serviced apartments

amcab718

If it is your room and you have paid for it just leave them.

I would not let a few items of clothing worry you, i expect they are pretty low down the list of items which a thief would be looking to steal, and if they did whats the worst case scenario? you have to buy a few more to wear.

I have given up worrying about passport, ipdas etc when staying in hotels. I reason i am more likely to lose it carrying it with me and in this day an age i believe most hotels go to lengths to avoid incidents given the power of social media.

love the sarcasm in this site. guess i gotta get used to it. thumbsup.gif

thanks for the advice though, i figured leaving them secure and locked in my extra luggage. don't think they can make that disappear without anyone noticing lol.

thanks for the advice though, i figured leaving them secure and locked in my extra luggage. don't think they can make that disappear without anyone noticing lol.

really smart guy. now, can you figure out how to lock the door?

Your choice to weigh - but usually the only entry to a serviced apartment is by the staff and the potential suspects will be known. Theft anywhere and of anything is possible. It seems an odd question for Thai visa - asking opinions of TV members on a specific apartments level of honesty of the staff... maybe asking at the front office might be a better place - they will know if there is a history and may offer safer quarters to store your valuables..

Post in breach of forum rules removed.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

expensive clothes ... you buy a backpack for ...... rather, in Thailand are also good clothes cheap .... where's your problem. I had nothing stolen in the past 10 years in thailand something .... certainly not clothes

Usually there are some longer term residents in CM's serviced apartments. Now, mind you, many of them are gone now because of the heat and smoke, but just ask around if the building staff has a good reputation. Personally, I'd have no qualms about leaving clothes in a serviced apartment closet for three weeks, if I knew the rent and utilities had been paid during that time. Esp. if they are expensive clothes-- you want to leave the aircon and fans on to keep them from mildewing.

Keep the closet doors open while you're gone, set the aircon to 28 and have a fan circulating in the room with the closet.

Of course, have your electronics, jewelry and sterling silver hidden away. The staff doesn't care about your clothes. Oh, those little safes they put in the closets in hotels and serviced apartments can be broken into in an instant.

I had my new pair of nike tennis shoes stolen after I took them off to enter Wat Muen Ngoen Kong. They were certainly swiped by a farang as they wouldn't fit any Thai. My girl mentioned there were two farang with a thai woman leaving the Wat as we were entering, I hadn't noticed. We waited until everyone left and there was a dilapidated pair of New Balance tennis shoes left behind, two sizes too small for me. Watch out for your shoes when entering the religious shrines.

expensive clothes ... you buy a backpack for ...... rather, in Thailand are also good clothes cheap .... where's your problem. I had nothing stolen in the past 10 years in thailand something .... certainly not clothes

I've never had anything stolen either ... 15 years ... but to some people all "foreigners" (relatively speaking) are conspiring to steal them blind. The market here for used clothing would make stealing clothes a wasted effort. The imagined thieves probably couldn't give them away and I doubt anyone would be impressed with how expensive they allegedly are.

If he doesn't wear cheap clothes, hopefully he's staying in a quality apartment.

I had my new pair of nike tennis shoes stolen after I took them off to enter Wat Muen Ngoen Kong. They were certainly swiped by a farang as they wouldn't fit any Thai. My girl mentioned there were two farang with a thai woman leaving the Wat as we were entering, I hadn't noticed. We waited until everyone left and there was a dilapidated pair of New Balance tennis shoes left behind, two sizes too small for me. Watch out for your shoes when entering the religious shrines.

i always watch my $200 sneakers when i have to remove them at the door. they are too big for a thai but am afraid a poor one may try to sell them at the night market.

People that wear such expensive attire would never stoop down to buy a backpack, for hippy scum only.

Love the backpacking advice.....Seriously...Awesome... Where are the perv old expats that buy nice Sln*t for their thai ladies. Where do you guys stash the goods when you leave on vacation....cheesy.gif

Edited by amcab718

Does ANYONE at the apartment complex even need to know that you will be away for an extended period.

If no-one knows that you are going away .....................................how is it any different to you being there but just out for the day.

Do they service the room daily ???? If not why not just have a TRUSTED friend visit occasionally to mess up the bed to make it look like you are still around

Thanks, gals and guys, i've got it figured out. Just as i was new to the country, better safe than sorry. 'A well informed soldier isn't likely to die in war.' - Don't know who said it, but you get the point. Anyways thanks again.

Now about clothes having mildew if they are left for three weeks, wouldn't a decent dehumidifier solve this problem? And since no one will be there turning anything on or opening any windows or doors, shouldn't be an issue, or should it?

( Some one mentioned mildew in the response above as a worry they had )

Edited by amcab718

IMO there more likely to take a locked bag that feels like its got something in it than taking clothes out of a wardrobe. Even then it wouldnt be real hard to figure out who stole your gear out of a locked serviced apartment now would it. Also unless they are wanna be hi-so im sure they couldnt give a rats what brand or how expensive your clothes are I imagine keeping their job and food on the table would be a greater concern.

I realize my experience may be the exception, however, I would like to share it. I have been coming to and staying 6 months every year for a long time in Thailand. A few years ago I was staying at the Grand President in a one bedroom apartment and noticed my ring was missing. It is a very old ring with 3 rubies and 6 diamonds that was handed down for generations. After a day of frantic searching I thought I would call housekeeping. I didn't have any high aspirations, but thought I had nothing to lose by doing so.

Later that evening housekeeping rang me and said they found the ring and would bring it up to me. I asked where they found it and was told that some of the staff sifted through the garbage collected that day from all 3 towers and that is where they found it. For those that do not know, the G.P. is not a small complex. I assume it fell off my finger as it did fit a little loosely.

I treat the housekeeping staff very well at every place I stay. One can never tell when the kindness and thoughtfulness given to others might just be rewarded!