Huy fong sriracha sauce

Any place to buy this in Bangkok these days? I am not interested in the local versions of it or the fact it isn't the original. I just want to know if this particular brand is available in Thailand? I searched and found an archived thread with two posts and that's about it. Sriracha came up with too many posts to sift through.

Yeah I know it is from California. Given how popular it is I am shocked you can't find it here. It is almost like there is an embargo on it or something. Villa would sell tons of it if they stocked it

Would they? With such a large amount of local production?

Does it actually taste much different to the local sort? The ingredients list on these sauces doesnt seem to be very large, so one would expect most of them to taste pretty similar.

It's made with ripe Jal's from fields in Oxnard CA.

I believe you, but do they really taste much different to local peppers? Especially once mixed with salt and sugar and tomato paste or whatever it is that they put in that sauce.

I make my own Tabasco and I simply cant taste any difference between mine and the imported bottles that cost about 20 times more.

I believe you, but do they really taste much different to local peppers? Especially once mixed with salt and sugar and tomato paste or whatever it is that they put in that sauce.

I make my own Tabasco and I simply cant taste any difference between mine and the imported bottles that cost about 20 times more.

Yes it does taste different than the local stuff. Americans pretty much use it on everything these days. I haven't found anything that is similar to it here. There are some local copies in Tops that are even in the same bottle and look exactly the same but the taste isn't at all the same.

Yes it does taste different than the local stuff. Americans pretty much use it on everything these days. I haven't found anything that is similar to it here. There are some local copies in Tops that are even in the same bottle and look exactly the same but the taste isn't at all the same.

OK. I must buy some when I'm next in the UK to try it.

I remember 40 years ago that the road from Bangkok to Pattaya (no motorway back then) used to have loads of vendors selling that sauce near Si Racha, but not in that particular plastic bottle though, of course. It was famous though. Presumably the US one is just based on that as Wikipedia says it was first marketed in 1983.

Wikipedia also gives the ingredients as "Chilli, sugar, salt, garlic, distilled vinegar, potassium sorbate, sodium bisulfite and xanthan gum" which sounds very much like the ingredients of most Thai red chilli sauces.

Same same but different I suppose. I can't figure out what the killer ingredient or secret is myself.

From the list of ingredients I quoted above about the only thing that could change the flavour is the chillies used or the type of garlic, as all the other ingredients should have a standard flavour that doesnt vary much anywhere. Thai/Chinese garlic tastes quite different to the white, violet and pink sorts found in France and Italy (which themselves are very different to each other), so it may be that. I dont know what US garlic tastes like.

I dont like the Thai versions because they are too sweet for my taste, so I prefer to make my own leaving out most of the sugar and all the preservatives.

• 3 weeks later...

I have tried making my own Tobasco using recipes from YouTube and or other internet sources, but with no luck. The taste just wasn't there. Would love to try your recipe.

I have tried making my own Tobasco using recipes from YouTube and or other internet sources, but with no luck. The taste just wasn't there. Would love to try your recipe.

With all these things I start with a big packet of fresh red chillis from Makro. I get the type that are about the length of a little finger and half the width. I dont really have a recipe, just blend them up with white vinegar and salt to taste. I filter the result for Tabasco style but leave the bits in for regular use.

• 1 month later...

I saw this Sriracha sauce at the Central Food Hall on the 6th floor of Central World, Bangkok. It is made in California. It comes in three flavors/"colors" - red, green and yellow.

I'd like to hope/think you're right about Central Food Hall at CW, but I tend to doubt it.

There are lots of sriracha sauce varieties in Thailand, and some of the bottles look vaguely similar to the original Huy Fong brand cited in the OP. I've never seen the Huy Fong brand here, though I'd also certainly love to find it.

The problem with the Thai sriracha sauces, even the ones labeled as HOT, is to me at least, they all taste pretty much like a spicy version of ketchup and nothing like the original Huy Fong flavor. And usually, filled with sugar as a major ingredient, up to 30% or more.

The reason most people buy Huy Fong is because it's flavorful and spicy/hot. All the Thai versions I've ever tried have been nothing even remotely similar, despite using the same sriracha name.

I saw this Sriracha sauce at the Central Food Hall on the 6th floor of Central World, Bangkok. It is made in California. It comes in three flavors/"colors" - red, green and yellow.

I'd like to hope/think you're right about Central Food Hall at CW, but I tend to doubt it.

There are lots of sriracha sauce varieties in Thailand, and some of the bottles look vaguely similar to the original Huy Fong brand cited in the OP. I've never seen the Huy Fong brand here, though I'd also certainly love to find it.

The problem with the Thai sriracha sauces, even the ones labeled as HOT, is to me at least, they all taste pretty much like a spicy version of ketchup and nothing like the original Huy Fong flavor. And usually, filled with sugar as a major ingredient, up to 30% or more.

The reason most people buy Huy Fong is because it's flavorful and spicy/hot. All the Thai versions I've ever tried have been nothing even remotely similar, despite using the same sriracha name.

I stopped by the markets at both CentralWorld and Central Chidlom today, and they're both NOT carrying any Huy Fong chili sauce.

They are carrying the red and yellow-colored varieties of Three Mountains sriracha sauce, which is Thai-manufactured, and looks from the outside to have the smooth consistency and appearance of something like ketchup. But I've never eaten that variety, just going off appearances.

BTW, the supermarket at CW is on the 7th floor, not the 6th floor.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Yeah the Thai stuff in the look alike bottle isn't the same. Consistency is the same but it is much milder than the real stuff.

Here is a picture of some I had my friend bring. The cap is green other than that the bottles are pretty much identical to what is sold in Thailand. I think the bottle is also thicker.

Ugh after [osting this just realized I have been duped again. This isn't Huy Fong but a similar make available in the USA. Just noticed it from looking at the pic in this post. It is pretty similar to Huy Fong but a bit milder once again. I can't believe they aren't being sued for the packaging similarities in the USA. Compare this to the Huy Fong bottles... God almighty I have been duped again!

Can't upload the pic from my samsung for some reason. Here is a stock photo of the one my friend accidentally bought and brought me. Seems people are trying really hard to copy this company. You can not tell the difference between the bottles unless you really look.

post-57867-0-91543300-1468660147_thumb.j

post-57867-0-96249300-1468660472_thumb.j

Edited by anotheruser

If any of you do a trip down into Malaysia - get and bring back some Linghams SriRacha - it leaves the CA and the Thai for dead

It is bottled down in Serberang Prai, next to Butterworth, across from Penang - but is available World-Wide, though available in LOS? I dunno

• 3 weeks later...