Name the top country you wish you would have been born into citizenship in other than your own

OK Jingthing, what is the running score to date?

I guess you are running some sort of spreadsheet (e.g. Excel) to give you a one push of a button answer?

No. Even I have limits.

And don't even ask me to run this year's POTY award!

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't believe so many people choosing the frigid Nordic countries. In fact anywhere in Europe. Even Canada has crap winter. Clearly lot of people on TV love snow

Vancouver winter isn't bad.

Vancouver? That is part of China. Just full of Chinese

Funny, when I went there I pass through Canadian immigration.

Even funnier is that I went through US immigration there.

Even funnier is that I went through US immigration there.

Yeah, I know there is very close cooperation now with air entries. Yes, Vancouver is a very CHINESE city. It's where many of the rich Hong Kong people fled to.

Switzerland

I see my chosen country is garnering the most votes thus far... But nobody has mentioned the cheese.
Because Holland has the similar but better varieties.

Nobody on this thread wishes they were born there yet wonder why?

Yeah, I know there is very close cooperation now with air entries. Yes, Vancouver is a very CHINESE city. It's where many of the rich Hong Kong people fled to.

CHINESE

Please just not say this to HK people.

They say they hongkones(hongkongnes)

;)

Edited by ardokano

America is not a country.. Their is north and South America. US and Canada are in North America, Mexico, Panama, Brazil etc is South America.

*looks at the world map*

Damn, those poor Mexicans, there must have been a massive shift in tectonic plates... and nobody caree to inform the rest of the world?!

Edited by Donutz

Switzerland

I see my chosen country is garnering the most votes thus far... But nobody has mentioned the cheese.
Because Holland has the similar but better varieties.

Nobody on this thread wishes they were born there yet wonder why?

Because Holland is not a country. Holland is just two out of twelve provinces. Well historicly it was a single province but it was too dominant, so they split it up (and a tiny bit went to Utrecht?).

Oh, there was one person a few pages back who mentioned the Netherlands. But it seems most people enjoy living high up in the mountains rather then at around or below sealevel.

It's a rather small country though, easy to forget about. Perhaps we could ask the British or Germans if they'd be interested in annexing it. I wouldn't resist. :P

CHINESE

wink.png

Perhaps, but in the context of this thread I think you're splitting hand pulled noodles.

No need for pedantry all understand Holland/the Netherlands. 12 provinces share same culture and cheeses. As far as cow's milk goes you can't beat a good Gouda and the goddamn Swissies know it!

Edited by arunsakda

CHINESE

wink.png

Perhaps, but in the context of this thread I think you're splitting hand pulled noodles.
Ok

Then

Sorry.

Its be may be not good jokking?

No need for pedantry all understand Holland/the Netherlands. 12 provinces share same culture and cheeses. As far as cow's milk goes you can't beat a good Gouda and the goddamn Swissies know it!

It wasn't meant as a pendantic post but as a bit of humour, seeing that there was a single person who voted for NL (or Holland if you like). :)

While we are talking about cheese, I do prefer Dutch cheese. I get mine from the farms around here, I just have to hop on my bicycle and travel for 20 minutes. Nothing beats various cheeses straight from the farm and getting to enjoy the country side is a nice bonus. Hmm... thinking of it, the lack of any elevation is a bigger bonus, I wouldn't want to cycle up the mountain to a Swiss farm!! 555

I don't believe in a common national or provincial culture though. There is no such thing as "the" Dutch/Thai/English/... person/culture/habbit or whatever. Tags are only good to over simplify matters. Services it's purpose during some chit chat but not suited for more serious discussions. Might be jolly good fun to tell a person from Limburg that he shares the same culture as those in Holland, or telling to a person from Amsterdam that they are the same as Rotterdam. If you are prepared to make a run for it! :P

I do wonder why Switserland is so popular? The (less secret) bankaccounts can't be it. They have got plenty of mountains to go for a sky or a hike in neightbouring Austria. Swiss has signed up for most of the EU/EEA agreements, directives etc. though opting out on actually having any democratic input via Brussels (I'd call them crazy, but they are happy with it while I find the current system in Brussels err... let's say inperfect, but it still beats complete lack of democratic input). Their cheese isn't the best either. There chocolate is good though. Pretty much leaves their watches and clocks. :P

Oh and they do speak German with a silly accent that always brings a smile or even a surpressed laughter to my face. It's good to smile, enjoy yourself and look at things from a positive point of view. Life is short enough and with too much missery as it is, so best to give things a positive twist whenever you can. :)

Yeah right same culture ,

got one word for you.

Limburg

Edited by brianinbangkok

Limburger? Legendary but honestly I can say I have never encountered it. Stinky French stuff but...

Limburg is the southernmost of the 12 provinces of the Netherlands. It is in the southeastern part of the country, they even speak another language, nothing like the other provinces. ;) Edited by brianinbangkok

Italy I like the food, language and the ladies.

For me , France for the food , wine , language and the lovely ladies , not as lovely as Thai ladies but by now I would still at 69 yo be sitting in a village square with a bottle of red and eating crepes.

Limburger? Legendary but honestly I can say I have never encountered it. Stinky French stuff but...

Limburg is the southernmost of the 12 provinces of the Netherlands. It is in the southeastern part of the country, they even speak another language, nothing like the other provinces. ;)

I made an ignorant comment about Holland. "Limburger" I only thought about Germany.

I wish the rest of the worlds cultural differences could be addressed as calmly as is Benelux linguistic polarization and official recognition of obscure regional dialect.