Anna Reese: Out of Sight and Mind, Actress’ Fatal Crash Case Ends Without Jail Time

webfact

Should similar happen to my wife or kid, and the culprit would just walk away...

I would very much be tempted to take care of justice in a more "eye for eye" manner for sure.

Then I could offer a brief period of monkhood, and a testimony that the spirit thanked me my justice making effort ( and also gave the next lottery numbers too) in a little publicity show.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the benefit of those posters whose indignation overrides their reading ability...

"...While Anna was attending the officer’s cremation ceremony in Suphanburi on 1 July, a woman in the audience had a seizure, shouted that she was being possessed by the ghost of the dead policeman, and called for Anna. The actress was quickly brought over to the woman, a 36-year-old resident from Saraburi province and relative of Pol.Lt. Naphadol.

Speaking to Khaosod on the following day, Anna said the ghost had already left the woman by the time she arrived at her side, but others who watched the seizure told her the ghost had conveyed a message for her.

"He asked for his family to forgive me," Anna told Khaosod."

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1435918909

She should have 'manned up' and done some time, it might have done her career and self-esteem some good. Instead, she has to live with these cringe-making photos of her face in the dirt, and blubbing her eyes out, for the rest of her life.

In most countries when one is guilty of reckless /intoxicated driving causing death the State comes after you with criminal charges that likely attract a custodial sentence. No easy way out for rich or connected, it's up to lawyers and the courts.

Whatever the family gets in court from civil damages is a separate issue.

"After weeks of much public fury – especially after Anna claimed the officer’s ghost forgave her"

I missed that particular piece of BS.

That particular piece of BS was actually a statement made by a relative of the officer at his funeral that the family passed on to the actress. It wasn't a declaration made by her, she simply repeated what she had been told by the family.

So what?

A ghost forgave her?

Yeah right.

BS!

For the benefit of those posters whose indignation overrides their reading ability...

"...While Anna was attending the officer’s cremation ceremony in Suphanburi on 1 July, a woman in the audience had a seizure, shouted that she was being possessed by the ghost of the dead policeman, and called for Anna. The actress was quickly brought over to the woman, a 36-year-old resident from Saraburi province and relative of Pol.Lt. Naphadol.

Speaking to Khaosod on the following day, Anna said the ghost had already left the woman by the time she arrived at her side, but others who watched the seizure told her the ghost had conveyed a message for her.

It's still BS.

No matter how well staged it is.

Edited by Bluespunk

She should have 'manned up' and done some time, it might have done her career and self-esteem some good. Instead, she has to live with these cringe-making photos of her face in the dirt, and blubbing her eyes out, for the rest of her life.

In most countries when one is guilty of reckless /intoxicated driving causing death the State comes after you with criminal charges that likely attract a custodial sentence. No easy way out for rich or connected, it's up to lawyers and the courts.

Whatever the family gets in court from civil damages is a separate issue.

You mean like the Ethan Couch case in Texas in 2013 ? Edited by Koosdedooes

It's still BS.

No matter how well staged it is.

BS=TIT

Less complicated than E=mc2

You mean like the Ethan Couch case in Texas in 2013 ?

Not sure of the relevance here but, some mitigating circumstances: wealthy, able to afford good legal representation, a minor at the time of the incident. Currently serving 2 years in jail (violation of parole); still has 10 years probation. At least there was a semblance of a legal process.

Ms. Reese was not a minor, not sure what the charges were, but no probation (AFAIK), no jail time (obviously) and some (probably) light community service.

Edited by mtls2005

Should similar happen to my wife or kid, and the culprit would just walk away...

I would very much be tempted to take care of justice in a more "eye for eye" manner for sure.

Then I could offer a brief period of monkhood, and a testimony that the spirit thanked me my justice making effort ( and also gave the next lottery numbers too) in a little publicity show.

Gotta wonder what you'd do if it was your wife or your kid driving the car that killed someone. I suspect there'd be a little less blood lust.

Accidents happen. To good people, too. Restitution is appropriate, and apparently has been paid in this case. But barring some kind of proof of negligence, drunkenness, or intent to do harm, prison terms aren't appropriate for accidents.

I don't condone letting her leave the scene without being breathalyzed and tested for drugs, but that's on the police, not on her.

Be careful what you wish for when you rant on about a case like this. Karma can be a bitch and you or I or a loved one are just as likely to be the driver as the victim when an accident happens.

Edited by impulse

Gotta wonder what you'd do if it was your wife or your kid driving the car that killed someone. I suspect there'd be a little less blood lust.

Accidents happen. To good people, too. Restitution is appropriate, and apparently has been paid in this case. But barring some kind of proof of negligence, drunkenness, or intent to do harm, prison terms aren't appropriate for accidents.

I don't condone letting her leave the scene without being breathalyzed and tested for drugs, but that's on the police, not on her.

Be careful what you wish for when you rant on about a case like this. Karma can be a bitch and you or I or a loved one are just as likely to be the driver as the victim when an accident happens.

A glib and facetious response only someone without loved ones could write.

If we start condoning these reckless actions by influential and well-connected people and simply look the other way, then humanity has reached a new low.

If we start condoning these reckless actions by influential and well-connected people and simply look the other way, then humanity has reached a new low.

So you'd be just fine with your wife or child rotting away for decades in a Thai jail if they had an accident and someone died?

Edited by impulse

So you'd be just fine with your wife or child rotting away for decades in a Thai jail if they had an accident and someone died?

You would surely know to educate your kids better than to let them drive recklessly, refuse a breathaliser test, and put on a public display of fake remorse afterwards.

You would surely know to educate your kids better than to let them drive recklessly, refuse a breathaliser test, and put on a public display of fake remorse afterwards.

And your kids always do what you taught them? Must be wonderful to be SuperDad. But, being banged up for 20 years or so would serve 'em right for not following your stellar guidance.

More accurately, it must be wonderful to go through life only seeing one side of every situation, and NEVER being on the wrong side. Until that time when you are.

I'd be real curious to see how you'd feel if it was you facing 10 years in a Thai jail for being the driver in an fatal accident.

From your own qoute: ''Anna told Khaosod''. What a credible source :rolleyes: Anybody else to corroborate that this happened? :unsure:

So why hasn't she been jailed ?

As we've just learned, refusing a breathe test will consider that person "over the limit".

And she wouldn't come up with sufficient compensation. She haggled and haggled.

So why no Thai-netizen "uproar" ?

And what is the "scientific" evidence for "officer’s ghost forgave her" ?

Edited by Pattaya28

And your kids always do what you taught them? Must be wonderful to be SuperDad. But, being banged up for 20 years or so would serve 'em right for not following your stellar guidance.

More accurately, it must be wonderful to go through life only seeing one side of every situation, and NEVER being on the wrong side. Until that time when you are.

I'd be real curious to see how you'd feel if it was you facing 10 years in a Thai jail for being the driver in an fatal accident.

Actions have consequences.

If you screw up in a fatal accident, then don't try to weasel out. Man up, own up to your actions, and face up to the consequences.

I bet Boss the red bull killer has seen this and is now worried about having the full force of the law being implied against him.

What does 'full force of the law' mean ? We will do everything in out power to keep you out of jail even if you kill one of our officers.

Why didn't this woman kick her in the face? Why did she even get in the chair?

...agreed...everyone here seems to like kicking everyone else in the head when they're down..gutless in the extreme.

Edited by tandor

It was a tragic accident. The cop was sleeping in his car. Unlucky.

The wife truly looks devastated by it.

She didn't mean to kill him.

It wasn't murder, as some are claiming. There was zero intent.

She should have apologized to the family.

She did. And paid compensation.

If she was poor, she wouldn't be able to afford to pay compensation.

The wife would be worse off. Her husband would still be dead.

The wife accepted the payoff.

If I accidently killed someone I would do the same thing as the actress. Pay the family, give the best apology I could and try to avoid Thai jail.

Hitting a car with a sleeping cop. How unlucky is that.

Paying the family off is just corruption at its best.she should be banged up.how many celebs in the real world would of got away with this one..none.im suprised that the mad <deleted> that's doing his monk temple holiday hasn't lost the Thai franchise from Mercedes for his family.if someone say for instance Wayne Rooney spat into a crowd at a football match he would probably lose his £2,000,000 sponsorship for the boots he wears.she and he's would be looking at up to 5 years inside and a 10 year driving ban.the bitch even had the front to say his ghost turned up to forgive her.yeah righty Ho.if I was the ghost she would of got a lot more than forgiveness from me.shame on her for destroying a family so she can look the part in a flash car that she can't drive.

"...the bitch even had the front to say his ghost turned up to forgive her.yeah righty Ho"

Why don't you take the time to read the links and see what was actually said and by whom?

"Paying the family off is just corruption at its best."

No, it's not, it's called compensation and it happens all over the world

What has Rooney gobbing got to do with this? She didn't spit, and she doesn't have a sponsorship deal.

Actually Scouse the link does refer to the fact that the guilty party did indeed claim she had been visited by the victims ghost and that the ghost had forgiven her.

I remember the media reports of her saying that at the time she said it; and the outcries it caused. She was also a nun for about a week and never even had her hair cut. I also remember the video taken just after the accident which showed her crying, hysterical and literally shitting her pants until relatives turned up and whisked her away, ensuring no breathalyser or statement until they'd had chance to think what to say and do.

Were you here then? If not you should research it and then you wouldn't make untrue comments.

Btw - you missed the bit about the ghost in the link you did claim to read so not sure researching this case would be of benefit Scouse.

It was a tragic accident. The cop was sleeping in his car. Unlucky.

The wife truly looks devastated by it.

She didn't mean to kill him.

It wasn't murder, as some are claiming. There was zero intent.

She should have apologized to the family.

She did. And paid compensation.

If she was poor, she wouldn't be able to afford to pay compensation.

The wife would be worse off. Her husband would still be dead.

The wife accepted the payoff.

If I accidently killed someone I would do the same thing as the actress. Pay the family, give the best apology I could and try to avoid Thai jail.

Hitting a car with a sleeping cop. How unlucky is that.

It was a tragic accident. However she, like so many rich, was aloud to leave the scene without providing a breath test, or being taken for a blood test, or even giving a statement.

There were also reports in the press that a witness claimed she was racing hi-powered motor bike at the time of the accident. That was quickly swept under the carpet and not pursued. Relatives arrived and whisked her away.

Certainly not murder. Manslaughter, causing death by dangerous driving, speeding, refusing to provide a sample, - take your pick.

I bet Boss the red bull killer has seen this and is now worried about having the full force of the law being implied against him.

What does 'full force of the law' mean ? We will do everything in out power to keep you out of jail even if you kill one of our officers.

Boss killed a senior sergeant major. Rumor his that his mega wealthy family paid peanuts in compensation and he also turned up in a nice black suit at the funeral to say sorry. His family probably consider the matter closed and can't understand why some media are dredging it up again; but are no doubt having their PR people working on it.

She killed a Lt. Colonel and has paid an amount, having rejected the first amount as "too high" - what price does she think a life is worth or how a widow and two kids feel?

If the society's elite can get away with killing cops, through reckless driving, ignoring the speed limit, probably with too much booze and / or drugs in their system then what chance justice for anyone?

A lot of negative comments, and rightly so, it would require an ethics-bypass not to be sickened with the Thai version of justice sometimes.

But guys, what did we expect really? Thailand is a 3rd-world nation, acknowldged by its own foreign diplomats (or at least, the UN representative) to be heading towards failed state status.

The military are out of control and are not accountable to anyone. The police don't even bother to pretend not to be corrupt any more and are not accountable to anyone. Ditto the justice system. The entire administrative system from the Pooyay Baan upwards is corrupt to the core etc etc ad nauseam.

Personally, even though I took the decision to live in Thailand, I detest their culture, I detest their incompetence and I detest their national superiority complex, its just narcissism. And yes, before the sheeple come out and protest that not all Thais are worthless, I agree, I know many Thais who are very good people, probably better than I found where I came from. But they are a small minority in my experience.

So I keep my head down, have my (Thai) wife conduct most of our business with Thais and try not to be enraged by the 3rd-world behaviour we all encounter almost daily. It is after all, the 3rd-world and its a problem for the Thais to resolve, not me. Of course we all know they've been propagandised for decades and that the country has been run by a feudal elite entirely for it's own benefit. But, I get my pension, I live a quiet life and the major consequences that Thais have to suffer for embracing their imposed lifestyle pass me by. USA and England have their merchant bankers, Thailand has its banking and retail conglomerates and its civil service and its law enforcement, etc etc. SSDD.

Eventually, Thailand will grow up, eventually they will realise that the rest of the world has passed them by and that they really have to get out of their self-imposed nightmare. Eventually, they will realise that it is the dismal state of their education system that causes most of the problems, and they will fix it.

Eventually.

In the meantime, I try to remember why I came here - it's relatively cheap (unless you buy something from the mafia franchises such as cars and pickups), the weather's good and by and large, the trouble that Thais cause themselves pretty much bypass us. I figure that fixing Thailand (or even giving sensible advice to Thais for them to ignore) just isn't my job, it's someone else's and I don't really care very much if it never gets done.

Winnie

I took a decision a while ago to stay away from all the BTEWs that infest the responses to Thai Visa news stories, and now spend most of my time debating politics and giving/receiving advice from others. This headline caught my eye - after seeing on TV the related story about the newly ordained monk who had killed 2 people in his Mercedes. Thank you for providing a very well written response, that clearly is critical of some Thais and the way Thailand is, but is also understanding (even respectful) of the fact that this is the way it is here, and any critical comments by sanctimonious Expats is irrelevent and pointless.

The thing that I noticed while reading through the responses, is that the vast majority of those who critice/abuse the Thais and Thailand, is mainly the same old BTEW crowd that was here months ago. I can see them now - sucking back their beers while sitting in their chair - venting their frustrations with life by joining the other rabid dogs foaming at the mouth in their criticism of all the stupid and bad things that get reported on TV. As if where they come from is perfect and nothing ever goes wrong and injustice never occurs - but tell them to go back there, and they claim the right to complain. But in my view, many of them no longer live here and did actually leave for whatever reasons (got taken? twice??) - but they wont ever admit yet another failing in their lives - they just abuse and criticise. Sad - and unhealthy. My advice to all BTEWs is to think about those Expats that end up on TV news - they aint those that have accepted life here as it is.

Thank you to the OP for reminding me that Thailand is not perfect, but the reasons I came here, and stay here, remain the same - and also that it is not my job to fix it. I am now going back to the forums that argue politics :) - and see if anyone knows how to get rid of algae in a pond here (methods that worked back home - and the wife's village remedies - have all failed).