Air conditioning annual cleaning - is it necessary?

I have a 2011 Toyota Vios, and every time I visit a Toyota dealership, they're always pushing the AC cleaning service they offer, for around 1900 Baht. According to them, it's recommended to have this done every year.

I guess the service is supposed to clean out the "radiator" which is dedicated to the AC system, which theoretically removes dust, dirt, insects, or anything else which might impede air flow or heat transfer. I've had cars in the U.S. with AC in the past, and as far as I can remember, the dealers (or the owner's manual) never mentioned anything about this. However, it's possible that I just ignored this aspect of auto maintenance in the past.

Anyone know whether this is actually adding value or not? It makes some sense, but it's also very possible that Toyota is just pushing an unnecessary service.

• Haha 1

I have a 2007 Toyota Yaris, Being here in Pattaya, Darkside I feel it really depends on how much you drive and where since so many of the roads seem to be full of dust and sand. Plus driving here with the A/C on is a 24/7 item.

Although, I service the vehicle exclusively at Toyota never had them say it needed service. Like many of you have had vehicles at home never had to do much to them accept inject some free-on as they call it.

Two years ago I noticed not very cold, I took it to a local shop, the guy hook up some equipment and tested the system and told me honestly that he could inject the gas but it is not going to do much since the system was so dirty it needs to be cleaned out. I didn't have 4 hours so I told him I will come back when I had time. As a favor he injected some free-on just to tie me over but again noted it would do very little he was right. After a month I went back and found out he had since closed shop. I went to another down the road and checked out a few others shop for place etc.. at one shop they had a Vios (which is basically a Yaris) I was shocked as to what they had to do to get to the filter and small radiator A/C unit. To have it cleaned they had to remove the entire Dash since it was located there. I saw wires,nuts and screws everywhere feeling no way anyone can put this thing back and not have something shaking or not working again in the dash. I saw the unit and it was nasty dirty so you do need it clean if not at home country.

I went to Toyota to get my regular service and ask how much to clean and recharge? cost 1800 baht, I ask whether you have to take the entire dash apart to clean and recharge. The dealer service has a machine like a vacuum that cleans and sucks everything out which making a choice was a no brainer to me. I do not think it needs to be clean every year I went 6-7 before it got cold. Every year might be a overkill, every 2-3 is good but how much you drive is the key?

Great feedback on this, folks. I wasn't even aware there was an AC filter inside the passenger cabin. I don't drive that much, and Toyota talked me into this as recently as 2014, so I think I'll give it a pass this time. All good information, thanks!

• Haha 1

We had our CRV since new 2010 now just coming up to 100,000km I have never be offered an A/C cleaning until about 3 weeks ago. We had water dripping in to the front passenger side. We went to dealer showed problem, first thing he said when was the last A/C clean. Doh never. Any way they cleaned it stopped the leak and air is colder now.
We need to stop thinking in western terms regards life expectancy of certain vehicle parts..DELETED

Edited by seedy
off topic
  • Like 1

I had mine washed after 2 years. And it was mainly because it was not as cold as before..

Plus, I often drove to dusty areas.. so it was clogged with dust as well..

Had it done and was well worth it.. I don't think there's an actual time limit as to when you should have it cleaned.. Just have your AC checked when it seems to not be able to cool your car efficiently anymore.

• Like 1

Common sense applies, our bedroom a/c we regularly have serviced at six monthly intervals, the car well around every 18 mths to two years, but also depends where you drive

Oil I do every 12,000 kms, only problem last time I went to my local garage they drained automatic transmission fluid not the engine oil, what a nightmare, but then this is thailand

• Like 1

Great feedback on this, folks. I wasn't even aware there was an AC filter inside the passenger cabin. I don't drive that much, and Toyota talked me into this as recently as 2014, so I think I'll give it a pass this time. All good information, thanks!

I agree. thanks!clap2.gif

Right, 1900 baht.

A while ago the a/c in my Nissan didn't seem to be cooling the car so well. Went to Nissan who quoted 1200 baht to check gas pressure and top up. I then went to a small a/c service shop I'd noticed before. They checked the gas pressure and confirmed it was low, topped up to correct pressure. 400 baht. No further problems and car gets nice and cool quickly.

• Haha 1

Yes, it's needed.

Its not just about removing bugs.

It doesn't add value. It helps "maintain" the working life of some parts and the system and a whole, and in the long run, if done properly, reduce the overall cost.

• Haha 1

All they do is replace the filter, DIY job

No, they inject A/C foam cleaner between the A/C blower fan and the A/C evaporator. The right way to do it is to inject it "between" the blower and evaporator by drilling a small hole between the fan and evaporator to inject the foam.

Some shops will be super lazy/do a bad job by just removing the filter which is quickly accessed/removed and then spraying foam/cleaner into the blower fan...my understanding is this is a bad way to do it...yes, your A/C smells fresh afterwards but results in poor cleaning of the evaporator.

It can still be a DIY job...it's not hard.

See below videos which describes the general process when using a spray foam cleaner.

This is a combo scare you and show you how it's done video.

• Like 1

The reasons for having the automobile air con checked are as follows;

- leaks

- other damage

- top up the air con gas

All the other stuff can be done at home, such as cleaning the radiator/exchanger. Many quality air con units will also have filters for cleaning the air as it passes through. And some of these air con units are also integrated into the car air vent system. You should definitely have these filters cleaned every year or even more often as it quickly fills with all sorts of dust, pollen and bacteria, especially if you or a family member is an asthmatic. If you are handy with tools and you know your car air system, you can do it yourself. Otherwise (or if, like me, you have better things to do!) you let the air con guys do that too.

The VIOS has a provision to install a filter for the AC, but no actual filter. If you've been driving it for 5 years without a filter, it probably does need a good clean. After that's done, get them to fit a filter and have it replaced again every service - then you won't need to get the AC heat exchanger cleaned again ;)

I get mine clean on average every 3 years, that seems to be the point where it gets dirty and would start to not get cold. It really depends on how much you drive your car as well.

And where. We got a new Nissan pickup and after about 2 years the aircon was virtually ineffective, I was feeling it the most. I finally persuaded my wife to have it looked at, she wanted to wait till the service, and the guy said it just needed cleaning. We sat and waited while he did it, took about an hour and a half, afterwards it was like sitting in a fridge.

We have to drive on dirt tracks to get to the property so it is now done when the vehicle is serviced.

• Like 1

I get mine clean on average every 3 years, that seems to be the point where it gets dirty and would start to not get cold. It really depends on how much you drive your car as well.

And where. We got a new Nissan pickup and after about 2 years the aircon was virtually ineffective, I was feeling it the most. I finally persuaded my wife to have it looked at, she wanted to wait till the service, and the guy said it just needed cleaning. We sat and waited while he did it, took about an hour and a half, afterwards it was like sitting in a fridge.

We have to drive on dirt tracks to get to the property so it is now done when the vehicle is serviced.

I just get it done at the dealer, it was around 2000 baht but they run promotions all the time which ends up costing less

My ride is near 9 years old, never been gassed up, every month l pull the filter out and run the vacuum over it, I have replaced it once. Now and again I blast the condenser with my pressure washer.

Leaks, well as the system works on pressure if you have the minutest leak it will release that pressure in no time and not work.

If the A/C produces cold air virtually from start up you ain't got a problem..

• Like 2

My ride is 7 years old and never been gassed up....A/C cools like new....I also clean the filter every few months and spray down the condenser fins in front of the radiator occassionally. Toyota likes to charge you around Bt300-400 for a new filer. If a person needs to top-up their refrigerant frequently they have a leak or the A/C tech is just scamming them. Heck, refrigerators go for decades without needing any top-up. And my 7 home A/Cs that are around 8 years old still coosl great and have never been topped up....I just keep them clean...a DIYer job.

But regarding cleaning of your vehicle's evaporator occasionally with one of those DIY cans of foams or letting the dealer do it for around Bt2K that sounds like a good approach....but needing it every year--no way, Jose.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 2