Army holds large exercise of tanks in Lopburi

rooster59

And just where would the tanks deployed in a real shootup, in the mountains where most of the fighting went on against the communists some years back, of course tanks would be very useful there or in the flat country during the wet session, the most likely time for an enemy to invade so as to slow or bog down the tanks. Tanks in Thailand seem as about as much use as planeless aircraft carriers.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Easy to post a negative reaction.

Although most of the King's Guards are conscripts, it would be a surprise for most to see what those guys can do.

The RDF is rather impressive.

Although most of the King's Guards are conscripts, it would be a surprise for most to see what those guys can do.

Agreed. As a nation scrubs up pretty well against others in terms of ability. I trust there are some pretty bright minds too. Not all Thais are headlong into oblivion.

invaded by foreign forces

United Arab Emirates forces, maybe ?!?! whistling.gif whistling.gif whistling.gif

Joking aside, just like burma (before/still?), the only enemy here will come from within and the sooner the better IMO.

I kid u not, my (educated) Burmese (of all diff ethnics that is) consider the situation in current Thailand as "karma"...

ie. u get what u deserve. If Thailand continues like this Burma will have more freedom of speech than Burma had in its "highdays".......................

C.L.O.W.N.S.

Bhaahaa... Haha! In case the country is invaded. Sure thing. Better use of the army to control the Chinese tourist hordes at buffet tables!

Well, never forget, the chinese can actually AFFORD "prawn" (a gogo) and the Thai people serfs cannot... The unrivalled one told us on TV some moons ago.

coffee1.gifwhistling.gif

Agreed. As a nation scrubs up pretty well against others in terms of ability. I trust there are some pretty bright minds too. Not all Thais are headlong into oblivion.
Of course there are. It is just that the fine minds are held in check by the usual apes with the firepower and slogans, in my opinion.

Yes, bunch all your tanks up....one B-52 bombing run could have taken them all out. The Thai military is still using World War II era tactics.

I think that was the big parade - you know, the bit when the general mounts his charger (tank) and leads his mighty force past the reviewing stand.

50% of the exercise.

The main logistical challenge would have been getting the damn things to start up on cue...

Any way, it's good to see their getting their moneys worth out of the old M48 tanks!

Must be well made tanks, they were

produced between 1953 and 1959!!!

Probably never used, and very unlikely to ever see any real action while in the hands of the Thai army.

Kind of off topic, but not really. My idea was originally intended for the USA, but it applies here, too.

Out of Thailand's massive military budget, I would like to see 50-100 million dollars diverted for a giant roller coaster project. Built into the side of a mountain, this could bring decades of untold joy to millions of people.

Seems like a better way to use money than investing in more sh--ty machines of war.

Kind of off topic, but not really. My idea was originally intended for the USA, but it applies here, too.

Out of Thailand's massive military budget, I would like to see 50-100 million dollars diverted for a giant roller coaster project. Built into the side of a mountain, this could bring decades of untold joy to millions of people.

Seems like a better way to use money than investing in more sh--ty machines of war.

Also an awful lot of environmental damage, don't you think?

Yes, bunch all your tanks up....one B-52 bombing run could have taken them all out. The Thai military is still using World War II era tactics.

I think that was the big parade - you know, the bit when the general mounts his charger (tank) and leads his mighty force past the reviewing stand.

50% of the exercise.

The main logistical challenge would have been getting the damn things to start up on cue...

Everyone start their engines - - - - - -

never mind, whenever you're ready or able.

Edited by Artisi

Toys for boys, an exercise in futility.

It is a funny thing but most armies run live fire exercises every year to keep in practice and use up ammunition before the expiry date.

So is it your opinion all live fire exercises in all countries are an exercise in futility?

An army which never fought a war has more than 1400 generals. Bravo.....

Did you forget about WW1 when the Thais were on the allied side?

WW2 when they weren't?

Korea when they were?

Vietnam when they were?

Too easy to make sarcastic remarks and not think about what you wrote.

3/4 losses, or 4/5 if you count the war with Laos. More generals needed perhaps?

What do you classify as a loss?

WW1 was a win for that allies and Thailand.

WW2 was a loss for the Japanese and Thailand.

Korea was a stalemate (no win or loss) and is still technically at war.

Vietnam was a loss for Vietnam but a negotiated peace for the US and it allies.

There is some interesting information on Wikipedia about Vietnam here giving a list of the countries on both side, the number of military involved and their casualties. Thailand had the 4th largest military forces there and the 5th largest casualty list.

here is a link to Facts, stats and myths for the US Forces in Vietnam.

http://www.uswings.com/about-us-wings/vietnam-war-facts/

Thailand has also been involved in UN actions in Kuwait, Iraq, Cambodia, East Timor, Darfur.

http://www.providingforpeacekeeping.org/2015/03/30/peacekeeping-contributor-profile-thailand/

It is so easy to slag off Thailand's military when you are too lazy, don't bother to do any research at all and basically have no idea what you are talking about.

Still never mind I am sure that many people will believe you.

I for one don't.

I have no connection with the Thai military or the government but as an ex-serviceman of the UK for 25 years it annoys me when people get things wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam_War

An army which never fought a war has more than 1400 generals. Bravo.....

So what- the UK has more Admirals than ships. Singapore has more main battle tanks than the UK.

Armies conduct exercises on a regular basis around the world without people having to strap on tinfoil hats.

Edited by Psimbo