Experience with FITBIT or similar?

THAIPHUKET

Not impressed here.

I use runtastic and some Thai friends got me a fitbit.

First run I went on, fitbit got the distances wrong.

I do very much like to track my times over distance, so thats a big problem for me.

I tried a few more times but same thing so back in the box.

Heart rate monitor is good as is the sleep monitor but tracking let it down.

Edited by Dagnabbit

Whatever you do, don't buy a Polar HRM.

Used to be great quality and reliable but now overpriced, watch straps disintegrate within 12 months and replacement costs as much as buying the watch in the first place. I was quoted 5,000 baht by the official importer to replace a strap on an RS300X monitor.

To buy the watchstrap on, say, the French Polar website? Just €30

Some friends use them .... but I'm not convinced. The aim seems to be to 'bank' normal day to day activity; such as walking around malls and getting the BTS to work - and then claiming it as 'exercise'.

I don't see them doing any extra exercise, and they seem to be pleased that their normal daily routine has included a certain amount activity and has burned off some calories and use this as an excuse to go out and eat more.

I also have a friend who uses Runtastic - and she uses it to measure her regular runs in the park - this makes more sense to me as her runs are in addition to her normal routine.

I don't like to carry a phone when running - so I use a watch (one of those olde fashioned ones that tells the time) so I can see how it long it takes me to do a couple of laps of Lumpini Park (which is 5 Km). I try to beat my previous time just to keep up my pace. I'd like to run further - but it's too damn hot.

If you want to get something to help keep up interest in exercise - then how about a bike, or a new pair of running shoes, or some weights?

I am a casual runner/cycler, and I use the new Garmin Forerunner 230. As well as step and sleep monitoring (the latter of which I don't use), it also has GPS and a heart rate monitor. When connected via bluetooth to my phone, I can view phone notifications, control the music player, check my calendar and weather with it. I really enjoy the device and find it very useful, so much so I find myself using my regular watch less and less.

If you are a fairly active person anyway, these devices can be very useful. if you are hoping it will inspire you to get up and go, i think you will find in the long term it won't be much help.

I use the Xiaomi Mi Fit. Aside from being very inexpensive, it is consistently accurate in measuring steps (running and walking), sleep and heartbeat. The data I collected over the first month allowed me to tweak my routine by adjusting my goals and measuring my progress in reaching them. Now, a year later? Meh. I'm thinking of renting it out for a month at a time.

I use a Fitbit and it's been life changing for me. Not because it's a kickass training aid, because it's not, but because it motivates me to meet a daily goal. When I exceed the goal I feel I've accomplished something and when I don't I genuinely feel I've let myself down.

If your a serious athlete then anything you put on your wrist probably isn't the perfect training aid but if you're like me with a propensity to be a couch potato then the Fitbit will motivate you and make exercising a goal rather than a chore.

Some friends use them .... but I'm not convinced. The aim seems to be to 'bank' normal day to day activity; such as walking around malls and getting the BTS to work - and then claiming it as 'exercise'.

I don't see them doing any extra exercise, and they seem to be pleased that their normal daily routine has included a certain amount activity and has burned off some calories and use this as an excuse to go out and eat more.

I also have a friend who uses Runtastic - and she uses it to measure her regular runs in the park - this makes more sense to me as her runs are in addition to her normal routine.

I don't like to carry a phone when running - so I use a watch (one of those olde fashioned ones that tells the time) so I can see how it long it takes me to do a couple of laps of Lumpini Park (which is 5 Km). I try to beat my previous time just to keep up my pace. I'd like to run further - but it's too damn hot.

If you want to get something to help keep up interest in exercise - then how about a bike, or a new pair of running shoes, or some weights?

Same here. I'm touching 46 and 5km is more than enough in this weather.

Yesterday was 25m 11s for 5k and temp was 37c.

I think it's enough to just stay fit in this weather and up the speed/distance when it gets closer to 30c in the evenings.

Not impressed here.

I do very much like to track my times over distance, so thats a big problem for me.

Fitbit is a company valued at almost 3 Billion USD on the NY stock exchange. It has sold millions of devices. To say the basic functionality does not work is hard to believe.

I have used many of these devices and they overestimate what you do. If i seriously burned what they say i burned.. I would have been even leaner. These devices as such are not good for keeping real track. They are nice motivational gadgets and if you accept that they over estimate it you can still use them by comparing what you did before and increasing this. Just don't start to eat accordingly or you will get fat.

Not impressed here.

Fitbit is a company valued at almost 3 Billion USD on the NY stock exchange. It has sold millions of devices. To say the basic functionality does not work is hard to believe.

Your point is?

That I come to this forum spreading lies in a vendetta against fitbit?

I own the device. Do you?

Not impressed here.

Your point is?

Yes I do. Did you enter your physical parameters in the app? It works for a million other people so I would suggest the problem is on your end, that is my point.

I use a Fitbit and it's been life changing for me. Not because it's a kickass training aid, because it's not, but because it motivates me to meet a daily goal. When I exceed the goal I feel I've accomplished something and when I don't I genuinely feel I've let myself down.

If your a serious athlete then anything you put on your wrist probably isn't the perfect training aid but if you're like me with a propensity to be a couch potato then the Fitbit will motivate you and make exercising a goal rather than a chore.

That is exactly as it should be used.

Not impressed here.

Your point is?

Yes I do. Did you enter your physical parameters in the app? It works for a million other people so I would suggest the problem is on your end, that is my point.

The device could not track the distance of a run accurately. It has gps and shows the run on a map in the app but the distances are wrong.

Nothing to do with my personal details at all.

I have found that it does provide some motivation to walk more - get in my steps especially since I get the tracking on the computer... and a permanent record is being kept.

However, my first fit bit just suddenly died after 6 months - my second fitbit was not syncing with the computer all the time, rather sporadically...

I don't think I would buy another... but where i am, it would be nice if it would track the temperature and give me a bonus for heat...

Not impressed here.

Your point is?

The device could not track the distance of a run accurately. It has gps and shows the run on a map in the app but the distances are wrong.

Wow that's sad millions can figure it out but you can't.

Maybe get a friend or personal trainer to help you out. I really doubt the GPS is wrong if you are even using that model.

Not impressed here.

Your point is?

Wow that's sad millions can figure it out but you can't.

Maybe get a friend or personal trainer to help you out. I really doubt the GPS is wrong if you are even using that model.

Nope - it's not me and it's not sad.

There's plenty of complaints on line about the issue if you bother to research instead of making misplaced accusations.

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Surge/Incorrect-distance-whilst-running-using-Surge-with-GPS/m-p/1159567

Runtastic on an iPhone is spot on. Fitbit is about 10% out. Fitbit stays in the box.

Not into this fitness thing but I downloaded the Pacer app to my phone for free.

Is it deadly accurate? No idea.

I try and do 10,000 steps every day so I guess it has motivated me a little. I've been in working in a country next door to Thailand for six months and have lost nearly 20kg - down from 113kg when I first got here.

I have to walk everywhere here as the company won't allow us to drive as a matter of policy.

The change of diet probably helps as well.

Had a trip back home for a week recently and checked with my doctor. Cholesterol down to normal levels after having been elevated for 15 years (I ran out of the cholesterol medicine months ago so haven't been taking it). Blood pressure down as well.

I'm averaging about 5 km's a day.....pretty sad for all you fitness freaks...but hey it's working for me with very little effort or commitment.

Should have done it years ago.

I've got the most basic one, which at one level is a glorified pedometer.

Having said that, I use it in conjunction with map my run and my fitness pal apps and they all seem to work together quite well, separating out active steps (or running) versus normal walking. Also pretty cool at seekng how well you sleep.

On a day I'm not running it provides the motivation to get to 10,000 steps.

I'll give Fitbit their due on customer service as well. The battery is supposed to last for 7 days at least. My first one ran out of charge after about 36 hours after owning it for about three weeks. All I did was email them and they sent a new one to my australian address no questions asked. The one issue is they don't post to Thailand if you need a replacement.

Trying to prioritize. I am covering for several surgeries.Happy to walk a few steps, not stairs, still off-limits.

Which one gives a signal to the wrist every x minutes, hours to resume moving? Function comes first,

design , water resistent for a swim second and

price last

BTW just saw http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2016/05/11/better-buy-under-armour-inc-vs-fitbit-inc.aspx?source=yahoo-2&utm_campaign=article&utm_medium=feed&utm_source=yahoo-2

on fitbit in yahoo if anyone is interested in US stocks better-buy-under-armour-inc-vs-fitbit-

I, as the Original Poster assume the right to deviated from my subject coffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

I am using fitbit surge for the past 8 months. I am very happy with it. Of course I miss the waterproof in this watch. So anytime swimming or taking shower I have to remove it. It show all you need. Make some friend who also use fitbit or join the group on their site. It keep pushing me to do more, walk more. I try my best to at least do the 10 000 step needed for everyone in a day.

Great things as once charged it work for few days that is not the case in apple watch or the others.

I've got the most basic one, which at one level is a glorified pedometer.

Having said that, I use it in conjunction with map my run and my fitness pal apps and they all seem to work together quite well, separating out active steps (or running) versus normal walking. Also pretty cool at seekng how well you sleep.

On a day I'm not running it provides the motivation to get to 10,000 steps.

I'll give Fitbit their due on customer service as well. The battery is supposed to last for 7 days at least. My first one ran out of charge after about 36 hours after owning it for about three weeks. All I did was email them and they sent a new one to my australian address no questions asked. The one issue is they don't post to Thailand if you need a replacement.

I am not saying these FITBITs are useless, all I am saying is that the amount they state that we burn is exaggerated. I have had a few versions of the FITBIT, years ago I had one of the first ones that had to be connected to a computer, not a smartphone.

I like them for motivational use and to compare day to day activity, but not as an absolute measure for diet and stuff. All those devices overstate things because that is what people want to see. But i am all for gadgets and new training gear. I know that when I buy some new gear for training it motivates me and helps me to train hard. So its actually good.

I was just talking about the accuracy of burned calories. Also, it did not do much for my rowing machine when I wore it. It really could not get good measurements then. But for walking and such they are great.

What I value most about it (have the Fitbit Surge) is that it gives me a basis to gauge relative physical activity in different living/working environments. I live part of the year in BKK and part in other places, work off and on and have varying access to exercise opportunities. The gadget helps me maintain a minimum level of activity even when working long hours and otherwise limited in movement.

What I value most about it (have the Fitbit Surge) is that it gives me a basis to gauge relative physical activity in different living/working environments. I live part of the year in BKK and part in other places, work off and on and have varying access to exercise opportunities. The gadget helps me maintain a minimum level of activity even when working long hours and otherwise limited in movement.

Yes its good to track that kind of data, those devices certainly have their uses. But the version I had was mainly for walking running. It did not do much for my weightlifting workouts and it was utterly confused by my rowing machine.

Also as i mentioned before it grossly overstated the energy expenditure, I would have loved to have burned those amounts of calories.

But for gauging relative physical activity (mainly walking and running) its great. I did like the sleep tracking too.