Retirement extension in Korat (corruption)

Yesterday I renewed my retirement extension at Korat ( All officers that I dealt with called it a retirement VISA) maybe that is where the confusion comes in.

I had all papers in order, then the officer dropped a bomb shell. Where is the owner of the house is He/She with you?

No they were at the house where I stay.

She tells me I must bring them to the office or I wont get my extension.

I contacted the owners daughter as she speaks English, I had to pick up both of them & take them into the office.

Then we had to wait until after the lunch break, I finally got to the officer with my papers AGAIN. I gave her the 1,900B

for the extension, she counted it and said " NO coffee money for me"? To which I replied with a very strong NO. She then called the 2 ladies over and spoke with them at length and told that they will have to come to the office every time

I do the extension BUT this can be avoided if I give her 1,000B (No receipt).

So corruption is alive & well at the Korat Immigration office.

Now if anyone doubts me I have 2 witness, I will be going to visit meatboy in a couple of days and the daughter will be coming with me so she can exchange notes with Mrs meatboy.

Edited by Jessi
  • Like 1

Thanks for that not that I want to hear you had a problem but the interest and info factor.

Bloody sickening isn't it ?

Not long back I was having a beer in my local, I know I'm a bad boy slap wrist, and one of the lads was telling me about his wife who works in some govt office and happily takes money to speed things up etc. He asked her not to do it but she's mai pen rai absolutely convinced it will never backfire because everyone in the office is involved. Trying psychology he suggested if she's caught he'll be deported as no one will believe he wasn't cashing in but it made no difference as the wife thinks she's bomb proof.

Sad reflection on the country and mentality.

Edited by NongKhaiKid
  • Like 1

Land Office in Khorat always asking for money. As it was a 5 year wait for the Chanote we just paid. It's a question of how much is your time worth to you. I have dealings in 3 provinces and Khorat is definitely the most bent.

• Like 1

Where is the owner of the house is He/She with you?

What proof of residence did you have in the papers?

You might have read about the TM30 requirement?

she counted it and said " NO coffee money for me"?

She said it with the same serious/strong voice as your NO?

When I hand over 2000 Baht and they smilingly put it in the desk I don't insist on the 100 Baht change.

Who am I to fight corruption in Thailand about a 100 Baht and make my name known for the next visit?

Last year though (in Khon Kaen) I was immediately handed the 100 Baht return, I was amazed tongue.png

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

When you say you extended your retirement visa did you mean you done your 90 day reporting? I only ask because when I do my 90day reporting on my retirement visa I just turn up with my passport and they take the paperwork out of it and staple a new one in.no cash changes hands,no proof of address,no bank book and in and out of the office in less than 4 minutes last time.

She then called the 2 ladies over and spoke with them at length and told that they will have to come to the office every time

This indeed sounds like extortion.

Edited by KhunBENQ

She then called the 2 ladies over and spoke with them at length and told that they will have to come to the office every time

So not only did you screw up your life but theirs as well. Nice going.

I guess this is like "broken windows".

So what I think 1,000 b she probably has 3 kids and Thai man not good.

I know it is the principle, but there are many worse examples of corruption/extortion to worry about.

For me, I would have probably given her the 1000 b and not hassled with the followup.

• Like 1

When I hand over 2000 Baht and they smilingly put it in the desk I don't insist on the 100 Baht change.

Who am I to fight corruption in Thailand about a 100 Baht and make my name known for the next visit?

Last year though (in Khon Kaen) I was immediately handed the 100 Baht return, I was amazed tongue.png

I would not mind paying 2500 or 3000 bahts here in Chiang Mai if they would just streamline the service instead of pushing us into the arms of visa agents.

Land Office in Khorat always asking for money. As it was a 5 year wait for the Chanote we just paid. It's a question of how much is your time worth to you. I have dealings in 3 provinces and Khorat is definitely the most bent.

I have friends that just had dealings with the land office in Korat and they had to pay 500B just to see

the man in charge.

Like I said in my opening post, all papers were in order.

The problem was with the Immigration officer not with my application.

When you say you extended your retirement visa did you mean you done your 90 day reporting? I only ask because when I do my 90day reporting on my retirement visa I just turn up with my passport and they take the paperwork out of it and staple a new one in.no cash changes hands,no proof of address,no bank book and in and out of the office in less than 4 minutes last time.

This was with a renewal of Retirement extension. I have not had a problem with the 90 day report.

There are many words one can use and yes extortion is one of them.

I guess this is like "broken windows".

So what I think 1,000 b she probably has 3 kids and Thai man not good.

I know it is the principle, but there are many worse examples of corruption/extortion to worry about.

For me, I would have probably given her the 1000 b and not hassled with the followup.

Why feed the corruption machine?

Isn't there now a number one can call, or a website to report any corruption? I seem to remember it was initiated by the new military government a couple of years ago.

Your wasting your time. They may ask you for money to investigate your complaint. So much for our PM big talk of cutting back on corruption. If anything the opposite has take effect.

On the contrary ! 1111 is the number and "they" will NOT ask for money.

But will they do anything about your complaint....I doubt it, Thai's for Thai's.

But will they do anything about your complaint....I doubt it, Thai's for Thai's.

Today, that is increasingly true. Believe it or not, 25 years ago, foreigners' complaints (at least from those who looked distinguished) were treated quite seriously here.

Today, that is increasingly true. Believe it or not, 25 years ago, foreigners' complaints (at least from those who looked distinguished) were treated quite seriously here.

They still are.

Immigration will come to your house for an interview and you must sign the report they will make, which goes to immigration HQ. An officer will be in trouble if they can't sort it out.