• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3rd road and Pattaya Tai.

Vegetarian place.

Definitely plenty of healthy options.

Also the food is delicious and not expensive either:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d3628657-Reviews-Five_Star_J-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

Assume you are referring to Five Star J. Beg to differ. Since the new management took over a couple years ago, prices have doubled and the new farang owner is a first class A-Hole. Literally dined there hundreds of times before the new owners...almost daily... but only took a few times of the new blowhard and his overpriced tiny portions coupled with his egotistical "baditude", to stop going and vow never to return again. Know many other regulars who dined there almost daily and for myriad reasons do not go much anymore, if at all.

Five Star got a menu online on their website. I agree this place is excellent, especially since the Austrian guy took over and redid the place. They have delivery and advance order as well... again, everything is on the website. The user Skeptic7 is certainly telling lies. Before the takeover, ALL main dishes were between 80 and 100 Baht (I can google you an old menu if you want). Afterwards, prices have increased to 88-110 Baht... hardly doubled! I witnessed the farang owner shouting at some electrician on one occasion so I agree he should keep in the background and not scare customers away. The lady in there (is it the owner's wife?) is just lovely. She is quite nice to talk to and only does the veg thing for health reasons ...doesn't even eat garlic (and onion?). This places is rated #2 on Tripadvisor by the way.

It seems that this topic drifted off to naming vegetarian places. Despite being a veggie myself, don't think veg food is necessarily more healthy. Cheesy fries are probably not healthier than a plate of chicken filet for example.

But back to topic: I just been to Dosa Hut opposite Royal Garden Plaza. It's a pure veg restaurant. Their thali is huge and apart from one item which was a bit bland the food was excellent. Price at 214 Baht was okay, too. A bonus is that this place already opens at 8.30am when all other Indian places seem to open at 11am so it's good for some dosa for breakfast.

Next I am going to try that Govinda's place (also pure veg) at the corner of 2nd road and Klang. According to Tripadvisor it should be okay as well.

Has anyone tried that other Indian pure veg place opposite Central Festival on the right hand side of Naan 'n' Curry (not the one in VT6)?

Edited by wump

OP, have you considered making some food at home ? I mean simple things, like whole wheat bread, for

example, cream cheese, ham, etc, make a healthy sandwich at home. Substitute ham for smoked salmon ...

Most grocery stores carry pre-packaged salad bags, just add your own dressing. Again, you can buy what

you like or even make the dressing at home. It's really not so hard, and you can save a fortune as well !

Now, I make 90% of all meals for my family (4 of us total) at home ...

luudee

Five Star J vegetarian and vegan restaurant. South Pattaya road corner 3rd road.

Open from 11:00 to 23:00.

Over 170 dishes, Thai, Asian and Weatern food. Guaranteed no chemicals like MSG, transfats or artificial colouring. No white sugar, natural brown one instead. No Palm oil, pure coconut oil makes the food very healthy.

To the skeptic7. You still can't stand that we didn't take money for your dishes. The reason was the ongoing complaining about the food, the size and the price. As customer of the old owners you felt, you have to do that. Although the other customers were upset about you, you didn't stop.

Under the old ownership you were eating food full of MSG, a lot of white sugar, and everything swimming in cheapest palm oil, but maybe you like to eat things like that.

It's right, we lost some customers like you - but we've got a lot of customers who like to eat healthy and high quality ingredients.

You probably wouldn't consider this a actual "health" restaurant but they do have great healthy food. Tamar Bakery and Restaurant, located on Third Road, on the right, not far from Five Star J.

Five Star J vegetarian and vegan restaurant. South Pattaya road corner 3rd road.

Open from 11:00 to 23:00.

Over 170 dishes, Thai, Asian and Weatern food. Guaranteed no chemicals like MSG, transfats or artificial colouring. No white sugar, natural brown one instead. No Palm oil, pure coconut oil makes the food very healthy.

In the interest of healthy discussion about what's actually good and bad:

MSG isn't bad: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/monosodium-glutamate/faq-20058196

Brown sugar is just white sugar dipped in molasses: http://www.thekitchn.com/where-does-the-brown-in-brown-sugar-come-from-ingredient-intelligence-215952

Trans fat is indeed bad, no argument there.

Palm oil is probably worse than coconut oil although both have mild to moderate benefits (in moderation, these are fats): http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-1139-palm%20oil.aspx?activeingredientid=1139&activeingredientname=palm%20oil

This post may sound critical. It wasn't meant that way. I'll be checking your restaurant out, any place that even tries to be health mind in a sea of taste-obsessed restaurants is great in my book.

Edited by Hal65

Yes it's good. Not a fan of Govinda.

Been to Govinda today at 11:30am and was told "Only breakfast". But there was only like 2 breakfast items so I tried the Stuffed Paratha. Two big pieces at 120 Baht, very delicious and very filling. Water at 15 Baht and no VAT or Service charge added.

They advertise their Thali at 150 Baht so I will go back to try this one or the Masala Dosa.

Jingthing, may I ask what you find wrong with the place? Sure your complaints are about the service/ambience and not the taste?

It tried it two times so I gave it a chance, but found their food was not to my taste. I will refrain from stating my specific reasonsWPFflags.gif . I prefer other places in town for veggie Indian food. There are so many choices here. I don't necessarily go for the cheapest. If you like it -- great.

To add, personally I place no value on Tripadvisor rankings, especially in Pattaya as I know so many restaurants here personally. Most of the reviews are from tourists who don't know much about the scene here. Yes, some high ranked places are indeed great, but only some.

Edited by Jingthing

I'm vegetarian since over 10 years and around the world it's difficult to find healthy restaurants. You mostly have to screw down your wishes otherwise you never can get fed.

Thai people seldom understand the word "healthy". If there is a "J" on the package they'll use it, even its poison. Oil has to be cheap, because they use a lot and sugar and chili is a good option to cover that the vegetable isn't really fresh any more. Did you ever think what happens with the buffet pots in the evening? They throw away? Not really, it's warmed up the next day again. And again...

I hate MSG because a neurotransmitter can cause brain damage and all the people who say it's not harmful should think who really pays the studies. Why would the food industry (which funds most of these sorts of research ventures) want to spend money proving the detrimental effects of one of its chief money makers?

After checking all eating possibilities here, I can recommend only one place: The Five Star J in the south Pattaya road. They seem to be the only ones who take care about the ingredients and they understand what they are doing. No cheap oils who put transfats in your body, no refined sugar and no overload with chilli, so you can taste the freshness of their vegetables.

I always wonder about the price discussion. To remember: 100 THB are less tha 3 $ or 2,50 . And you are discussing about 20 or 30 THB more or less? What the hell do you do with your body? When you are sick, you pay thousands of $ or . Why don't you prevent by eating good food instead of running for the cheapest food? I think that's the reason why Thai people call westerners "cheap Charlie's".

After one visit in an expats club I never went there again. 90% they were talking about, was: Where to get promotion or cheap and cheaper. Poor guys, when this is reality in their live.

I hate MSG because a neurotransmitter can cause brain damage and all the people who say it's not harmful should think who really pays the studies. Why would the food industry (which funds most of these sorts of research ventures) want to spend money proving the detrimental effects of one of its chief money makers?

IMO this is a weak argument against MSG. A few more references:

FDA: http://www.fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPackagingLabeling/FoodAdditivesIngredients/ucm328728.htm

ACS: http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/12465/20150202/msg-perfectly-safe-american-chemical-society-reminds.htm

"The toxic, poisonous, cancerous, energy sucking, headache inducing reputation of MSG is one of the biggest lingering food myth of all," the ACS recently reported in a video as part of their popular Reactions YouTube series.

Multiple studies: http://www.pri.org/stories/2014-10-03/science-suggests-msg-really-isnt-bad-your-health-after-all

Joint FAO/WHO Committee: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10736380

EUFIC: http://www.eufic.org/page/en/show/latest-science-news/fftid/msg-monosodium-glutamate/

The origin of the MSG scare:

Edited by Hal65

I don't want to go on with this senseless discussion. In the 60th we had similar about contergan in Germany, in the 70th about Duogynon. Please google and look at he poor people. Ok, at this time they didn't have so nice videos but the system worked already. Only some believed, it's poison the most trusted to the science, paid by the industry's.

Just look who did the video and ask yourself why they do and who pays and then go on eating MSG. All the best to your health.

Salad bar in downstairs super market in Central.

I stopped going there when (twice) I saw an old white guy with a cloth shoulder bag, leaning over to reach the back, and his bag going into the food in front. You know that bag has been on toilet floors and other places.

Salad bar in downstairs super market in Central.

I stopped going there when (twice) I saw an old white guy with a cloth shoulder bag, leaning over to reach the back, and his bag going into the food in front. You know that bag has been on toilet floors and other places.

I saw a chap with leprosy digging vegetables once, never eaten veg since.

Can't be too carful can you?

I agree on Sizzlers salad bar , it's a clean place and only 199 baht .

Where is that again?

I will be there on Wednesday.

Sizzlers is a chain , they have several locations in Pattaya. The most central ones are inside Central Festival and Royal Garden Plaza beach rd. .