Are 'premium' car brands overrated?

My wife has a BMW 3 Series on loan for a few days while the Wildtrak gets ceramic coated. Absolutely hates it. My son's first impression was that it is uncomfortable.

Obviously my family are no experts when it comes to cars, but it got me thinking about little the difference is between cars nowadays even when comparing a latest gen pickup to a premium saloon.

I'm glad my missus isn't a brand snob and didn't try to get me to spend 3 times what I did end up spending just because of its perceived 'betterness'.

Maybe I'll get her to take a cheapo Chinese brand out for a spin when the current car needs replacing? [emoji2]

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me - yes. But this must be taken in context - what do you want from a car ? A safe, comfortable place to sit while travelling ? A cheap, fuel efficient place to sit stuck in traffic ? A HiSo 'Look at Me ' ride ? Have a V6 Teana and am very pleased. Paid 700K second hand. Mine has a good sound system, leather upholstery, power everything. Do I want some computer voice telling me I am straying from my lane, or to put the wipers on when it is raining, or to help me back up ? No, I learned how to do this when I learned to drive. Spend 3-4-5 million Baht on a brand ? Not for me.

Edited by canthai55

as a child in the 70's i remember sitting in the family car as my dad struggled to start it morning after morning and braking down, often. I cant remember the last time i had similar problems.

i'm no expert but i'm not sure there's any bad cars these days and you basically get what you pay for.

i had a few beemas in the 80s and 90s all new...and I think they are an acquired taste....they are very Germanic - firm ergonomic seating and firm suspension etc...I really never got to like them.......

however it always makes me laugh when people call them "premium" vehicles, because in Europe they really aren't....it is countries that pay the import duties that get only the top line models, as the "standard" versions are not worth importing.

If you really want to get a good idea of what BMWs and the like are really thought of, look at th second-hand prices in Germany and UK - these cars are worth NOTHING....they are expensive to maintain and repair and are consequently expensive to insure.....premium is not the word...the only people they impress then are drug dealers and rapper wannabees

I briefly had a 525i in the UK about 20 years ago. My main memories are that it was cramped in the front and was heavy and sluggish.

When I was about 20 I worked for a while at a garage helping the owner fix and service cars. I got to drive and work on a wide range of cars and the biggest disappointment was probably the Mercs that came in - nicely put together, but drove like buses. The biggest surprise was a Peugeot estate that went like a rocket and the Hondas were always ahead of the rest (25 years ago!).

Having sat in the new 3-Series at the Motor Show ... if I could afford one I would buy it for a run-a-round and just keep the Everest T+ for best .....

Edited by JAS21

Last week I went out in a two year old Camry, haven't been in a biggish car since l have been here,I was very impressed on the ride quality and quietness of the thing..thumbsup.gif

Agreed. Very comfy but if you're the one driving they're gutless and have terrible brakes.

Having sat in the new 3-Series at the Motor Show ... if I could afford one I would buy it for a run-a-round and just keep the Everest T+ for best .....

Would you really want to pay 2.6m+ for a car that's true value is probably around 1.2m?

Actually for that class of car, the choice is probably the poorest here. Off the top of my head there's 3; Camry, Accord and Teana. Would be nice if other family saloons were made here such as the Mazda 6, Mondeo or Passat.

Edited by JaseTheBass

Would you really want to pay 2.6m+ for a car that's true value is probably around 1.2m?
No ... I was taking the piss ..

No ... I was taking the piss ..
Fort so.

Last week I went out in a two year old Camry, haven't been in a biggish car since l have been here,I was very impressed on the ride quality and quietness of the thing..thumbsup.gif

Agreed. Very comfy but if you're the one driving they're gutless and have terrible brakes.
We demo the Hybrid Camry last year ...actually liked it ... we thought it was quick ...just goes to show how old we are getting ...

We demo the Hybrid Camry last year ...actually liked it ... we thought it was quick ...just goes to show how old we are getting ...
Did the airbag attack you?

If comparing mainstream Japanese and American cars to low-end models of luxury brands, they're pretty darn close. I still contend that a J32 Teana drives better than a current 3 series. But as you move up to higher models in luxury brands, the differences become much, much more noticeable. But are they worth all the extra money? Only if you've got it to spend I guess.

For example, get out of a 7-series, S-class or Panamera into a Camry/Accord/Teana and you realize you've gone from 5-star accommodations to 3-star. Ditto for getting out of a Range Rover, Cayenne or GLS and into a PPV.

A pickup trucks ride is more comfortable than a bmw 3 series? or did your son mean the space is cramp that it is why its uncomfortable?

I personally don't think premium car brands are overated, there are more safety features, gadgets, and luxury touch to it. But a lot of it is up to owners preference as well. Having own both a 3 Series and Accord. Even though I like how 3 series drive and more premium touch, I still prefer my accord. Why? simply because the space it offers, it doesn't drive as well and such, but it doesn't bother me that much, you get use to the way a car drives. What matters more to me is the comfort and not feeling cramped.

Rear coils for the Vigo then ?smile.png

Can be done quite easily, but puts the vehicle it a different tax bracket.

A pickup trucks ride is more comfortable than a bmw 3 series? or did your son mean the space is cramp that it is why its uncomfortable?

I personally don't think premium car brands are overated, there are more safety features, gadgets, and luxury touch to it. But a lot of it is up to owners preference as well. Having own both a 3 Series and Accord. Even though I like how 3 series drive and more premium touch, I still prefer my accord. Why? simply because the space it offers, it doesn't drive as well and such, but it doesn't bother me that much, you get use to the way a car drives. What matters more to me is the comfort and not feeling cramped.

What does a 3 series BMW have that a Honda Accord doesn't......??.

I think he meant the seat in the back wasn’t as comfortable and I guess it is a bit more 'closed in' than in the Ranger.

As for the Beemer having more tech than our Ranger - it doesn't. This one is somewhere between 5 and 10 years old.

Anyway, the ceramic coating place called and our car is ready. Never seen the missus move so fast...

Honda Accord should be compared to a 5-series. Try driving both for a week...

When comparing my 5 year old accord and 3 series, bmw the interior is of a better quality, less plasticky panels (more panels are covered with vinyl leather pattern coating), seats are made of thicker leatherette hence nicer feel, I prefer the BMW driving feel compare to a honda accord. But the new accords (2014-2015) interior are as good as the bmw, seats are firmer than the old ones. I haven't driven one but I did notice the doors feel heavier when opening and closing, giving it the feel of german cars - but that could just be something to do making the hinges tighter but nonetheless its a nice touch. Another thing I like about the 3 series is that it felt heavier and more stable on the road, suspension is slightly harder to so cornering at higher speeds felt more confident, less body roll.

Diesel version of BMW has a nice torque - good for overtaking and speeding up. But believe it or not I find it more noisy and car vibrates more than my Isuzu Dmax pickup!

When you get to the 7 series of the premium segment, its a total diffferent ball game, the comfort and ride quaity is incomparable unless you are comparing it to a lexus which gives it a run for the money.

Honda Accord should be compared to a 5-series. Try driving both for a week...

I do have a 5 as well, but space wise it is still very cramp even though the new 5 serieies looks pretty big. I can easily slide my feet under the accord front passenger seats for extra "feet" room smile.png , but can't do the same for 3 or 5 series. But nonethelss they drive different and its up to owners preference, It would be perfect to have the accord space design with the bmw interior and driving feel.

I think he meant the seat in the back wasn’t as comfortable and I guess it is a bit more 'closed in' than in the Ranger.

As for the Beemer having more tech than our Ranger - it doesn't. This one is somewhere between 5 and 10 years old.

Anyway, the ceramic coating place called and our car is ready. Never seen the missus move so fast...

3 series backseat is pretty bad, its so cramp and if you are sitting at the left or right side, you can't sit back flat at all, your whole body is angled towards the middle, its pretty much the same for the 5 series too, just a tad more legroom.

3 series backseat is pretty bad, its so cramp and if you are sitting at the left or right side, you can't sit back flat at all, your whole body is angled towards the middle, its pretty much the same for the 5 series too, just a tad more legroom.

I had the three series coupe (M3), with the awesome electrical seat, 8 ways adjustable + shoulder support + thigh support + lumbar support. Totally awesome. I couldn't care less about the back seat space, other than it was practical with four seats for the occasional trip. So it's quite definite that BMW care more about the front seats when they develop their cars ;)