Air conditioning annual cleaning - is it necessary?

On 5/4/2016 at 11:49 AM, hugh2121 said:

Right, 1900 baht.

A while ago the a/c in my Nissan didn't seem to be cooling the car so well. Went to Nissan who quoted 1200 baht to check gas pressure and top up. I then went to a small a/c service shop I'd noticed before. They checked the gas pressure and confirmed it was low, topped up to correct pressure. 400 baht. No further problems and car gets nice and cool quickly.

Do you know that no aircon system should need to refill gaz ? because if you refill it means that it leaks ! And not fixing leak means that you will need to refill again. I must be a rocket scientist !

• Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 12:09 PM, transam said:

Just do NOT leave A/C on recirculating air and you probably will not have any problems...

in modern cars the "stop recirculating" switch switches off automatically after 10 mns, I guess that it's for some reasons ?

Just do NOT leave A/C on recirculating air and you probably will not have any problems...

Not correct. If you have it on recirculating you reduce the dust and dirt coming into the vehicle.

The pictures above were at around 20,000km and I had periodically turned off recirculating.

Having now done about 60,000km more with recirculation permanently on the interior radiator has not needed cleaning.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yet in one of the original posts in the thread @Pib said

The fact is as long as you primarily have your A/C set to recirculate air vs pulling all the air in from the outside "and you keep the A/C filter clean/replaced periodically)"

I also thought that with the propensity for critturs to get into almost anywhere keeping the vent effectively closed was a better idea?

Must admit I don't remember moving mine from recirculate for many years. Happy to be corrected?

Had not seen sww's post before posting. 

Edited by topt

On 6/26/2019 at 2:03 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

Not correct. If you have it on recirculating you reduce the dust and dirt coming into the vehicle.

The pictures above were at around 20,000km and I had periodically turned off recirculating.

Having now done about 60,000km more with recirculation permanently on the interior radiator has not needed cleaning.

Yes, I guess that it's for reasons that IT IS NOT POSSIBLE to stop recirculating permanently in modern German cars.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2019 at 2:03 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

So you have never heard of mold in A/C due to no fresh air intake then...?

1 hour ago, transam said:

So you have never heard of mold in A/C due to no fresh air intake then...?

No, nobody has. (Apart from the antivax, flat earth, anti science cultists)

Mould growth is due to sufficient moisture, substrate to grow on wam conditions and mould spores.

Mould growth is deterred  by reducing moisture to a level that is low enough, eliminating/ reduceing the dirt and dust on the cooling radiator and having a cool environment (AC on recirculate).

Your "fresh air" is humid and warm/hot (we are in Thailand) and dusty. So even with a filter (they are never perfect) you are introducing 3 of the 4 factors needed to promote mould, the spores are probably in greater numbers in the "fresh air" as well. 

So after a reasonable length drive my car has cool dry air in it. After being parked for a time it has hotter but very much less humid air than the ambient surrounding air, Physics 101. 

Edited by sometimewoodworker

8 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

No, nobody has. (Apart from the antivax, flat earth, anti science cultists)

Mould growth is due to sufficient moisture, substrate to grow on wam conditions and mould spores.

Mould growth is deterred  by reducing moisture to a level that is low enough, eliminating/ reduceing the dirt and dust on the cooling radiator and having a cool environment (AC on recirculate).

Your "fresh air" is humid and warm/hot (we are in Thailand) and dusty. So even with a filter (they are never perfect) you are introducing 3 of the 4 factors needed to promote mould, the spores are probably in greater numbers in the "fresh air" as well. 

So after a reasonable length drive my car has cool dry air in it. After being parked for a time it has hotter but very much less humid air than the ambient surrounding air, Physics 101. 

Are you saying cars do not get smelly interiors due to mold because your system doesn't...?

Are you saying mold builup in the ducts behind the air shut off flaps is cleared by turning outside air intake "On" now and again...?...Hmmmm, strange A/C repair guys have cans of spray to try and remove/kill smell it to avoid strip down...

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, transam said:

Are you saying cars do not get smelly interiors due to mold because your system doesn't...?

No, I'm saying that my cars do not get get mould growing in them.

2 hours ago, transam said:

Are you saying mold builup in the ducts behind the air shut off flaps is cleared by turning outside air intake "On" now and again..

No, I do not turn on outside air intakes. Also mould growth in ducts would only be increased by outside air intake.

My cars have not had mould buildup in the ducts, probably because I don't use outside air.

do please try to read and understand what has been written before making ridiculous comments, yours comments suggest a diametrically opposed opinion to the one I expressed.

28 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

No, I'm saying that my cars do not get get mould growing in them.

No, I do not turn on outside air intakes. Also mould growth in ducts would only be increased by outside air intake.

My cars have not had mould buildup in the ducts, probably because I don't use outside air.

do please try to read and understand what has been written before making ridiculous comments, yours comments suggest a diametrically opposed opinion to the one I expressed.

Oh wow, big words...I am impressed.....

So what happens to the moisture (sweat) given off by you and passengers as you constantly recirculate the same air..?

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, transam said:

Oh wow, big words...I am impressed.....

So what happens to the moisture (sweat) given off by you and passengers as you constantly recirculate the same air..?

Congratulations I am just using English.

As you should know the moisture is extracted bu the AC and drains out through the AC drain tube on to the ground/road.

Do you really not understand how ACs function? That would certainly seem to be the case from your posts.

14 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Congratulations I am just using English.

As you should know the moisture is extracted bu the AC and drains out through the AC drain tube on to the ground/road.

Do you really not understand how ACs function? That would certainly seem to be the case from your posts.

And I suppose your ride doesn't get a CO2 build up either cos it's a posh ride.......????

• Confused 1

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 1:11 AM, Happy Grumpy said:

Be Thai, don't do any service whatsoever for 10 years then sell it for half the price you bought it.

I rarely drive my car, once a week perhaps, I barely replace the gas in in it annually.

How much do you want for it?

• Haha 1