Police not behind video attack leak - incident a "nightmare" for the country, says PM office

i live in Hua Hin.

I have first person info that one Farang (unidentified in the press, but well know here in Hua Hin) has now become the subject of serious police harassment over his trying to come to the aid of the family.

He may lose his business and have to return to the UK.

I seem to recall you were the one who tried to stir things up a few days ago claiming this was a racially motivated attack by Thais on tourists - once again on the basis of uncorroborated 'special' inside information.....

Fortunately TV had the good sense to jump all over that little fantasy.

Now you are trying again on a different tack

Seems to me you are something of a professional sh*t stirrer.

Wheras I recall that NCC17etc,, was the first to post this on the forum - but it was closed as gossip/hearsay.

You are correct, at the time of posting they were unsubstantiated, and unlike the local forum, TV rightly waits until substantiated reports are available.

The local forum, also mislead its readers for two weeks stating that the attack was unprovoked and that the tourists were totally innocent and that they had suffered serious injuries.

What?? After NCC17etc. post, we heard nothing for 2 weeks - until (as it turns out) the footage was leaked. Not released by the police as we all thought (2 weeks later) to try to identify the head kicking savages!

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Reply to Dick Dasterdly:-

It was known within both the Thai and expat communities that there had been an incident that morning.

There are many CCTV’s in Soi Bintabaht and it was obvious that they would play a big role in the investigation.

In fact a few weeks before Songkram, the police went around the bars and took note of their CCTV availability and coverage.

i live in Hua Hin.

I have first person info that one Farang (unidentified in the press, but well know here in Hua Hin) has now become the subject of serious police harassment over his trying to come to the aid of the family.

I seem to recall you were the one who tried to stir things up a few days ago claiming this was a racially motivated attack by Thais on tourists - once again on the basis of uncorroborated 'special' inside information.....

Wheras I recall that NCC17etc,, was the first to post this on the forum - but it was closed as gossip/hearsay.

You are correct, at the time of posting they were unsubstantiated, and unlike the local forum, TV rightly waits until substantiated reports are available.

The local forum, also mislead its readers for two weeks stating that the attack was unprovoked and that the tourists were totally innocent and that they had suffered serious injuries.

To be honest for me the video is hard to follow 100%.

But I watch it and am fairly sure the people the foreigners had an issue with and the ones who beat them werenot the same people.The young guys hitting and kicking appears to me to not even be part of the dispute. To me that makes the attacks unprovoked. To be honest and to the point, The thugs put their nose in where it wasnot supposed to be. Maybe if they go to jail a few years they will learn to mind their own business.

If it was not their dispute it has nothing to do with them,they were not provoked pretty simple.They are just thugs.

Having established that the video which gives a reasonable overall view of events was not "leaked" by the Police but is video footage from the"public domain" taken in a public place and therefore not restricted "evidence'. Regardless of what eventuated the supposition that it should be supressed is a mistake. Any "damage" is now increased by the outrage of that supposition alone.Little is said in explanation of the increasing resentment many Thais now often openly display toward nonThai or the problem of feuding teenage groups causing disturbances in places like community market places instead of back streets or side roads as previously happened.Sadly Thailand is cultivating esculating social problems of public aggression and violence I have not witnessed or been made aware of before. This Hua Hin event is an extreme example. The "victims" are apparently not entirely innocent but the retaliation is bizzare!

If at the very least it establishes greater caution and self control in all directions then any so called "leak" should be considered beneficial regardless of the source.

Rosemary please go back to Wales ASAP - you're a really bad example of loutish behaviour and remind me of one of those horrid football fans we have that follow the England football team in Europe and give us a bad name. The bottom line is you don't go to foreign countries and start slapping people around the face telling them how it is. Please just leave.

Why are you bringing the English into this ...the lady in question is Welsh isnt she?

A nightmare for the country,.....how about for all the fearful tourists and expats who live here waiting for their own kick to the head ?

..they have never heard of a 'foot patrol' = walking in pairs with a baton, torch and hand held radio in those areas that attract locals drinking and misbehaving...they're too scared here to take on their own..and just look at the cowardly behavior Thai men and how they terrify everyone that walks into their 'territory'..they don't care as no-one is ever going to stop them!

High time the authorities took policing and protecting the community seriously.

I was under the impression the Army demanded respect from the Police...it seems to all have gone south.

Heavy handed tactics are needed to target these areas and those Thais who are making life a misery for so many including expats, tourists and the poor Lao woman.

Deplorable and totally unacceptable behavior not to be tolerated anywhere on the planet.

How about regular Army patrols Mr PM to restore harmony, peace and law and order?

i live in Hua Hin.

"once again on the basis of uncorroborated 'special' inside information....." yeah like talking directly to the eyewitnesses.

all I am doing is reporting what i have been told.

I reported the attack here first. I posted it as warning for Farangs in Hua Hin as there was one more night of Songkran.

I was told the Thai men stated they were looking to attack Farangs. Warning people in Hua Hin was my sole motivation.

Now I have be told about the police harassment. I thought everyone should know.

Typical banana republic style !

The victims get flowers, the attackers a slap on the wrist and the messenger gets jailed.

Who cares about violence? As long as no one knows whats going on, everything is cool

My breakdown of, and lessons learned from this very unfortunate incident:

The video starts off with 2 Thai gangsters to the left of screen having a very heated discussion. At the exact same time there's a farang in a blue shirt at the top of screen having a laugh with some bargirls(?). The Brit family then comes from the top of screen with the son (black shirt) in front. Blue shirt invites black shirt into the bar for a drink but he doesn't accept. He should have accepted. That is the fatal moment this all kicks off.

Lesson 1: Always accept drink invitations from friendly strangers

0:17 Because black shirt is distracted by blue shirt (and also looks tipsy/drunk) he turns around to keep walking without noticing the passing gangsters. Gangster #2 pushes gangster #1 away in anger and walks off. Gangster #1 quickly runs after #2 to try and grab him but at the same moment the Brit's arm touches his, and for some reason the Brit decides to grab Gangster #1. Big mistake

Lesson 2: While on holiday, do not grab the locals

0:20 Gangster #1 retreats back to push the son Brit who grabbed him. Unfortunately the video skips just as he pushes him so it's hard to judge the force of the shove. That push should not have sent the Brit to the ground, but the Brit has one occupied hand holding his Mum's and he also looks back at the direction of the push instead of the direction that he is traveling. He then accidentally trips himself! His back foot hits his front foot and that's what sends his face flying onto the step a few feet away. He is also quite top-heavy and seems drunk. To be fair to him though the ground looks wet.

Lesson 3: Stay fit and take part in exercises that will improve your coordination and balance

0:26 Brit Mum goes over to Gangster #1, puts her hand on him and gets all up in his grill. Gangster (holding a beer in his left hand) is not impressed. He staunches up and they begin to argue.

0:50 Brit Mum slaps Gangster #1 in the face. This was an incredibly stupid move. Seriously, if you have a problem call the police. You never know who you're dealing with. They then continue their arguing while a crowd forms around them. It's hard to see what's happening but it looks like British Dad (purple floral shirt) throws a punch at 1:14 at Gangster #2 while the Son wraps his arms around him. At 1:16 Tiny Gangster (black shirt) throws a strike at Brit Mum's body and face. Notice Tall Farang (white shirt black cap) trying his best to break up the altercation. Also notice at 1:18 another farang (Russian looking - mullet haircut with striped shirt) comes into the fracas from the top of screen and tries to calm things.

Now it gets really bad. At 1:20 watch Gangster #2 break free from the grasp of Brit Son. He then proceeds to pretend to walk away but instead he circles the whole crowd, zeroes in on Brit Dad (who had punched him earlier) and runs straight at him while delivering a brutal straight left to the face. Dad goes down hard. Gangster #2 then follows up with a devastating soccer kick to the head of the floored Dad after he attempts to get up.

At 1:29 Tiny Gangster Red (top of screen) sees Gangster #2 go for the punch and decides it is on. He escapes the clutches of his girlfriend to join in, punches Brit Son in the back (who barely flinches) and is then stopped by the much bigger Russian. Tiny Red proceeds to land multiple punches and a knee to the body of the Russian. It is at this point 1:35 that Tall Farang realizes the futility of trying to help out and hilariously throws his hands up in frustration and leaves the scene from the top.

Also at 1:35 Mum & Son both approach Gangster #2 after he KO'd Dad. He reacts by delivering a left to the face of Mum and then another to the slowly-approaching Son. They both go down.

Lesson 4: Many Thai men are knowledgeable in the art of Muay Thai kickboxing

Tiny Red is still fighting with the Russian and at this point 1:41 Tiny Red's girlfriend tries to get in between them. Now this part is crazy! The Russian goes for the clinch but Girlfriend gets between them at that exact same moment. Because Russian is still being blinded by the rapid punches of Tiny Red he mistakenly picks up the girl and throws her to the ground, before being ushered away by his own female companion.

Lesson 5: Do not jump into the middle of a fight unless you are trained in martial arts

1:42 Meanwhile after the Son gets knocked down, Gangster #2 walks around behind him and delivers 3 brutal soccer kicks to the back of his head. This is incredibly devastating and could easily cause a serious injury or fatality. Gangster #1 also makes an appearance and stomps on Son's head 3 times. Those two bumping into each other was the original catalyst for this melee.

1:46 Gangster #4 leaves the worst for last. Tough as nails Brit Dad is on all fours attempting to get up again and Gangster #4 delivers a running soccer kick to his head, KOing him. He then sees Brit Mum coming to her senses and delivers another devastating soccer kick to her face knocking her out. This is incredibly sickening and that coward should be locked up for a long time.

Lesson 6: Sometimes it's better to stay down and play dead

Gangster #2 then claps his hands and that's a wrap. They exit the scene while onlookers begin to help the victims. You cannot blame bystanders for not getting involved and simply protecting themselves.

I'm not blaming the victims here, but after dissecting the video I see how they were at fault for escalating the situation. Accidents happen and they unfortunately bumped into the wrong people. Sometimes it is better to swallow your pride, walk away and forget that something happened, especially when you are a guest abroad in a foreign country.. Some cultures have different ways of doing things and often put a different price on the value of human life. Generally if you are respectful you will easily avoid any trouble. I sincerely hope that the victims make a full recovery and that the attackers are delivered a proportionate punishment.

The video starts off with 2 Thai gangsters to the left of screen having a very heated discussion. At the exact same time there's a farang in a blue shirt at the top of screen having a laugh with some bargirls(?). The Brit family then comes from the top of screen with the son (black shirt) in front. Blue shirt invites black shirt into the bar for a drink but he doesn't accept. He should have accepted. That is the fatal moment this all kicks off.

0:17 Because black shirt is distracted by blue shirt (and also looks tipsy/drunk) he turns around to keep walking without noticing the passing gangsters. Gangster #2 pushes gangster #1 away in anger and walks off. Gangster #1 quickly runs after #2 to try and grab him but at the same moment the Brit's arm touches his, and for some reason the Brit decides to grab Gangster #1. Big mistake

0:20 Gangster #1 retreats back to push the son Brit who grabbed him. Unfortunately the video skips just as he pushes him so it's hard to judge the force of the shove. That push should not have sent the Brit to the ground, but the Brit has one occupied hand holding his Mum's and he also looks back at the direction of the push instead of the direction that he is traveling. He then accidentally trips himself! His back foot hits his front foot and that's what sends his face flying onto the step a few feet away. He is also quite top-heavy and seems drunk. To be fair to him though the ground looks wet.

Lesson 3: Stay fit and take part in exercises that will improve your coordination and balance

0:26 Brit Mum goes over to Gangster #1, puts her hand on him and gets all up in his grill. Gangster (holding a beer in his left hand) is not impressed. He staunches up and they begin to argue.

0:50 Brit Mum slaps Gangster #1 in the face. This was an incredibly stupid move. Seriously, if you have a problem call the police. You never know who you're dealing with. They then continue their arguing while a crowd forms around them. It's hard to see what's happening but it looks like British Dad (purple floral shirt) throws a punch at 1:14 at Gangster #2 while the Son wraps his arms around him. At 1:16 Tiny Gangster (black shirt) throws a strike at Brit Mum's body and face. Notice Tall Farang (white shirt black cap) trying his best to break up the altercation. Also notice at 1:18 another farang (Russian looking - mullet haircut with striped shirt) comes into the fracas from the top of screen and tries to calm things.

Now it gets really bad. At 1:20 watch Gangster #2 break free from the grasp of Brit Son. He then proceeds to pretend to walk away but instead he circles the whole crowd, zeroes in on Brit Dad (who had punched him earlier) and runs straight at him while delivering a brutal straight left to the face. Dad goes down hard. Gangster #2 then follows up with a devastating soccer kick to the head of the floored Dad after he attempts to get up.

At 1:29 Tiny Gangster Red (top of screen) sees Gangster #2 go for the punch and decides it is on. He escapes the clutches of his girlfriend to join in, punches Brit Son in the back (who barely flinches) and is then stopped by the much bigger Russian. Tiny Red proceeds to land multiple punches and a knee to the body of the Russian. It is at this point 1:35 that Tall Farang realizes the futility of trying to help out and hilariously throws his hands up in frustration and leaves the scene from the top.

Also at 1:35 Mum & Son both approach Gangster #2 after he KO'd Dad. He reacts by delivering a left to the face of Mum and then another to the slowly-approaching Son. They both go down.

Tiny Red is still fighting with the Russian and at this point 1:41 Tiny Red's girlfriend tries to get in between them. Now this part is crazy! The Russian goes for the clinch but Girlfriend gets between them at that exact same moment. Because Russian is still being blinded by the rapid punches of Tiny Red he mistakenly picks up the girl and throws her to the ground, before being ushered away by his own female companion.

Lesson 5: Do not jump into the middle of a fight unless you are trained in martial arts

1:42 Meanwhile after the Son gets knocked down, Gangster #2 walks around behind him and delivers 3 brutal soccer kicks to the back of his head. This is incredibly devastating and could easily cause a serious injury or fatality. Gangster #1 also makes an appearance and stomps on Son's head 3 times. Those two bumping into each other was the original catalyst for this melee.

1:46 Gangster #4 leaves the worst for last. Tough as nails Brit Dad is on all fours attempting to get up again and Gangster #4 delivers a running soccer kick to his head, KOing him. He then sees Brit Mum coming to her senses and delivers another devastating soccer kick to her face knocking her out. This is incredibly sickening and that cowardly should be locked up for a long time.

Lesson 5: Sometimes it's better to stay down and play dead

Gangster #2 then claps his hands and that's a wrap. They exit the scene while onlookers begin to help the victims. You cannot blame bystanders for not getting involved and simply protecting themselves.

I'm not blaming the victims here, but after dissecting the video I see how they were at fault for escalating the situation. Accidents happen and they unfortunately bumped into the wrong people. Sometimes it is better to swallow your pride, walk away and forget that something happened, especially when you are a guest abroad in a foreign country.. Some cultures have different ways of doing things and often put a different price on the value of human life. Generally if you are respectful you will easily avoid any trouble. I sincerely hope that the victims make a full recovery and that the attackers are delivered a proportionate punishment.

Yes! wai2.gif

I watched that video a few times, and my take is this:

The son inadvertently knocked into a Thai guy because he was practically unable to remain vertical being so drunk.

The Thai guy already annoyed by a previous guy, gave him a shove and because he was so drunk was easily toppled and fell over.

The Mother, reacted to seeing her son hit the ground and I believe misread what was actually just a drunken fall.

She went ballistic and humiliated the Thai guy by slapping his face first for something she "thought" he did.

Then it just all got out f control, and we all know the outcome.

I am not condoning it nor excusing it , but due to that initial misinterpretation, it got a whole lot serious very fast.

This is all to prevalent when people get drunk, their judgement is impaired and they make poor decisions. Late night, partying, Songkran over indulgence, wrong place and certainly wrong time. = Perfect storm !

I am genuinely horrified by the level of attack, there is NO excuse for it.

BUT the incident could so easily have been avoided, if people drank in moderation and didnt get into altercations whilst intoxicated as the result is predictably the same regardless of Nationality.

Well you are trying to justify the level of violence that it went to, however you also failed to say that the man who punched all 3 tourists into unconsciousness was not the man who was slapped by the lady, nor was the man who then went around and kicked all 3 of them in the head while they were all semi-conscious.

You also fail to say that at the start of the video the Thai guy who got slapped and the guy who punched everyone were trying to kick off with everyone around them, including each other.

You also missed the punch by the tourist on the guy who got slapped too.

Basically, these angry Thais were looking for a fight and they found one in a bunch of OAPs who they then almost kicked to death. It doesn't matter how it started because nothing justifies what happened here.

Yes the son initially fell down after being shoved by the Thai drunk with a bottle who he innocuously brushed by. This man was already trying to start a fight with another Thai at the beginning of the video who disappeared into the crowd. Im not sure if it was him who came back and committed the main assault. I know this assault was unexcusable cowardly behaviour but as soon as it kicked off, at their age, they should have picked up their son and got the hell out of there asap instead of confronting the drunken assailant(s) and provoking more aggression. They are obviously not streetwise. I would now, in my sixties, avoid crowds of young drunks like this during any festival anytime anywhere in the World! April 13 was the Thai equivalent of Christmas Eve or New Year's Eve in a UK city centre, where most people of my age; their age, if they have any sense will avoid like the plague! This is also sadly true of Friday or Saturday nights in most UK city centres when the streets are full of groups of potentially out of control young binge-drinkers. Watch the clip again and look at the state of the Thai crowd further up the Soi. They are staggering around pushing and shoving, some squabbling and some dancing. Most look absolutely paraletic! When so many people are that drunk violence can kick off at anytime. It is no place for any farang to be, let alone a couple of OAPs, sorry Senior citizens!.

After being in Thailand a few years I've come to the conclusion that the Thais hate us. They seem to be always poised, waiting for an opportunity to give one of us a good kicking. Notice how quickly nearby Thais will jump into the fray and put a beating on a farang who is in an altercation with a Thai. There is no discussion of what the fight is about...it's just an immediate seen opportunity to kick the shit out of a farang and it's an opportunity not to be missed.

Keep your heads down folks and be safe out there.

It doesn't matter that the perpetrators were arrested. They will never spend more than one week (if even that much) in lock-up. If convicted at all, they'll be sent to serve their sentences @ some designated Thai Monastery, as a novice. Welcome to the Kingdom of Thailand. End of Story wai2.gif

1:46 Gangster #4 leaves the worst for last. Tough as nails Brit Dad is on all fours attempting to get up again and Gangster #4 delivers a running soccer kick to his head, KOing him. He then sees Brit Mum coming to her senses and delivers another devastating soccer kick to her face knocking her out. This is incredibly sickening and that cowardly should be locked up for a long time.

Lesson 5: Sometimes it's better to stay down and play dead

Yes! wai2.gif

"This is incredibly sickening and that cowardly should be locked up for a long time." The shoulds don't count, especially in Thailand, and particularly when it comes to dealing with the typical "chip-on-the-shoulder" Brit. That British family is fortunate to have gotten away with their lives intact, and a rude awakening..

Why is everyone so shocked, and dismayed by this event. Thai menfolk have been behaving like that, for more than 50-years. The difference is that the news goes viral within a matter of minutes, rather than weeks, anymore. Thus, there isn't time enough to sweep the dirt under the carpet, or wash the dirty laundry clean, before the rest of the world sees the hidden filth. That's the way of the whole world, not just Thailand.

Regardless, we'll still take Thailand, in preference over some other retirement places like Brazil, Florida or Panama.

even though this is pretty serious and all the damage that it has done to Thailands image - I would be willing to put a very large wager that what happens to these thugs when announced in the press if we actually hear any more ...........is not what actually happens, they will never see a jail - they might go to court and we might hear on some attempt at justice in the media but these thugs will walk free, and if anyone can get a picture of any one of them on the streets in the next few months then get it on social media

Thailand needs to realise that people will not tolerate this nonsense - and they will tolerate a coverup even less, yes Thailand is all about the money - these drunk thugs need to go to jail ................. if they don't then it's just another big stain on an already stained reputation.

Not reflecting on the current government it has been going on for years, the current government has a chance to put it right and get into the real world and not the 3rd world......step up and get these thugs off the streets....all of them

even though this is pretty serious and all the damage that it has done to Thailands image - I would be willing to put a very large wager that what happens to these thugs when announced in the press if we actually hear any more ...........is not what actually happens, they will never see a jail - they might go to court and we might hear on some attempt at justice in the media but these thugs will walk free, and if anyone can get a picture of any one of them on the streets in the next few months then get it on social media

Thailand needs to realise that people will not tolerate this nonsense - and they will tolerate a coverup even less, yes Thailand is all about the money - these drunk thugs need to go to jail ................. if they don't then it's just another big stain on an already stained reputation.

Not reflecting on the current government it has been going on for years, the current government has a chance to put it right and get into the real world and not the 3rd world......step up and get these thugs off the streets....all of them

If it's all that bad, then why, duh, do you remain there? British people need to wake-up and smell the coffee, for once. The British Empire is gone, gone, gone, 50 years ago! And nobody in Asia, is gonna kiss their arrogant, has been butts anymore. Period.

So join the rest of the grateful expat guest wai.gif society in the LOS Kingdom, and have a peaceful, hassle-free sojourn, on somebody else's "respected" turf.

Although the shoulds don't count, a word to the wise, again, should be sufficient.

A nightmare for the country,.....how about for all the fearful tourists and expats who live here waiting for their own kick to the head ?

As long as you don't escalate stuff like they did the risks are not that high. The old lady hit a guy in his face before it all started and then her hubby helped her. Just because her son shoved a Thai and got shoved back.

They certainly did not help their case.. yes the violence in response was over the top and should be punished.. but they were certainly not innocent.

This is what I have been saying the whole time. Sure it was brutal, and they did not deserve this level of violence, it was totally disgusting, but in all honesty, they were far from innocent.

The Brits attacked the Thais first.

Thailand is an ASEAN community nation, anymore. They wouldn't care if the entire lot of farangs packed-up and went home. And that's a fact.

Nonsense, re: the last part of your post! Resentful toward the presence of foreigners (with more money than themselves) the Thai menfolk definitely are. And they are waiting for you to give them an excuse, to kick you squarely in the face, as a gang gesture is definitely true.

Of course, beating on a woman, ganging-up against, and kicking a downed man in the face is cowardly, but that is the nature of the LOS beast. Why provoke that beast, when it is clearly obvious, there is no contest? Huh?

However, even the nastiest of Thai menfolk, are not "pro-actively" antagonistic toward foreigners, until a foreigner says, or does something to provoke them. Simply give Thai guys their "Little Lord Fauntleroy" measure of aristocratic respect, and the Thai guys will definitely leave you alone, in peace. Such are the farang Rules of the Road, in the LOS. If you can't handle it, then just leave. That is Thailand, not the UK. Period. Sigh! whistling.gif

As long as you don't escalate stuff like they did the risks are not that high. The old lady hit a guy in his face before it all started and then her hubby helped her. Just because her son shoved a Thai and got shoved back.

They certainly did not help their case.. yes the violence in response was over the top and should be punished.. but they were certainly not innocent.

This is what I have been saying the whole time. Sure it was brutal, and they did not deserve this level of violence, it was totally disgusting, but in all honesty, they were far from innocent.

At least a gang of Thai menfolk will not (as a general rule) rob you at knife, or gunpoint on the street. Even when you are sloopy, staggering pissed, Thais won't do that. Filipinos, Indonesians, Tamil Malaysians will not hesitate to act that way, whenever the opportunity presents itself.

We fell much safer on the streets Bangkok at night, than we ever have in KL, London, LA, Manila, or New York. For a people who resent foreigner, as much as Thais do, I thing they're a reasonable cool bunch of blokes, compared to most other places in world.

Got to go now chaps. Lady Bird is calling me, for afternoon fun and frolic, cheerstongue.png

The biggest nightmare and the tarnishing of Thailand's image comes from the military Junta and the cluster of numnuts in positions that try to cover up everything. The world knows, as also occurred on Koh Tao and the murder of the aussie woman for her handbag, their main priority is the tourist dollar. The people who speak out about these crimes are considered the biggest criminals and face harsher penalties than those who committed the crimes. I would be telling these TAT people to bugger off and stop stalking me with your false sympathy, shove your flowers up your back door, pay my medical costs instead and stop making statements on my behalf like I vow to return for another kicking when I have already vowed never to return.

I said it before and I say it again, you, me and no one else but the people involved and within hearing distance knows what transpired for the woman to slap the first guy in the face.
If you believe she did it without reason, up to you my friend.
There's NO excuse whatever transpired before or after the slap, to hit a Woman of any age or race and then kick her in the face, DON'T make up any excuses because there are NONE.

On the same token you do believe the guys start the violence for nothing.. but the lady would not slap the guy for nothing.. BIAS anyone ?

The way i see it.. her son shoved a Thai.. Thai shoved back.. lady slapped because her son got shoved.. and then it all started.

I don't excuse the violence and it should be punished.. but the tourists were the ones who started it.

I watched that video a few times, and my take is this:

The son inadvertently knocked into a Thai guy because he was practically unable to remain vertical being so drunk.
The Thai guy already annoyed by a previous guy, gave him a shove and because he was so drunk was easily toppled and fell over.
The Mother, reacted to seeing her son hit the ground and I believe misread what was actually just a drunken fall.
She went ballistic and humiliated the Thai guy by slapping his face first for something she "thought" he did.
Then it just all got out f control, and we all know the outcome.

I am not condoning it nor excusing it , but due to that initial misinterpretation, it got a whole lot serious very fast.
This is all to prevalent when people get drunk, their judgement is impaired and they make poor decisions. Late night, partying, Songkran over indulgence, wrong place and certainly wrong time. = Perfect storm !

I am genuinely horrified by the level of attack, there is NO excuse for it.
BUT the incident could so easily have been avoided, if people drank in moderation and didnt get into altercations whilst intoxicated as the result is predictably the same regardless of Nationality.

That's the way I see it to, if the Thais thugs didn't kick the shit out of them and we still saw the video people would be saying look at these stupid drunk tourist

push a Thai man (to me it looks like a push not bumping into him) then when he pushes him back just a bit harder, he gets a slap in the face from a old lady then a punch in the face as well

how bad is this drunk stupid family come here and embarrass the rest of us from the UK. That what we would be saying if the Thais just walked of with out a retaliation after a push a slap and a punch

That being said I still think the Thais are scum and should go to prison

and the family don't deserve flowers because they was behaving like drunken fools

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

At least a gang of Thai menfolk will not (as a general rule) rob you at knife, or gunpoint on the street. Even when you are sloopy, staggering pissed, Thais won't do that. Filipinos, Indonesians, Tamil Malaysians will not hesitate to act that way, whenever the opportunity presents itself.

We fell much safer on the streets Bangkok at night, than we ever have in KL, London, LA, Manila, or New York. For a people who resent foreigner, as much as Thais do, I thing they're a reasonable cool bunch of blokes, compared to most other places in world.

Got to go now chaps. Lady Bird is calling me, for afternoon fun and frolic, cheerstongue.png

I guessed you did not hear about the gang of Thai men who hacked a handicapped man to death on Lat Phrao road this week...because he spoke back to them when they made fun of him. Yeah..they are real princes all right.

I think some of us have already had it. If all this information floating around out there is true about new forms asking our most personal information and other immigration problems which have been well covered here well to me that is a kick in the head.

Enough will be enough when they switch from kicking us in the head to kicking us in our middle legs.That is when a dead man will wake up and bite off that finger that they are poking in his eye.

Hua Hin attack victims give statements to police, bars ordered to close at midnight

hhh.jpg

Image: Daily News

HUA HIN: -- Statements have been taken from the British family assaulted in Hua Hin over the Songkran holiday as pictures emerged of tourism officials presenting flowers to the family at their downtown hotel.

Lewis and Rosemary Owen, in their sixties, are due to fly back to their home in the UK on Tuesday. Their son Lewis John, 43, has already left the country and is believed to have returned to his work in Singapore, according to earlier reports.

The picture shows Orasa Awuthkhom of the provincial tourism authority of Prajual Khiri Khan presenting flowers to the family at the White Sand Hotel in Hua Hin following the assault.

It was reported that bars in the area have been ordered to close at midnight.

Admitting the adverse affect on tourism caused by the attack and the subsequent sharing of the CCTV footage of the incident, Orasa has met with various authorities to ensure the safety of tourists and look at the problem.

UPDATE: Thai media is reporting that Rosemary and Lewis Owen will give evidence in court at 1:30pm on Monday before they fly back to the UK on Tuesday.

Source: Daily News

tvn.png

-- 2016-05-02

I was in HongKong last week and Singapore over the weekend, this story has had huge coverage in the South China news and the Singapore straights times new papers.. and rightly so!!!

The government needs to tackle the root cause of this dreadful incident... perhaps they should send a few senior police officers to Singapore to see how they would have dealt with this!!

As long as you don't escalate stuff like they did the risks are not that high.

Tell that to Hannah on Koh Tao.

Tell that to the 'Lao gik'

Not only should the attackers get 10 years in jail, but all the bars in the street should be closed for a month to punish those who didn't help. Just my opinion, but there needs to be a clear message sent, assault foreigners (or allow them to be assaulted) and it will cost you money.

i live in Hua Hin.

"once again on the basis of uncorroborated 'special' inside information....." yeah like talking directly to the eyewitnesses.

all I am doing is reporting what i have been told.

I reported the attack here first. I posted it as warning for Farangs in Hua Hin as there was one more night of Songkran.

I was told the Thai men stated they were looking to attack Farangs. Warning people in Hua Hin was my sole motivation.

Now I have be told about the police harassment. I thought everyone should know.

Your anonymous source, the red and white shirt guy, did not witness the start of the altercation, so you are wrong to say he is a eye-witness.

You are obviously relatively new to Hua Hin if you think your anonymous source is reliable, the bar owner you are quoting is one of the biggest Thai bashers in Hua Hin and thankfully more and more people are starting to wise up to him.

And, yes more than likely he will have to leave Hua Hin, but he has brought all the troubles on himself.

Archived