Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

Team News - Chelsea v Norwich (16:00 BST)

Chelsea make five changes from the side beaten in Europe in midweek. Noteably, Eden Hazard is among the culled.

In come Nemanja Matic, Frank Lampard, Mo Salah, Andre Schurrle and Demba Ba.

Chelsea: Schwarzer; Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry, Cole; Lampard, Matic; Salah, Willian, Schurrle; Ba

Chelsea
  • 23 Schwarzer
  • 02 Ivanovic
  • 03 Cole
  • 21 Matic
  • 24 Cahill
  • 26 Terry
  • 15 Salah
  • 08 Lampard
  • 19 Ba
  • 22 Willian
  • 14 Schürrle
Substitutes
  • 04 David Luiz
  • 09 Torres
  • 16 Van Ginkel
  • 17 Hazard
  • 29 Eto'o
  • 33 Kalas
  • 40 Hilario
Norwich City
  • 01 Ruddy
  • 02 Martin
  • 03 Whittaker
  • 27 Tettey
  • 24 R Bennett
  • 06 Turner
  • 07 Snodgrass
  • 08 Howson
  • 16 Elmander
  • 04 Johnson
  • 23 Olsson
Substitutes
  • 05 Bassong
  • 09 van Wolfswinkel
  • 10 Fer
  • 11 Hooper
  • 13 Bunn
  • 17 E Bennett
  • 22 Redmond
Ref: Neil Swarbrick

One of the passengers (Neil) watched closely when the driver (Jose) parked his bus quite a few times lately, and he figured it out.

Thank you (NOT) for making it easier for LFC to win PL for the first time.

(Is there an icon for thumbs down??)

One of the passengers (Neil) watched closely when the driver (Jose) parked his bus quite a few times lately, and he figured it out.

Well be beat City twice. How much more help do you want.

Well be beat City twice. How much more help do you want.

Too much word-play, sorry about that.

I actually do NOT want LFC to win the PL.

;)

These managers that just defend are ruining the game. :-D

Oh well. Maybe next year.

Indeed, Chelsea had 70% possession. Yet you only had four shots on goal but Norwich still managed three.

Nil nil sounds about right

23 shots actually, with 2 hitting the woodwork, but only 4 on target.

Yes four shots on target as opposed to three from Norwich. Is a shot that nearly hits the corner flag likely to win a game? Nil nil still seems about right.

Always has done ,or don't you listen to Jose?whistling.gif

Yesterday's man he is....45 will be unveiling his new king just as soon as he finishes sanding the plasterboard.

i wouldn't be too gobsmacked to see mourinho part company with chelsea this summer.

Anaemic first half but only slightly better in the second period. There are plenty of problems for Mourinho to ponder over during the summer,not least the lack of attacking threat from both flanks. Ivanovic is a superb centre back but hasn't the pace or crossing ability to be a top class full back. If our ambition is to win trophies,he's not the answer. Cole has seen better days and can only be deemed as a squad player now. Willian and Hazard have been great this season and their trickery,turn of foot and movement have set up numerous attacks but,as soon as the ball is switched wide to the full backs, the attack falters or it gets played back to Terry or Cahill. Azpilicueta has done a good job at left back this season but should be switched to his proper position next season.

It was the same old problem yesterday. We don't have the guile to break teams down. When teams come to play,we are in our element but, as against Palace,Sunderland and Norwich,these ordinary teams make us look substandard as well. And that's because we can't get behind teams down the flanks because our full backs are just not good enough.

• Like 1

While Jose constantly reminds everyone that he "loves" Chelsea and wants to stay there forever,wouldn't surprise anyone if Roman had his finger on the trigger.History would show you can get the sack from Chelsea even when you win trophies.

While Jose constantly reminds everyone that he "loves" Chelsea and wants to stay there forever,wouldn't surprise anyone if Roman had his finger on the trigger.History would show you can get the sack from Chelsea even when you win trophies.

I don't think Abramovich will can him though you could make a case that he has reason. Even if you assume Mourinho didn't screw up by loaning out Lukaku and selling Mata, there are still reasons. I can't be arsed, but it wouldn't be difficult to total up the number of points Chelsea dropped this season to bottom half opponents. An absurd number given his rich squad. He just didn't get it right tactically against lesser opposition. I'm convinced that he frequently over thinks his game plan to the team's detriment. Obviously he gets up for the big clubs, but his success against them is undercut by the frequent miserable displays against the likes of Norwich.

In his post match comments yesterday he didn't seem concerned that Chelsea had thrown away their chance to go top, and maybe have a chance at the title. Were I the owner, that would get under my skin and we all know Abramovich has thin skin.coffee1.gif

• Like 2

I don't think Abramovich will can him though you could make a case that he has reason. Even if you assume Mourinho didn't screw up by loaning out Lukaku and selling Mata, there are still reasons. I can't be arsed, but it wouldn't be difficult to total up the number of points Chelsea dropped this season to bottom half opponents. An absurd number given his rich squad. He just didn't get it right tactically against lesser opposition. I'm convinced that he frequently over thinks his game plan to the team's detriment. Obviously he gets up for the big clubs, but his success against them is undercut by the frequent miserable displays against the likes of Norwich.

In his post match comments yesterday he didn't seem concerned that Chelsea had thrown away their chance to go top, and maybe have a chance at the title. Were I the owner, that would get under my skin and we all know Abramovich has thin skin.coffee1.gif

I'm no great fan of Mourinho, not so much as a manager, but as a man, although his tactics can leave a lot to be desired, but all that said, i do think he has done a pretty decent job this season. I must admit i am skeptical about managers, or for that matter, players, returning to clubs where they have a history, and think it often ends up in disappointment for all concerned, and i did think the same may be true for Mourinho, in returning to Chelsea, but i think he has done pretty well, considering and comparing with how Chelsea had fared in the league in the last few seasons. Whether he has done well enough for Abramavich is of course another matter, and i agree that comments like the one made yesterday about being nonplussed about not staying in the title fight, may well go against him.

Anyway, as long as he doesn't somehow end up at my club, i'm happy.

This season, a transitional season.

Summer transfer window will be dynamic.

Mourinho will have learned what the EPL is now currently about.

He will adapt.

My prediction: maintain solid defence, improve creativity in midfield, increase potency up front.

Net result. Goals conceded similar to this season, goals scored considerably more than this season.

Entertainment value for neutrals: smile.png

Entertainment value for top 4 teams: sad.png

Entertainment value for P45: OUTSTANDING.wink.png

Next season we race.

Bookmark it. smile.png

I can't be arsed, but it wouldn't be difficult to total up the number of points Chelsea dropped this season to bottom half opponents. An absurd number given his rich squad. He just didn't get it right tactically against lesser opposition.

I think we are just as guilty as anyone of that, Jelly. Sometimes I'm not sure it's the manager who got the actual tactics wrong but got the motivational speach wrong. Some of these top players just don't seem up for it against so called "lower" teams and although they should be held to account for a lack of interest or passion. Once they walk on the pitch it's mainly down to them. However, saying that, I think it's also a failure in part of the manager not being able to get them "up for it".

I wouldn't disagree with mrbojangles.

Main problem for Chelsea as I see it this season: lack of potency up front.

No Sturridge, Suarez, Aguero,

Not an excuse, just a simple fact.

We scraped through to the Semis of the CL with mostly tightly fought games and few goals.

Credit to Mourinho for achieving this in my book. But it doesn't work in the EPL. Gotta beat lower opposition like Liverpool did.

Didn't Mourinho do just that when you played away at Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Madrid

just to name a few.

Pot Kettle Black.

Didn't Mourinho do just that when you played away at Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Madrid

just to name a few.

Pot Kettle Black.

I think mjj might have been saying this ironically mate.

We scraped through to the Semis of the CL with mostly tightly fought games and few goals.

Credit to Mourinho for achieving this in my book. But it doesn't work in the EPL. Gotta beat lower opposition like Liverpool did.

I think you and I could have achieved this with the players he had available.

In fact those players could have achieved top 4 without ANY manager

I wouldn't be surprised to see AV kick him out again, those dropped points against Sunderland & Norwich must hurt.

"I could have been a contender"

• Like 2

was the lack of potency up front not an issue in the summer of 2013 as well though?

was the lack of potency up front not an issue in the summer of 2013 as well though?

Yes, but I don't think mourinho was ready to get rid of Torres and Ba and replace with potent strike force at that time.

He wanted to wait and see I think. Same in January window. Got Eto'o on a free as a stop gap.

Lukaku story will continue to be debated forever. Possible error. Yep. But I don't think Lukaku will be numero uno potent striker next season. Although he could have a role to play.

That's my take on it.

I think you and I could have achieved this with the players he had available.

In fact those players could have achieved top 4 without ANY manager

I wouldn't be surprised to see AV kick him out again, those dropped points against Sunderland & Norwich must hurt.

"I could have been a contender"

i don't agree ups. EPL highly competitive. Small margins between success and failure. Not the same in French or Spanish league where you've got top 3 and the rest total crap.

Reaching semi of CL fine achievement with this squad I think.

Increased potency up front will take care of lower table EPL competition next season I think.

Only way to beat the West Hams and the Stokes is stop em scoring and bang the sh** out of them.

We failed to do that this season.

Yes, but I don't think mourinho was ready to get rid of Torres and Ba and replace with potent strike force at that time.

He wanted to wait and see I think. Same in January window. Got Eto'o on a free as a stop gap.

Lukaku story will continue to be debated forever. Possible error. Yep. But I don't think Lukaku will be numero uno potent striker next season. Although he could have a role to play.

That's my take on it.

So the blame lies clearly at Mourinho. Should have sorted it out and its not as if he didn't have time. Kind of remember him talking up the lack of potency when a couple of iffy defeats occurred.wink.png

As i have said before, aside of Suarez and Aguero i doubt see an outright number one striker in the top half of the table due to rotation and its simply not a reason to suggest why Lukaku was loaned. It was another mistake, simple as.