Phuket: A-negative blood needed for Canadian crash victim

webfact

A-negative blood needed for Canadian crash victim
Phuket Gazette

a.jpeg
Vachira Phuket Hospital has asked for urgent donations of A-negative type blood to save the life of Canadian crash victim Connelly Bavid Lee. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: -- Vachira Phuket Hospital requires donations of A-negative blood to save the life of a 35-year-old Canadian motorcyclist who was seriously injured in a collision with a 10-wheel truck in Phuket yesterday.

“Connelly Bavid Lee was admitted to Vachira Phuket Hospital early yesterday morning with serious injuries to his chest, back, and legs. We have given him four units of blood already,” said Ampai Saengwichitr, a medical technician at Vachira Phuket Hospital.

“However, we need more A-negative blood to perform further surgery. Anyone wishing to donate blood can do so at Vachira Phuket Hospital,” she said.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Anegative-blood-needed-Canadian-crash-victim/63830?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-05-06

A - blood type can receive both from A - and also receive from O - O - is known as the "Universal Donor".

O + is not the universal donor.

The only blood type that can receive from anyone is AB + "Universal Receiver"

"In an emergency, type O negative red blood cells may be given to anyone — especially if the situation is life-threatening or the matching blood type is in short supply."

- Mayo Clinic

http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/articles/11_25_09/2d.jpg

http://www.disabled-world.com/calculators-charts/blood-chart.php

Edited by Catoni

A - blood type can receive both from A - and also receive from O - O - is known as the "Universal Donor".

"In an emergency, type O negative red blood cells may be given to anyone — especially if the situation is life-threatening or the matching blood type is in short supply."

- Mayo Clinic

If the blood types are not compatible, red blood cells will clump together, making clots that can block blood vessels and cause death.

In an emergency, type O blood can be given because it is most likely to be accepted by all blood types. However, there is still a risk involved.

Since the blood is urgently needed, why doesn't Vachira Phuket Hospital get A- blood donations sent from anywhere in the country?

Nationally Rh negative blood is in very short supply.

There are mechanisms operated by the Red X which allow the inter- regional transfer of blood, these will have been activated at the same time(or before) the local appeal was made

Since the blood is urgently needed, why doesn't Vachira Phuket Hospital get A- blood donations sent from anywhere in the country?

Nationally Rh negative blood is in very short supply.

There are mechanisms operated by the Red X which allow the inter- regional transfer of blood, these will have been activated at the same time(or before) the local appeal was made

Well, in the article it says you can only donate at the hospital in Phuket. If they extended the appeal to nationwide, then people like myself and 'seadog' would donate our A-neg.

I can supply but in Khon kaen but can give it here and you could get it sent down?

I believe he needs A or O RH negative, can donate to the Red Cross anywhere in Thailand and specific that it goes to Mr David Connelly at the Bangkok international hospital in Phuket! God bless you!!! Thank you so much! ❤️?

"In an emergency, type O negative red blood cells may be given to anyone especially if the situation is life-threatening or the matching blood type is in short supply."

- Mayo Clinic

Thank you doctor.

Your Google skils are impressive, if not entirely unneeded.

We have several people donating today so that is a good sign however there is further complications and they are saying he needs surgery. But they don't have enough blood ? DELETED

Edited by seedy

We have several people donating today so that is a good sign however there is further complications and they are saying he needs surgery. But they don't have enough blood ?

13177394_10156909514535608_3380640281024

Messages I've received via FB ...

"It's very critical as they don't have enough blood and he needs surgery! I'm really not sure what will happen! I'm just praying that his organs don't fail! Thanks for passing it along."

Family of Canadian man repeats urgent call for blood donations
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1462770223_1-org.jpg
Urgent donations of A-negative or O-negative blood are needed for Canadian David Connelly, who suffered critical injuries in a motorbike accident in Patong last Wednesday.

PHUKET: -- The family of a Canadian man injured in a Phuket motorbike accident last week have repeated their call for urgent blood donations so that doctors can perform critical operations.

David Connelly, 41, remains in the Intensive Care Unit at Bangkok Hospital Phuket after he was seriously injured in a collision with a 10-wheeled truck in Patong at 8:30pm last Wednesday (May 4).

His family made an urgent plea for donations of Type A Rh-negative and Type O Rh-negative blood on Thursday. (See story here.)

“He is now conscious but doctors cannot operate because they are waiting for the necessary blood stock,” a family member told The Phuket News this morning (May 9).

“His internal organs, including his lungs and kidneys, have suffered serious damage. Also, his shoulder and pelvis are shattered.”

Donors are urged to make their donations at the Phuket Regional Blood Centre, or at the Blood Bank at Vachira Phuket Hospital.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/family-of-canadian-man-repeats-urgent-call-for-blood-donations-57346.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-05-09

I wish I could even though am in Brunei but would have sincerely flown out to donate it but am AB+

Why Thailand is short of blood all the time? I hope someone starts a blood donation campaign instead of donating fold and dosh to temples and rogue monks

I wish I could even though am in Brunei but would have sincerely flown out to donate it but am AB+

Why Thailand is short of blood all the time? I hope someone starts a blood donation campaign instead of donating fold and dosh to temples and rogue monks

A negative is rather uncommon in Thailand.

A negative is rather uncommon in Thailand.

For Thailand, O- is only .2% of the population and A- .1% - http://www.rhesusnegative.net/themission/bloodtypefrequencies/

Rhesus Negative (Rh-) blood is very rare among Thai people so the Thai Red Cross Blood Bank sometimes does not have adequate stores of Rh- blood when it is urgently needed. The Central Blood Register is a resource for Embassies, other hospitals, the Thai Red Cross and individuals to call when Rh- blood is needed. Calls can then be made to the volunteers on the list to look for an eligible and available donor. Registered donors can be removed from the list at any time.

Central Blood Register

You are the same blood group as myself. What I don't understand is why is there no national blood bank system in addition to the ones scattered around the country?