NCPO spokesman insists the junta always respects human rights

rooster59

NCPO spokesman insists the junta always respects human rights

post-247607-0-66817800-1462583264_thumb.

BANGGKOK: The National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) has always attached importance to human rights, the council’s spokesman Colonel Winthai Suvaree announced on Friday.

His statement was in response to the move by a small group of university lecturers who the United Nations’s office of the high commissioner for human rights to investigate the junta’s alleged human rights violations.

He suspected that the lecturers might be over-worried with the consequences of the enforcement of the laws and orders enacted by the NCPO whereas the public in general were indifferent to the laws or orders.

However, he said that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs would clarify the matter with the international organisations or foreign governments so they have better understanding.

The NCPO spokesman admitted that he was not aware of a campaign allegedly launched by former Thammasat lecturer Somsak Jiamthirasakul in the social media to reject the draft constitution when asked about the issue by reporters.

Nevertheless, he said that the issue was within the jurisdiction of the Election Commission to decide whether the lecturer’s action constituted a violation of the referendum law or not.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/162343

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-05-07

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohhh... So everyone who was commenting about how good it was the lecturer contacted the UN can now put their foot in their mouths. Somsak, of all people, know absolutely nothing about human rights and only speaks out for his personal gain or when ordered to do so. Hopefully, the UN knows about him and his motives for that letter as it was not to help the Thai people.

However he said that the ministry of foreign affairs would clarify the matter with the international organizations or foreign governments so they have better understanding.

Oh dear, the international community is going to have its attitude adjusted.

I think they will find that the international community understands the situation perfectly clearly as it is without being patronized by a bunch of power grabbers.

Most civilized people think that having a personal opinion and expressing it freely is a fundamental human right. This government does not agree with this and therefore has trampled on human rights.

"Better understanding."....( there it is) ....their mantra .

Even disagreeing with his statement , by a Thai ...is tantamount to a security breach.

The lack of freedoms of speech, arrests and detention of citizen , not to mention LM laws that see people rot in jail, is a human rights failure.

Then there is the seafood industry.

Keep saying we need a better understanding.....that's fine.

We better understand its dangerous.

We better understand sanctions need imposing.

We better understand that down the track a military solution to this may be needed.

But mostly we better understand we are dealing with a lying immoral unelected dangerous pack of armed thugs, who have nil respect for their population or the world in general

You will fall.

It's only a matter of time

Edited by Plutojames88

And people of this intellectual caliber are running the country. What does that say?

You ask peanuts, you get monkeys.

TV members and Bangkokians have been supporting the PAD, Thugsuban and the coup.

TV members and Bangkokians received an utterly incompatible government and retract of all human rights.

Logical.

Being arrested, denied bail, and marched in front of a military court, not for writing a post on facebook, not even for liking a post on facebook, but for having one sent to you, as is happening to the mother of Ja New, the student activist, could be construed as a pretty fundemental breach of human rights.

Edited by JAG

"However, he said that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs would clarify the matter with the international organisations or foreign governments so they have better understanding". Seriously. Is there any more explaining that can be done to the bad bad farangs? blink.png

We are ugly, fat and have money, but we are not idiots. gigglem.gif

The Colonel is starting to look tired..

I'm still curious as to how "this coup Will be different from the others" , as claimed by many Junta apologists, especially with regards to the alarming rate of article 112 cases that are blatantly targeting their opposition.

I'm also curious as to why an election back in February 2014 was blocked and disrupted, despite there having been a Royal Decreee passed on that one, and also the one scheduled for the July.

Why is it that when the protestors went against that Royal Decree, it's not seen as 112? and yet not informing the authorities or reporting posters for receiving messages that you didn't respond to, is very much 112?

This doesn't bode well for Thailand at all.

This it would seem comes down to the interpretation of Human Rights , however my interpretation of the Junta's performance so far and the muzzle if you will of freedom of speech , the continual bombardment of what you can say and can't about the Charter , section 44 , arrests of people willing to go outside the norm and actually criticize the NCPO charter , the harassment of students , and perceived threats from the leaders of an Un-elected Government and I ref to the interview with Australia's SBS with Prayut- O -Cha where he indicated those that oppose may end up dead or in Jail , isn't the interpretation of the Democratic freedom of Human Rights that I was brought up to believe in , so who is right here..............................................................coffee1.gif .

His words are not in line with the actions of the Junta. Maybe this bloke is unaware of them ?

Can't be, he is lying through his teeth.

I'm really not sure about that. To be a liar one has to be aware one is lying. Now these people live in a nice cosy bubble where they spend their days praising and passing round medals and decorations to one another, so it is possible they have come to believe their own claptrap. Worrying indeed, if that is the case...

Can one wonder what might have happened without the latest coup?

I am not Thai, so I only have an indirect "interest" in the political situation in Thailand.

That said, I think the military should not take over power.

But......

What would have been the alternative?

Can one wonder what might have happened without the latest coup?

I am not Thai, so I only have an indirect "interest" in the political situation in Thailand.

That said, I think the military should not take over power.

But......

What would have been the alternative?

elections...