Krabi locals use bamboo leaves to boost income

rooster59

Krabi locals use bamboo leaves to boost income

Kritsada Mueanhawong

post-247607-0-98399500-1463262566_thumb.

KRABI: This year’s drought is forcing Krabi farmers to diversify their crops.

Boonlap Maepeng, 61, was having trouble producing rubber due to a lack of water when she was approached by a Bangkok businessman looking for dried bamboo leaves, which are used as wrappings for Bak Jang (rice dumplings).

Ms Boonlap now collects bamboo leaves from her entire village in order to meet the increasing demand. She said villagers can earn a lot from the bamboo leaf trade and that it’s good way to supplement their income during the dry season, when rubber collections are not enough.

“They are sun-dried or oven dried during the rainy season,” Ms Boonlap said. “I buy fresh leaves at 15 baht/kg and sell at 40 baht/kg. I sell 800-1000kg/month, which earns us approximately 30,000 baht.”

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Krabi-locals-bamboo-leaves-boost-income/63877?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-05-15

“They are sun-dried or oven dried during the rainy season,” Ms Boonlap said. “I buy fresh leaves at 15 baht/kg and sell at 40 baht/kg. I sell 800-1000kg/month, which earns us approximately 30,000 baht.”

One day they might report with some mathematics that make sense

How can she earn 30 Baht/kilogram when she is buying at 15 Baht and selling at 40 Baht. That is only 25 Baht/kg not taking into account the weight loss from drying.

How can she earn 30 Baht/kilogram when she is buying at 15 Baht and selling at 40 Baht. That is only 25 Baht/kg not taking into account the weight loss from drying.

Right,

It does not make sense. I would estimate a 50% weight loss by drying.

Maths in these reports always confuses me too.

I think she is referring to turnover not profit but even then it would be 32 - 40k Baht.

Right,

C'mon guys according to Thai science and math this is absolute correct! Your first world estimation does not apply here. You still won't believe the earth is a disc.

I had to lecture my students and fellow teachers (Thai) about this with calculating price and profit.

If you are making a product from things that you buy (my students where baking donuts) then you have to calculate everything that you buy (including gas and electricity) when calculating the actual production cost. According to the calculation made by the students and their Thai teacher (she teach accounting) they had a cost of 8 Baht per package. I just had to do a reality check with them about cost and price calculation by adding such things as cooking oil, sugar and cooking gas into the calculation leaving the the real cost closer to 13 Baht per package... they had made and sold 100 pack at 10 Baht for a project and thereby made a whooping 300 Baht loss instead of making a 200 Baht profit that their teacher had told them that they would do...

She's allowing for the income tax that she has to paywhistling.gif

I had to lecture my students and fellow teachers (Thai) about this with calculating price and profit.

If you are making a product from things that you buy (my students where baking donuts) then you have to calculate everything that you buy (including gas and electricity) when calculating the actual production cost. According to the calculation made by the students and their Thai teacher (she teach accounting) they had a cost of 8 Baht per package. I just had to do a reality check with them about cost and price calculation by adding such things as cooking oil, sugar and cooking gas into the calculation leaving the the real cost closer to 13 Baht per package... they had made and sold 100 pack at 10 Baht for a project and thereby made a whooping 300 Baht loss instead of making a 200 Baht profit that their teacher had told them that they would do...

thiais thailand is the answer when one points out. you farang not understand.

;-)

Right,

... it's more like 80% water in an average live plantleaf, if you end up with 25% dryweight you can talk of lots o' luck already ...

Always depending on how dry 'dry' is meant to be of course ... think of tobacco which would be perfectly unuseable if dried totally ... dunno shift about bamboo-leaves though but yes, the above calculation is FUBAR no matter how you look at it as there is no greens which gain weight whilst drying, unfortunately ...

Also, as a matter of fact the leaves on that snakeinfested bamboo-shrubbery just outside my crib (see below) appear not to look at all like the stash she's showing in the topics pic? Are there that different types of bamboo indeed?

post-144189-0-92753100-1463301493_thumb.

Dont knock it folks, lady is giving it a go.

Trying to make a few extra baht.

As we all know Thais and maths do not go together.

My wife ( school director ) was telling me about another school director who had built a small resort

mostly for short time.

He is making 100.000 baht per month wife says, no he is not i say.

His income from the resort is 100.00 but he has costs i.e. wages/ electric/ water/ maintenance etc.

So he is not making 100.000a month, oh he is says wife.

I gave up trying to get her to understand gross income/ net income.

Dont knock it folks, lady is giving it a go.

Trying to make a few extra baht.

As we all know Thais and maths do not go together.

My wife ( school director ) was telling me about another school director who had built a small resort

mostly for short time.

He is making 100.000 baht per month wife says, no he is not i say.

His income from the resort is 100.00 but he has costs i.e. wages/ electric/ water/ maintenance etc.

So he is not making 100.000a month, oh he is says wife.

I gave up trying to get her to understand gross income/ net income.

This is very common. Have same experience.

Archived