but it may mean the end of the lucrative tourist industry before that happens.

Some win, some lose. Myanmar, Laos and Vietnam will not cry over Thailand's tourism woes.

Let Thailand cater to cheap, and let others get those who spend.

TAT has a bit of work in western markets, but I'm sure someone will find the budget

So be it!

Som nam na

Imagine having to wai after you apologized already, and that out of fear of repercussions(word of the day). Terrible way to live, honestly.

I sometimes bump into them in purpose because they never move out of the way. Fear is never a way to live a healthy and conscious life

Fear is not a healthy way to live. On this I agree. Common sense however will tell you not to bump into people purposely as it is an intrusion and can make a problem.The fear of raising your hands is also not healthy. By doing so is an acceptance of the culture you live within and in no way belittle yourself. In fact a refusal to accept when you are wrong with an apology is close to the loss of face syndrome.

Shocking to watch.

I believe things will only continue down this slope while police automatically take the side of Thais and only see farangs as potential money providers.

Give them a small fine, a short sentence then maybe a pardon, before letting them loose on the streets again.

Oh, and don't forget to charge the victims for hospital fees, and a fine for overstaying their holiday visa.

Yes and all within six hours. Thai justice.

65 year old and 68 year old beaten unconscious and some are saying they started it and so are to blame for what happened.

Sickening.

Someone that old hits me I laugh and walk away.

Only scum would beat them senseless like this.

Pure, unadulterated scum.

Those trying to defend it are no better.

I've lived in rural Thailand, can definitely say 50% of the men are lazy hopeless drunks and wife beaters sending their daughters out to work as prostitutes in Pattaya and trying to have sex with every under age female relative they can get their hands on. They may not be out robbing and beating foreign tourists but that still makes them bad IMHO.

I'd put it at 90%, especially the lazy drunk part

Black Opps posted

Uthai thani posted

It seemed to me, initially there was some kind of argument, falang lady carrying on like she owned the place, as they do

First, not suprisingly, both you guys are new members of Thai Visa WELCOME!! Outstanding job of deflecting the ugliness of it all and then blaming the victims

Excellent Work! Bravo

This could have ended a lot worse if it happened down some back ally away from the public eye. Fortunately the family were not seriously injured.

Having ones "teeth kicked in" and knocked unconsious is not seriously injured, whst planet are you from.

I'd like to argue with you about this but honestly can't.

:-

Pretty disgusting and disrespectful behavior. The guy pushed the son, and he obviously hit his head on the concrete when he fell. That can easily result in death. Easily. Of course the mother was upset. Slapping the thai guy was a moderate (though stupid) reaction to him hurting her son. She just did not know what she was dealing with. There should be a warning by all embassies. Hassle or harass, or insult a Thai man at your own peril. Most simply do not have enough self esteem to walk away. And as we all know, they fight in groups, almost never alone. You simply cannot win a fight like that. Hopefully they will be severely punished. And fortunately, this kind of thing does not happen often, at least not randomly, like it happened here.

What about the guy who just got also beaten up in Pattaya and the Lady boy who attacked a

I got to say. As thugishly violent and inhuman the Thais were, it was the Brit lady and the old guy that actually threw the first blows. They were not simply innocent victims. They were instigators themselves. They would have probably gotton out of that one unscathed if they had kept their hands to themselves. No excuses for the thugs though.

I also want to remind people this stuff happens around bars in busy areas all over the world. Not long ago a couple was stabbed by a pub in my area, several beatings, and a lady was shot last year. I don't know why it gets so much more attention comeing from Thailand, but drunk thug Thais are no different than drunk thug Americans, Brits, Canadians or whatever. Thais do not have the market cornered on thugary.

Sorry, disagree entirely. Not about the video. About the statement Thais do not have the market cornered on thuggery.

Domestic violence is endemic in Thailand. It's rarely reported because the police have the same mindset as the perpetrators. Women from the age of about 10 are supposed to be subservient to the male. Incest is commonly practised, not that you will ever see meaningful statistics.

In Western culture, it is a given you do not hit a woman, irrespective of the provocation.

It is also customary for fights to be one-on-one, although there are exceptions, mostly due to the "coward punch". In contrast, Thais automatically congregate to gang up on a single person regardless of age or nationality.

IMHO, Thai thugs are the most cowardly in the world. They would run a mile if forced to fight one-on-one.

I think that is simply a function of poverty. You see some of the same behaviour in many inner city gang cultures here in the states. The "one on one" and "never hit a woman" memes do exist but the "one on one" or the concept of a fair fight is rarely followed in certain sub groups. Just YouTube it. You can find all kinds of examples. Look up "The knock out game." Dousche bags all across the country where succor punching random people in the jaw to knock them out just as a game.

Archived