Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

Essien is all right footed,Jimbo.The other two have no problem with their left or right.The same can be said for George Best and Jimmy Greaves.Both were comfortable on either side.

Well if you are saying you don't need him, please send him to us. Injured or not. Thanks mate. :)

Essien is all right footed,Jimbo.The other two have no problem with their left or right.The same can be said for George Best and Jimmy Greaves.Both were comfortable on either side.

Well if you are saying you don't need him, please send him to us. Injured or not. Thanks mate. :)

Go on then,he's not worth cup of tea anyway.Can't run,can't shoot,no stamina,weak in the tackle.I dunno why we bother with him. :D

Go on then,he's not worth cup of tea anyway.Can't run,can't shoot,no stamina,weak in the tackle.I dunno why we bother with him. :D

You talked us into it. You give us the Essien donkey and we'll bung the dribbling maestro Nani your way. Sounds more than fair. We have a deal or what? :D

You talked us into it. You give us the Essien donkey and we'll bung the dribbling maestro Nani your way. Sounds more than fair. We have a deal or what? :D

Sorry Rix,we're not allowed to do business with United.It's against the law. :D It was the Veron deal that did it!

Thats more like it albeit a less than vintage performance!

Chelsea 2 - 1 Portsmouth

Chelsea restored their three-point lead in the Premier League - but only after an unconvincing win over Portsmouth.

Nicolas Anelka side-footed Chelsea ahead after good work from Alex as the home side dominated the first half.

But Pompey, managed by former Blues boss Avram Grant, levelled through Frederic Piquionne's fierce finish and even had chances to go ahead.

Frank Lampard saved the hosts' blushes with a 79th-minute penalty after Marc Wilson's lunge on Branislav Ivanovic.

Teenage substitute Fabio Borini could have made the win more comfortable had he not dragged his shot narrowly wide - but that would have masked a curiously flat performance by the league leaders.

They can, at least, celebrate their first win in five matches as they look ahead to Sunday's trip to West Ham, but Carlo Ancelotti must be concerned by his side's stuttering form.

Grant was given a warm reception on his return to Stamford Bridge, but the home fans were probably not feeling quite so charitable when the Israeli's side threatened to deal a stunning blow to the Blues' title chances.

After Mick McCarthy controversially fielded a weakened Wolves side at Manchester United on Tuesday, eyebrows were raised when Grant made seven changes to the side that snatched a late draw against Sunderland at the weekend.

But in reality, two were enforced, David James missing out through illness and Younes Kaboul serving a suspension, while Papa Bouba Diop, Kevin-Prince Boateng and Steve Finnan all returned to the side after injury and illness.

Having watched his side concede three goals at home to Everton on Saturday, Ancelotti brought Alex into his defence to replace Ricardo Carvalho.

Up front, Didier Drogba was also absent, nursing a back injury, but he was not missed in a one-sided first half, while under-pressure keeper Petr Cech was barely tested.

Chelsea dominated the opening 20 minutes, with Michael Ballack and Anelka going close and Lampard spooning a good chance into the crowd.

Anelka finally made the breakthrough, Alex galloping out of defence and holding off Wilson's challenge on the right before cutting back for the Frenchman to score on his 100th appearance for the Blues.

In driving sleet and freezing conditions, it was hard not to feel sympathy for the under-employed Cech, and the keeper almost fluffed his opening lines on 35 minutes when he spilled a well-struck Piquionne shot - but Hermann Hreidarsson could not control the rebound.

Portsmouth, though, improved after the break, as Chelsea appeared to slip into complacency.

The Blues' set-piece defending has come under intense scrutiny in recent weeks, so it was no surprise that the equaliser came from a free-kick, but there was a slice of good fortune for Portsmouth.

Jamie O'Hara's 30-yard effort deflected off the end of the wall, and then off Ashley Cole, before falling into the path of Piquionne, who smashed a glorious finish past Cech.

The home fans, quiet until that point, suddenly ramped up the noise, but Chelsea continued to toil, Drogba's absence suddenly keenly felt.

Boateng twice had chances to give Pompey a shock lead, but was denied first by a desperate Ashley Cole block and then lost his footing with the goal gaping.

The introduction of Joe Cole for the injured Deco injected some welcome pace and creativity into the Chelsea side.

And the goal they craved arrived with 11 minutes remaining, Wilson diving in wildly on Ivanovic as the right-back burst into the box.

Lampard, whose previous penalty effort was saved in the defeat by Manchester City, made no mistake this time, hitting it high into the roof of the net.

Ballack hasn't had the same impact since his last injury when,prior to that,he was one of our best players.There can be no doubt,however,that he along with Terry is our best naturally gifted footballer.

If naturally gifted means that you can kick with both feet then it looks like ''i am naturally gifted'' :D and David Beckham is certainly not :)

Ballack hasn't had the same impact since his last injury when,prior to that,he was one of our best players.There can be no doubt,however,that he along with Terry is our best naturally gifted footballer.

If naturally gifted means that you can kick with both feet then it looks like ''i am naturally gifted'' :D and David Beckham is certainly not :)

Naturally gifted also means having tremendous heart,desire and the will to win.This is why Terry and Ballack got to the top of their profession.I don't know how far you got,Alfredo,but I've seen and played with blokes who could kick with both feet but had the desire and will of a rabbit.

Naturally gifted also means having tremendous heart,desire and the will to win.This is why Terry and Ballack got to the top of their profession.I don't know how far you got,Alfredo,but I've seen and played with blokes who could kick with both feet but had the desire and will of a rabbit.

I'm not sure if i agree with your definition of Naturally gifted, so are you saying John Terry is more naturally gifted than Glen Hoddle or even Robinho :)

Edited by alfieconn

I'm not sure if i agree with your definition of Naturally gifted, so are you saying John Terry is more naturally gifted than Glen Hoddle or even Robinho :)

Umm,that's a tough one.Glen Hoddle was undoubtably the most naturally gifted flair English player of his period,so much so that the various England managers of his time didn't know what to make if him! John Terry,in my opinion,had enough natural ability to be a creative midfield player but would not have achieved the ultimate accolade for a player,captaining your country.Robinho? Well,"Let's not go there!"as John Dykes is so fond of saying. :D

John Terry,in my opinion,had enough natural ability to be a creative midfield player

Your definitly having a laugh :D , JT is just a typical english centre half all be it a very good one.

Next your be comparing him with Beckenbaur :)

Why, did he get caught under the Ball 6 times per Game too ?? :D

& before anyone says it, i've got a Bullseye on Chelsea to win by 3 or more tomorrow.... :D

John Terry,in my opinion,had enough natural ability to be a creative midfield player

Your definitly having a laugh :D , JT is just a typical english centre half all be it a very good one.

Next your be comparing him with Beckenbaur :)

I kid you not.Terry started off in the Chelsea youth team as a midfield.Remember,he's 30 years old now and hasn't always been this slow.When I started watching him in 2000,it was a general concensus among the fans that he would take over from Marcel Desailly and captain Chelsea and then go on to be a full international...he was that good.

Alright,Jack the Judge,I've given you my examples of what I consider as naturally gifted players,let's hear some of yours.

Next your be comparing him with Beckenbaur :D

I kid you not.Terry started off in the Chelsea youth team as a midfield.Remember,he's 30 years old now and hasn't always been this slow.When I started watching him in 2000,it was a general concensus among the fans that he would take over from Marcel Desailly and captain Chelsea and then go on to be a full international...he was that good.

Alright,Jack the Judge,I've given you my examples of what I consider as naturally gifted players,let's hear some of yours.

I know you cant believe the tabloids but what was all that about JT taking 10 grand of undercover reporters just to give them a guided tour of the training ground and telling them not to tell any one about it and giving 2 grand to Tony Bruce , dont tell me thats for charity :) .

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/64716...sh-scandal.html

Thought it was a great game to watch last night, a full on London derby and a fair result.

Not sure what the referre was on making Lampard take the penalty 3 times but how many players would have kept their cool in the same situation. It looked like the West Ham players were the main encroachers so don't know why the ref did not let the goal stand, at least after the scond spot kick. There would have been real controversy if Lamps had eventually missed.

Chelsea are clearly off the boil a bit compared to their earlier from and it's just a question of whether we can get it back. I still wouldn't panic and would not go shopping in the January sales but wait till the summer assuming we are allowed to buy then.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for that NoW piece above, if true it is a great illustration why I am glad I am no longer forking out good money to watch football as it just shows how greedy the players are, even the ones you don't want to believe have this trait as they are captain of your club and country.

Surely Terry should be concentrating getting the team's form back rather than doing dodgy training complex tours for what is in effect pocket money for him and all behind the club and manager's back. He knows it would not be endorsed by the club and therefore shows a lack of respect.

In my view it represents misconduct by a club employee and you would think he would have more sense after the bad publicity he and his family have had recently. He may be a great player but it does not look like he has much upstairs. Also, I don't for a minute believe his cut was going to charity that was just his story in case he got caught.

Thought it was a great game to watch last night, a full on London derby and a fair result.

Not sure what the referre was on making Lampard take the penalty 3 times but how many players would have kept their cool in the same situation. It looked like the West Ham players were the main encroachers so don't know why the ref did not let the goal stand, at least after the scond spot kick. There would have been real controversy if Lamps had eventually missed.

Chelsea are clearly off the boil a bit compared to their earlier from and it's just a question of whether we can get it back. I still wouldn't panic and would not go shopping in the January sales but wait till the summer assuming we are allowed to buy then.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep, good Game, chuffed to bits with a point & maybe with a bit of luck we could have had 3..

God knows what the Ref was all about, especially with the Pen as, as you say, it was West Ham Players ( Ilunga ) who encroached the most.

I didn't think he had a good Game overall & reminds me more & more of a Policeman/Teacher/Traffic Warden every time i see Mike Dean..

Chelsea were definately off the boil though yesterday, the pass & move was pretty much non existent but credit to us, i thought we handled you pretty well & the way you play soemtimes restricting you to not how you actually wanted to play.

Happy with the point.

MSingh, yep fairplay to West Ham. Rose to the occasion and definately deserved a share of the spoils. Like a lot of clubs in these situations they now need to bring that from in to the more mundane games...not sure who you have next.

Pompey at Home then the Pond Life at <deleted> Fart Lane..

MSingh, yep fairplay to West Ham. Rose to the occasion and definately deserved a share of the spoils. Like a lot of clubs in these situations they now need to bring that from in to the more mundane games...not sure who you have next.

Pompey at Home then the Pond Life at <deleted> Fart Lane..

Bring it on :)

Are you Scolari in disguise, are you Scolari in disguise!! :)

Chelsea 2 - 1 Fulham

An own goal from youngster Chris Smalling helped Chelsea to come from behind and record a 2-1 win over Fulham, but Carlo Ancelotti's concerns regarding the fragile confidence of his Premier League title hopefuls will remain.

Zoltan Gera scored an early opener at Stamford Bridge, before Chelsea dramatically turned the game around in the space of two second-half minutes as Didier Drogba equalised and 20-year-old Smalling deflected into his own net.

But it was all very unconvincing from the Blues from the moment Roy Hodgson's visitors had stunned their hosts in just the fourth minute as a Paul Konchesky cross caused panic inside the 18-yard area and Gera was able to hook past Petr Cech.

The recent anxiety of Ancelotti's men was there for all to see whenever a ball was delivered into an area of threat, but it was also a sense of frustration which marked the rest of the half as they failed to test their well-organised neighbours.

Chelsea enjoyed almost complete control of possession after the break, but Fulham showed why they had lost only once in 12 league games prior to kick-off and it was only an excellent header from Drogba that drew the Blues level in the 73rd minute.

Smalling, starting in place of the injured Brede Hangeland, then had his moment of heartbreak in the 75th minute as his superb display was spoilt when a cross-shot from substitute Daniel Sturridge deflected off his shins and over the goalline.

Chelsea's unconvincing performance, which was one dimensional and lacked imagination, will have given their title rivals further encouragement that the championship race is far from over, despite the Blues restoring a five-point lead.

Jose Mourinho, watching from the stands in preparation for Inter Milan's UEFA Champions League clash against his former club, will also have been encouraged by what he saw.

Ancelotti reacted to Chelsea's run of just one victory in five matches by making six changes.

Only John Terry remained from the back four that started the goalless draw against Birmingham with Ricardo Carvalho, Yury Zhirkov and Paulo Ferreira joining him.

Midfielders Joe Cole and Michael Ballack also returned, while Drogba and Salomon Kalou played their last matches in club colours before heading off to the African Cup of Nations.

But despite the shake-up Chelsea suffered from an abysmal lack of penetration in the final third where vast reams of possession were wasted amid a flurry of mishit shots.

In contrast, Fulham were able to unpick their opponents as early as the fourth minute.

Konchesky found acres of space on the left before launching a cross that deceived Terry and the England skipper watched in horror as Bobby Zamora, stationed six yards out, found Gera.

The Hungarian was stood at point-blank range but still had work to do as he controlled the ball, turned and planted his shot beyond Cech.

Gera celebrated with a back flip but whatever the scoreline said it was all Chelsea with Fulham struggling to string more than a couple of passes together.

Only resolute defending was keeping the blue horde at bay with Konchesky executing a well-timed tackle on Frank Lampard as the England midfielder weaved his way into the area.

For all their possession, however, Chelsea were failing to create any chances and were becoming less of a threat as the match progressed.

Cech had to palm a shot by Clint Dempsey over the crossbar after the American had been expertly set up by Zamora, whose physical presence was causing Chelsea problems.

Referee Andre Marriner told captains Danny Murphy and Terry to speak with John Pantsil and Drogba in response to the African rivals' running battle.

It was then Schwarzer's turn to talk to Drogba following his challenge on Pantsil and moments later the Ivorian was floored by a kick from his nemesis after his thunderbolt had been blocked.

Chelsea enjoyed a lucky escape seconds after the interval when a poorly-judged back-pass by Carvalho was intercepted by Zamora, whose shot cannoned off the leg of the advancing Cech.

Schwarzer was pressed into action on the hour when he made a fine stop from Drogba's curling effort from the edge of the area.

Fulham's defence was finally starting to creak but two poor shots by Kalou and Lampard let them off the hook.

Chelsea replaced Mikel with Sturridge and Fulham brought on Andy Johnson for Gera as the match entered the final 20 minutes.

The equaliser finally arrived in the 73rd minute, substitute Branislav Ivanovic picking out Drogba who rose after Chris Baird lost the ball in the floodlights at the far post to nod home.

And two minutes later Chelsea stormed ahead when Smalling, attempting to clear Schwarzer's save from Sturridge's shot, turned the ball into his own net for the winner.

Chelsea vs.Fulham:

I thought the visitors got what they deserved. Nothing. Scored an eary goal and then spent most of the rest of the match trying to defend their lead. The stats show Chelsea had over 60 % of the possession and in total on and off target 2-3 times more shots than Fulham.

So well done Chelsea despite the nervous defence.

Serves Fulham right as it was only when they were 2-1 down did they start playing some positive (attacking) football and by then it was too late.

Edited by Zodiac

Chelsea vs.Fulham:

I thought the visitors got what they deserved. Nothing. Scored an eary goal and then spent most of the rest of the match trying to defend their lead. The stats show Chelsea had over 60 % of the possession and in total on and off target 2-3 times more shots than Fulham.

Serves Fulham right as it was only when they were 2-1 down did they start playing some positive (attacking) football and by then it was too late.

Cost of Chelsea squad V Cost of Fulham squad

Chelsea playing at home

So Fulham got what they deserved did they. Acually most people that i watched the match with thought Chelsea were piss poor and Fulham were well worth a point. The papers also suggested Fulham were unlucky.

Well done indeed Chelsea :)

Chelsea vs.Fulham:

Cost of Chelsea squad V Cost of Fulham squad

Chelsea playing at home

So Fulham got what they deserved did they. Acually most people that i watched the match with thought Chelsea were piss poor and Fulham were well worth a point. The papers also suggested Fulham were unlucky.

Well done indeed Chelsea :)

I suggest you do not rely on what others say about the game and make up your own mind, if you are capable of doing that.

Here are the stats:

"Possession

• <LI class=hometeam>Chelsea 61%
  • Fulham 39%

Attempts on target

• <LI class=hometeam>Chelsea 11
  • Fulham 3

Attempts off target

• <LI class=hometeam>Chelsea 7
  • Fulham 0

Corners

• <LI class=hometeam>Chelsea 10
  • Fulham 6

<H3 class=fouls>Fouls</H3>

• <LI class=hometeam>Chelsea 10 <LI class=awayteam>Fulham 13" <LI class=awayteam>

The facts speak for themselves and thank goodness Chelsea won as it will teach the likes of Fulham to try not to play such negative football.

Chelsea Football Club has said it is now "virtually debt-free"

The company made the announcement along with its full-year results. It said it had turned almost all its debt into equity.

The debt was an interest-free loan of £340m ($537m) from its parent company, which is controlled by wealthy Russian Roman Abramovich.

Chelsea also announced reduced losses for the fourth year in a row. Losses fell to £44.4m ($70m) from £65.7m.

Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck said: "The club's debt load has been reduced almost to nil in order to provide more long-term stability for the club. It will also enable the club to comply with any regulations on debt levels which are being discussed by the football community."

Chelsea needs to be debt-free to comply with future Uefa rules. Uefa's president, Michel Platini, wants to ban clubs from the lucrative Champions League after 2012 unless they break even on football-related business.

The club said that "disciplined management" of capital expenditure had reduced the cash spend from £107.4m to £16.9m.

It added that revenues remained stable despite the economic climate, reflecting the strength of the team, its continued success and the attractiveness of the FA Premier League "allied with the continued allegiance of our fans and commercial partners".

Net capital expenditure fell from £85.1m to £4.2m following the completion of major capital projects such as the training centre at Cobham.

The results include exceptional items of £12.6m related to compensation payments to a first team manager and three coaching staff.

Thats more like it Chels, shame its only against Watford though!

Chelsea 5 - 0 Watford

FA Cup holders Chelsea began the defence of their trophy in style as a vibrant display overwhelmed Watford.

Daniel Sturridge gave Chelsea a fifth-minute lead when he stabbed home a John Terry volley from close range.

A John Eustace own goal doubled Chelsea's lead before a Yuri Zhirkov effort went in off Florent Malouda.

Frank Lampard made it four with a thunderous drive from distance and Sturridge completed Watford's misery with another neat finish.

It was an irresistible attacking display from a Chelsea side unable to call on either the injured Nicolas Anelka or top-scorer Didier Drogba, who recently joined Michael Essien, Salomon Kalou and John Obi Mikel on Africa Cup of Nations duty.

Watford manager Malky Mackay had hoped to contain Carlo Ancelotti's side by opting for a five-man midfield.

But the Championship side were rocked by Sturridge's early opener and found themselves three goals down inside 22 minutes, the tie effectively decided.

The build-up to the game was largely overshadowed by the fallout from an interview in French magazine L'Equipe in which Malouda reportedly expressed frustration at playing second fiddle to Lampard.

But there was no evidence of disharmony on the pitch as Chelsea moved smoothly through the attacking gears to leave Watford chasing shadows from the outset.

Watford have come through some testing times since losing to Chelsea in the fifth round of the Cup last February.

Financial turmoil has seen a host of players leave Vicarage Road, and last month the club came perilously close to administration before majority shareholder Lord Ashcroft agreed to repay a £4.88m loan to former chairman Jimmy Russo.

But if Watford harboured hopes of starting the new year on a brighter note by causing the second major third-round upset, they were rapidly dispelled.

The cheers that greeted news of Manchester United's shock defeat against Leeds were still echoing around the Stamford Bridge rafters when Chelsea took the lead.

Alex nodded a Frank Lampard corner to John Terry, the England captain volleyed into the six-yard box, and Sturridge turned in at the back post to claim his first goal since his summer arrival from Manchester City.

Things got worse for Watford when Malouda fizzed in a vicious cross which was slammed back into the danger area by Joe Cole before cannoning in off Eustace.

Starved of possession and in defensive disarray, Watford fell further behind on 22 minutes when Zhirkov's long-range effort deflected off Malouda, wrong-footing Scott Loach.

There was a brief period of respite for the beleaguered Watford keeper either side of half-time, but shortly after the hour mark Lampard capped an influential performance with a trademark pile-driver from 25 yards.

And four soon became five when Ashley Cole combined superbly with Zhirkov on the left flank before crossing for Sturridge, who controlled neatly before slipping the ball beyond Loach.

• 2 weeks later...

Shame it wasn't 7-0!! :)

Chelsea 7 - 2 Sunderland

Chelsea returned to Premier League action in emphatic fashion as they routed Sunderland to once again underline their title credentials.

Nicolas Anelka grabbed two, the first one-on-one, the second a tap-in, while Florent Malouda's stinger made it 2-0.

A Frank Lampard volley followed Ashley Cole's stunning control and finish, before Michael Ballack headed a fifth.

Bolo Zenden and Darren Bent replied for the visitors, but Lampard's header rounded off a stunning home victory.

And it was as convincing a win as the scoreline suggests, with any questions about how Chelsea would cope without Africa Cup of Nations players Didier Drogba, John Obi Mikel, Michael

Essien and Salomon Kalou answered forcefully.

Both side's last league action was back on 28 December following the spate of postponements due to the weather - and Black Cats boss Steve Bruce chose to take his team on a warm-weather break in the Algarve in the mean time in a bid to inspire them to a first win in eight league games.

It didn't work. Chelsea, coming into the match off the back of seven dropped points in their last five games, were irresistable, Sunderland were woeful.

Interestingly, Bruce, when in charge of Huddersfield in 2000, had a £750,000 bid for John Terry accepted by Chelsea, only for the player to turn down the move.

How he must have wished he had had the England captain at the heart of his defence at Stamford Bridge. Instead, Albanian midfielder Lorik Cana, deputising at the back with the likes of Nyron Nosworthy and Anton Ferdinand injured, produced a truly disastrous performance.

Time and again he was caught out - and with Chelsea in no mood to forgive his ineptitude, Sunderland's modus operandi quickly went from early optimism to damage limitation.

Anelka, back to the lead in the line in a threatening 4-3-3 formation after a hamstring injury, kick-started matters, collecting Ballack's sublime through ball, rounding the keeper and slotting home, before Malouda ran unchallenged from the middle of the park to slot into the corner from 18 yards.

Ashley Cole's moment of brilliance followed. The left-back, on the sprint, brought Terry's ball over the top down first time, stepped inside Cana, and then dinked past keeper Marton Fulop with the outside of his boot.

It was an exquisite strike, remniscent of Cole's former team-mate at Arsenal Dennis Bergkamp, and it typified the hosts' swelling confidence.

There was little respite for the Black Cats. Just 34 minutes were on the clock when Chelsea racked up their fourth - Lampard stretching to volley home Ashley Cole's cross - and Ballack,

Joe Cole and Anelka again all failed to finish off flowing moves as Chelsea moved the ball about at will.

Sunderland's only crumb of comfort was the odd threat they posed in attack. Bent had a snap-shot easily saved by Petr Cech, while Daryl Murphy was bravely denied by the keeper from eight yards out after good work by Kenwyne Jones.

But, in truth, only Chelsea's occasional tendency to over-play and Sunderland keeper Fulop prevented this from being a cricket score.

The Hungarian keeper produced a stunning save to deny Anelka at the start of the half, tipping the Frenchman's long-ranger onto the bar and post, but he could do nothing about Chelsea's fifth, Ballack waltzing into the area completely unmarked to head home Joe Cole's pin-point cross.

Completely against the run of play, Sunderland briefly hit back, Zenden slapping the ball into the corner on his old stomping ground from Jones's knock-down.

The renaissance lasted all of nine minutes, though, Anelka making the most of a Fulop flap at Yuri Zhirkov's cross to tap into an empty net.

There was still 25 minutes remaining at that point, and Sunderland must have feared the worst, but Fulop denied Anelka a hat-trick from six yards out and Joe Cole hit the post with a header to give the away goal some respite.

Not for long, though. Lampard brought up Chelsea's seventh with a controlled header from Anelka's bullet cross, while Bent rounded off the goal frenzy at the other end with close-range finish in stoppage time.

It was a whirlwind finish to a match filled with goalmouth action, a suitable way for Chelsea to mark their 350th Premier League win - a feat only Manchester United and Arsenal have previously achieved.

Great win but can't help thinking it was partly down to a really p@@@ poor display from Sunderland. They were awful!

I see we have Arsenal and Everton coming up at beginning of February so hoping we can open up a bit of a cushion by then. Been very impressed with Everton's last two performances, it is good to see players putting everything in for their club which must say alot for Moyes. Reckon they will be the most improved team from now until end of season now they are getting their injured players back.

• 2 weeks later...