Man who cut off dog paws charged by Thai police

webfact

Ok, so the guy who cut off the dog;'s paws should go to jail. I agree.But here is the problem. First of all, it wasn't the dog's fault for running around freely. It was the owner's fault so the facts are that if the owner who apparently had been asked and warned on numerous occasions not to let the dog run free had done her job the dog would be fine today. So who is "really" at fault here? The owner.

A few years ago some farong guy used to walk his dog thru a neighborhood and it got attacked by a cop's dog and badly injured. I recall the guy taking a knife with him and the next time the cop's dog attacked his dog the guy killed it. Curious what the outcome was.

Now, I take issue with people saying having all these dogs is a cultural thing. Pure BS. You won't see any dogs running around the Convention Center in Chiang Mai. Why not if they are so revered? I guess the elites don't want their women and kids chased and jumped on. Or maybe they don't want their fancy cars pissed and sheeet on.

I have been to Prachuap Khirikhan lately and just got back from Krabi. Guess what? Hardly any dogs. They don't want the damn pests bothering the tourists I guess.

I have personally moved from three different expensive apartment complexes because of dogs, the last one a lady had 20 dogs living across the street from the complex. I put up with it for three years even called the cops who actually did come out but did nothing. They told me everyone complains but they can nothing. There ya go folks. Thais do illegal and stupid things because there is no accountability or law to prevent it I guess. Or maybe just not enforced like so many other things like burning etc.

I moved out and scoped out a new rejuvenated condo building about a dozen times before I moved in. I made a comprehensive list of all the issues that needed resolving before I agreed to move in. One of them was the fact that four dogs live on the complex. In fact, every single time I would meet with the owner or a rep we got chased for two blocks. I said I won't move in unless you get rid of them. Not only did she agree, I put it in my contract. They agreed to get rid of them and signed off on my lease agreement.

Now, seven months later the flucking dogs sit on the steps outside my door and howl and bark all night long, continue to chase anyone and everyone who comes to the complex and bark all night long. The owner has done nothing.

So, I once again took a Thai person's word (stupid I know) that they would get rid of the dogs.

So I ask all the dog lovers out there what to do and please don't say move. should I move? I'm the one paying 15K a month for rent not the f...... dogs.

Would I cut off their paws? NO. Would I poison them? Does anyone know where to buy poison that works? Rat poison doesn't work.

And I assume poisoning the owners would be a bit more of the problem. What I have learned is that talking to the owners does NOTHING. They smile and promise a laugh at you and do nothing.

So, I am open for options on what to do. But time is running out. Maybe someone knows of a service that could pick them up. No one claims to own them so no one should get upset when they disappear.

Again, to all the dog lovers what is your solution to the problem other than move and bitch and moan about what the guy did?

As I suspected not one dog lover has come up with a solution to the dog problem so there ya go. And to the guy who got attacked by the monkeys at PK, if you didn't go there to the wat they wouldn't have attacked you. You should have gone to the air force base (Ao Manow) where the monkeys you can feed out of your hand. You say you moved on" well <deleted> does that mean? You don't live there dufus. I live here. Big difference but too many little minds on TV. Solutions needed not whining. Hopefully some of the dog lovers will get bitten and get rabies and maybe the pain might change their views. I found a dog in the Arizona desert that fit in my shoe. I had to fly it home on a separate flight. Spent 17 years with that dog so nobody can tell me I don't love dogs. These are not dogs here in Thailand. The Soi dogs are vermin out of control and need to go. How many of you fools would let your 2 year old walk past a pack of 20 dogs fighting just trying to walk down the street? Where I live people try walk their dogs and have to carry a large staff with to fend off the dogs.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, so the guy who cut off the dog;'s paws should go to jail. I agree.But here is the problem. First of all, it wasn't the dog's fault for running around freely. It was the owner's fault so the facts are that if the owner who apparently had been asked and warned on numerous occasions not to let the dog run free had done her job the dog would be fine today. So who is "really" at fault here? The owner.

A few years ago some farong guy used to walk his dog thru a neighborhood and it got attacked by a cop's dog and badly injured. I recall the guy taking a knife with him and the next time the cop's dog attacked his dog the guy killed it. Curious what the outcome was.

Now, I take issue with people saying having all these dogs is a cultural thing. Pure BS. You won't see any dogs running around the Convention Center in Chiang Mai. Why not if they are so revered? I guess the elites don't want their women and kids chased and jumped on. Or maybe they don't want their fancy cars pissed and sheeet on.

I have been to Prachuap Khirikhan lately and just got back from Krabi. Guess what? Hardly any dogs. They don't want the damn pests bothering the tourists I guess.

I have personally moved from three different expensive apartment complexes because of dogs, the last one a lady had 20 dogs living across the street from the complex. I put up with it for three years even called the cops who actually did come out but did nothing. They told me everyone complains but they can nothing. There ya go folks. Thais do illegal and stupid things because there is no accountability or law to prevent it I guess. Or maybe just not enforced like so many other things like burning etc.

I moved out and scoped out a new rejuvenated condo building about a dozen times before I moved in. I made a comprehensive list of all the issues that needed resolving before I agreed to move in. One of them was the fact that four dogs live on the complex. In fact, every single time I would meet with the owner or a rep we got chased for two blocks. I said I won't move in unless you get rid of them. Not only did she agree, I put it in my contract. They agreed to get rid of them and signed off on my lease agreement.

Now, seven months later the flucking dogs sit on the steps outside my door and howl and bark all night long, continue to chase anyone and everyone who comes to the complex and bark all night long. The owner has done nothing.

So, I once again took a Thai person's word (stupid I know) that they would get rid of the dogs.

So I ask all the dog lovers out there what to do and please don't say move. should I move? I'm the one paying 15K a month for rent not the f...... dogs.

Would I cut off their paws? NO. Would I poison them? Does anyone know where to buy poison that works? Rat poison doesn't work.

And I assume poisoning the owners would be a bit more of the problem. What I have learned is that talking to the owners does NOTHING. They smile and promise a laugh at you and do nothing.

So, I am open for options on what to do. But time is running out. Maybe someone knows of a service that could pick them up. No one claims to own them so no one should get upset when they disappear.

Again, to all the dog lovers what is your solution to the problem other than move and bitch and moan about what the guy did?

As I suspected not one dog lover has come up with a solution to the dog problem so there ya go. And to the guy who got attacked by the monkeys at PK, if you didn't go there to the wat they wouldn't have attacked you. You should have gone to the air force base (Ao Manow) where the monkeys you can feed out of your hand. You say you moved on" well <deleted> does that mean? You don't live there dufus. I live here. Big difference but too many little minds on TV. Solutions needed not whining. Hopefully some of the dog lovers will get bitten and get rabies and maybe the pain might change their views. I found a dog in the Arizona desert that fit in my shoe. I had to fly it home on a separate flight. Spent 17 years with that dog so nobody can tell me I don't love dogs. These are not dogs here in Thailand. The Soi dogs are vermin out of control and need to go. How many of you fools would let your 2 year old walk past a pack of 20 dogs fighting just trying to walk down the street? Where I live people try walk their dogs and have to carry a large staff with to fend off the dogs.
A few suggestions:

Feed them a small amount each day. In 30 days, they will at least be your friends.

Invest in a comfortable pair of ear plugs for sleeping, for your sanity.

Find the animal rescue people that exist in your area. They are probably on Facebook. ( Yes, you might need a Thai to do that search)

Or move to a highrise. Because just complaining on TVF surely won't work.

Edited by phoenixdoglover

I dont like my neighbours , doesnt mean I would think about poisoning them

A few suggestions:

Feed them a small amount each day. In 30 days, they will at least be your friends.

Find the animal rescue people that exist in your area. They are probably on Facebook. ( Yes, you might need a Thai to do that search)

1)Feeding is the worst thing you can do. They will bark every time they see you for food.

2) Earplugs do not work

3) There is no animal rescue around here

4) Move to a highrise. That may work but now the dogs are in control of the humans. Right

So if a bear starts to eat your food inside your tent or start destroying all your stuff you gonna just sit and watch it. How about if it starts chasing your kids? Sorry, the dogs gotta go. They do not belong on the street chasing people and making a nuisance. It's nuts. Just because stupid people do stupid things doesn't make it acceptable. Again no dogs allowed in the Convention Center or in major tourist areas that I have been to. Why not?

Again, not one single usable solution. We kill humans who do things against the law why not a dog?

Edited by SCARLETIBIS1

You accept and move on because you got hassled by a bunch of monkeys at a temple in a town you visited while on vacation. Big deal. Wonder how accepting you would be if they hassled you every day on your property.

I went to Prachuap Kirikhan too, a couple of months ago. While there my gf and I bought food to have a picnic near the beach. The moment we got out of the car we were mobbed by maybe 30 or 40 macaques that systematically wrenched all the food from us to leave us with nothing within a single minute. It was really scary! Dogs don't do that, so it's not much to do with "bothering" tourists which those monkeys obviously do.

But unlike you, I accept and move on; I don't feel the need to exterminate them.

I do, however, sympathise with your current plight.

Deliberate cruel acts need result in maximum penalty. If so enraged why cut off legs instead of killing the dog outright? Maiming the dog seems to have the intent to punish the owner without any concern for the outcome to the dog. If so it represents the underlying reality of Thai perspectives. Distortions of Buddhist philosophy being used and abused to justify and apologize for the mistakes of the now. Responsibility in this is on both parties. The disgusting part is that the dog will forever have more permanent suffering than either of the human participitants.

I dont like my neighbours , doesnt mean I would think about poisoning them

Take care! You have no idea what the neighbours are thinking! tongue.png

A few suggestions:

1)Feeding is the worst thing you can do. They will bark every time they see you for food.

2) Earplugs do not work

4) Move to a highrise. That may work but now the dogs are in control of the humans. Right

Not in my experience feeding feral packs in the Middle East and Thailand. Dogs that perceive you as a friend will bark much less. Besides, you complained of being chased every time by the dogs, and that will be reduced as well.
2) Earplugs do not work
Of course they do; they reduce noise by 20 to 30 db.
I don't know where "around here" is for you. Many groups don;t advertise, have no storefront or other identifiable location, and operate on an informal social basis. Unless you know how to search on Facebook in Thai script, you might never find them.
You have two options: do something or do nothing. Either way, you are being "controlled" by the dogs, your negligent neighbors, and the Thai attitudes regarding dogs. Usually people are much happier when they do something.
Good luck.

Seriously, I challenge anyone here on TV to propose a philosophical case whereby they can argue intelligently that it is ok for stray, soi dogs with no owners (or even owner owned dogs that stray) that it is ok to go on to other peoples property and bark all night long on the steps of that person's property, chase and or/attack a person walking down the public street or riding a motorbike down a public street, or pee or sheeet all over someone's private property or even in this case to go on someone's private property and destroy other private propert.

It is beyond all reason to ask someone to move away from their property to alleviate this issue.

It is beyond all reason to suggest to just feed the dogs. They will still come to your private property to bark for food every time they see you. etc etc.

Ear plugs do not diminish the sound that much at night when the dogs are outside your unit.

Why is it that in "civilized" societies there are laws against dogs running around freely with fines etc but here no? Is Thailand uncivilized?

Those that argue dogs are just being dogs do not make a case for them not to be eliminated one way or the other.

Should we give a little money every day to a robber to make a friend out of him? Do we not try and have a robber arrested and jailed instead so we do not have to have the problem in the future? Why not the same for a roving perhaps rabid dog?

I'm not saying it is ok to eliminate a dog that barks all day long behind an owner's fenced in wall. That is a different problem. That just shows how utterly stupid, insensitive to their neighbors and clueless a person would have to be to let their dogs do that all night long. So I differentiate. And even there that is clearly making a disturbance once again in civilized societies a fine would imposed.

And if you say yeah, the problem is that T land is not really a civilized society ok fine then we gotta do what the settlers going West in the US did. They solved their own problems their own way.

So again I ask all the bright, intelligent, persuasive TV posters to come up with a solution that makes sense. So far nada.

Edited by SCARLETIBIS1

Seriously, I challenge anyone here on TV to propose a philosophical case whereby they can argue intelligently that it is ok for stray, soi dogs with no owners (or even owner owned dogs that stray) that it is ok to go on to other peoples property and bark all night long on the steps of that person's property, chase and or/attack a person walking down the public street or riding a motorbike down a public street, or pee or sheeet all over someone's private property or even in this case to go on someone's private property and destroy other private propert.

It is beyond all reason to ask someone to move away from their property to alleviate this issue.

It is beyond all reason to suggest to just feed the dogs. They will still come to your private property to bark for food every time they see you. etc etc.

Ear plugs do not diminish the sound that much at night when the dogs are outside your unit.

Why is it that in "civilized" societies there are laws against dogs running around freely with fines etc but here no? Is Thailand uncivilized?

Those that argue dogs are just being dogs do not make a case for them not to be eliminated one way or the other.

Should we give a little money every day to a robber to make a friend out of him? Do we not try and have a robber arrested and jailed instead so we do not have to have the problem in the future? Why not the same for a roving perhaps rabid dog?

I'm not saying it is ok to eliminate a dog that barks all day long behind an owner's fenced in wall. That is a different problem. That just shows how utterly stupid, insensitive to their neighbors and clueless a person would have to be to let their dogs do that all night long. So I differentiate. And even there that is clearly making a disturbance once again in civilized societies a fine would imposed.

And if you say yeah, the problem is that T land is not really a civilized society ok fine then we gotta do what the settlers going West in the US did. They solved their own problems their own way.

So again I ask all the bright, intelligent, persuasive TV posters to come up with a solution that makes sense. So far nada.

Nobody said it was "OK". You use a lot of words to build a straw man argument.

As I implied...some folks just like to complain.

It is your own laziness or lack of imagination that you will not choose ways to ameliorate your situation, but instead are attempting to justify an inhumane response.

Western countries moved on 100 years ago. Thailand is making that change now, albeit slowly.

Need to cool it with the Karma BS. Karma is bullshit and a LAME copout superstition. Think about it...how is Karma used to explain children born with hideous birth defects...or childhood cancer...or child abuse and suffering...or thousands of children starving to death daily??? W-T-F could any child do to be dealt such a shitty life, yet the BS karma crap copout wrongly infers that those who do bad things will magically get bad things in return and visa-versa. Doesn't happen! Baddies get away with bad things all the time and bad things happen to good people, including children and infants, all the time. Exactly why we have human laws, enforced by human beings and just don't sit around on our asses and rely on karma or some non existent BS divine justice to handle things. They DO NOT exist.

PLEASE put the miserable karma copout out of its misery.

It makes me sick to my stomach that I have to share air with a person that could do this .....without a doubt I could put a bullet in his head.

So you would commit murder for a dog injury? The man had every right to protect his property from the dog, he just went about it the wrong way, advocating murder is also the wrong way to go and would make you 100x worse than the man who did this to the dog.

It is completely true, and valid, that this man had the right to protect his property. The dog, and the dog owner were completely in the wrong here, for invading his home, and destroying his property. Let us not forget this detail. For all of the dog apologists out there, a little bit of training, and the dog knows better. No training, and he is a helpless creature, terrorizing the neighborhood, and it is entirely the fault of the dog owner.

One could rightly proclaim, if you are not willing to put the time and effort into properly training an animal, don't get one. Same could be said about children. If you are not willing to properly train and educate your child, in the ways of the world, better for everyone if you remain childless.

None of this excuses the barbarity of his actions. But, he was provoked, by an animal completely devoid of discipline or training, and the owner of the dog has to take some of the responsibility for this. Not an easy thing for most Thai people to do.

Need to cool it with the Karma BS. Karma is bullshit and a LAME copout superstition. Think about it...how is Karma used to explain children born with hideous birth defects...or childhood cancer...or child abuse and suffering...or thousands of children starving to death daily??? W-T-F could any child do to be dealt such a shitty life, yet the BS karma crap copout wrongly infers that those who do bad things will magically get bad things in return and visa-versa. Doesn't happen! Baddies get away with bad things all the time and bad things happen to good people, including children and infants, all the time. Exactly why we have human laws, enforced by human beings and just don't sit around on our asses and rely on karma or some non existent BS divine justice to handle things. They DO NOT exist.

Many people have a very hard time with concepts they cannot see, touch, smell, hear, or feel. If it is beyond the senses, it does not exist!

You are most certainly entitled to your opinion. But, express it as such. It is just your opinion, as as such, does not mean much to the world. In my opinion, karma is a concept that is based on ancient scripture, that was written by fully realized saints, who had considerably more understanding of universal principals than you do. But, that is just my opinion. Believe what you want. When the people around Newton proclaimed that gravity did not exist, and he was completely crazy, that did not prevent an apple falling from a tree, from hitting them on the head. Universal principals are a fact, and a science. The lack of understanding of those principals does not make them any less real or factual, and your lack of belief, in the things you cannot see, does not change the way the universe operates by one iota.

The fact that you cannot see the results of the actions that bad people commit does not mean there is not a result. How great is your understanding of the big picture? How deep is your understanding of the physics and science, and principals of the workings of the universe?

Edited by spidermike007

Cruelty is our species darkest attribute. What we do to animals is only a glimmer of what we do to each other.

U could be very well right jLwilliamsjr18, give me a sharp knife and I will demonstrate on the prick.

There are two sides to this story. Very, very few pet owners here are willing to engage in disciplining their dogs. So most just do as they please. Bark all night, chew up peoples possessions, roam the streets, chase bicyclists, chase motorcyclists, bite people at random, etc. They do as they want, as they are never shown any limit to their behavior. So, the owner of the pet has to take some responsibility.

Granted, no cruelty of this manner is justified over a pair of ratty boots, and what was probably a 200 baht helmet. But, he cannot be blamed entirely.

Yes, "he" the so called "human" can be blamed entirely.

No, the dog cannot be blamed ... he's a dog ... woof woof. Dogs do that, and you don't cut off their paws when they do. In a civilised society you train them, or you leave them alone and accept their behaviour, or you call a professional qualified dog pound.

and we all know how civilised Thailand is, the owner is partly to blame the dog is completely innocent........professional dog pound? In Thailand, is there one?

Both the owner and the dog are the blame. There was NOTHING innocent about that dog. He was a destructive beast, who was completely untrained. When it comes to a dog, innocence comes with training. Same with kids. What happens when a kid receives no training? He becomes a Dark Tao serial killer, or the Red Bull cop killer, or a guy who beats up 65 year old women in Hua Hin. Or the PM. LOL.

of course the dog is innocent as it has not been trained, dogs nature to chew etc ab "destructive beast" is going a bit far, maybe if it chewed a baby to death u could say that

Many people have a very hard time with concepts they cannot see, touch, smell, hear, or feel. If it is beyond the senses, it does not exist!

You are most certainly entitled to your opinion. But, express it as such. It is just your opinion, as as such, does not mean much to the world. In my opinion, karma is a concept that is based on ancient scripture, that was written by fully realized saints, who had considerably more understanding of universal principals than you do. But, that is just my opinion. Believe what you want. When the people around Newton proclaimed that gravity did not exist, and he was completely crazy, that did not prevent an apple falling from a tree, from hitting them on the head. Universal principals are a fact, and a science. The lack of understanding of those principals does not make them any less real or factual, and your lack of belief, in the things you cannot see, does not change the way the universe operates by one iota.

The fact that you cannot see the results of the actions that bad people commit does not mean there is not a result. How great is your understanding of the big picture? How deep is your understanding of the physics and science, and principals of the workings of the universe?

Newton worked it out using science/ reason , feel free to offer your evidence and pls dont drag up "ancient scripts and saints" meaningless babble

Newton worked it out using science/ reason , feel free to offer your evidence and pls dont drag up "ancient scripts and saints" meaningless babble

You sort of missed the point of my post, entirely. There is no evidence. Those that seek the absolute need for empirical evidence, are left to grapple with only that which they can perceive through the senses, and will forever have to abandon their feeling and intuition. It is a personal decision. Neither of us is right or wrong. We believe what we believe. I am not disparaging you for your beliefs. Just pointing something out. The people around Newton were not believers in gravity either.

There are two sides to this story. Very, very few pet owners here are willing to engage in disciplining their dogs. So most just do as they please. Bark all night, chew up peoples possessions, roam the streets, chase bicyclists, chase motorcyclists, bite people at random, etc. They do as they want, as they are never shown any limit to their behavior. So, the owner of the pet has to take some responsibility.

Granted, no cruelty of this manner is justified over a pair of ratty boots, and what was probably a 200 baht helmet. But, he cannot be blamed entirely.

Yes, "he" the so called "human" can be blamed entirely.

No, the dog cannot be blamed ... he's a dog ... woof woof. Dogs do that, and you don't cut off their paws when they do. In a civilised society you train them, or you leave them alone and accept their behaviour, or you call a professional qualified dog pound.

and we all know how civilised Thailand is, the owner is partly to blame the dog is completely innocent........professional dog pound? In Thailand, is there one?

Both the owner and the dog are the blame. There was NOTHING innocent about that dog. He was a destructive beast, who was completely untrained. When it comes to a dog, innocence comes with training. Same with kids. What happens when a kid receives no training? He becomes a Dark Tao serial killer, or the Red Bull cop killer, or a guy who beats up 65 year old women in Hua Hin. Or the PM. LOL.

of course the dog is innocent as it has not been trained, dogs nature to chew etc ab "destructive beast" is going a bit far, maybe if it chewed a baby to death u could say that

The bar height for responsibility, rational moral thinking, decision making etc for human and dogs is at a very different level. It could be argued that even the concept of blame, or the concepts behind it, don't apply to dogs. It includes a certain required level of conscious thought. Note dogs are not trained by discussion and rationalisation, by by process rewards, eg do wrong get a slap, do right get a bone. So blame the dog, or blame the lack of framework and safety net in the form of training and owner responsibility. Woof.

You sort of missed the point of my post, entirely. There is no evidence. Those that seek the absolute need for empirical evidence, are left to grapple with only that which they can perceive through the senses, and will forever have to abandon their feeling and intuition. It is a personal decision. Neither of us is right or wrong. We believe what we believe. I am not disparaging you for your beliefs. Just pointing something out. The people around Newton were not believers in gravity either.

Nah there is a difference between belief and science................Science explains using evidence you wont fly when you step off the balcony on the 20th floor, you believe you can.........go ahead jump with your "intuition".........at least youll discover gravity on the way down

He just went into his house and bought out a SWORD??? <deleted>, a sword!! Who has a sword kicking around their place??

555 good question(!), but lots of Thais apparently. Saw a couple teenagers on a motorbike in BKK last month and the kid on the back was holding a VERY long knife. Maybe not exactly a sword, but a machete for sure. GF was not happy

was at central Bang na one afternoon, the cops and security had rounded up a gang of Schoolboys and searched them. They were all lined up on the floor with a table full of knives, meat cleavers, those kung f u throwing stars and machetes next to them. All that happened was the cops called their parents to collect them and tell them off, weapons confiscated,

Edited by thai3