Top brass police gather in Hua Hin as final suspect apologises for brutal attack

rooster59

The situation in Thailand is much the same as in the US. The wealthy want to continue to exploit the poor and make them indentured servants. They create their business models based upon their individual desires to increase their already obscene wealth and ignoring what is actually good for a country and its people. In both cases the education system is bad, much more so in Thailand but it has deteriorated greatly in the US. In both countries a lack of attention to education has allowed the wealthy and corporate interests to run over the life of the average person. Thailand is different in that it has relied too much on the tourist industry. Does anyone think that all these large hotels in Thailand are owned by poor people? Some would say that tourism is what has kept the poor working but it is not true. Thailand would be in a much better position economically as a country and its people would be much better off had Thailand concentrated in the early days of globalization bringing more industry in from the West and spreading it throughout the Northeast and the North instead of Samut Prakarn; Chonburi and Rayong. Why do you think so many Issan people are in the entertainment industry? Simple answer- lack of opportunity and education. Why are drugs and alcohol abuse so prevalent- lack of hope.

None of this excuses the behavior of the Thai men in this incident but it explains somewhat why it can occur. These men should be punished and it should be publicized throughout Thailand that there is a consequence to ones actions. You simply cannot punch and kick people the way they did. As one of the posters prior mentioned, there is such a thing as proportional response. If you have neutralized the attacker- anything further is unwarranted.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Western culture would be a very good idea. It just hasn't happened yet

The actual facts in this case are clear:

-The Brits escalated the incident with a slap to the face by the lady and a punch by her husband. All they would have had to do was move on- no further incident.

- The son was pushed but fell over due to lack of balance

- The Thais response was way over the top and they have been charged with the equivalent of felon assault. Not all the Thais bear the same responsibility but should be punished accordingly.

- The news media everywhere have misrepresented the truth and left out key portions of the clip showing the Brits slap and punch.

- The police were not present on a holiday, in a crowded entertainment district and thus could not defuse this violent incident.

-The Thai Prime Minister has made comments and dispatched a Senior official to the crime scene.

What truly surprises me from all the posts on this topic is the outright hatred that so many people have of Thailand; Thais; and Thai culture. It is as if this incident has brought out an inner rage in the many Westerners /Foreigners who have some grievance against Thailand. It also shows their ignorance; lack of understanding of how things work in Thailand and their thinking that Western culture is superior to Thailand. This makes me feel more afraid of the foreigners in Thailand than anyone else. There is no doubt that the attack at the end of the clip shows some Thais that lost control and committed a serious crime. However, painting all Thai people with the same brush is just as much an over the top reaction as the incident itself. Thai on Thai crime occurs every day and if you watch the news in Thai every morning you can see it reported. Let's keep this incident in proper perspective.

"Western" culture is superior to thai culture in almost any conceivable way. And the issue is that a very large majority of thai men have the brain of a 5 year old.

Ok fair enough, let's be more specific: swedish, finnish, norwegian, danish, english, scottish, german, french etc etc etc etc etc is superior to thai culture.

It's a cartoon culture so both the children and adults are treated like toddlers....

Whether its alcohol raining out jealous etc, there is always an excuse w/o consequences......

Until there is individual and institutional accountability, this behavior will continue unabated..

unfortunately, a product of a traditional and status quo society that intentionally refuses to evaluate itself in any critical assessment...

We were duped for two weeks with the tale that it was an unprovoked attack, but now that the video is out the we can see that it was far from unprovoked.

There is far less sympathy now for this so called innocent family and they should accept their behavior contributed to their downfall and issue an apology.

You're right. 4 people should be charged. The two Thai men who did the kicking, and both Rosemary and her husband as they were the instigators and the "thugs" were the two British men, one holding the Thai man and his father landing the first unprovoked blow. If anyone should be apologizing, it is the Brit family. They will never return to Thailand? Great, I don't think that those of us who get along just fine with the kind, friendly and hospitable Thai people need them around to give a negative impression of falangs.

A question to you edko" if you were in a situation were a 65 yr old lady slapped you,what would you have done? Also please provide your age.

There; all done and dusted.

1. Photo shots of important top brass police

2. Pathetic and insincere apology by cowardly youth

3. Bail payments received from rich parents of other cowardly attackers

4. Flowers at the hospital bedside of aged victim

Safe for tourists to return now.

Your level of optimism, supported by your defeatist signature, I feel is misplaced.

Maybe that was ironic? Just maybe...

The actual facts in this case are clear:

-The Brits escalated the incident with a slap to the face by the lady and a punch by her husband. All they would have had to do was move on- no further incident.

- The son was pushed but fell over due to lack of balance

- The Thais response was way over the top and they have been charged with the equivalent of felon assault. Not all the Thais bear the same responsibility but should be punished accordingly.

- The news media everywhere have misrepresented the truth and left out key portions of the clip showing the Brits slap and punch.

- The police were not present on a holiday, in a crowded entertainment district and thus could not defuse this violent incident.

-The Thai Prime Minister has made comments and dispatched a Senior official to the crime scene.

What truly surprises me from all the posts on this topic is the outright hatred that so many people have of Thailand; Thais; and Thai culture. It is as if this incident has brought out an inner rage in the many Westerners /Foreigners who have some grievance against Thailand. It also shows their ignorance; lack of understanding of how things work in Thailand and their thinking that Western culture is superior to Thailand. This makes me feel more afraid of the foreigners in Thailand than anyone else. There is no doubt that the attack at the end of the clip shows some Thais that lost control and committed a serious crime. However, painting all Thai people with the same brush is just as much an over the top reaction as the incident itself. Thai on Thai crime occurs every day and if you watch the news in Thai every morning you can see it reported. Let's keep this incident in proper perspective.

You're correct,not all Thais are like these thugs. In fact many are ashamed and have condemned what took place. Yet we have farangs like you making apologies for these same thugs. Amazing farangs!

My Thai friends really believe this.

They said to me last night "These guys were on tv, gave a Wai and apologised, saying they were drunk. All is ok now"

I asked if they really meant that. They replied yes of course. Thais accept their apology.

I really can't believe Thai mentality.

Did you then say that if a few of the victims friends come over, had a drink or two and then beat up these animals everything would be fine as long as they apologized?

(not related to petedk's post)

After reading quite a few posts on various threads I find it unbelievable people are saying the family got little more than they deserved as they threw the first punch.

All these people should watch the video again and look to see who is HURT first. If I or my son. had been pushed over and banged our head I would feel justified to give that person a slap as well. No matter who started it the violence that family suffered was way way beyond anything they gave. If you need to be educated further look at the result animals walking away triumphantly 3 farang hospitalised.

in my opinion, i think these lads were prob drinking but partaking in some yaba as well. The way the guy at the end is running around wanting to kill anyone else and raising his hands.. i think if most people had drank 16 bottles of beer they would be staggering quite a bit.. like the family was...these guys had quite a bit of energy

"Commander Wuthi Liptapallop joined with other senior officers in assuring the public that everything would be done to try and ensure the safety of tourists in the wake of the shocking attacks that caused uproar throughout the world."

this is such a god damned lie. i was in Soi Bintabaht the night this happened. there were no police anywhere.

funny, for some reason this story does not mention the attacks took place about 150 yards from the police station.

there were drunk Thai kids SITTING IN FRONT OF THE POLICE STATION.

Soi Bintabaht was packed with people, you could hardly move, there were many times people were panicking to get off the streets as people began pushing and shoving.

"Wuthi said that this was an important case as it involved tourists and police had worked hard to resolve the matter quickly and efficiently. Following a news conference in which tourist organisations and business leaders presented floral tributes to thank the police for their work on the case, Wuthi went to visit the site of the April 13th attack in Soi Bintabaht, central Hua Hin."

What work? siting on your ass a block away while someone gets beaten?

but everything is OK now, here are some flowers.

I've been part of Songkran in Pattaya a few times. Only police I've ever seen was the one token cop there allowing himself to be a target for water. Walk down the other streets, none.

A few years ago, we had to make a hasty retreat on second road as we were headed home, walking. A fight broke out, bottles where being thrown. Absolute mayhem.

On the drive home, it was like a war zone. Scooters going back and forth across Sukhumvit. No helmets. No lights. Speeding. Drunk. And NO police.

What do you expect??? Pure mayhem.

Well this is one of the threethousand reasons why i am not in th when songran is on

The wild, wild East should be the new slogan of Thailand.

It seems that us poor tourists are getting beat around even more

than usual these days. I do not see how the Thai Baht stays so high

compared with the US dollar and other world currency, Is it possible that

their currency is vastly inflated? Does this not have a very negative

effect on their exports? I only hope that these 4 Thai thugs get a very big fine

and more than a slap on the wrist for this assault on those old British tourists.

Being drunk is not an excuse to get away with assault. Tourism numbers are not down

by much in Thailand, because of the large numbers of Chinese who are visiting for the

last few years. Those tourists do not spend that much in the country, except

at some King Power places, and the hotels they are lodging at. I guess the

tour company that gets to haul them around also make some money, but I have noticed

a big decrease in European tourists and even tourists from Canada and the USA.

It must be the way our economies are going. I sure would not buy any property in

Thailand right now, as I think there will continue to be less and less tourists that

will want to live in Thailand for any length of time. I am thinking of visiting some other

Asian countries in the next few years as I have heard they are cheaper to go to and

they are also very happy to see us foreign tourists and our dollars.

Geezer

Oh what ever! If the video didn't make it out on social media the cops would have been trying to cover the whole thing up. I'm sure these scum will just get a slap on the wrist and that will be it.

its been reported in the media the police are now trying to find out who leaked the cctv, that person if foundd will get a severe punishment no doubt, the offenders in the attack probably a 500baht fine. If there was no cctv this wouldve been swept under the rug like most violence against tourists

The wild, wild East should be the new slogan of Thailand.

It seems that us poor tourists are getting beat around even more

than usual these days. I do not see how the Thai Baht stays so high

compared with the US dollar and other world currency, Is it possible that

their currency is vastly inflated? Does this not have a very negative

effect on their exports? I only hope that these 4 Thai thugs get a very big fine

and more than a slap on the wrist for this assault on those old British tourists.

Being drunk is not an excuse to get away with assault. Tourism numbers are not down

by much in Thailand, because of the large numbers of Chinese who are visiting for the

last few years. Those tourists do not spend that much in the country, except

at some King Power places, and the hotels they are lodging at. I guess the

tour company that gets to haul them around also make some money, but I have noticed

a big decrease in European tourists and even tourists from Canada and the USA.

It must be the way our economies are going. I sure would not buy any property in

Thailand right now, as I think there will continue to be less and less tourists that

will want to live in Thailand for any length of time. I am thinking of visiting some other

Asian countries in the next few years as I have heard they are cheaper to go to and

they are also very happy to see us foreign tourists and our dollars.

Geezer

Why would three British tourists being beaten in Hua Hin have any effect on the value of THB and why would it impact the country's exports?

Also, tourist numbers are not even slightly down, they are up, again.

Post removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

I ceainly hope the 2 Welsh offenders get charged too, the woman for assaulting the Thai guy and her husband for also throwing a punch first. They are the ones that instigated the violence so they shouldn't be let off just because they lost the fight they started.

"Commander Wuthi Liptapallop joined with other senior officers in assuring the public that everything would be done to try and ensure the safety of tourists in the wake of the shocking attacks that caused uproar throughout the world."

this is such a god damned lie. i was in Soi Bintabaht the night this happened. there were no police anywhere.

funny, for some reason this story does not mention the attacks took place about 150 yards from the police station.

Soi Bintabaht was packed with people, you could hardly move, there were many times people were panicking to get off the streets as people began pushing and shoving.

"Wuthi said that this was an important case as it involved tourists and police had worked hard to resolve the matter quickly and efficiently. Following a news conference in which tourist organisations and business leaders presented floral tributes to thank the police for their work on the case, Wuthi went to visit the site of the April 13th attack in Soi Bintabaht, central Hua Hin."

I've been part of Songkran in Pattaya a few times. Only police I've ever seen was the one token cop there allowing himself to be a target for water. Walk down the other streets, none.

A few years ago, we had to make a hasty retreat on second road as we were headed home, walking. A fight broke out, bottles where being thrown. Absolute mayhem.

On the drive home, it was like a war zone. Scooters going back and forth across Sukhumvit. No helmets. No lights. Speeding. Drunk. And NO police.

This is why I avoid Pattaya at all costs during Songkran. I made the mistake of going there one year just after Songkran ended in Bangkok. I was unaware that Songkran went on for an additional 4 or 5 days in Pattaya. After that experience, I vowed 'never again'.

From what i seen of the video the woman smacked some guy in the face first which initiated the violence.

In my opinion they got what they deserved.

You can thank the mom.

She should be charged with assault.

Edited by Rayk

This is why I avoid Pattaya at all costs during Songkran. I made the mistake of going there one year just after Songkran ended in Bangkok. I was unaware that Songkran went on for an additional 4 or 5 days in Pattaya. After that experience, I vowed 'never again'.

Why any casual Western tourist would choose Songkran as a time to visit The Kingdom is beyond me.

It seems like worst time to visit, especially if one is visiting Thailand for the first time. A bunch of drunk people lining the roads throwing water around is not any sort of accurate representation of what Thailand is about.

If I am going to be here during "the holidays", I come in a few days before. If we have enough lead time (read: beat the northward migration), we might go up to Nong Hin (Loei), where most of the wife's family still lives, and stay until well after the southward migration has ended. Usually, we just stay at home in Chok Chai (not Farm) Korat, visiting some family nearby, but generally just avoiding the stupidity.

From what i seen of the video the woman smacked some guy in the face first which initiated the violence.

In my opinion they got what they deserved.

You can thank the mom.

She should be charged with assault.

There really is no way to tell you how... erhm... unintelligent you are without getting banned.

Unintelligent for thinking the instigators of the violence and those who threw the first punches in the fight also be charged, I think you may be confusing intelligent with unintelligent because unintelligent is thinking those who start fights and ultimately lose should have their crimes overlooked.

I originally thought this was exaggerated on how enraged some Thai's can get after drinks.

There was a commercial once depicting this and it seemed unreal at the time whereas it showed friends going out for a drink having a good time then two clips later one was over turning the table and turning on his friends. THEN, I saw this in real life from start to finish almost like the commercial. It almost didn't look real.

I guess this will happen to insecure immature individuals that cannot take their drink.