Will Chinese get bored of Thailand?

The Chinese middle class has reached 500M in less than 20yrs and still growing. This is larger than the entire populations of US/Canada/Australia. In 2015 they spent over $150B in global tourism exceeding US/Europe/Japan combined.

As for the Chinese diaspora, will that has been growing for thousands of years over 7 continents and only get larger. Better start learning Mandarin.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am sure they will get tired of the

Crime, dirty water, filthy beaches

And being scammed by some of

The locals. This will last a couple

Of years, then they will all be off to

Vietnam for cleaner water and more

Beautiful beaches.

HAHAHA, i went to ho chi minh city for my first time july 2015 stayed there 4 night before i have to return back to Thailand.

1. i got scammed at a massage parlour first day

2. the locals seems to be very easily aggresive, ecspeacally if you ask for the price for some items and not buy it.

3. it so <deleted> noisy!

after 4 year in Thiland i find Thailand much better.... NOT Pattaya or patong phuket. BUT THE REAL THAILAND. :)

i pity the Chinese! they lack the Farang option to ask silly questions in an English language forum when they are very bored laugh.png

I asked the same q a while back.............what do they tell their friends back home in china.....

No more a stupid question than many of q's asked in various threads....

Curious.......because from my personal experience,thais don't speak to well of them.......Don't spent enough apparentlywink.png

As they say there is no such thing as a stupid question only a stupid answer

The ones that have come to Thailand will be bored before they go home, but remember there are more than a Billion of them, so I only see their numbers increasing year on year until the Thai government

figures out that they are not beneficial to Thailand, and in fact will drive much higher value tourists away from here, and on to other destinations.

The Chinese middle class has reached 500M in less than 20yrs and still growing. This is larger than the entire populations of US/Canada/Australia. In 2015 they spent over $150B in global tourism exceeding US/Europe/Japan combined.

As for the Chinese diaspora, will that has been growing for thousands of years over 7 continents and only get larger. Better start learning Mandarin.

The Chinese diaspora is a difficult concept when it comes to Thailand since they effectively control the country. In one of the academic Benedict Anderson's last lectures he quantified 78% of Thai MPs at the last election being ethnic Chinese against 14% of the population.

Even if they get bored at a rate of 5,000,000 per year in 20 years you've not put a dent in their total population & you have new generations outnumbering the amount that's bored.....

Beautiful beaches.

Wishful thinking,....I'm afraid,

The Chinese art here to stay and probably take over the place in a near future....My wife and I have just travelled for more than five months all over Thailand.

From Mae Sai at the Myanmar border to Sadao on the Malaysian border and everywhere in between West and East on the map.

Let me tell you that almost everywhere they have Chinese text on the menu's, welcome signs in Chinese...no smoking in the room signs etc...

If you don't believe me go to Sadao the furthermost town on the west coast close to Had Yay ...I remember years ago it was a small boring town with a couple of streets and one shitty hotel.and a even more shitty guest house...Now right on the border there are numerous brand new Chinese hotels, all over the place, and new streets with more hotels, massage parlours, A huge team park with a few cowboy saloon's, horse riding,Quad ATV race tracks and plenty more...The Chinese are investing big time in Thailand.

My wife and I know some quiet beaches on the East coast with almost no tourists, it was so peaceful it was like a dream,...and now the Chinese are prospecting there to buy existing businesses or land to build resorts. It was a shock for us. believe me Thailand as we knew it is becoming a thing of the past, it's on the verge of a brand new era...and it's going to be exponentially fast, like a snowball rolling down a snowy hill gathering more and more snow. A guest house we know in Chiang Mai has been rented out for 30 years to Chinese.

now it is full every day and it's low season...!?!?!... let me put it a other way,...every criminal or not organisation in China with black money is going to launder it's dark money in legitimate businesses here. it's easy, no questions asked, bribery is rife, so anything is possible.It's close, they can come in a couple of hours by plane. from anywhere in China. With more than a billion potential customers in there country...there is no limit...!!!

Thailand as we knew it is a thing of the past....enjoy the good memory's, but don't make any illusions... The Chinese will stay...and more will come, Some are marrying Thai girls or woman to buy land and start businesses....

I am in Chiang Mai now and in the street next to my place CharoenPratet RD, there are 2 new Chinese restaurants....one started two tears ago....the other one a couple of months ago.

Thailand has given me some of the most exalting and adventitious times of my life and I hate to see it going that way but there is nothing I can do about it....

My wife and I will enjoy it further as much as possible, and look for other beaches to have peace and quiet.

Best regards, Off Road Pat

PS: blame the 2012 Chinese hit movie "Lost in Thailand" filmed mainly in Chiang Mai and surroundings, witch brought in the first Chinese tourists massively....due to it's huge success in China

Beautiful beaches.

The Chinese art here to stay and probably take over the place in a near future....My wife and I have just travelled for more than five months all over Thailand.

From Mae Sai at the Myanmar border to Sadao on the Malaysian border and everywhere in between West and East on the map.

Let me tell you that almost everywhere they have Chinese text on the menu's, welcome signs in Chinese...no smoking in the room signs etc...

If you don't believe me go to Sadao the furthermost town on the west coast close to Had Yay ...I remember years ago it was a small boring town with a couple of streets and one shitty hotel.and a even more shitty guest house...Now right on the border there are numerous brand new Chinese hotels, all over the place, and new streets with more hotels, massage parlours, A huge team park with a few cowboy saloon's, horse riding,Quad ATV race tracks and plenty more...The Chinese are investing big time in Thailand.

My wife and I know some quiet beaches on the East coast with almost no tourists, it was so peaceful it was like a dream,...and now the Chinese are prospecting there to buy existing businesses or land to build resorts. It was a shock for us. believe me Thailand as we knew it is becoming a thing of the past, it's on the verge of a brand new era...and it's going to be exponentially fast, like a snowball rolling down a snowy hill gathering more and more snow. A guest house we know in Chiang Mai has been rented out for 30 years to Chinese.

now it is full every day and it's low season...!?!?!... let me put it a other way,...every criminal or not organisation in China with black money is going to launder it's dark money in legitimate businesses here. it's easy, no questions asked, bribery is rife, so anything is possible.It's close, they can come in a couple of hours by plane. from anywhere in China. With more than a billion potential customers in there country...there is no limit...!!!

Thailand as we knew it is a thing of the past....enjoy the good memory's, but don't make any illusions... The Chinese will stay...and more will come, Some are marrying Thai girls or woman to buy land and start businesses....

Thailand has given me some of the most exalting and adventitious times of my life and I hate to see it going that way but there is nothing I can do about it....

All we can do is hope or pray for the Chinese Yuan to devaluate massively.....

My wife and I will enjoy it further as much as possible, and look for other beaches to have peace and quiet.

PS: blame the 2012 Chinese hit movie "Lost in Thailand" filmed mainly in Chiang Mai and surroundings, witch brought in the first Chinese tourists massively....due to it's huge success in China.

Edited by off road pat

Beautiful beaches.

All we can do is hope or pray for the Chinese Yuan to devaluate massively.....

PS: blame the 2012 Chinese hit movie "Lost in Thailand" filmed mainly in Chiang Mai and surroundings, witch brought in the first Chinese tourists massively....due to it's huge success in China.

They must have done a Lost In Paris movie also....Just got back & the place is full of flag toting Chinese tour groups....

Seems like they were having fun too - but never saw them out or dining as couples....Planes and departure lounges were full of them too...Eating their hand packed drinks & food....

I hope so..

Interesting comment.

Please expand on this.

I know many Chinese people..all good decent people....why do you hope so?

Herd mentality response? They really intrude into your lifestyle in Thailand? You do live in Thailand?

I await your response.

The Chinese diaspora is a difficult concept when it comes to Thailand since they effectively control the country. In one of the academic Benedict Anderson's last lectures he quantified 78% of Thai MPs at the last election being ethnic Chinese against 14% of the population.

Well let's pick on the Indians instead!!!

Beautiful beaches.

I am in Chiang Mai now and in the street next to my place CharoenPratet RD, there are 2 new Chinese restaurants....one started two tears ago....the other one a couple of months ago.

PS: blame the 2012 Chinese hit movie "Lost in Thailand" filmed mainly in Chiang Mai and surroundings, witch brought in the first Chinese tourists massively....due to it's huge success in China

Awwww...poor sad farang. Get over yourself.

EVERY country is catering to the tourist....this time it is the Chinese....not many years ago it was the Japanese. Next it WILL be the Indians as they become more prosperous.

Don't blame the tourists..blame the ..ahem..entrepreneurs....who can see a quick buck and take the opportunity.

Edited by Mudcrab

They come here to poop in the streets.

They can do that at home...why spend an airfare for a crap.....some new form of selfie or planking.

Hey you guys....I just shit at the Taj Mahal!!!

Beautiful beaches.

Sadao is a Malaysian border city. Actually it also happens to be the busiest Thai land border crossing with another country.

The Chinese writing you might find in some places there has nothing to do with mainland Chinese.

25% of Malaysians are ethnic Chinese who mostly still speak their own Chinese dialects and usually Mandarin too.

Those signs were meant for them. What would mainland Chinese go to some dusty border town for? That's right they don't. But Malaysian Chinese sure do.

I see more Chinese coming to Thailand as time passes and if the Chinese Wealth continues to grow. For one the distance between China and Thailand is pretty close. The weather here in the winter times is also certainly better than Northern China as well. Thailand is also a country they can easily enter verses say the USA or the EU. For Canada this is why so many seniors go to Florida in the USA to Retire in the winter time.

Not sure if I agree they don't much care for the Girls here much. True you won't see them sitting around having a beer at 10 am on Beach Road, but if you ever go to Walking Street at night time then take a good look around as there are plenty there. When I used to go occasionally I used to see them come in to watch the strippers there. Usually a whole large group together. They never stayed that long or drank that much, but they certainly looked interested to me.

What they tend to do differently than I do, is they like to see as much as the country in there short time here as they can, where I prefer to stay in one place at a time and relax. You will see them loaded in Tour Buses all the time, coming and going all hours of the day. They also seem to love shopping a lot more than I do. They are huge shoppers in Thailand. I don't think prices are much cheaper here than China, so I suspect it is the variety they are after.

I think the only drawback for the Chinese Tourist is money and the language barrier. Wherever I go in Pattaya I can always find someone who knows a bit of English at least, but I doubt that is so for the Chinese. But since they tend to travel in larger groups I am sure someone in that group can speak a bit of English or Thai to help them all out.

Thailand is close and easy to get to. I think there will more Chinese coming to Thailand in the future; a lot more.

They haven't been talking about a fast rail link for nothing have they?

Who patronises all those shops selling $25,000 watches and Lamborghinis on the 2nd Floor of Paragon? Japanese, Korean, Chinese fat cats. Can't get them here in enough quantities I'd say, and Bangkok, is probably the cleanest, most efficient, most sophisticated and most interesting city in Asia.

Where else do you go shopping? Where else has shopping centres like we do here. Who else puts on Film Festivals with free admission. I'd like to know actually.

"cleanest, most efficient, most sophisticated" Bangkok? Never been to Japan then I take it?

I see more Chinese coming to Thailand as time passes and if the Chinese Wealth continues to grow. For one the distance between China and Thailand is pretty close. The weather here in the winter times is also certainly better than Northern China as well. Thailand is also a country they can easily enter verses say the USA or the EU. For Canada this is why so many seniors go to Florida in the USA to Retire in the winter time.

Not sure if I agree they don't much care for the Girls here much. True you won't see them sitting around having a beer at 10 am on Beach Road, but if you ever go to Walking Street at night time then take a good look around as there are plenty there. When I used to go occasionally I used to see them come in to watch the strippers there. Usually a whole large group together. They never stayed that long or drank that much, but they certainly looked interested to me.

What they tend to do differently than I do, is they like to see as much as the country in there short time here as they can, where I prefer to stay in one place at a time and relax. You will see them loaded in Tour Buses all the time, coming and going all hours of the day. They also seem to love shopping a lot more than I do. They are huge shoppers in Thailand. I don't think prices are much cheaper here than China, so I suspect it is the variety they are after.

I think the only drawback for the Chinese Tourist is money and the language barrier. Wherever I go in Pattaya I can always find someone who knows a bit of English at least, but I doubt that is so for the Chinese. But since they tend to travel in larger groups I am sure someone in that group can speak a bit of English or Thai to help them all out.

Some very valid points, particularly the language barrier, probably the main reason they go around mob handed.

Not long ago we went on our own to Guangshou for a week, English was virtually non existent and it was a real struggle to get by. One time we tried to get directions, we asked over a dozen people before we got an answer, and that was a Turk that worked locally.

Generally prices in China are lower than here in Thailand, the one big exception is tourist attractions. People complain about the prices here for attractions but all that we were interested in were priced at 250 Yuan, that would have been about £75 for the 3 of us to get in, and it appeared to apply to everyone.

We were there during the October golden week and it seemed like everyone just took to the streets, not surprising that those that can afford it want to jump on a plane.

Another thing that some tend to forget is the strong historical connection the Chinese have with Thailand, you only have to see the huge Chinese graveyards around here.

Let's not forget there are a billion of them, and Thailand is easily reached by land or air. Factor in the relatively cheap prices and ease of entry (compared to the US and Europe), and I can't see numbers decreasing any time soon.

It's not only Thailand however. If you were in Venice last week you would have had trouble taking a photo without a Chinese man popping into your shot to take his/her own. So if it's any consolation, they are ruining holiday destinations worldwide.

Thailand is close and easy to get to. I think there will more Chinese coming to Thailand in the future; a lot more.

Who patronises all those shops selling $25,000 watches and Lamborghinis on the 2nd Floor of Paragon? Japanese, Korean, Chinese fat cats. Can't get them here in enough quantities I'd say, and Bangkok, is probably the cleanest, most efficient, most sophisticated and most interesting city in Asia.

Where else do you go shopping? Where else has shopping centres like we do here. Who else puts on Film Festivals with free admission. I'd like to know actually.

"cleanest, most efficient, most sophisticated" Bangkok? Never been to Japan then I take it?

Yes but I found it relatively boring. . . . and so do they

I hope you are right but my feeling is they are here to stay. What with all the pollution and massive population in China, I am sure many Chinese are looking to migrate elsewhere to try an escape the harsh conditions in China. I think a lot of the Chinese who come to Thailand become enamored with the country and think they are in some sort of a fantasy world with much lower prices, as well as many interesting venues from the beaches to the mountains and all points in between. I guess time will tell.

Very true (lived in China for many years). Whats more, there are WAY more Chinese who can afford a nice beach condo in Thailand then in Vancouver or Sydney....! They still love to buy property. In Thailand they can own condo's, in China not really.... basically even you own it, its still from the government after you died, you cannot pass it on.

Yes but I found it relatively boring. . . . and so do they

Ive been to Japan, not much new, the infrastructure takes you back to the 80's. Beside that I find it more nice to talk with Thai then Japanese, they dont even ACT they like you.... let alone a nice smile.