Why you shouldn't fear violence in Thailand

webfact

I lived in a village in North West Thailand,i moved into my girlfriends house and her older son did not want to work so one day i said to him do not think i am going to support you,next thing he gone crazy( HE WAS ALREADY ON JABA) he came at me i shut the door so i could get out into the street,thats when i see a crash helmet thrown into the street next minute he had 2 machets in his hands saying i want to kill you,i hid in a house down the road, my girlfriend called the police i was told by the police i must move out of the house,which i have done.

What do you expect, exactly?

You are living with somebody else's kid and that kid is on drugs. You live with that situation, yet are somewhat shocked when the drug addict turns on you.

Would you move in with a drug addict in your home country?

This guy's story confirms my assumptions that most westerners (except the relatively young and the ones well known in the Thai-expat business community) tend to go out with the dredges of Thai society, bar girls from broken marriages with drug addicted kids, no income and little education. Is this what western altruism is about, going out with the lowest of the low, the types that no respectable Thai man would get into a relationship with because you feel sorry for their situation?

I would rather be alone for the rest of my life than subject myself to the humiliation of being in a relationship with a woman who is a loser in her own society.

There should really be minimum qualifications for Thai women to be in relationships with foreign men (especially westerners) as follows:

Minimum education: Bachelor's Degree (Master's Degree preferred)

Minimum income: 25,000 Baht a month if under 35, 35,000 Baht a month if over

Comes from a middle class family

Has been overseas to at least 2-3 countries

Owns a car

Lives in a house or nice condo

Something like that

Don't forget to check her teeth, before you buy...before you start a loving relationship with her!

...jeeeeeezus!

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good that he feels so safe walking around the street late at night. That is, until it happens to him.. Then his tune will change. Personally, my experience has shown that in most cases a foreigner can smile his way out of most tense situations. I say most because there are times when Thai men simply want to exert some violence. Case in point: I was with my Thai family talking about the water supply using my wife to translate to her father. Out of the blue, the father picked up a large knife used for cutting bananas of the tree and he came at me with blood in his eyes. It was intervened only by my wife and her mother who jumped in front of him. As it turned out, he got angry simply because he didn't like that a foreigner was telling him a more sufficient and modern way to supply water to the house and thought that I should be doing it his way regardless. It didn't matter if I was in the right about it. He was losing face because I would not back down and because he was looking like he was ignorant about this to his family.

If a Thai is losing face by you or anyone. Run! Violence is the only thing they seem to understand.. Their is no compromise with them and as a foreigner, you are always going to be wrong. Even when you are right.

Sounds like you married into the wrong family. I have never heard of such garbage before - foreign consultants come to Thailand all the time to advise better ways of doing things and Thais listen and appreciate the advice given. If they don't then they pretend to listen and don't implement the actions given. Simple.

What you just stated is a very unusual story. The father was either mentally deranged or angry that you married his daughter. Without judging you, I reckon you probably married one of these lo-so bar girls. A more educated father would never react in such a way.

Hehee you are dead wrong in your guess. My wife has a master's degree and works for the ministry of education. If I want a bar girl I would buy one, not marry one.

The loss of face thing can turn events ugly.

The slap by the British woman over a drunk Thai mans face during their celebration period , can be a costly mistake.

I say this with full respect to the poor victim and make no justification for the thuggery .

But Thais watching clearly thought they got their just deserts.

In fact it could have more worse if many more joined in .

I have seen worse.

Thailand is a third wood country still developing .

A newspaper with grizzly photos reflects its stage of development.

Thais are not horrified like westerners at "" Real "" violence.

And are capable of committing it.

I almost married a Thai woman.

But was put off by what happened one evening in 2004.

We were being robbed at knife point .i had just taken 10,000 from an ATM machine on third road Pattaya at 2am.

A man armed with a sharp looking rope blade 8-9 inches long menacingly demanded the money.

He looked like a drug addicted angry son of a bitch so I handed it over.

But the woman who I was with had other ideas .

She smashed the man with a swing wild direct hit to his temple using a long neck of unopened Chang she was carrying from 7/11 .the guy dropped cold.

Banging his head on the footpath .

She then started trying to scratch his face to pieces .

And I had to stop her.

My policy is money aint important .

I nod yes at Thais .

Smile stay calm.

Remember it ain't Kansas

Yeah and I'm glad we're not in Kansas, which apparently is home to a lot of idiots who think the world is full of good Christian people, like the land of milk and honey and therefore don't lock their doors thinking nothing bad can ever happen. Then they wonder why their house was broken into.

It's the same with you - what the hell were you doing withdrawing 10,000 Baht from an ATM at 2am? What a stupid thing to do. Who needs 10,000 Baht cash in the middle of the night anyway unless it was to pay for a prostitute (probably what you were doing) or to pay for a large bar bill because you got scammed. Accommodation can be paid for when you check-out or by credit card. I can't think of any other reason to need that much money at that time of day.

As for the woman you were with - I'd marry her in a heartbeat but I'm afraid she wouldn't want to marry a wimp like you. Someone who is so stupid as to flash around a large amount of cash in the middle of the night in a town full of dodgy characters like Pattaya and then gives it to the first loser who comes along without defending himself in the slightest, shows you are a pushover.

Good that he feels so safe walking around the street late at night. That is, until it happens to him.. Then his tune will change. Personally, my experience has shown that in most cases a foreigner can smile his way out of most tense situations. I say most because there are times when Thai men simply want to exert some violence. Case in point: I was with my Thai family talking about the water supply using my wife to translate to her father. Out of the blue, the father picked up a large knife used for cutting bananas of the tree and he came at me with blood in his eyes. It was intervened only by my wife and her mother who jumped in front of him. As it turned out, he got angry simply because he didn't like that a foreigner was telling him a more sufficient and modern way to supply water to the house and thought that I should be doing it his way regardless. It didn't matter if I was in the right about it. He was losing face because I would not back down and because he was looking like he was ignorant about this to his family.

If a Thai is losing face by you or anyone. Run! Violence is the only thing they seem to understand.. Their is no compromise with them and as a foreigner, you are always going to be wrong. Even when you are right.

Sounds like you married into the wrong family. I have never heard of such garbage before - foreign consultants come to Thailand all the time to advise better ways of doing things and Thais listen and appreciate the advice given. If they don't then they pretend to listen and don't implement the actions given. Simple.

What you just stated is a very unusual story. The father was either mentally deranged or angry that you married his daughter. Without judging you, I reckon you probably married one of these lo-so bar girls. A more educated father would never react in such a way.

Hehee you are dead wrong in your guess. My wife has a master's degree and works for the ministry of education. If I want a bar girl I would buy one, not marry one.

Ministry of Education? Yet she's got a father who wouldn't think twice at swinging an axe at his own son in-law. Clearly she hasn't "educated" her own father very well, has she?

Either way you chose the wrong girl. Either disown the father or get out the relationship and fast! Let her choose: either you or the father. She can't have both.

The chances of standing near a felon in Thailand rises dramatically.

No matter where you are.

The reality is being in an isolated situation with a Thai has risk associated .

I remember reading around 8 years ago about a taxi driver stopping on a journey between Pattaya and the Airport.

He tricked the westerner to get out of the taxi presumably out of sight.

Then repeatedly stabbed him.

Evidence was the westerner profusely wounded fought then tried to flee for his life, but the murderer got him and ended it with another frenzy.

Gambling debts were the motive the killer confessed.

He said he was a good man , but needed money.

The police agreed he was normally good.

And the westerner had mentioned gifts and items and indicated he had cash.

Produced a thick wallet.

A conviction was however made .

But it was noted the western was foolish.

Violence in Thailand goes often along the lines of "" have "" and "" no have""

Robbery rather than death in more common less reported.

Most are not and occur in bedrooms .

Such as drugged men who are robbed.

A punter who gets rolled by ladyboys.

A 7/11 retired expat king hit.

A village westerner kicked by an in law.

Violence is something only law prevents from occurring far more often.

Jail cells abound with felons.

Many to a cell.

Thousands in total.

Most are released and reoffend.

Unlike western countries where cons are shunned unless rehabilitation seems complete , and even then placed in roles less exposure to public, Thais have them driving boats and taxis , and tour guides.

The biggest problem is their resentment for us.

So when their leader says we don't understand they hear it.

To Thai their elites are number one in world and like animals they cower on their knees to regal posturing if ever one passes them.

A princess will have in rural areas a multitude of citizens on their knees .

It is a deeply revered institution.

Westerners are largely and purely a financial consideration.

We are not really studied for our histories, culture, or arts, etc.

What we know is not equal to Thai.

But this niggles at them as they see how we navigate the world and live to them a jet setters life.( holidaying)

They realise that the world isn't fair .

And resent us.

It's a slap in the proverbial face.

And so violence when a farang explains something wrong to them is the only recourse.

I have some engineering qualifications and I once fixed a tractor while my Thai partners father was away.

I went to his rural property and in two hours had it going .

He resented me from that day onwards.

We broke up eventually.

It never lead to violence but I would never go off to see how he was in the fields alone again.

Thailand is a third world country .

By nature in developing countries violence occurs ahead of reasoning.

No countries are escape violence but in Thailand it can be created over simple things that are even charitable.

So you broke up with your Thai spouse because you fixed her father's tractor?

What kind of bs is this? If you're an engineer then that means you are educated and capable of getting a good job.

What would they rather have had you sitting on your ass all day doing nothing and have him fix the tractor instead, or bring it to a garage?

Normally women marry men who are higher in status than they are and it's considered especially good if a husband can also be a good son-in-law that can get stuff done, not some useless loser who doesn't have any skills. Even in Thailand education and having skills is appreciated.

Good thing you broke up with that b**** because by the sounds of it, she and her father are mentally deranged.

The father had borrowed money for gambling and did so based on his belief I would loan money to fix tractor , and he would bump up costs.

I had prior .

It was a scam .

So I fixed it myself.

Making him repay the loan himself.

The woman ( daughter was ok) we broke up for other reasons.

Certainly , as many here know excuses to extort money from westerners by families is fairly common.

I just walked eventually .

The slap by the British woman over a drunk Thai mans face during their celebration period , can be a costly mistake.

I say this with full respect to the poor victim and make no justification for the thuggery .

I have seen worse.

We were being robbed at knife point .i had just taken 10,000 from an ATM machine on third road Pattaya at 2am.

A man armed with a sharp looking rope blade 8-9 inches long menacingly demanded the money.

She smashed the man with a swing wild direct hit to his temple using a long neck of unopened Chang she was carrying from 7/11 .the guy dropped cold.

And I had to stop her.

I nod yes at Thais .

Smile stay calm.

Remember it ain't Kansas

Yeah and I'm glad we're not in Kansas, which apparently is home to a lot of idiots who think the world is full of good Christian people, like the land of milk and honey and therefore don't lock their doors thinking nothing bad can ever happen. Then they wonder why their house was broken into.

It's the same with you - what the hell were you doing withdrawing 10,000 Baht from an ATM at 2am? What a stupid thing to do. Who needs 10,000 Baht cash in the middle of the night anyway unless it was to pay for a prostitute (probably what you were doing) or to pay for a large bar bill because you got scammed. Accommodation can be paid for when you check-out or by credit card. I can't think of any other reason to need that much money at that time of day.

As for the woman you were with - I'd marry her in a heartbeat but I'm afraid she wouldn't want to marry a wimp like you. Someone who is so stupid as to flash around a large amount of cash in the middle of the night in a town full of dodgy characters like Pattaya and then gives it to the first loser who comes along without defending himself in the slightest, shows you are a pushover.

Whatever Tiger.....

So you think it's wise fighting off an armed drug addict with a large knife (unarmed? )

She after all had a bottle of Chang ....not me.

Nah , bad advice , and your imagination of yourself doing so is just that.

It's only $400 my liver ...and heart ...lungs ...life is worth more.

He was point blank .

The Thai woman was very drunk.

The money was for buying her sister motor bike at bargain price for her.( but sister demanded money immediately )

And agreed stupid 12 years ago to withdraw.( That time of day)

Was drunk at the time.

However if you think that makes you the big bad guy and you think bitching is the way to go ....that's your little trip.

Chances are your not the sharpest guy in town back then.

You learn from mistakes.

She didn't loose the money.

And saved the day.

Though the violence went too far.

Anyhow go back to critiquing people with your BS self inflated righteousness Tiger ....in between the Rambo delusions ....funny dude.

Get a life

Edited by Plutojames88

^^

Don't see the problem, I'm happy to have a woman protect me.

Once she beats him to the ground, you get to kick him in the head, that's the Thai way.

Yes he took his eyes off the girl and got belted by a big Chang .....

Back on topic ....

If I had to bet ...she would have either killed him or left he close to death.

It was actually the turning point in the relationship .

Dragging her off an unconscious man who she was tearing apart.

Not pretty .

Really not my scene.

It was her birthday next day and I remember her acting like a soft angel with the gentle disposition of a choir girl.

Conclusion is Thais can indeed get ugly.

Edited by Plutojames88

No matter where you are.

I remember reading around 8 years ago about a taxi driver stopping on a journey between Pattaya and the Airport.

Evidence was the westerner profusely wounded fought then tried to flee for his life, but the murderer got him and ended it with another frenzy.

Produced a thick wallet.

Many to a cell.

Thousands in total.

Unlike western countries where cons are shunned unless rehabilitation seems complete , and even then placed in roles less exposure to public, Thais have them driving boats and taxis , and tour guides.

To Thai their elites are number one in world and like animals they cower on their knees to regal posturing if ever one passes them.

But this niggles at them as they see how we navigate the world and live to them a jet setters life.( holidaying)

And resent us.

And so violence when a farang explains something wrong to them is the only recourse.

I have some engineering qualifications and I once fixed a tractor while my Thai partners father was away.

We broke up eventually.

It never lead to violence but I would never go off to see how he was in the fields alone again.

No countries are escape violence but in Thailand it can be created over simple things that are even charitable.

So you broke up with your Thai spouse because you fixed her father's tractor?

What kind of bs is this? If you're an engineer then that means you are educated and capable of getting a good job.

What would they rather have had you sitting on your ass all day doing nothing and have him fix the tractor instead, or bring it to a garage?

Normally women marry men who are higher in status than they are and it's considered especially good if a husband can also be a good son-in-law that can get stuff done, not some useless loser who doesn't have any skills. Even in Thailand education and having skills is appreciated.

Good thing you broke up with that b**** because by the sounds of it, she and her father are mentally deranged.

The father had borrowed money for gambling and did so based on his belief I would loan money to fix tractor , and he would bump up costs.

I had prior .

It was a scam .

So I fixed it myself.

Making him repay the loan himself.

The woman ( daughter was ok) we broke up for other reasons.

Certainly , as many here know excuses to extort money from westerners by families is fairly common.

I just walked eventually .

OK thanks for that common sense explanation.

I came away from your story thinking that Thai women would rather marry a dumb useless person than say a capable engineer (like you) and I knew that couldn't be right. Thai women marry foreign men precisely because they want to be with someone who is capable of supporting them through a good job and even better if they can do things around the house/farm etc. If foreigners were expected to be completely incompetent and stupid just so a Thai doesn't look bad, then there would be no reason for Thai to marry a foreigner.

And this is what you married into?? God help you one day if you're alone with this maniac.

I have seen worse.

And I had to stop her.

I nod yes at Thais .

Smile stay calm.

Remember it ain't Kansas

Whatever Tiger.....

So you think it's wise fighting off an armed drug addict with a large knife unarmed?

It's only $400 my liver and heart lungs life is worth more.

The money was buying her sister motor bike at bargain price for her.

And agreed stupid 12 years ago to withdraw.

Was drunk at the time.

However if you think that makes you the big bad guy and you think bitching is the way to go ....that's your little trip.

You learn from mistakes.

And saved the day.

Anyhow go back to critiquing people with your BS self inflated righteousness Tiger ....in between the Rambo delusions ....funny dude.

Get a life

Withdrawing money to buy a motorcycle at 2am? Yes, smart move Einstein. That transaction couldn't have waited until daytime?

I'm not being self-righteous nor did I suggest fighting off that attacker. However, you put yourself into a difficult situation by doing something no sane person would do. Yes you were drunk but that's no excuse. 2am is when bars close and you go home (or to your hotel).

I lived in a village in North West Thailand,i moved into my girlfriends house and her older son did not want to work so one day i said to him do not think i am going to support you,next thing he gone crazy( HE WAS ALREADY ON JABA) he came at me i shut the door so i could get out into the street,thats when i see a crash helmet thrown into the street next minute he had 2 machets in his hands saying i want to kill you,i hid in a house down the road, my girlfriend called the police i was told by the police i must move out of the house,which i have done.

What do you expect, exactly?

You are living with somebody else's kid and that kid is on drugs. You live with that situation, yet are somewhat shocked when the drug addict turns on you.

Would you move in with a drug addict in your home country?

This guy's story confirms my assumptions that most westerners (except the relatively young and the ones well known in the Thai-expat business community) tend to go out with the dredges of Thai society, bar girls from broken marriages with drug addicted kids, no income and little education. Is this what western altruism is about, going out with the lowest of the low, the types that no respectable Thai man would get into a relationship with because you feel sorry for their situation?

I would rather be alone for the rest of my life than subject myself to the humiliation of being in a relationship with a woman who is a loser in her own society.

There should really be minimum qualifications for Thai women to be in relationships with foreign men (especially westerners) as follows:

Minimum education: Bachelor's Degree (Master's Degree preferred)

Minimum income: 25,000 Baht a month if under 35, 35,000 Baht a month if over

Comes from a middle class family

Has been overseas to at least 2-3 countries

Owns a car

Lives in a house or nice condo

Something like that

According to a large share of the posters here on ThaiVisa forums, that is exactly the type of Thai lady they are with.

I have seen worse.

And I had to stop her.

I nod yes at Thais .

Smile stay calm.

Remember it ain't Kansas

Whatever Tiger.....

So you think it's wise fighting off an armed drug addict with a large knife unarmed?

It's only $400 my liver and heart lungs life is worth more.

The money was buying her sister motor bike at bargain price for her.

And agreed stupid 12 years ago to withdraw.

Was drunk at the time.

You learn from mistakes.

And saved the day.

Get a life

Withdrawing money to buy a motorcycle at 2am? Yes, smart move Einstein. That transaction couldn't have waited until daytime?

I'm not being self-righteous nor did I suggest fighting off that attacker. However, you put yourself into a difficult situation by doing something no sane person would do. Yes you were drunk but that's no excuse. 2am is when bars close and you go home (or to your hotel).

Sure good advice.

If only we all could be wise .

It was stupid .

I admit that .

Anyhow lets get back on topic

Gee, I'll bet you and your father-in-law have never gotten along--have you ever shown the father of your wife any respect?

What a stupid question.. Of course I have and have known him for years before I ever married his daughter..

Stupid is often in the eye of the beholder. While you may have seen and even talked with your father-in-law before; it is apparent you did not connect. You say you believe he lost face because you discussed it in front of the family. Why didn't you talk it over with him and reached a conclusion; especially since you knew him so well?

Sounds to me the most stupid thing is how you handled it.

No matter where you are.

Produced a thick wallet.

Many to a cell.

Thousands in total.

And resent us.

We broke up eventually.

what a load of BS, lot more people getting killed in the US

Had an interesting conversation with the children in France. How is it? What is the difference between France and Thailand. etc.etc. What's the main difference? Answer: It is surprisingly peaceful. The Thai kids just picked fights all the time for no reason and took it through to fisticuffs. Does not happen here!!

Had an interesting conversation with the children in France. How is it? What is the difference between France and Thailand. etc.etc. What's the main difference? Answer: It is surprisingly peaceful. The Thai kids just picked fights all the time for no reason and took it through to fisticuffs. Does not happen here!!

Except it does. Poorly integrated Muslim migrant children beat up native French children for no reason and attacks are increasing. French Jews don't feel safe anymore and are leaving the country for Israel and the USA.

Rioting in ghetto areas of Paris happens almost every night.

A French expat in Thailand told me recently how on edge he was last year when he took his Thai wife to France. He says he always carries a knife with him.

There are certainly plenty of violent Thai teenagers. However, before you assume Thailand is the only country with these problems you might want to ask some more French children preferably those in Paris or Marseille.

Except it does. Poorly integrated Muslim migrant children beat up native French children for no reason and attacks are increasing. French Jews don't feel safe anymore and are leaving the country for Israel and the USA.

A French expat in Thailand told me recently how on edge he was last year when he took his Thai wife to France. He says he always carries a knife with him.

There are certainly plenty of violent Thai teenagers. However, before you assume Thailand is the only country with these problems you might want to ask some more French children preferably those in Paris or Marseille.

no-one is assuming Thailand is the only place with problems, but the problems of other countries in no way mitigates the situation in Thailand. THis is a thread about violence in Thailand and as a developing nation - as said earlier - it will increasingly have to face the kind of urban violence that developed countries do. however it is how WELL they manage to cope with it that is of concern.....untrained police and authorities in general that simply aren't educated enough to handle the root causes of these problems.

I would assume that two very significant factors would increase or decrease violence in Thailand:

1) The state of the economy; right now, the economy is relatively stagnant. I would expect higher rates of violence.

2) The state of the police and the courts. When the police and the courts are ineffective in resolving problems in a timely and fair way, people take things into their own hands. The RTP is inconsistent, to say the least.

That's interesting, but a big slice of the Scottish working class are exactly the same. They put information together badly, they place mad constructions on what has been said or done, they're looking to take offence all the time....

Irvine Welsh - in Reheated Cabbage - describes a young Begbie getting ready to assault his prospective brother-in-law. The mad, disjointed "reasoning" is exactly what f**kwits all over the world have instead of a mind.

- My 34 years old friend who is a financial Times journalist wife was punched by a taxi driver while she was holding a six months old baby. Her crime? Refusing to get off with her baby in the middle of nowhere just because the cabdriver had changed his mind and decided the journey was not worth it due to heavy traffic.

- I 45 years old lady was beaten up by an enraged Thai man, for walking into a private soi without my knowledge of the soi being private.

- I was kicked in the head by drunken neighbor for my dog fighting with his street dogs. His dogs having privatized the soi they attack any other dosg walking in- while I was savagely bitten by 2 of his dogs. Head injuries 4 Stitches.on the skull and legs scars still visible after 6 months

- I was assaulted by 2 Thai racist women walking in the street who punched me.in the arm.and back just because.

- I was attacked by my drunk neighbor and punched just because he was drunk or in a bad mood

So you can keep your warning thank you very much

- My 34 years old friend who is a financial Times journalist wife was punched by a taxi driver while she was holding a six months old baby. Her crime? Refusing to get off with her baby in the middle of nowhere just because the cabdriver had changed his mind and decided the journey was not worth it due to heavy traffic.

- I 45 years old lady was beaten up by an enraged Thai man, for walking into a private soi without my knowledge of the soi being private.

- I was kicked in the head by drunken neighbor for my dog fighting with his street dogs. His dogs having privatized the soi they attack any other dosg walking in- while I was savagely bitten by 2 of his dogs. Head injuries 4 Stitches.on the skull and legs scars still visible after 6 months

- I was assaulted by 2 Thai racist women walking in the street who punched me.in the arm.and back just because.

- I was attacked by my drunk neighbor and punched just because he was drunk or in a bad mood

In Thailand many depressed & economically poor ,..drink a white whiskey in small 10 baht shots.

It's essentially an ethanol type substance that could turn Christ into Charles Manson.

Just add Farangs

Edited by Plutojames88

Last year, In a big International School whose name starts by I and finishes by B, young children -under 10- were molested by Thai male staff.

The all thing was hushed away and staffs were promptly sacked.

The violence is rampant and stats support that.

More Australians , Europeans , Americans are assaulted whilst on Holiday in Thailand than anywhere else.

And with the economic problems facing a stubborn military government it's going to get worse.

Thais turn to grog in tough times.

Robbery has gone through the roof too.

People can talk about US or Paris all they want.

Call this info BS because it has happened to them.

But a fast google confirms what people concerned on this thread are warning.

It's simple propaganda to imply Thailand safe

It's not....and getting much worse very very fast.

Sanctions would make it just too dangerous to imagine for well heeled tourists out late

no-one is assuming Thailand is the only place with problems, but the problems of other countries in no way mitigates the situation in Thailand. THis is a thread about violence in Thailand and as a developing nation - as said earlier - it will increasingly have to face the kind of urban violence that developed countries do. however it is how WELL they manage to cope with it that is of concern.....untrained police and authorities in general that simply aren't educated enough to handle the root causes of these problems.

"it will increasingly have to face the kind of urban violence that developed countries do."

Umm...no. So what you are saying is to become developed, Thailand has to become more violent? Let me see here, how much urban violence is there in Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan or South Korea? Virtually none you say? Oh yeah that's right.

Then let's compare it to France, Belgium, the UK, Sweden, the USA. What's the difference? Oh yes that's right, apart from more racial heterogeneity in those countries there is also a problem of lawlessness in some areas. There are tons of no-go areas in all these countries (and many others).

As for Thailand, the problems are of a completely different nature and stem more from an education, law enforcement and corruption problem. If the country ever strictly applies the rule of law, imposes tough penalties for violent crime including crimes committed by youth and is able to greatly surpress corruption, particularly when it comes to influencing the outcome of criminal cases then crime will go down significantly. Of course, improving educational standards, re-inforcing family values, discouraging "alternative" lifestyles that break families apart, imposing tough penalties on drug trafficking and reducing consumption of alcohol, particularly amongst youth and other vulnerable groups will help in reducing the prospensity for crime to occur in the first place.

This may be a topic about Thailand, but I can't help but set the record straight on "Laolover's" slander of Thailand by making France out to be some kind of utopia, when I've heard French people tell me they're very worried about the future there. Maybe it was 50 years ago, but not anymore with all the middle eastern Muslim migration. France is going down the toilet fast and Thailand can learn nothing useful from that country. Thailand can however learn from more suitable role models full of hard working, law abiding citizens like China, Japan and South Korea.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

Jeez...where the hell do you live that you get yourself into so much trouble? Some Khlong Toei slum?

While I am not in any way doubting your story but maybe you need to find a different neighborhood? Why is it that I have never had any problems here that weren't somehow self-inflicted due to my own carelessness/stupidity?

And just FYI I've been here on-off for more than 15 years and don't notice much difference between back then and now. Well, actually, maybe it's even slightly safer - a few years ago some gang of youths was terrorizing Lampang and Chiang Mai but those goons seem to have been rounded up and taken off the streets a long time ago.

You're a woman and therefore more vulnerable to attack than a man. How about dispensing with this ridiculous "farang" notion of walking everywhere and do what the Thais do - get in a car, or on a motorcycle. Or catch the Skytrain (if you're in Bangkok). It's just safer, not to mention more comfortable. Nobody walks here, so I don't either. When in Rome...