PM wants students to spend less time in classrooms but more time on critical thinking

webfact

it occurs to me that the large majority of Thaivisa members themselves have no real idea of what critical thinking is - (the is an evidenced-based conclusion from reading posts for a few years!)

this video gives a quick introduction to what is a life-long and life changing process

https://youtu.be/6OLPL5p0fMg

Edited by cumgranosalum

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is worth adding that control of the Ministry of Education and thus control over the national syllabus has been a key battleground in the struggle between the Royalist-Military-Elite nexus on one side and the Parliamentary-Regional Godfather-Grassroots factions on the other since the end of the Second World War.

I think you can forget any real push for critical thinking.

The absolute last thing the Amart/Military want is an educated, critical-thinking Prai. Look what happened in 1932 when a few educated (in the west) "commoners" "saw the light".

Better to keep Somchai dumb, "sufficient" and down on the farm.

This sounds like a small but very positive step in the right direction, and I welcome the announcement. However, such a fundamental change in the education process will require a sustained, long term effort that will require teacher re-training and a re-write of the current curriculum.

There needs to be a well researched roadmap and significant funding to achieve this, so I can only hope this statement is going to be followed up with the necessary resources, comittment and effort to make it happen.

And an openness to criticism after all critical thinking requires you to take an opposing point of view and then work to a common point

I teach my students that they must think by them selves but sadly to say only about 20% of them are really interested.

Even when I just give them a small problem to salve they want clues how to solve it, so then I just tell them that all they need is in the papers that I have given to them or if they want to do it the buffalo way... google it. Usually they try to solve the problem after that conversation as no one wants to be a buffalo...

When I taught at a Thai U, here was one of the patterns: If I asked a question, whether to the whole class or to a specific student, immediately all heads would turn to the one student in the class who had a reputation for knowing answers. I taught 7 different groups of students, and the same dynamic happened in each classroom - that is, until I cautioned them not to do that. There were other odd patterns, but that's one that came to mind when I read the post above.

Critical thinking and criticizing others are not always the same thing!

can you think about that critically..

without criticizing it?

Both terms tend to be intertwined. Unfortunately the term "criticizing" has come to mean "putting down". Criticizing, at its root, encompasses examining a statement or pattern of thought, pointing out the effects of either or both, analyzing why the effects occurred, and, finally, how to make constructive changes in order to achieve outcomes which will benefit the majority of those affected.

That being said, societies in which free thought is emphasized are still struggling to achieve the desired outcomes of critical thinking. Thailand hasn't even stepped up to the plate, let alone started rounding the bases.

Edited by jaltsc

The absolute last thing the Amart/Military want is an educated, critical-thinking Prai. Look what happened in 1932 when a few educated (in the west) "commoners" "saw the light".

Better to keep Somchai dumb, "sufficient" and down on the farm.

Problem for them is, Somchai does not want to be sufficient and down on the farm in this internet era. That toothpaste is not going back in the tube and the sooner they realise this the better.

Schools in crisis as new year begins

Schools in crisis as new year beginsserious shortage of teachers around the country; class hours to be cut.
SOME schools in Krabi province have no teacher at all due to technical problems related to the Education Ministry's recent structural overhaul. The problem persists just as the new academic year for state schools across the country kicks off today.
"There's not a single teacher at some schools here," Narin Saro said late last week as the acting education chief of Krabi, which needed 90 more teachers for its 219 schools.

First off,a good video to reflect and talk around (teachers and students).BUT how are the teachers going to do to try and "translate"this so the students understand this subject.

And yes,PM wish so many things but the bigger part of Thai population just want...sabai sabai.

Have a good day everyone..PM too..;-)

it occurs to me that the large majority of Thaivisa members themselves have no real idea of what critical thinking is - (the is an evidenced-based conclusion from reading posts for a few years!)

this video gives a quick introduction to what is a life-long and life changing process

https://youtu.be/6OLPL5p0fMg

I believe he means "selective critical thinking", with the selections being Science, Math, Engineering, IT, Economy... to win medals in international competitions, but critical thinking is undesired for social issues, tradition, culture, politics,

It is again one of these unreflected Thai shortcuts (we say, "saddle the horse from the back"). Before one can reduce time in classes the school must be able to offer other activities. To be able to develop these actiuvites teachers must be teached/trained how to do and need incentives for it. This needs a well thought longtime planning.

Critical thinking might be the goal, but again to reach it, the teachers must be trained and get tools to teach the children how to think. Can somebody tell me how you can think critically, if you never learnt to think!!!. So the sentence of Mr Ochoa should read like that: "Spend less time in classrooms learning by heart, spend more time learning how to think and use the free time out of the classroom to develop other skills (which could be theater, marching bands, music, sports, painting and so on).

There should be a longtime program starting with teaching the teachers.

One needs to teach teachers first before the students..it's the same problem with expecting drivers to comply..police need to be taught what the rules and how to enforce before expecting drivers to comply...

A vicious cycle that needs to be interrupted

Edited by cardinalblue

Not so long ago the critical thinking students

(14 ) of them were arrested

you can not deny that the younger students wold have seen

this coverage and its result,

forcing conversations into whispers for fear of

attitude adjustment , when students question

reasons it is a way of learning

Please quote the General correctly.

He only advocated critical "THINKING", but in no words did he ask the students, or any other Thai citizen for that matter, to "SPEAK".

Remember his 2nd in command Prawit: " You can think, but you don't talk!"

Schools in crisis as new year begins

Schools in crisis as new year beginsserious shortage of teachers around the country; class hours to be cut.
SOME schools in Krabi province have no teacher at all due to technical problems related to the Education Ministry's recent structural overhaul. The problem persists just as the new academic year for state schools across the country kicks off today.
"There's not a single teacher at some schools here," Narin Saro said late last week as the acting education chief of Krabi, which needed 90 more teachers for its 219 schools.

Who cares about kids?

They don't need education.

Let's keep the money to ourselves instead.

This sounds like a small but very positive step in the right direction, and I welcome the announcement. However, such a fundamental change in the education process will require a sustained, long term effort that will require teacher re-training and a re-write of the current curriculum.

There needs to be a well researched roadmap and significant funding to achieve this, so I can only hope this statement is going to be followed up with the necessary resources, comittment and effort to make it happen.

Actually, i think it would be a massive step, but on past performance one that this admin is incapable of taking, largely because they show little evidence of even understanding what that step is.

Critical thinking !

Isn't being critical a massive No No these days ?

No... not at all!!

Folks can do all the critical "thinking" they want without fear of repression.

It's just when they start writing, speaking, acting, meeting, clicking, etc. that where the trouble begins.

whistling.gif

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Actually, i think it would be a massive step, but on past performance one that this admin is incapable of taking, largely because they show little evidence of even understanding what that step is.

Implementing it would indeed be a massive step - announcing it is a small, but very positive step ;-)

What he wants is unobtainable in the existing education structure. Even if he tore it right down and started again it would take several generations to put things right. Sadly; he has no magic wand, so he just puts his dreams into words and hopes someone who does have one is listening, happens almost every time he speaks !

Critical thinking !

Isn't being critical a massive No No these days ?

No... not at all!!

Folks can do all the critical "thinking" they want without fear of repression.

It's just when they start writing, speaking, acting, meeting, clicking, etc. that where the trouble begins.

whistling.gif

Thank you so much!

I was starting to think that no TV members knew the difference between critical thinking and criticizing things!

I wonder how many know that "Critical Thinking" is actually the name of a reaching method used by most of the world outside Thailand, where students are encouraged to and expected to ask questions?

Thailand still uses the rote method of teaching where students are taught to just repeate like parrots and memorize what is fed to them.

This topic is about teaching methods, not freedom of speech or politics!

It has nothing to do with expressing your opinions about the government or anyone else.

Thank you again!

What is Critical Thinking?

Most have never researched that term.

Wow....HEADACHEfacepalm.gif How about also teaching students, excercise, nature walks, getting some sunshine, understanding boys and girls, men and women...they are different, how to balance a check book, sales, saving, investing, two languages, self defense, empathy, how to make and keep friends, caring for animals, how crime can destroy your life, smoking and drug dangers, and much, much more.

Other Definitions of Critical Thinking:

"Critical thinking is reasonable, reflective thinking that is focused on deciding what to believe and do."

A SUPER-STREAMLINED CONCEPTION OF CRITICAL THINKING
Robert H. Ennis, 6/20/02

Assuming that critical thinking is reasonable reflective thinking focused on deciding what to believe or do, a critical thinker:

1. Is open-minded and mindful of alternatives
2. Tries to be well-informed
3. Judges well the credibility of sources
4. Identifies conclusions, reasons, and assumptions
5. Judges well the quality of an argument, including the acceptability of its reasons, assumptions, and evidence
6. Can well develop and defend a reasonable position
7. Asks appropriate clarifying questions
8. Formulates plausible hypotheses; plans experiments well
9. Defines terms in a way appropriate for the context
10. Draws conclusions when warranted, but with caution
11. Integrates all items in this list when deciding what to believe or do

Critical Thinkers are disposed to:

1. Care that their beliefs be true, and that their decisions be justified; that is, care to "get it right" to the extent possible. This includes the dispositions to

2. Care to present a position honestly and clearly, theirs as well as others'. This includes the dispositions to

a. Seek alternative hypotheses, explanations, conclusions, plans, sources, etc., and be open to them
b. Endorse a position to the extent that, but only to the extent that, it is justified by the information that is available
c. Be well informed
d. Consider seriously other points of view than their own

3. Care about the dignity and worth of every person (a correlative disposition). This includes the dispositions to

a. Be clear about the intended meaning of what is said, written, or otherwise communicated, seeking as much precision as the situation requires
b. Determine, and maintain focus on, the conclusion or question
c. Seek and offer reasons
d. Take into account the total situation
e. Be reflectively aware of their own basic beliefs

Critical Thinking Abilities:

a. Discover and listen to others' view and reasons
b. Avoid intimidating or confusing others with their critical thinking prowess, taking into account others' feelings and level of understanding
c. Be concerned about others' welfare

Ideal critical thinkers have the ability to
(The first three items involve elementary clarification.)

1. Focus on a question

a. Identify or formulate a question

b. Identify or formulate criteria for judging possible answers

c. Keep the situation in mind

2. Analyze arguments

3. Ask and answer questions of clarification and/or challenge, such as,

a. Identify conclusions
b. Identify stated reasons
c. Identify unstated reasons
d. Identify and handle irrelevance
e. See the structure of an argument
f. Summarize

(The next two involve the basis for the decision.)

a. Why?
b. What is your main point?
c. What do you mean by…?
d. What would be an example?
e. What would not be an example (though close to being one)?
f. How does that apply to this case (describe a case, which might well appear to be a counter example)?
g. What difference does it make?
h. What are the facts?
i. Is this what you are saying: ____________?
j. Would you say some more about that?

4. Judge the credibility of a source. Major criteria (but not necessary conditions):

5. Observe, and judge observation reports. Major criteria (but not necessary conditions, except for the first):

a. Expertise
b. Lack of conflict of interest
c. Agreement among sources
d. Reputation
e. Use of established procedures
f. Known risk to reputation
g. Ability to give reasons
h. Careful habits

a. Minimal inferring involved

b. Short time interval between observation and report

c. Report by the observer, rather than someone else (that is, the report is not hearsay)

d. Provision of records.

e. Corroboration

f. Possibility of corroboration

g. Good access

h. Competent employment of technology, if technology is useful

i. Satisfaction by observer (and reporter, if a different person) of the credibility criteria in Ability # 4 above.

(The next three involve inference.)

6. Deduce, and judge deduction

a. Class logic

b. Conditional logic

c. Interpretation of logical terminology in statements, including

(1) Negation and double negation

(2) Necessary and sufficient condition language

(3) Such words as "only", "if and only if", "or", "some", "unless", "not both".

7. Induce, and judge induction

a. To generalizations. Broad considerations:

(1) Typicality of data, including sampling where appropriate

(2) Breadth of coverage

(3) Acceptability of evidence

b. To explanatory conclusions (including hypotheses)

(1) Major types of explanatory conclusions and hypotheses:

(a) Causal claims

(
B)
Claims about the beliefs and attitudes of people

© Interpretation of authors’ intended meanings

(d) Historical claims that certain things happened (including criminal accusations)

(e) Reported definitions

(f) Claims that some proposition is an unstated reason that the person actually used

(2) Characteristic investigative activities

(a) Designing experiments, including planning to control variables

(
B)
Seeking evidence and counter-evidence

© Seeking other possible explanations

(3) Criteria, the first five being essential, the sixth being desirable

(a) The proposed conclusion would explain the evidence

(
B)
The proposed conclusion is consistent with all known facts

© Competitive alternative explanations are inconsistent with facts

(d) The evidence on which the hypothesis depends is acceptable.

(e) A legitimate effort should have been made to uncover counter-evidence

(f) The proposed conclusion seems plausible

I am surprised there are even words for critical thinking in Thai.

The mans lips move and sounds come out, but he knows full well that instructing the Ministry of education to teach critical thinking is like asking an elephant to jump through a high, small hoop - all he is doing is deflecting the blame. Now he can say - "Well I gave the instruction but it wasn't carried out so it is not my fault the sheeple don't know how to criticise!"

Anyone capable of critical thinking, like most of us on this forum, see through him straight away.