PM wants students to spend less time in classrooms but more time on critical thinking

webfact

The PM might be on to something. Finland is becoming quite famous as a country that leads the world in academic achievements of its students on international test results, etc. But Finland also starts school a year later, spends less time in classes, expects students to do less homework, and spends more time outside in "playground" between classes than most other countries. This has been widely discussed in American academic circles but, of course, the USA, being so widely known among its own citizens as already being exceptional, can not follow Finland's example. But Thailand might be able to ignore America's example in so many issues, and instead do what Finland does for better education.

i

What's your source for these curious "fact" ... Or are they merely your perceptions ....?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GREAT heres a start with the critical thinking , theres a big guy in the sky and he made us all, theres no evidence for this or life after death unless you count old atoms being re used.

There are plenty of suggestive definitions from the complex like at criticalthinking.org to the simplistic Who, What, Where, Where, Why, How ? questions. The trouble is you can't impose critical think ability on a culture by fiat where the skills are not valued, let alone where few people know what it is. It is not even clear if the skills can be "taught" or whether the only success is achieved through discovery, discussion and argument, or even simple access to information and facilitated learning. And then there are things like, curiosity, decision making, problem solving,

Sadly" "In your dreams"!

I dont see much in the way of curiosity here at all many simply dont ask anything............who was the first man on the moon?? answer "dont know" end of conversation never ask "who it was then"

Thai teachers and school administrators have been doing all they can to reduce classroom time for many years.

Canceling classes to play games, practice dancing,, put on shows, celebrate any sort of "special day" they can imagine, meetings for teachers, visits from monks.. sport days and practicing for sport days....the list goes on and on.

When I was a teacher in Thailand it was very rare to go a full week without having classes canceled, sometimes full days of teaching canceled, and often with no previously notice.

This is not done to promote critical thinking.

This is done because teachers like to avoid teaching!

AMEN!

I believe he means "selective critical thinking", with the selections being Science, Math, Engineering, IT, Economy... to win medals in international competitions, but critical thinking is undesired for social issues, tradition, culture, politics,

Finally, nearly at page three someone gets it.

"What does he or they know about critical thinking?" and "It'll never happen" etc.

Most posts seem to assume he's talking about critical thinking. Don't be silly. He also pontificated about democracy and transparency, remember? And were they anything to do with the English words commonly used by reasonable people and their respective, accepted meanings as well?

First you have to find someone who can think critically to make a textbook. And not one full of multiple choice questions with either several or no right answers per question.

So true, the number of times I've been asked to check test / quiz papers written in English with this problem and then trying to get the Thai teacher to actually recognise the mistake is astounding, "but but but - that's the answer -- sure and so is this answer" - "and that's not a correct answer" - "but that's what I've taught them"

I would say that critical and thinking in the one sentence is a conflict in terms.

At first Gen. Prayut: just stop to prosecute and punish people who not follow your ideas but express their concern!

How you want to encourage students on critical thinking while if they talk open they have to fear all the lawys you set up to make all people muzzled.

AND the students and children have to learn to think critical and this has to be done from the very beginning from the parents and later the teachers. But there is no culture of critical thinking here in this country!

So well all the words are good for nothing as mostly....but sure yes the school administators should pay attention on things that are so very unimportant but they are forced to spread distrust in between the students and control them! The whole system is just set up on control: no was of pushing critical thinking!

'...thinking and learning, said Maj-Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd,'

I won't comment on the '..critical..' since what I think has already been said here, but '...and learning,..'??? Oh, so they admit student's aren't learning in class? Oh boy, taken them a long time to see that. My experiences echo those of poster Wiliyumiii where finally I said enough was enough and declined to teach at Vocational school (อาชีว, achiwa) after the end of my third arrangement. Other foreign teachers there took the same action. It was a joke. Today, the content of science, engineering etc. is expanding rapidly and is going to require more study time both in the classroom and in the field, not less. Oh well, it's their country and I'm just...well you know.

Critical thinking !

Isn't being critical a massive No No these days ?

From what I have observed, rolleyes.gif Thais, both students and their elders, spend far more time in critical drinking than in critical thinking.

The government has been saying they want critical thinking taught in Thai schools for many years now.

The problem is in the higher education system itself.

New teachers, fresh out of the university, have never been exposed to critical thinking and have no idea of what it even is.

They are still being instructed on how to use the rote method of teaching in the universities.

As a result, teachers, both new and old are ignoring the governments instructions to start using the critical thinking method of teaching.

A change to using the critical thinking method needs to start at the top with the teachers.

They can not be expected to use a method of teaching that they have not learned themselves.

Worse than that. The underlying reason is cultural. Critical thinking would force them to face up to realities, to question the validity of information they receive and most importantly not simply accept some bullshit comment that's ridiculous just because someone whose perceived to be more senior, more knowledgeable and from a superior class level utters it.

It would force them to accept conflict is not always a bad thing; and that no one has a monopoly in always being right.

The Thai language might not facilitate the sort of discussions needed because it hasn't evolved that way because those discussions have been totally avoided.

I sat in a class a few years ago, with an American visiting professor, at doctorate level He had asked for certain papers to be read, and some pre-class research, and for discussions to be held. The topic was critical thinking. The Europeans in the class had prepared as requested, and were engaged. The Thais had not prepared at all, were visibly uncomfortable with the whole subject and some of them disappeared after lunch!

Introducing critical thinking is a massive cultural as well as educational undertaking. A few nice words will be as successful as the fight against corruption has been.

This man is an uneducated coup leader.

Hardly in a position to advise on matters of learning .

And the last lot were even worse with their procession of so called Ministers of Education.

But the reform of the Thai education system into one where critical thinking is integral won't happen because some politician or bureaucrat says it's a good idea.

A massive change in culture.

Critical thinking, as long as it's not about the Junta

So many on who post on this topic can not seem to grasp the reality of the situation.

It is O.K. to think critically about the current government, or " junta" as you have referred to it.

It is not O.K. to publicly express those thoughts.

It's pretty simple...is it clear?

So many on who post on this topic can not seem to grasp the reality of the situation.

It is O.K. to think critically about the current government, or " junta" as you have referred to it.

No, it's not clear at all. But let me see if I can dumb it down for myself as you seem to think anybody who expresses an opinion or view that doesn't exactly match your own views needs some kind of education/ qualification or clarification from yourself. By the way, who did appoint you in this educational role or have you assumed it based on your own high regard of yourself?

1. Critical thinking good.

2. Freedom of speech not good if it means expressing your critical thinking regarding the Junta.

There, is that okay?

Let's take a look at part of the neural net involved in becoming a better thinker, a critical thinker. How does each of these skills get taught as a child grows and matures? What role do parents play? What role do teachers play? What role do smartphones and LINE play? People on this forum are forever talking about the dysfunctional education system in Thailand and PM and others in government are forever making proclamations about what needs to be done and more recently "critical thinking" has become the hot topic of the day.

But there is a problem: What is generally thought to be critical thinking is a farang invention beginning with the Greeks, and coming to full bloom beginning in the 17th century in Europe and later in America. The truth be told, it is only in the last 30 years that Thailand began to understand that the path for the past 500 years does not allow for a transition into the modern world.

But the PM is also aware that none of Thailand's teachers were every exposed to critical thinking, let alone capable of teaching it. So he has suggested an end around; have the students spend time outside the classroom learning how to do this magical thing. But here is the second problem: One does not go sit down in KFC and by magic know how to "critically think."

1a08680c-ca86-43a8-be1f-08286b38c492imag

No, it's not clear at all. But let me see if I can dumb it down for myself as you seem to think anybody who expresses an opinion or view that doesn't exactly match your own views needs some kind of education/ qualification or clarification from yourself. By the way, who did appoint you in this educational role or have you assumed it based on your own high regard of yourself?

2. Freedom of speech not good if it means expressing your critical thinking regarding the Junta.

There, is that okay?

You are so close to understanding that I am proud of you!

Try this:

Critical thinking and freedom of speech are to unrelated issues.

Critical Thinking is a teaching method never used in Thailand up to this point.

In this case, it is not a method of thinking.

Freedom of speech is not a right in this country

I'm glad to have been of assistance.wai.gif

There, is that okay?

Try this:

I am glad for your sake you are not an 'educator' at my daughter's school based on that patronising flapdoodle.

There, is that okay?

Try this:

I am glad for your sake you are not an 'educator' at my daughter's school based on that patronising flapdoodle.

"Flapdoodle"! Love it!

Without education you have no critical thinking, but what you do have is a lot of sheep....LOS will now stand for; Land of Stupidly...

Or perhaps Land of Sheep.

More like land of sleep (anywhere, anytime, anybody)