Thailand attack: British family 'vow never to return' after savage street attack

webfact

"Statistically you are 5 times more likely to be attacked and killed in Thailand".

Who's statistics and where can they be seen?

And who is "you" and where does he/she live, Second Road

Chaingmai -

Look it up! the statistics are easy to find. The "official" murder rate is 5 times higher then the UK (i suspect the real numbers are worse) and for my personal observation and feeling Thailand is far less safe then the UK.

I have also seen that gun crime is on a rapid increase in Thailand, fairly recently it was publicised that Thailand has the same rate of gun crime as the US.

Did you make the decision to move here without checking out any of this stuff? Do you really not know this?

The official murder rate in Thailand is indeed much much higher than the UK but it's important to compare apples and apples on this subject:

The murder rate of Brits in Thailand, according to UK Gov/FCO is 5 (five) during 2014/2015, that out of 50k expat residents and 900k UK visits per year.

The total death toll (all causes) of Brits in Thailand during the same period was circa 368.

The fact that a country like Thailand has a very high murder rate is not too relevant to me personally in light of the above, people are being killed but they aren't Brits and they aren't Westerners, if you check the stats.

So yes, Thai on Thai, Asian on Asian and possibly Asian on Far Eastern etc murder rates are very high, totally irrelevant to western expats however.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Proof and/or stats to the contrary, please!

BTW it's useful when comparing these things to back out of any statistics, the number of deaths and injuries resulting from the long standing southern insurgency which is isolated and not representative of the entire country.

The beating of the British tourists recently was obviously a horrible and regretful occurrence, but some are judging an entire nation based on the actions of a few people. Don't overgeneralize! Those who know Thai people well know that most Thais are very kindhearted people. Also, don't act like this stuff doesn't happen in other countries including America and Great Britain. There are thugs everywhere!

Cr.Arjan Adam B.

I know some Thais. And *THEY* are telling me that Thai people are not as kind or good as they used to be. Thai people are changing over the last 10-20 years compared to how they were. Some of them blame the thai-dramas and the increasing desire for material wealth behind everything.

No one perfect.

"Statistically you are 5 times more likely to be attacked and killed in Thailand".

Chaingmai -

Look it up! the statistics are easy to find. The "official" murder rate is 5 times higher then the UK (i suspect the real numbers are worse) and for my personal observation and feeling Thailand is far less safe then the UK.

I have also seen that gun crime is on a rapid increase in Thailand, fairly recently it was publicised that Thailand has the same rate of gun crime as the US.

Did you make the decision to move here without checking out any of this stuff? Do you really not know this?

The official murder rate in Thailand is indeed much much higher than the UK but it's important to compare apples and apples on this subject:

The murder rate of Brits in Thailand, according to UK Gov/FCO is 5 (five) during 2014/2015, that out of 50k expat residents and 900k UK visits per year.

The total death toll (all causes) of Brits in Thailand during the same period was circa 368.

The fact that a country like Thailand has a very high murder rate is not too relevant to me personally in light of the above, people are being killed but they aren't Brits and they aren't Westerners, if you check the stats.

So yes, Thai on Thai, Asian on Asian and possibly Asian on Far Eastern etc murder rates are very high, totally irrelevant to western expats however.

This link below shows where Thailand rank for danger to tourists. It doesn't look good at all as Thailand is almost at the bottom of the list of 141 countries. I think it is safe to say that Thailand is a very risk place to go for a holiday.

http://reports.weforum.org/travel-and-tourism-competitiveness-report-2015/economy-rankings/#indicatorId=TTCI.A.02

There are 2 camps of PPL here.

1. Those that hate the Thai Thugs for kicking the old lady on the ground ( effect )

2. Those that saw the whole unedited video and saw the whole truth. The British Family started it by shoving, pushing then finally punching a thai man to the ground, which started the whole violence and ended up with the British family on the ground n the old lady getting kick in the face.

I would like to mentioned both Camps are on the same page on 1 thing. Both Camps agree that The Thai Thugs went too far and should be prosecuted. Both Camps do not justify and condone the actions of the Thai Thugs in any way.

However Camp 1 only look at the effect and not at the cause. What cause the fight to happen? They are only concerned about An old lady getting stomped in the face. They ask what kind of values this country has that teaches Man to stomp on old ladies in a fight. Camp 1 is utterly disgusted at the values of the Thai Thugs and their actions.

Camp 2 looks at both cause and effect. Camp 2 saw the whole unedited video and the whole truth. The cause of the fight was because of the British family who shoved, slap and punch a Thai man to the ground. Camp 2 is also utterly disgusted at the values of the Thai thugs and their actions.

But the difference is this. Camp 2 saw the whole truth. Camp 2 does not make any excuses or condone the actions of the Thai Thugs, in fact Camp 2 wants all the Thai Thugs to be prosecuted to the full extent of the Law. but Camp 2 also points out the actions of the British Family that led to the violent attack on them.

What Camp 2 is trying to achieve by pointing out the actions of the British family is not to justify the Thai Thugs

Instead it is to show the truth and warn others, family, friends, fellow countrymen that in Thailand or any other country, if you behave properly

there is a much much lesser chance of misfortune happening to you. That is all.

So ppl from Camp 1. just accept the Fact the British Family did misbehave and got retaliated by Thai Thugs in the most disgusting violent way ever and learnt from this lesson.

Show your sympathies to the the British Family and the old lady but warn them too never to misbehave again like in the video if they really value their lives. I would show it to my friends n family as well. How not to behave in Thailand or any other country we visit.

Or just go to a country where the police will "assist" when a local drunk idiot shoves you over and cracks your head open just for brushing past him.

Trying to be balanced with your post but your not. There is only 1 side to this, the drunk Thai man was looking for trouble, very obviously so. He caused the first act of violence and cracked open the sons head. the old women got emotional seeing her son attacked and reacted, in effect this "elderly" lady was defending her son, no denying that.

But what those drunken idiots did was a disgrace, the British family deserved nothing except to be left in peace to continue their holiday.

Seriously... This family did everything, but attempt to avoid a fight!!

New direction....

Old lady's stupid son, bumps a man intentionally.. Then fakes a fall to the ground.. Look at the video...

Since the perfectly innocent family claimed to have not been drinking...

Why did they appear to be drunk?

Maybe they prearranged this crime??

Son starts by bumping into a very drunk Thai..

Mother.. Not defending her son!! He was still on the ground playing dead..

She was doing all she can do to get shoved, and fake a fall like her son did..

They just didn't anticipate the kick to the face after she slapped - shoved the drunk Thai man and made it to the ground herself.

Too much BS this family did, not to be accountable for their actions...

Again.. Not defending the Thai's - the kick to an old ladies face took defending them out of the equation...

That's it... I'm staying in Thailand.. So are my friends..

I sort of understand what happened with that incident. It definitely shows what Thais are really about - this is what they would do to all Farangs if they were given an opportunity to do it.

On another hand, you know that 43 year old was kind of really stupid for putting the whole group in danger. If I saw a few drunk thugs sorting their business out - I would keep a good 500 meter safety distance from them in any case, and Especially If I had my own family members with me around - this is so elementary, I had no idea I could have to explain this to some people apparently. I've seen this before in other countries and I know how quickly these things can escalate. These British people out of 10 things they could get wrong in the street survival Bible got all 10 wrong somehow - I just don't understand how naive these people are and how it's possible. It's no excuse for the thugs of course. But I mean seriously British people - you need to get a clue and fast because thanks to your stupidity you could put a lot of other Farangs in danger as well who could happen to be in the same area where you are stirring up some trouble... I pretty much stayed indoors the entire Songkran period - that's when all the muppets are out getting drunk and causing all kinds of mayhem - but if you were going to get in the middle of it all - the least you could do is at least try to stay away and not agitate the already extremely drunk and agitated - this should be as clear as 2x2, but apparently not to some people...

I don't understand why they were even walking through that area, I would have walked a whole mile around it, but I mean brushing people and then punching them instead of calling the police - I mean come on... I understand that we are dealing with some seriously disturbed racist people - but the least you could is minimize the damage to yourselves and others...

“TAT would like to assure international travellers that this was an isolated incident, not targeted on any group of foreign tourists in particular. The situation was exacerbated by alcohol.”

That is another bull...t

Simply , those thugs was looking for blood and under influence whole nature is coming out towards foreigners... far to often just because this weird kind of law has this country allowing such bandits to skip real punishment .

I just wander if those bandits appeared in local Thai news ?????....probably NOT because they don't like dark truth about themselfs.

I have seen in my over 60 years of existence many bad situations but never see kicked old woman in the face specially when she was already punched and on the ground.

Just look how many locals was defending them .....?????

Someone want's to tell me that Thai have respect for old people.....??????????????

ironically more and more weird rules are implemented against foreign tourist in Thailand this days.....instead they should look closely to own people .

Shame shame shame.....Thailand.

Every similar incident is going to the world and this image of land of smile is just loosing this image drastically just because law in this country is on their own side.

I can bet that those bandits will be not properly punished as always before......

Police explanation in this and similar cases is just same stupid like those bandits act.

coffee1.gif

Chaingmai -

This link below shows where Thailand rank for danger to tourists. It doesn't look good at all as Thailand is almost at the bottom of the list of 141 countries. I think it is safe to say that Thailand is a very risk place to go for a holiday.

http://reports.weforum.org/travel-and-tourism-competitiveness-report-2015/economy-rankings/#indicatorId=TTCI.A.02

Thailand is hugely dangerous for tourists, by comparison to other countries, because of the very high number of road traffic accidents and deaths, no other factor compares unfavourably however.

The incident is sickening. I see two attempts of something that should be regarded as an attempted murder (stomping and kicking of heads). I have read most of the posts but it seems that most people that seem to know a lot about Thailand have not commented on the use and effects of YABBA (speed) that is prominent factor in simular situations all around the world. I see plenty Thais youth on it in and would think it could be major factor in the brutality seen on this occasion. And if so isn't the Thai Government doing as much as most governments to purge this drug from society. Why bag Thailand for the actions of a drug induced few. We all need to be aware this is becoming more and more of an issue WORLD WIDE.

Where I live if the family got into a mix with our local ""midnight runners" (speed freaks) at 2 am with alcohol involved I wouldn't be surprised to see a worse outcome such as a stabbing. The junkies around most places are capable and can do a lot worse.

Not defending the actions of the Thai gang shocking behaviour but also not condoning the behaviour of the "Tourists". None of its good from any point of view. As guests in the country shouldn't people show restraint. Looks bad for all of us. And we all should be aware of the mentality of gang behaviour anyplace were gangs exist.

Regardless of what TV patrons think as to who was at fault, what could have been avoided, why things like this happen, what the world should know through expat experiences:

this event happened and has been witnessed by the world.......... and is one more incident of a rapidly growing long list of aggression against foreigners in Thailand.

The world will deal with it as it sees fit and regardless of TV forums.

Unfortunately, those honest and caring Thais who are trying to make a legitimate living in the tourism trade are being severely let down by the inefficient and effective BIB, political leaders and those farangs and Thais who find blaming the victim is the deflection strategy of choice in maintaining their own profit margins!

anyone want to predict that aggressive actions against foreigners will suddenly decrease because of this incident?

I would predict the opposite.

It will be a mammoth task for the junta to shunt the "national" loss of face that is evolving from this incident!

Unfortunately for the junta, they have no track record of being anything but bullies.

The world will not be bullied nor distracted.

The junta and RTP/BIB are now on the world stage and under the microscope.

I sort of understand what happened with that incident. It definitely shows what Thais are really about - this is what they would do to all Farangs if they were given an opportunity to do it.

On another hand, you know that 43 year old was kind of really stupid for putting the whole group in danger. If I saw a few drunk thugs sorting their business out - I would keep a good 500 meter safety distance from them in any case, and Especially If I had my own family members with me around - this is so elementary, I had no idea I could have to explain this to some people apparently. I've seen this before in other countries and I know how quickly these things can escalate. These British people out of 10 things they could get wrong in the street survival Bible got all 10 wrong somehow - I just don't understand how naive these people are and how it's possible. It's no excuse for the thugs of course. But I mean seriously British people - you need to get a clue and fast because thanks to your stupidity you could put a lot of other Farangs in danger as well who could happen to be in the same area where you are stirring up some trouble... I pretty much stayed indoors the entire Songkran period - that's when all the muppets are out getting drunk and causing all kinds of mayhem - but if you were going to get in the middle of it all - the least you could do is at least try to stay away and not agitate the already extremely drunk and agitated - this should be as clear as 2x2, but apparently not to some people...

I don't understand why they were even walking through that area, I would have walked a whole mile around it, but I mean brushing people and then punching them instead of calling the police - I mean come on... I understand that we are dealing with some seriously disturbed racist people - but the least you could is minimize the damage to yourselves and others...

What do you mean 'seriously British people'? These are three people, not representative of the whole nation. If we're not going to tar all Thais with the same brush then perhaps you can do the British the same courtesy?

What do you mean 'seriously British people'? These are three people, not representative of the whole nation. If we're not going to tar all Thais with the same brush then perhaps you can do the British the same courtesy?

Do Scots people living in Wales count as British?

Do Scots people living in Wales count as British?

Yes of course. Both of those nations are part of Great Britain.

Interesting that the the British consulate / embassy has been so quiet.

Not really just the norm from them...

The British embassies the world over are famous for "working behind the scenes" as they often optimistically put it.

Not that it gets them anywhere though.

Our embassies fail where others succeed.

My wife says young Thai men often don't have social/people skills, they don't know how to control their anger. Lack of socialisation. She thinks a lot of it is down to time spent on social media. Low E.Q, lack of empathy, jealous etc

The British embassies the world over are famous for "working behind the scenes" as they often optimistically put it.

As you know so much about the BKK Embassy operations, as an example, can you advise the outcomes for the 23 sexual assault victims embassy staff assisted in the 2012 / 2013 reporting year or indeed in any period for UK nationals physical / sexual assault victims in Thailand?

My wife says young Thai men often don't have social/people skills, they don't know how to control their anger. Lack of socialisation. She thinks a lot of it is down to time spent on social media. Low E.Q, lack of empathy, jealous etc

It also in large part has to do with how Thai moms raise their boys. I have watched countless Thai family interactions with their kids. While both girls and boys are treasured, girls are challenged often which toughens them up, I often see Thais teasing little girls and parents give them boundaries, ie when throwing tantrums they get properly ignored. Little boys on the other hand are spoiled to no end. I watched a couple on the BTS last night, Thai man wearing a cowboy hat with what looked like knife scars all over his cheeks, wife and little boy wearing a huge Thai amulet. The kid was beating on his mom and the Thai dad is laughing, the mom although clearly not liking it, does nothing but smile. This is very commonplace.

Even in high school, it always amuses me when I see boys turn up the last few days of 2nd semester who I have never seen all year. When I ask the local teachers about them it's usually "Oh his dad owns the shop in town, so he works there, it's ok...just give him a worksheet and he can get his points". The girls, while no angels, at least make some type of effort at attendance (that is until they get a Thai boyfriend and they are lost too...of course until they get knocked up and he drops her like a hot potato and gets mom to pay off her family and send her to grandmas up country).

I think it has something to do with Thai women having this love/hate relationship with Thai men. The ones that have been jilted, single moms we see all around us, have an underlying contempt of Thai men. But then they overcompensate by spoiling their boys rotten which of course keeps the cycle going as their kid will grow up to be just like dad. It's never going to change in Thailand...this is the way they want it and that's the way it will stay.

As you know so much about the BKK Embassy operations, as an example, can you advise the outcomes for the 23 sexual assault victims embassy staff assisted in the 2012 / 2013 reporting year or indeed in any period for UK nationals physical / sexual assault victims in Thailand?

I'm not sure what people are expecting the British Embassy to do - should they be making a declaration of war on Thailand? Apart from offering consular assistance to the family, what can they do?

"The world will deal with it as it sees fit and regardless of TV forums"

The world doesn't care about Thailand. Lol. Some people on TVF really hope Thailand will be blacklisted and avoided by tourists but that won't happen. The show must go on and dozens of planes today alone are bringing in foreigners who will spend well needed euros, dollars and pounds.

"The world will deal with it as it sees fit and regardless of TV forums"

The world doesn't care about Thailand. Lol. Some people on TVF really hope Thailand will be blacklisted and avoided by tourists but that won't happen. The show must go on and dozens of planes today alone are bringing in foreigners who will spend well needed euros, dollars and pounds.

I'm not sure what people are expecting the British Embassy to do - should they be making a declaration of war on Thailand? Apart from offering consular assistance to the family, what can they do?

do a little more than they are currently. Their advice to tourists coming here is pretty basic.

do a little more than they are currently. Their advice to tourists coming here is pretty basic.

They provide consular assistance to British nationals in emergencies, they're not here to act as our parents. The Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London is responsible for issuing foreign travel advice to British nationals, not the British Embassy in Thailand.

There are 2 camps of PPL here.

1. Those that hate the Thai Thugs for kicking the old lady on the ground ( effect )

2. Those that saw the whole unedited video and saw the whole truth. The British Family started it by shoving, pushing then finally punching a thai man to the ground, which started the whole violence and ended up with the British family on the ground n the old lady getting kick in the face.

I would like to mentioned both Camps are on the same page on 1 thing. Both Camps agree that The Thai Thugs went too far and should be prosecuted. Both Camps do not justify and condone the actions of the Thai Thugs in any way.

However Camp 1 only look at the effect and not at the cause. What cause the fight to happen? They are only concerned about An old lady getting stomped in the face. They ask what kind of values this country has that teaches Man to stomp on old ladies in a fight. Camp 1 is utterly disgusted at the values of the Thai Thugs and their actions.

Camp 2 looks at both cause and effect. Camp 2 saw the whole unedited video and the whole truth. The cause of the fight was because of the British family who shoved, slap and punch a Thai man to the ground. Camp 2 is also utterly disgusted at the values of the Thai thugs and their actions.

But the difference is this. Camp 2 saw the whole truth. Camp 2 does not make any excuses or condone the actions of the Thai Thugs, in fact Camp 2 wants all the Thai Thugs to be prosecuted to the full extent of the Law. but Camp 2 also points out the actions of the British Family that led to the violent attack on them.

What Camp 2 is trying to achieve by pointing out the actions of the British family is not to justify the Thai Thugs

Instead it is to show the truth and warn others, family, friends, fellow countrymen that in Thailand or any other country, if you behave properly

there is a much much lesser chance of misfortune happening to you. That is all.

So ppl from Camp 1. just accept the Fact the British Family did misbehave and got retaliated by Thai Thugs in the most disgusting violent way ever and learnt from this lesson.

Show your sympathies to the the British Family and the old lady but warn them too never to misbehave again like in the video if they really value their lives. I would show it to my friends n family as well. How not to behave in Thailand or any other country we visit.

Or just go to a country where the police will "assist" when a local drunk idiot shoves you over and cracks your head open just for brushing past him.

Trying to be balanced with your post but your not. There is only 1 side to this, the drunk Thai man was looking for trouble, very obviously so. He caused the first act of violence and cracked open the sons head. the old women got emotional seeing her son attacked and reacted, in effect this "elderly" lady was defending her son, no denying that.

But what those drunken idiots did was a disgrace, the British family deserved nothing except to be left in peace to continue their holiday.

Seriously... This family did everything, but attempt to avoid a fight!!

New direction....

Old lady's stupid son, bumps a man intentionally.. Then fakes a fall to the ground.. Look at the video...

Since the perfectly innocent family claimed to have not been drinking...

Why did they appear to be drunk?

Maybe they prearranged this crime??

Son starts by bumping into a very drunk Thai..

Mother.. Not defending her son!! He was still on the ground playing dead..

She was doing all she can do to get shoved, and fake a fall like her son did..

They just didn't anticipate the kick to the face after she slapped - shoved the drunk Thai man and made it to the ground herself.

Too much BS this family did, not to be accountable for their actions...

Again.. Not defending the Thai's - the kick to an old ladies face took defending them out of the equation...

That's it... I'm staying in Thailand.. So are my friends..

"made it to the ground herself."

My,my, what a strange choice of words! My choice would be "knocked out by a drunk Thai man" or, if I wanted to be honest, "smashed in the face and knocked out by a drunken Thai thug", but then you'd probably call me biased!

Not so, the Daily M has front page piccies of UK Embassy staff arriving to assist and support, a load of ball ocks I reckon.

Archived