Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

Phew! That was hard work but we got there in the end.Lampard continues to struggle and his passing is way below what it should be.Too many times,especially in the first half,his final ball into the penalty area was off target or too strong.Maybe he needs to sit out a few games on the subs bench.Drogba was at his most irritatating but brilliant best.His assists in the two goals were superb but what a tart he is! Liverpool can feel hard done by with the result as the controlled a lot of the game.If it wasn't for Essien,who was my man of the match,our midfield could have been overrun.He was brilliant in breaking up attacks and steaming on to put Liverpool on the back foot.

Deco started slowly but got better and Ballack had a good game.Deco looks much fitter than last season.The defence had to be superb and they were,especially Terry and Ashley Cole.Hilario surprised me. Was it that bright orange jersey that made him look like a beach ball last week,or has he shed two stone in seven days?He brought off a couple of outstanding saves.

And here I thought you weren't allowed to watch it OG? Something about house rules.

Phew! That was hard work but we got there in the end.Lampard continues to struggle and his passing is way below what it should be.Too many times,especially in the first half,his final ball into the penalty area was off target or too strong.Maybe he needs to sit out a few games on the subs bench.Drogba was at his most irritatating but brilliant best.His assists in the two goals were superb but what a tart he is! Liverpool can feel hard done by with the result as the controlled a lot of the game.If it wasn't for Essien,who was my man of the match,our midfield could have been overrun.He was brilliant in breaking up attacks and steaming on to put Liverpool on the back foot.

Deco started slowly but got better and Ballack had a good game.Deco looks much fitter than last season.The defence had to be superb and they were,especially Terry and Ashley Cole.Hilario surprised me. Was it that bright orange jersey that made him look like a beach ball last week,or has he shed two stone in seven days?He brought off a couple of outstanding saves.

And here I thought you weren't allowed to watch it OG? Something about house rules.

Only while we were on holiday in Samui,Jimbo.When we are back in the village,I'm the guvnor.....sort of :)

• 2 weeks later...

Another defeat on the road. Clearly this year is not going to be the walk in the park for us as a lot of commentators were saying after the first few games of the season. I think the Premier League is now the most competitive it has ever been and the title could easily go to one of 4 teams...sorry that does not include the Scousers :) Normally it is narrowed down to 2 teams after a while.

The common denominator this season appears to be no Ballack = Chelsea struggle

Not sure what is going on with Frank, I thought perhaps he was just being unlucky but looking at his shooting last night suggests otherwise.

Still think we are lacking creativity in the wider areas and although Malouda has improved he is still too average.

Anyway looks like it is going to be a roller coaster at the top this year.

Another defeat on the road. Clearly this year is not going to be the walk in the park for us as a lot of commentators were saying after the first few games of the season. I think the Premier League is now the most competitive it has ever been and the title could easily go to one of 4 teams...sorry that does not include the Scousers :) Normally it is narrowed down to 2 teams after a while.

The common denominator this season appears to be no Ballack = Chelsea struggle

Not sure what is going on with Frank, I thought perhaps he was just being unlucky but looking at his shooting last night suggests otherwise.

Still think we are lacking creativity in the wider areas and although Malouda has improved he is still too average.

Anyway looks like it is going to be a roller coaster at the top this year.

Schoolboy defending at set pieces,yet again,cost us the game.How is it that logs of wood like Dunne,Collins and Bramble put the fear of Christ into us in our penalty area?Cech was no where to be seen for the second goal.We've got too many shirking responsibility in the area.Terry was jumping up and down in frustration when the second goal went in.

Chelsea didnt play too badly but the defending was woeful allowing Dunne and Collins free headers.

Lampard,too,seems to be a bit stale this season and the team has been together a long while now....maybe ageing a bit overall.

But very interesting at the top....United,Chelsea,Arsenal and City will all fancy their chances of the title.....Spurs,not quite good enough same as Liverpool I'm afraid.

Very satisfactory performance from the team after a few early scares from Forlan and Aguero where Cech had to pull off some smart saves.Ancellotti opted to start with a 4-1-3-2 formation with Essien in his standard anchor role and Ballack,Lampard and Deco operating in front of him,the width being provided by Ashley Cole and Belletti.This system freed up Lampard which suited him much better.He got better as the game wore on.You could see his confidence returning with the reward of a goal.Surprisingly,Kalou was the main target man with Anelka dragging defenders wide.Atletico were never going to be a threat in the air at set pieces,as their back four are pretty small.Terry and Ivanovic,who was in for the 'fall guy',Cavalho,had an easy time of it in this department.Belletti had one of his best games for Chelsea with his no nonsense tackling (unlike that fairy,Bosingwa) and bursts down the flanks.Good to see Kalou get a couple after his howler of a miss in the first half when,even I could have slotted THAT one home.Ballack was outstanding with his self less running off the ball and workrate.There is still a worry of our lack of pace in midfield although Deco does look a lot fitter this season.

I would like to see the same back four adopted against Blackburn who WILL be a threat from set pieces.

Kalou attitude delights Ancelotti

Chelsea coach Carlo Ancelotti praised the persistence of Salomon Kalou after he scored twice in the 4-0 Champions League victory over Atletico Madrid.

Kalou replaced the suspended Didier Drogba and missed a great chance before finally breaking the deadlock.

"Kalou is an important player for us because when we are without Drogba he can play and do well," said Ancelotti.

"He made a big mistake at the start, but he maintained good motivation and focus to score twice after that."

Kalou's early opportunity came after Deco and Michael Ballack cut open the Atletico defence but the Ivory Coast striker shot wide from 14 yards.

He finally opened the scoring when he converted a drilled cross from Ashley Cole and added Chelsea's second with a header after the restart.

"Kalou is a very good player," added Ancelotti.

"For him, it was very important to score. Also for us. He played very well for us."

It was Kalou's first appearance since the 1-0 win at Apoel Nicosia on 30 September and the striker admitted that his brace would help to boost his self-belief.

"After not playing a couple of games, to come back into the team it was important for me to get confidence back by scoring," said Kalou.

"It was very important to win that game because it gave us nine points. It's good to get confidence back by winning and everyone gave his best and we have the result in the end."

A long-range strike from Frank Lampard and a stoppage-time own goal completed the scoring.

It was Lampard's first goal for Chelsea since 18 August and took his tally for the club to 133, one more than Jimmy Greaves.

"I'm happy for Lampard, for sure," added Ancelotti.

"I think that Lampard is not only important scoring goals. He's important because he works for 90 minutes on the pitch for the team.

"He's very generous, an unselfish player, and for me that's important. Yes, if he scores it's better, but I want to speak about Lampard for his work, not just for his goals."

Chelsea have now won all three of their group games and are on the cusp of qualification for the knock-out stage.

"We are in control now of this group, but our aim is to arrive in first place," said Ancelotti.

"We have to secure more points in the group. It's not been easy without suspended Didier Drogba, but all the players have done very well in this competition so far."

The victory came days after the Blues lost at Aston Villa and the Italian concluded: "We had a very good reaction and played very well.

"We played well for 90 minutes without problems. I am happy.

The result heaps the pressure on Atletico Madrid coach Abel Resino, whose team have one point from three group games and are struggling in La Liga.

"It's one of those bitter tastes of football," said Resino after the defeat.

"Over the game I would say we had as many clear chances as Chelsea but the ball just wouldn't go into the net.

"But I am a fighter. I am not going to throw the towel in. With one result the confidence will begin to change."

Kalou attitude delights Ancelotti

Chelsea coach Carlo Ancelotti praised the persistence of Salomon Kalou after he scored twice in the 4-0 Champions League victory over Atletico Madrid.

Kalou replaced the suspended Didier Drogba and missed a great chance before finally breaking the deadlock.

"Kalou is an important player for us because when we are without Drogba he can play and do well," said Ancelotti.

"He made a big mistake at the start, but he maintained good motivation and focus to score twice after that."

Kalou's early opportunity came after Deco and Michael Ballack cut open the Atletico defence but the Ivory Coast striker shot wide from 14 yards.

He finally opened the scoring when he converted a drilled cross from Ashley Cole and added Chelsea's second with a header after the restart.

"Kalou is a very good player," added Ancelotti.

"For him, it was very important to score. Also for us. He played very well for us."

It was Kalou's first appearance since the 1-0 win at Apoel Nicosia on 30 September and the striker admitted that his brace would help to boost his self-belief.

"After not playing a couple of games, to come back into the team it was important for me to get confidence back by scoring," said Kalou.

"It was very important to win that game because it gave us nine points. It's good to get confidence back by winning and everyone gave his best and we have the result in the end."

A long-range strike from Frank Lampard and a stoppage-time own goal completed the scoring.

It was Lampard's first goal for Chelsea since 18 August and took his tally for the club to 133, one more than Jimmy Greaves.

"I'm happy for Lampard, for sure," added Ancelotti.

"I think that Lampard is not only important scoring goals. He's important because he works for 90 minutes on the pitch for the team.

"He's very generous, an unselfish player, and for me that's important. Yes, if he scores it's better, but I want to speak about Lampard for his work, not just for his goals."

Chelsea have now won all three of their group games and are on the cusp of qualification for the knock-out stage.

"We are in control now of this group, but our aim is to arrive in first place," said Ancelotti.

"We have to secure more points in the group. It's not been easy without suspended Didier Drogba, but all the players have done very well in this competition so far."

The victory came days after the Blues lost at Aston Villa and the Italian concluded: "We had a very good reaction and played very well.

"We played well for 90 minutes without problems. I am happy.

The result heaps the pressure on Atletico Madrid coach Abel Resino, whose team have one point from three group games and are struggling in La Liga.

"It's one of those bitter tastes of football," said Resino after the defeat.

"Over the game I would say we had as many clear chances as Chelsea but the ball just wouldn't go into the net.

"But I am a fighter. I am not going to throw the towel in. With one result the confidence will begin to change."

Over the course of his Chelsea career,Kalou has been brilliant at times and frustrating at other times.This is because he's a confidence player.The more games he gets,the more his confidence rises.He should be made more use of because he's got bundles of talent.The same can be said of Malouda,absolutely brilliant at the end of last season when he was playing regularly but not so effective now he is on the sidelines.However,he will get plenty of games when the African Nations Cup is on.How do you think Joey Cole will do now he's back,Sea'?

The Independant newspaper U.K

January window to be opened for Chelsea

Ancelotti set for shopping spree as club's appeal leaves Fifa with no option but to suspend transfer ban

By Mark Fleming and Sam Wallace

Friday, 23 October 2009

Chelsea should be back in the transfer market in January after Fifa conceded that it is virtually powerless to prevent the suspension of the club's transfer ban while they await the result of the appeal against the judgement at the Court of Arbitration in Sport in Switzerland.

The decision should allow the club's manager, Carlo Ancelotti, to sign players to cover for any potential injury problems come January, which would be exacerbated by the loss of four key players to the African Cup of Nations that month. Chelsea have pointed to an important precedent in Swiss football when a punishment was suspended pending a ruling from the CAS.

Ancelotti returned to Italy yesterday to visit his father Giuseppe, 86, a former farmhand with his own smallholding, who has been ill. It is expected that he will return to take charge of the team for tomorrow's game against Blackburn Rovers but, in the meantime, his assistant Ray Wilkins is doing the weekly press conference this morning.

Chelsea have been so sensitive about their attempts to get the ban suspended that they have not even formally announced their appeal. The news that they had requested the suspension of the ban came out on Wednesday night from the CAS just before Chelsea were due to play Atletico Madrid in the Champions League. Chelsea hope to get the good news in two weeks' time when the CAS has considered the club's written submissions.

Chelsea were banned last month from signing any players until 2011 as part of a punishment for what Fifa claimed was the club inducing Gaël Kakuta to break the terms of his contract with the French club Lens in 2007. Chelsea have always claimed that the contract aspirant Kakuta signed with Lens was not legally binding and therefore they could not be accused of inducing him to break it.

Whether Chelsea can get the judgement overturned by the CAS is debatable. But the suspension of it for January will give them the chance to make vital signings if they find themselves in a difficult position at the turn of the year. They are already in a position where they will have to cope without Didier Drogba, Michael Essien, John Obi Mikel and Salomon Kalou, who will be on international duty in Angola.

The precedent which Chelsea believe will permit them to get the ban suspended for January involves the case of the Swiss club FC Sion's controversial acquisition of the Egypt international goalkeeper Essam El Hadary. FC Sion were banned by Fifa from transfers for two transfer windows for their part in it and fined. The player was given a four-month ban on the grounds that he has broken his contract with the Egyptian side Al-Ahly.

In July, both the player's and the club's punishments were suspended pending El Hadary's appeal to the CAS. Fifa accepted the temporary suspension of punishments, saying in a statement at the time: "CAS granted the suspension, which is standard practice in cases of this kind and complies with CAS jurisprudence." The case has yet to be heard by the CAS.

The CAS moves slowly and setting a date at which Chelsea and Fifa's lawyers will all be available will be difficult. The court itself is booked up to December with few spare days until the end of the year. The chances of the case being heard before the transfer window opens in January are said to be remote.

Because of the unique way in which football works, should Chelsea be exonerated by the CAS in, for example, February, therewould be no way that they could then go about acquiring the players they would like to have bought in January. These factors all contribute towards the likelihood of them being successful in their attempt to have the ban suspended for this January.

Fifa was last night consulting its lawyers on the matter and refused to comment. The governing body is well aware that it made a huge decision with repercussions for the major European clubs when it gave Chelsea a transfer ban until 2011 in September. Fifa can ill afford to lose the case. Kakuta himself has already begun serving his own four-month ban.

Yesterday, Fifa also announced it will step up measures to prevent countries from fielding over-age players in international youth tournaments.

At the Under-17 World Cup in Nigeria this weekend, medical officers will take MRI scans of players' wrists. They will be able to determine a player's age by examining the fusion of bones. Despite protests about the reliability of the tests, the Nigerian football association has already dropped 15 boys from the national squad.

Shopping list: Who Chelsea may sign

Emile Heskey, Aston Villa

Cover for strikers. Wants a move and not Champions League cup-tied.

Connor Wickham, Ipswich Town

At 16 he is already in the Ipswich first team. Most promising English player of his age group. How could Frank Arnesen resist?

Alex Teixeira, Vasco da Gama

The 19-year-old playmaker is the next big thing from Brazil.

Unquote

Ref url:- http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/footbal...ea-1807459.html

marshbags :)

Edited by marshbags

Emile Heskey? No thanks,Marshy,we've got enough players with delicate dispositions thankyou! There are plenty of talented players around without resorting to the 'obvious' because they happen to be on our doorstep.I would prefer for Chelsea to look further afield and for our scouting operation to earn their corn.

The only thing I can say about last nights match is that Chelsea played their normal attacking game at home and Blackburn put up their normal toothless,dispirited display away from home.Allardyce has got big problems because this set of players are slow and clueless.Even more alarming is when a player like David Dunn is deemed essential and vital to their team's performance.

Would be just like signing a new player, Joey was immense at the weekend, nice to see the tricks coming back also :)

Cole ready to sign deal

Chelsea midfielder Joe Cole has confirmed that he wants to stay at Stamford Bridge.

The England star made a triumphant return to the first XI at the weekend, after nine months on the sidelines with a knee injury.

Now, after playing under Carlo Ancelotti for the first time, Cole insists that he has no plans to quit the West London giants - despite reports to the contrary in recent months.

Cole's current deal expires next summer and Chelsea are anxious to tie him down to a long-term contract.

"We're talking at the moment about the future and we all agree what we want," he told The Daily Mirror.

"I love it here. The club want me to stay, so there should be no problems.

"I feel like this is my home."

Would be just like signing a new player, Joey was immense at the weekend, nice to see the tricks coming back also :)

Cole ready to sign deal

Chelsea midfielder Joe Cole has confirmed that he wants to stay at Stamford Bridge.

The England star made a triumphant return to the first XI at the weekend, after nine months on the sidelines with a knee injury.

Now, after playing under Carlo Ancelotti for the first time, Cole insists that he has no plans to quit the West London giants - despite reports to the contrary in recent months.

Cole's current deal expires next summer and Chelsea are anxious to tie him down to a long-term contract.

"We're talking at the moment about the future and we all agree what we want," he told The Daily Mirror.

"I love it here. The club want me to stay, so there should be no problems.

"I feel like this is my home."

Agreed ,mate,but there will bigger tests to come for Joey boy to show us his rate of progress than this shower of Blackburn <deleted>.Probably starting at Bolton this weekend where they will be a different proposition than at the Bridge last night.

Another star man performance from Joey, talk about hitting the road running, just hope he doesn't burn himself out, would be great if he kept this form up to get him back into the England fold.

Malouda hails goal threat

Florent Malouda believes Chelsea's ability to score goals from every area of the pitch will prove to be their greatest asset this season.

The 29-year-old scored his third of the season in the 4-0 win over Bolton in the Carling Cup on Wednesday, taking the club's goal tally this week from their three games to 13.

Carlo Ancelotti's men have scored 35 times from their 17 games in all competitions so far this season, with 10 different players managing to get on the scoresheet.

The Frenchman believes that the size of the squad at Stamford Bridge will ensure that the high scoring rate continues for the whole season.

"The threat comes from everywhere in our team and that's going to be our strength this season," he told the London Evening Standard.

"We don't have to depend on one player. Obviously in a season you can have moments when someone is not in form or has the capacity to score.

"As you can see, we have quality throughout the squad. It's important every player shows it when he has an opportunity to do so. That's our strength at the moment because people are doing just that.

"Everyone can score with the movement we have and the quality of our passing game. We have improved a lot with the system.

"At the start of the season we were winning with a bit of difficulty and with one goal being the difference. At the moment we're scoring a lot of goals and we're playing well. We have to maintain that high quality."

Blues start Cole deal talks

Chelsea chief executive Ron Gourlay has confirmed talks have started to reward midfielder Joe Cole with a new contract.

Cole's current deal expires at the end of the season and he recently made a successful return to the Blues team after nine months on the sidelines with a knee injury.

The England international, who turns 28 on Sunday, has expressed a desire to sign a new deal, while manager Carlo Ancelotti wants the former West Ham United youngster to stay at Stamford Bridge.

New chief executive Gourlay has revealed discussions have started with Cole and he is optimistic an agreement can be reached.

"We are already in discussions with Joe," Gourlay told Chelsea TV.

"The situation is that he is coming to the end of his contract, he is 28-years-old on the day of the Manchester United game and we're entering into the period where Joe is looking to negotiate his new contract.

"That process has started, Joe has made it very clear that he wants to stay with the football club and I'm sure in the coming months we will be able to work something out."

The current Premier League leaders are also appealing Fifa's ban on signing players until 2011, imposed in September after they were found guilty of illegally inducing French player Gael Kakuta to join them.

Gourlay feels Chelsea have "a strong case" and, asked about his role in potential transfer targets, he added: "We have a football club board.

"If there is an opportunity to buy a player who's key to taking us forward and fits in with the team we will decide between the group who's best on a case-by-case situation to deal with that.

"The next five years are going to be very, very challenging. We entered into a 10-year plan, we've set our goals very high, I would like to see us keep playing the exciting football we are doing - I know that's close to the owner's heart - and we've got to win things.

"At boardroom level we've got to continue winning trophies. There is an expectation at Chelsea every time we cross the white line. We are expected to be in the mix in every competition we enter.

"That's how we have positioned ourselves as a football club and that's how we are portrayed. There's a lot of energy around the place and we are in a good position to support the coach and deliver the things we need to deliver."

A terrific game of football that had thrills,spills and,of course, controversy.A great advertisement for the Premier League.United were unfortunate that they didn't get anything from the game because they dominated possession so our defence had to be at its best.Terry,Cavalho (he couldn't pass wind,his delivery is woeful),Ashley C and Ivanovic were outstanding at keeping their attack at bay.Our midfield was made to look ponderous at times and the problem of our lack of pace there, resurfaced again.Against the really quick sides, we are going to get shown up.The man marking of Essien by Anderson meant that he had to leave his normal deep position to move around to escape Anderson's attentions.This left our back four exposed at times.I don't like the man but I thought Rooney was a constant worry with his movement, deft flicks and touches.The goal was a terrific header by Terry and with all the pushing,grabbing and shoving going on in the penalty area,there just HAD to be a talking point.I thought Drogba was offside for the goal until I saw on the replay Brown sprawled at his feet. The sly nudges,elbows and diving going on at set pieces by players have made it very difficult for referrees to judge an infringement.Their 'professionalism' in these situations means that the referree is conned into making the wrong decision too many times.

A terrific game of football that had thrills,spills and,of course, controversy.A great advertisement for the Premier League.United were unfortunate that they didn't get anything from the game because they dominated possession so our defence had to be at its best.Terry,Cavalho (he couldn't pass wind,his delivery is woeful),Ashley C and Ivanovic were outstanding at keeping their attack at bay.Our midfield was made to look ponderous at times and the problem of our lack of pace there, resurfaced again.Against the really quick sides, we are going to get shown up.The man marking of Essien by Anderson meant that he had to leave his normal deep position to move around to escape Anderson's attentions.This left our back four exposed at times.I don't like the man but I thought Rooney was a constant worry with his movement, deft flicks and touches.The goal was a terrific header by Terry and with all the pushing,grabbing and shoving going on in the penalty area,there just HAD to be a talking point.I thought Drogba was offside for the goal until I saw on the replay Brown sprawled at his feet. The sly nudges,elbows and diving going on at set pieces by players have made it very difficult for referrees to judge an infringement.Their 'professionalism' in these situations means that the referree is conned into making the wrong decision too many times.

Good post OG. Yep, could have watched another 90 mins of that match.

ANOTHER 90 minutes? No thanks,Jimbo,that would have too much for me.

Yea, but you weren't 1-0 down mate. :)

ANOTHER 90 minutes? No thanks,Jimbo,that would have too much for me.

Looks like we may have a very weakened team in 2 weeks time against the Arse(nal).

No Terry (although not sure the seriousness of his injury), Lampard (would appear to be definately out) and Drogba ('Sun' says xrays show Evans fractured his rib).

Also no Bosingwa and what about A Cole?

That's half our strongest team. Oh well will give me even more pleasure when we come away with something from the game.

Hi All.

For sure Evans should should have got a Red Card,In fact I think After the Chelsea goal the M.U Team were a disgrace to the game of football every one of them were guilty of violent conduct, I suppose that is the measure of Ferguson's influence on Referee's.

I still get sleepless nights when I think of Tom Henning Robredo.

phupaman

Fergie has never been gracious in defeat, I hate to say it but he is a born winner and no one likes to lose, you can't knock him for what he has achieved. It was funny seeing him all pally with Ancelotti before the game but after he was at his raging pisshead best! haha

We do seem to have a few injuries building up and important players at that also, JT was saying in the press today we need to buy in January to bolster the squad especially as the African boys will be going for a month, we need three players, a top quality defender, midfield mastro and an out and out goal scorer...I would like Augero would be ideal, a bit on the small side but he showed what he can do against us a couple of weeks ago. Sergio Ramos would be an excellent choice at the back and there is talk of nicking Rodwell off the Toffees, all 3 players are under 24 so that would also help our ageing side, I can't understand the talk of getting Pirlo, he is past his best now, why pay 20 mil for such a player? we've been burnt too many times when getting old players in the past.

Fergie has never been gracious in defeat, I hate to say it but he is a born winner and no one likes to lose, you can't knock him for what he has achieved. It was funny seeing him all pally with Ancelotti before the game but after he was at his raging pisshead best! haha

We do seem to have a few injuries building up and important players at that also, JT was saying in the press today we need to buy in January to bolster the squad especially as the African boys will be going for a month, we need three players, a top quality defender, midfield mastro and an out and out goal scorer...I would like Augero would be ideal, a bit on the small side but he showed what he can do against us a couple of weeks ago. Sergio Ramos would be an excellent choice at the back and there is talk of nicking Rodwell off the Toffees, all 3 players are under 24 so that would also help our ageing side, I can't understand the talk of getting Pirlo, he is past his best now, why pay 20 mil for such a player? we've been burnt too many times when getting old players in the past.

Well,my old mate,I hope that it's only the media that is talking up Rodwell because I think he is one of the most overrated players in the Premier League.He's desperately slow with a modicum of on-the-ball talent.Mateus Fernandez is a young Chilean midfielder who I have been impressed with in their World Cup qualifying campaign. Plenty of pace and trickery.I also like Ivan Rakitic who plays for Schalke.These young players are guaranteed to improve in our set up.Up front,I agree with you about Aguerro.A terrific player with a turn of foot.

Brilliant home record, just hope we can do the gooners next week!

Chelsea 4 - 0 Wolverhampton

Chelsea ran riot to rout strugglers Wolves and retain a five-point lead at the top of the Premier League.

It was a stellar Blues display despite a host of absences, kick-started by Florent Malouda's 22-yard strike.

Michael Essien then grabbed two in 10 minutes, heading home unmarked and squeezing in from the edge of the area, before Joe Cole clipped in on the hour.

Wolves came closest when Petr Cech kept out Sylvan Ebanks-Blake's header, but in truth they could have lost by more.

The victory briefly extended Chelsea's lead at the top of the table to eight points thanks to Arsenal's defeat at Sunderland but Manchester United beat Everton 3-0 in the late match to close the gap.

However, Chelsea, even at this early stage, appear favourites to win their first championship since 2006.

Their excellent return of 33 points from a possible 39 has been borne out of a combination of silky attacks and sturdy defence - both of which were on display against Wolves.

In fact the clean sheet, the 10th straight shut-out at Stamford Bridge, saw Carlo Ancelotti's men equal the club record set way back in 1927.

As if Wolves needed any warning as to the size of the task at hand before kick-off, in their last outing Chelsea overcame champions Manchester United to maintain their 100% home record under Ancelotti.

However, with the Blues coming off the back of the international break with Didier Drogba, Frank Lampard, Deco, Michael Ballack and Ricardo Carvalho all unavailable, the visitors might have sniffed a chance of an upset.

Three goals in the opening 21 minutes put paid to that idea.

Malouda got the hosts up and running, latching on to Jody Craddock's tame clearance and then lashing a rocket into the roof of the net.

He then set Essien up for the second from a corner, the Ghanaian heading home unmarked at the near post.

And the midfielder grabbed his second from outside the area when his shot squirmed under the keeper.

It was a salvo from which Wolves never looked like recovering, and at times the match resembled an exhibition.

Chelsea's movement and incisiveness in attack was irresistable at times, and the performances of Joe Cole, Essien and Malouda in particular are sure to give the Wolves defenders nightmares for weeks to come.

The visitors were in many ways the architects of their own downfall, though, granting Chelsea's midfield the freedom of Stamford Bridge as they failed to press their opponents across the park.

But they did at least show the odd glimpse of promise in attack, David Edwards twice breaking beyond the Blues defence but failing to get on the end of crosses and Ebanks-Blake bringing a stunning save from Cech with a downward header from Andrew Surman's centre.

Those attacks were all too rare, though, and otherwise the match was a procession for the Blues.

Joe Cole kick-started Chelsea's second-half dominance with his first goal in over a year, the playmaker stroking home from Salomon Kalou's lay-off, and a shell-shocked Wolves were almost entirely on the back foot thereafter.

Essien came closest to a fifth for Chelsea, first forcing keeper Wayne Hennessey to tip on to the bar with a drilled effort from range, and then grazing the outside of the post with a curler from 18 yards out.

And second-half substitute Gael Kakuta - the player at the centre of the Blues' potential transfer ban controversy - showed off his box of tricks on debut before drilling inches past the post late in the game.

As it was, Wolves will be thankful at least to have escaped London with just four goals against them for the second time in a fortnight.

The defeat keeps them rooted in the bottom three - and things do not get much easier for them, with away trips to Tottenham, Manchester United and Liverpool to come.

But for Chelsea, whose electric performance only served to underline their impressive strength in depth, their title charge could hardly be on a straighter track.

Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti:

"When we win, I am happy. When we play well, I am also happy. Today we did both things and played a great match.

"It was comfortable today. The team have improved their play, they are full of confidence and they are showing what they can do.

"We also showed we have a very good squad. Everyone asks about the future and the African Cup of Nations in January, but today you saw we have excellent young players and will be able to cope."

Wolves manager Mick McCarthy:

"I agree with Carlo - his side were fantastic. We've basically been beaten up with the ball today.

"But I have to take positives, even though there are loads of negatives. We might have gifted them the first two goals, but we did create chances and that's a positive.

"I know that sounds hollow and stupid when we've lost by four and it could have been more, but we gave them two goals and that's always going to make the difference.

"We are in a relegation dogfight from now on. We might as well understand that and get on with it. If we're honest we didn't expect to get anything from our last two games, but now we move on."

Gael Kakuta looks a real prospect.As soon as he came on,he was feinting and dummying his opponents.Not exactly lacking in confidence either.No wonder Ancellotti is hesitant to dip in the transfer market with talent like this on the sidelines.

Gael Kakuta looks a real prospect.As soon as he came on,he was feinting and dummying his opponents.Not exactly lacking in confidence either.No wonder Ancellotti is hesitant to dip in the transfer market with talent like this on the sidelines.

What part of West London is he from OG ??

What part of West London is he from OG ??

He lives right next door to Julien Faubert!

I think you will find that Carlo will be dipping heavily in the transfer market OG.