Using two passports

I am on my second year on my O-A visa in my Australian passport and have recently returned to Australia, I obtained a single re-entry permit before I left, I have the chance of a weeks holiday in Thailand,can I return on my British passport to save me the hassle of having to get another re-entry permit if I go back on my Australian passport ? Cheers,,,

As a practical matter, I cannot imagine it being a problem.

There nay be some obscure legal reason why you technically should not use a tourist visa exemption while being a long stay Non Imm resident. Anyone know for sure?

• Like 1

Yes, but wouldn't you be better off using the passport with the visa already in it? I can't imagine it would be a good idea to choose to travel to Thailand visa-free when you already have a perfectly good visa. Pay the 1000 Baht, get the re-entry permit at the airport if you want. Unless you absolutely hate interacting with any government officials, it's hardly a "hassle". Just costs a few minutes of your time and less than A$40.

• Like 1

Some people take exception to you having 2 passports. I used to have 2 when I worked in North Africa. The reason was I was working 4/4 and had to send my passport to the countries Embassy in London to get the next period stamped. with one passport I could not do that and get back to Thailand and my family. The British Embassy in Thailand understood and I got the 2nd passport. Checking n at Heathrow at the Qantas desk the girl was taken back when I took my passports out. I told her "They were issued by the UK government and they don't have a problem, so why do you have one?

Now I dont work in North Africa I let my second passport expire and had it cancelled by the Consulate in Bangkok

" the Qantas desk the girl was taken back when I took my passports out."

I was a bit naive in doing exactly the same at the immigration desk in Moscow of all places during the 1980s just as Perestroika was starting.gigglem.gif

Well what a flurry of activity that caused and they were running about in a panic with both passports like “ headless chooks “ as Australian’s say . It was as if they had no concept whatsoever of a person being allowed to hold two passports at the same time. So I learnt from the exercise never to do that again whichever country I am in!

• Like 1

Used to travel all over Europe, including East Germany, in the 70's with 2 different passports (UK / Canada) without any problem. Admittedly never had a resident visa for any of those countries. Also never experienced any "reaction" from airlines when pulling 2 passports out of my pocket. My daughter has 3; never been an issue to date. There are plenty of people with 2 passports, particularly commonwealth combinations, such as UK/Canada, UK/Australia etc., so am surprised by one comment about reaction by Qantas.

• Like 1