Beating The Dreaded Party Hangover

Kan Win

:D

Beating the dreaded party hangover.

thisislondon

by CLAIRE BATES, Mail online Last updated at 09:08am on 1st January 2006

It's the morning after yet another party and your head is pounding. Which hangover cures should you reach for and which ones should you leave in the medicine cabinet? We took a look at the options:

Fruit juice or honey on toast

There is evidence that fructose, a natural sugar found in fruit juice and honey, helps the body to process alcohol faster.

Fruit juice also replaces lost vitamins and boosts your energy levels. If it feels too acidic in the tender hours of the morning, water it down or add it to a fruit smoothie.

Bouillon soup

If you can face a trip to the kitchen, NHS Direct recommends a bowl of Bouillon soup to beat the morning blues. The thin vegetable-based broth is a good source of vitamins and minerals and tops up both salt and potassium levels.

Milk thistle

This herb is a powerful anti-oxidant, it contains an active ingredient called silymarin which protects the liver from alcohol damage.

Capsules can be bought from health food shops, and should be taken alongside a meal.

Water

It sounds obvious but sipping water really is the best hangover remedy. Alcohol dehydrates the body, which causes tiredness, headaches and a dry mouth. Try to drink a pint every hour and you should soon start to feel better.

Pain killers

Pain killers can reduce pounding headaches, however aspirin should be avoided as it can irritate the stomach.

Paracetamol doesn't react with alcohol so this is the preferred option, but it may take a while to work as the body is busy trying to breakdown alcohol. Donit be tempted to take more than the recommended dosage.

Traditional fry-up

An ever popular choice is the Great British fry-up. Nothing seems to quite hit the spot than a takeaway from the local caff.

The good news is that they contain alot of calories giving you a much needed energy boost, while eggs and meat are rich in the amino acid cysteine, which is thought to help clear out toxins.

However, all the extra fat won't do your liver or your digestive system any favours. Try swopping fried meat for grilled and white toast for brown.

Caffeine

A strong cup of coffee first thing may seem like a good idea in your brain fuzzled haze but try and resist it. Dehydration causes the main symptoms of a hangover and caffeine causes dehydration - a recipe for a pounding head.

Hair of the dog

Many swear that having a couple more drinks the morning after can settle a pounding head. However, research shows it only works while you continue drinking - the hangover hel_l returns as soon as you put down your glass and your body has even more alcohol to breakdown!

PREVENTION

You can help yourself the morning after with just a little preparation.

Before you go out on the tiles, eat a substantial meal because the food helps to absorb alcohol giving the body more time to process it.

Intersperse your alcoholic drinks with a few glasses of water through the night and have a pint before you totter off to bed.

Avoid drinks that contain large amounts of congeners (natural by-products of alcohol fermentation), as these tend to cause more severe hangovers. Generally, these are dark-coloured drinks such as red wine, brandy, and port. Gin and vodka have the least congeners.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you any to add……………….? :D

Yours truly, :o

Kan Win :D

Have to disagree with the "Hair of the dog" section.

If you have gone through the morning and you still

feel like <deleted> one (small) beer can help. Unless you

are a severe case you probably won't want another

one too quick.

PS

In Ireland we call that "the cure".

:o

Spicy foods, sweat the demons out.

Here in California many of the Mexicans eat menudo, a tripe and hominy stew that starts spicy. I add more onion, hot sauce, and limes. Once I start eating, the sweats start, and by the end of the bowl (and a shower) ready to roll. Probably cause I'm older now.

Younger days was chili-cheese hot dogs with lots of raw onions.

Yes I have to agree with farangsay, Hair of the dog ( or cure as they call it in Ireland.) is definitely the way to go.

The way we aussies approach it is to keep drinking all through the next day, well at least to the sun goes down, that way if you pass out and go to bed you sleep through your hangover.

Not so bad the next morning if you have a fry up of some description either.

Yes I have to disagree with farangsay, Hair of the dog is definitely the way to go.

The way we aussies approach it is to keep drinking all through the next day, well at least to the sun goes down, that way if you pass out and go to bed you sleep through your hangover.

Not so bad the next morning if you have a fry up of some description either.

I try to drink a couple of glasses of water before going to bed. The only problem with this is if you are really out of it, you'll forgett. Have some water next to the bed so you can sip it once you wake up. One of the best remedies I find, and I have nursed hangover regularly over the last 20 years (sad) is a nice hot shower. I don't know why, but it really does help. Hair of the dog does help, but in my case it's then often a case of just postponing the hangover until the next day. With the Hair of the dog, you have to be disciplined and not get carried away.

Edited by Hadrian1

Six capsules of Ginsana (ginseng extract) or Ginsroy (ginseng extract and royal jelly), available at pharmacies without prescription. Ginsroy capsules are reportedly a little better than the other product.

Best taken before going to sleep, but if you forget it, take it after waking up. Try it and you will see that it works wonders.

---------------

Maestro

Usually I like to start with apologies to anybody within ear distance.

Menudo is best, really any good boullion soup with lots o spices should help with.

The other part is sweat. Drink lots o water and sweat. Just like changing the oil. If you can get yourself to a steam room, do it. Do it!! DOOO IT!! maybe take a potassium supplement.

Vitamin Bs, you have to replace them.

On the comment of eating heaps before signing off. I say do not eat heaps of carbs. A carb headache feels the same as a hangover. Try it. Eat a dinner or late night snack very high in carbs, like bread, popcorn, spaghetti, a couple of cokes then wake up the next morning with a hangover headache. same same except you don't have to apologize.

got nothing to add at this point. but definitely adding this thread to my bookmark!!! grrrr was suffering sooooooo much yesterday after my continuous drinking nights since last thursday

not to mention moree drinks last night

dont ask why I do it. theres always some unavoidable things always happening all at once :o