64 killed by lightning across Bangladesh, reports say

rooster59

64 killed by lightning across Bangladesh, reports say

DHAKA, Bangladesh (AP) — More than 60 people have been killed by lightning over the past two days during tropical storms across Bangladesh, local media said Saturday.

Most of the 64 lightning deaths since Thursday have occurred in rural Bangladesh, where farmers are busy with the current harvesting season, leading Bengali-language newspapers Prothom Alo and Samakal reported.

The reports of casualties could not be verified independently, with lightning deaths not usually monitored by government agencies.

Experts say increased deforestation and people's exposure to metal equipment like cellphones are the reasons behind lightning deaths in Bangladesh.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-05-15

Allah's response to the hacking killings carried out in his name?

Of course he is. Those crazies are always chanting that it's done because allah wills it. Well maybe they are wrong and allah is striking back laugh.png

people's exposure to metal equipment like cellphones are the reasons behind lightning deaths

I don't believe there's a sufficient increase of conductivity or attraction from a cell phone to the ear.

The awesome voltage of the down lightning strike after the first upward ionization path would happen to anything looking like vertical that was 70% water and probably also sweaty to make it worse.

I could be wrong and often am but phone or no phone you wouldn't catch me in a rice field in a potential storm.

An unfortunate teenager in Australia last year was zapped out of clear blue sky well after the storm had passed.

Lightning is so powerful and erratic.

BTW a computer protection company (against storms)technician told me that Bkk has some of the most powerful lightning current discharges in the world.

Could it be pollution causing better conductivity??

Yes - they aren't making their quota, so he's encouraging them to step up the pace.

I guess Allah saves on virgins if he zaps people before they can go jihad.

Yes - they aren't making their quota, so he's encouraging them to step up the pace.

I guess Allah saves on virgins if he zaps people before they can go jihad.

I read yesterday this guy couldn't wait to die to get to the virgins so he had someone to kill him. Me thinks he was gravely disappointed.

I just wish every strike was hitting those responsible or members of those religious death squads. Even better would be if the strike went straight into the machetes they've and blew out their cold, hard hearts.

Second wish is that these reporters would learn what a tropical storms is. They're always using it to describe severe weather. So just for them: A tropical storm is a tropical cyclone with maximum sustained winds of at least 34 knots (39 mph or 63 kph). Tropical storms are given official names once they reach these wind speeds. Beyond 64 knots (74 mph or 119 kph), a tropical storm is called a hurricane, typhoon, or cyclone based on the storm location. A tropical cyclone has a defined cyclonic rotation and severe thunderstorms around a central low-pressure zone. A tropical cyclone is one step above a tropical depression, but a step below a hurricane in terms of intensity.

I don't know if it was the same storm, but here in Chiang Rai last night it was full tilt. Lightning was pounding an average of once per second. The flashes were so intense, that it was rarely completely dark for more than a half second. When a lightning storm comes along, I turn off my modem, because it's so sensitive, it gets zapped if lightning strikes within 300 meters. Thankfully, the company I bought if from will replace the modem, no charge. I've done it about 7 times over as many years. I've thought of building a grounded cage around it, using copper wire. Several years ago, one of my neighbors had his modem fried by lightning and it wasn't even on at the time. That same lighthing strike vaporized several lengths of copper wire. That's right. The wire wasn't just melted, it was actually gone, with only a trail on the masonry wall to show where it was. That same strike put two 1 inch holes in a six inch solid masonry wall. Lightning is some powerful stuff.

I'd like to know how big lightning is on Jupiter - where that eternal storm 'eye of Jupiter.' Whereas earth borne lighting is about 2 inches wide, ....on Jupiter it could be a foot wide. Who knows?

There are many, many different types of lightning. Good to research for yourself. In USA, the nation's premier lightning research lab is Langmuir Mountain and located at Magdalena, New Mexico---about an hour south of Albuquerque, NM

Florida, with 24 million residents leads the nations in LIGHTNING STRIKES. New Mexico, with 1.5 millions residents leads the nation with per capita lightning deaths---why? Most of the state is 4,000ft altitude and higher. If you live in the clouds, no kidding you will get zapped more.

Google up: Lightning Ranch at PieTown, New Mexico, VLA, Langmuir

Re: Bangladesh---very flat and you do not want to be the tallest object during a charged electrical storm.

RIP to those onto their next adventure....