‘I Watched Him as He Died,’ Witness to Disabled Man’s Murder Recalls

webfact

‘I Watched Him as He Died,’ Witness to Disabled Man’s Murder Recalls
By Teeranai Charuvastra
Staff Reporter

14624439081462444640l.jpg

BANGKOK — Ananchai Chaiyadech was working in his office Sunday morning. Outside, a group of young men who had been drinking for six hours passed a bread stall and taunted the disabled man working there.

“They were so drunk, you could see it in their eyes,” said the lawyer, estimating they drank from 2am until 8am. That man, Somkiat Srichan, took offense and shouted back. Ananchai felt both powerless and horrified by what happened next, as he watched the six men use knives and bricks to stab and beat Somkiat, who lacked the use of one leg and tried hopping away, to death in the street.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1462443908&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-05-06

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most disgusting statement here is that there isn't enough evidence yet to forward to prosecutors.

Witnesses, video evidence, murder weapons seized, a mutilated corpse, threats to next of kin.. Jesus how much more evidence could possibly needed i wonder.

Seems almost no crime is off limits to cover up, or at least attempt to

Most disgusting statement here is that there isn't enough evidence yet to forward to prosecutors.

Witnesses, video evidence, murder weapons seized, a mutilated corpse, threats to next of kin.. Jesus how much more evidence could possibly needed i wonder.

Yes, that is quite incredible.

So video of them slaughtering a man is not sufficient....

Didn't you watch the vdo? You can't see the faces of those men at all. It could have been anyone. Even the son of a policemen? At any rate, a couple of well placed threats against certain witnesses families will ensure a short term memory of this action. Misplaced evidence perhaps... The vdo is the only thing that can't be made to go away and it doesn't have enough detail to convict someone.

But hey the country has been told they will be treated the same as every one else,

So I guess if you pay enough and have connections then you walk, same as every one else?

Police need to understand that being drunk is not an excuse for criminal violence to another person.

Police need to enforce the law, not circumvent the law with their extra-judiciary judgments with how to charge a person for a crime.

Didn't you watch the vdo? You can't see the faces of those men at all. It could have been anyone. Even the son of a policemen? At any rate, a couple of well placed threats against certain witnesses families will ensure a short term memory of this action. Misplaced evidence perhaps... The vdo is the only thing that can't be made to go away and it doesn't have enough detail to convict someone.

And the BIB who attended the murder were all blindfolded as were all the people standing around with brains in neutral snapping selfies and generally enjoying the developing saga as it played out, so no creditable evidence is available - - is that what is being inferred.

Great parenting skills evident in this story: where was your 18 year old between 0200-0800? Oh, out drinking and attacking disabled people. Just the usual high jinx for teenagers. Parents do have to take some responsibility for their kids and it is certainly not the first time these creeps have been out and up to no good: first time offenders? BS, this will be part of a pattern of anti-social behaviour but this time it went way too far and they got caught. Get them off the streets for the next 20 years and the parents can visit them every Sunday.

This story so represents the dark underbelly of Thai society and the sense of entitlement/privilege assumed by these 'connected' types. Made all the worse by the fact that the victim was trying to made the best of his lot, working under difficulty to support his family.

If the authorities let this lot off lightly or try to weasel out of it in some backhanded way, they will lose what little credibility they have left. Enough is enough.

Police need to understand that being drunk is not an excuse for criminal violence to another person.

Police need to enforce the law, not circumvent the law with their extra-judiciary judgments with how to charge a person for a crime.

To understand the police have to be smart and fair which is surely

not the case in Thailand

Did it say that? My take was they are still collecting evidence. Hopefully justice will be done.

This is why the execution as punishment should really be enforced and should not be dropped, and all these bastards should just be executed once and for all, why should we as a normal citizen who pay tax be sponsoring all these bastard and keep them in jail just to release them out on the street a few years later?

Whatever the bloody activists say about the cruelty of the execution law, let's wait until one of their loved ones is being cold-bloodedly murdered then they will probably realize why the execution a punishment should not be dropped.

Edited by hstnasia

Thailand should do regarding alcohol the same as many Middle East countries do. There if you are a foreigner you can buy a license but locals can not buy one. As Thai's are obviously incapable of handling drink probably best to make sure they do not have access to it

As the suspects are sons of police officers, it will be difficult to get a prosecution.

Thailand should do regarding alcohol the same as many Middle East countries do. There if you are a foreigner you can buy a license but locals can not buy one. As Thai's are obviously incapable of handling drink probably best to make sure they do not have access to it

BS blanket statement.

This from the article - 'In fact, Ananchai said, hes the only witness to come forward, as other residents in the area are too scared of possible retaliation from the police'.

'Usually, people are already scared of one police officers son, and in this case, there are four, Ananchai said. People just want to go on with their lives normally'.

When people have come to see the police as the enemy who harrass law abiding citizens to prevent them doing their duty as witnesses the only solution is to dismantle the police force and start again.

Edited by BirdsandBooze

Two years on, and the Junta's main claim to legitimacy was supposedly overhauling the police. Obviously it was just a smokescreen; removing Thaksin's men (and murdering CSD officers) and just replacing them with lackeys.

The whole legal and "justice" system here is of course an absolute joke. But there seems to be a lot of ordinary Thais really up in arms about this latest case though, interesting now to see how this plays out.

Since the internet, I am pretty desensitized to stories about anything....

HOWEVER, this story did make me mad.

killing someone disabled is ...... well......we all know how bad....

Two years on, and the Junta's main claim to legitimacy was supposedly overhauling the police. Obviously it was just a smokescreen; removing Thaksin's men (and murdering CSD officers) and just replacing them with lackeys.

The whole legal and "justice" system here is of course an absolute joke. But there seems to be a lot of ordinary Thais really up in arms about this latest case though, interesting now to see how this plays out.

At some point, a group of concerned citizens are going to take out a police station.

I don't know where the tipping point is - but at some point the public will revolt. It only takes a few headstrong people to stir things up.

An off topic post and many replies about the US and Trump has been removed, please do not attempt to hijack the topic like this.

after all, these are the kids of the police who arrested them.

...and future policemen themselves.

sad.png

after all, these are the kids of the police who arrested them.

...and future policemen themselves.

sad.png

And the wheel goes round and round....

We should get some odds going here what the chances are that they will not do any time at all. A few days ago I was almost certain they would but when it came out that they were connected it fell about 50%. Today it's down to 3:2. Slowly slowly the media and authorities are preparing the public for a sneaky acquittal