How to smoke bacon?

Kenny202

Just put my first try at bacon down to cure for a week. Used belly but in hindsight probably should of used loin as less fatty.

I had planned to smoke it after cured but not sure if worth the trouble. Only have a kettle bbq but I'm guessing it will do the job.

Should I just get some hardwood chips or sawdust? How do I light it and keep it smoking for 4 or 5 hours?

What about using a few of those black charcoal peices they use here? It's hardwood and smokes up

That should stink it up good.

Try some water soaked tamarind wood chips. Or you can spend a fortune at HomePro for mesquite or hickory chips.

Used belly but in hindsight probably should of used loin as less fatty.

If you want flavour you want fat. Loin is fairly tasteless.

As far as I know the varieties of pig raised for bacon production in the West are not the same as the varieties raised to be used fresh, as pork mostly is here.

I use a steamer for my smoker, one of those aluminium things with multi layers, and put a cake tray inside to get better circulation. I put the chips in the bottom and place a burner underneath. I also spray the chips with water to slow things down.

Certainly don't need 4 or 5 hours, I smoke mine for 10 minutes or so and it is much nicer than any bacon I have bought in Thailand.

I use pork belly.

But what do you do and how do you light them? Just make a little fire and wait for it to die down before putting meat in?

How would I burn water soaked wood? Clearly I don't have a clue

You can do a small amount simply using some wood chips in a wok or large pan on the stovetop - Put the wood on the bottom of the pan, place the meat on a rack above the wood and increase the heat until the wood smokes. Cover with a tight fitting lid for about 30-40 minutes. (If you use this method you can try different woods in the small batches until you find one that works for you)

One other thing. How did you cure the pork, what mixture?

1/4 cup salt

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup honey

Mustard

2 tsp prague powder

Rub all over pork and in zip lock bag. Turn daily for 7 days

Please don't tell me I'm going to kill myself :-(

Had some pleasing results with marinated/brine pork belly. I use fresh crushed sugar cane husks - available free from the vendors that squeeze out fresh sugar cane juice - Need to chop fibrous lengths it into short pieces but it smokes well and is aromatic - could say sweet.

You can make smoke packets with aluminum foil. Put the wood chips in the center and close up. Punch holes in it to let the smoke out. You can make a bunch of these up and one is finished throw another on the bbq. I use to this all the time back home until I bought a big green egg. Sadly I had to leave it with my brother.

Like Peter267 I also use sugar cane pulp

I prefer coconut husk and have also poured a wee bit of coconut oil over it to get thicker smoke

I smoke my bacon for 3-4 hrs depending on thickness of smoke

So your not actually lighting the damp chips but need a heat source under these to smolder the wood?

The heat fom the grill will get them smoking good. And there is a big discussion on wether to soak the chips or not. Some say the wet chips add a bit of bitterness to the smoke. Have tried both ways and couldn't tell the difference. Happy grilling.

I bought my grill here in Pattaya at BBQ Galore. It is a Australia bbq. Nice heavy duty double hull hood, cast iron grates and Flat top on one side. It called a Turbo. A little pricey but you can get cheaper ones there. Weber too . And they came to Rayong and assembled it too. You can see their advertising in the bangkok post most days.

If you get on the pattaya forum, theres a nice guy with lots of smokers and bbqs. Good price.

If you get on the Isaan forum, and talk to 'doc' as in doctor, or probably 'isaan bbq' or something similar you will find he sells beautiful bbqs and smokers.

Docs bbqs and smokers are a legend. ?