Bike catches fire at pump after attendant filmed using mobile phone

rooster59

Bike catches fire at pump after attendant filmed using mobile phone

post-247607-0-40128200-1462000021_thumb.

SURIN:-- PTT have moved quickly to assure the public of petrol pump safety after a fire ignited a motorcycle being filled at a Surin gas station.

The clip shows an attendant using a mobile phone just seconds before the bike catches fire.

Signs forbidding use of mobile phones in areas where petrol is being dispensed are standard warning features at PTT stations and other pumps in Thailand, reports Thairath.

Only the quick actions of the staff in using a fire extinguisher saved the vehicle from serious damage at the station in the Ratanaburi area of the north eastern Thai province.

The clip was shared on the Facebook page of Maengpong Ratanaburi and was shown across national television Friday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY1wQEYcO_Y

Suchart Ramart of the marketing division at PTT head office said that there were no injuries in the incident and that the motorcycle concerned was fit for use after a wipe down. He said that staff nationwide are being reminded about procedures including mobile phone usage but that an investigation would be conducted to see what had happened in this case.

He praised the quick action of staff in extinguishing the fire saying that this was as a result of widespread training that the company gives staff in this regard.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-04-30

The clip shows an attendant using a mobile phone just seconds before the bike catches fire.

From the clip I doubt that it had to do with the mobile phone.

Before using the tap he puts the mobile on top of the pump housing.

Close to impossible that this could ignite the fuel at the tank inlet.

Much looks like a technical defect of the motorbike, something overheated, fuel sprinkled.

The pickup driver was a bit slow with his decision to turn away.

I would have been faster biggrin.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

Static discharge between pump nozzle and the bike tank.........

not sure of that either as he had already started discharging fuel before it ignited, if static was responsible it would have gone up immediately, possiblely some sort of electrical fault on the bike or some very poorly installed aftermarket bling equipment

This idea has been debunked and proven false so many times by reputable research. No matter how real it looks it is a scam

same as the Thai favorite that it is dangerous to use a mobile phone in a thunder storm when there is lightning round. A load of rubbish, no truth in it what so ever but people believe it.

1 --- Reckon there was a spill first, on to hot metal? Flame suddenly everywhere, didnt start at filler eh. Static? maybe not with the high humidity.

2 --- I Don't believe there is enough radiated power from mobile phones to cause spark.

3 --- Also don't believe any danger using mobile phone in a storm except a very slim chance of acoustic shock in the ear. But using a land line? no way Hosea.

Edited by Jing Joe

1 --- Reckon there was a spill first, on to hot metal? Flame suddenly everywhere, didnt start at filler eh. Static? maybe not with the high humidity.

2 --- I Don't believe there is enough radiated power from mobile phones to cause spark.

3 --- Also don't believe any danger using mobile phone in a storm except a very slim chance of acoustic shock in the ear. But using a land line? no way Hosea.

Or using a mobile phone when it is plugged into the charger during a thunderstorm

Good response by pumping attendant to set the hose down and clear out,after that he was of no assistance.

The other three had remarkable reactions to hit the shunt button,try tapping out the flames(pretty crazy but effective) move the bike away from the pumps and get the fire extinguisher then move the bike after it was doused.

Top marks in my opinion.

Or using a mobile phone when it is plugged into the charger during a thunderstorm
Lightning can take such bizarre paths I wouldn't trust touching anything close to house wiring such as a plugged in charger, or any water pipes as some else said. Not even a stainless steel kitchen sink that touches pipes. That motor bike incident was lucky to have come off so unscathed.

Not real fair to criticize actions and in-actions during that one. Panic sure messes things up; often.

Edited by Jing Joe

What can you do in a country where I am warned again and again not to use my mobile phone (at home!) during thunderstorm biggrin.png

I posted about that very subject a few days ago:

There was a news report of a Thai woman who was struck by lightning when using her mobile phone. That was only because she had the charger plugged in while using it. The domestic mains supply received a hit, which was conducted to her via the charger.

(It was in this thread I posted: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/912484-pea-warns-of-electrical-risks-during-thunderstorm/ )