Thailand bans 'rude' opinions ahead of crucial referendum

webfact

Thailand bans 'rude' opinions ahead of crucial referendum
BY AMY SAWITTA LEFEVRE AND ANDREW R.C. MARSHALL

BANGKOK: -- From the question of Britain's place in Europe to the choice of New Zealand's flag, referendums worldwide are usually preceded by unbridled debate. Not so under Thailand's junta.

Many Thais are chafing under strict new regulations governing discussion ahead of an Aug. 7 referendum on a military-backed constitution.

The junta that seized power in a May 2014 coup has already threatened to jail anyone campaigning for or against the constitution, which critics say entrenches the military's political influence.

Full story: http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-thailand-politics-idUKKCN0XU0PA

reuterslogo.jpg
-- Reuters 2016-05-04

I'm not taking a for or against position here (so as to stay legal) but this all looks very much like game, set and match to the generals, really. If people vote 'yes' the generals formalise their grip on power, if people vote 'no' then the generals stay in power while they write another constitution. What's the point of this referendum, and why is it being described as 'crucial', when it's really just a façade, going through the motions, as it were?

Perhaps we should coin a phrase 'as busy as a Thai constitution writer'?

Edited by dbrenn

Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.”

Winston Churchill

It serves no purpose to be rude , however it serves a purpose to be allowed a vigorous debate , where you have a Chinese styled open and shut referendum, the people obviously are going to start feeling disfranchised and a distinct dislike to the persons responsible, so far the Junta hasn't stemmed the rot of a divided nation, so implementing draconian levels of totalitarian Government won't endear them to most of the population , under the present climate a silent population is one to be afraid and careful of............................coffee1.gif .

jail anyone campaigning for or against the constitution,

This is the best way I can think of to ask for future trouble in this country...

Best to just put the entire population in jail...can't see the Thais being quiet about something that is so important to them and their children...

They will do anything to keep a grip on power it is to addictive to let go.

Are you speaking of the Republican Party establishment in the US?

Rude comments are flying aplenty there, but watch what they do, not what they say.

I'm not taking a for or against position here (so as to stay legal) but this all looks very much like game, set and match to the generals, really. If people vote 'yes' the generals formalise their grip on power, if people vote 'no' then the generals stay in power while they write another constitution. What's the point of this referendum, and why is it being described as 'crucial', when it's really just a façade, going through the motions, as it were?

The full story does say that the military have promised an election by mid 2017 even if the constitution is rejected. What it doesn't say is how this will all work which is the worrying part.

<Post removed - discussion of moderation is against Forum Rules>

I don't want to go off topic and it's possible the mod have already contacted you but in case they haven't you may need to enable notifications from moderators in your settings. Mine got changed somehow and I had to change it back. If you contact the mod who removed your post they may be able to explain.

I got a ban a couple of weeks ago. It was a misunderstanding and based on them having to be very careful in the current climate but I've found them to be helpful on the odd occasion I've contacted them.

They are human or at least a very impressive automated reply system. ?

They will do anything to keep a grip on power it is to addictive to let go.

Are you speaking of the Republican Party establishment in the US?

Rude comments are flying aplenty there, but watch what they do, not what they say.

Nice attempt at diversion. To be more effective you should have brought Thaksin into it, rather than the USA.

^^

This is the best way I can think of to ask for future trouble in this country...

Best to just put the entire population in jail...can't see the Thais being quiet about something that is so important to them and their children...

Your post reminds me of what the Soviet dissidents used to say: 'There are three types of people in our country. Those who are in prison, those who were in prison and those who will be in prison'...

One possible solution is a mass boycott of the referendum. But that would only work if everyone didn't vote, and even if they did "not" vote, I'm sure the result will still be 99.99% support for the Junta, much like the polls they make up.

Consider this; If Prayuth is not actually the top dog but is being run by a higher authority, then a resounding NO might well start that individual or group thinking it is time for a new puppet. So it could be quite crucial for Prayuth and his immediate circle that the vote is at least close. A personal vested interest could explain quite a bit of the posturing and shouting - especially as a peacefully retired Prayuth might not be the preferred option given his knowledge of the inner workings of the coup.

Is it rude to ask what was wrong with the other 19 constitutions?

What was wrong with it?

It didnt allow the elite to do whatever they wanted.

You mean like in the EU, or the US.

Many things are or should not be allowed there, but even so, they go on.

In both entities democracy is a farce, reduced to a 4-yearly voting circus, after which the politicos do what they want, disregard your wishes and rights, and leave the running of the countries to big business.

Any difference?

Besides, where did you read, see or hear the contents of the new constitution?

its a practice run, if they can convince Thais and the world that there is some point to this then they can probably pull off a one party election and convince the world it was democratic

this all looks very much like game, set and match to the generals, really. If people vote 'yes' the generals formalise their grip on power, if people vote 'no' then the generals stay in power while they write another constitution.

I think if it gets rejected and they have to re-write it again it will result in more protests from disparate groups. It will also have a huge effect on the international community. I really think the junta don't want to have to do a re-write. They need a nice, clean stitch-up on this vote now, thus the tender care they are giving it by silencing any debate.

Edited by Squeegee

Is it rude to ask what was wrong with the other 19 constitutions?

What was wrong with it?

It didnt allow the elite to do whatever they wanted.

You mean like in the EU, or the US.

Many things are or should not be allowed there, but even so, they go on.

In both entities democracy is a farce, reduced to a 4-yearly voting circus, after which the politicos do what they want, disregard your wishes and rights, and leave the running of the countries to big business.

Any difference?

Besides, where did you read, see or hear the contents of the new constitution?

Please read better, I didnt mention the EU, or US, nor did I say it was better there (although i do think it is many times better there).

I also didnt make a reference to the contents of the new constitution either.

In short your comment does not apply to any of what you were quoting.

What is the definition of a rude opinion here? One that doesn't tow the line? One that makes someone look wrong when they are indeed wrong? One that includes fart noises?

I remember years ago dating a local girl here. She'd spend the whole day in the temple on a Sunday studying. I was new to Thailand so assumed she was really into Buddhism and learning. She had very few morals. She'd often borrow from 'friends' and not pay them back without flinching. I remember sarcastically saying, "do they teach you that at the temple?" to which she replied, "stop your rude mouth!"

The definition of rude I guess is cultural. Rude is to question people's morals regardless of evidence.

They are looking at shoring up their own power. They are eliminating all difference of opinion. They are removing all people and OTHER nations who disagree.

Thailand HAS recovered yes as many people have experienced here, from these things before, BUT this time I think things are vastly different.

People have enjoyed a long period or relative freedom and wealth and to remove that now, and with all the competition pen around them in other nations which was NOT there before, They now have bigger issues

Recovery is bleak at best and people are getting silently angry. Many hold guns and there are circumstances in BKK that will be beyond any control such as DEATH which is imminent.

that will be a catalyst for an explosive population.

I just hope I am wrong

The hard part was to pretend they were really trying to do good to keep the masses at bay, getting even expats to praise their actions. Now the trap is sprung. Pass the bill and the military stays. Reject the bill the military stays. Critize the bill and go to prison so there are less people to rule over. Protest...well you get the point but for those who dont just think of the game Monopoly.