Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

Torres will score goals if he is played regularly now that Drogba has departed he will enjoy being the main man.

Carmine shouldn't you be asking why Adebayor is not in your team and what will he be doing this season at City??

He'll be with us in a week. Modric won't be with us in a week.

As soon as both are sorted the better for your team mate.

Yes, although we played quite well it was glaringly obvious what was missing. Mindyou it will be sorted because its plain for Levy to see were in all sorts of problems if its not.

The two we need are Adebayor and Moutinho. Both excellent fits in an AVB set up.

Ok, 3 points. Not a great performance but we have 3 games in 6 days, so not panicking. Hazard looked quit good and even though Wigan has spells of possession, we didn't really look in danger, just soaking up the pressure. Can't play like that against stronger teams, sure, but happy with the result.

I agree, but there's certain aspects of our game that need addressing. Firstly,we get too easily undone when an attack breaks down and we are hit on the counter.Mikel is a talented footballer and is good when we have our backs against the wall but,against the lesser teams,he isn't fast enough to cover the break and looks vulnerable.Consequently,our defence is back pedalling. I would much rather see Essien in that position. Secondly,Ivanovic was taken to the cleaners too many times by Moses (you could say he had help from heaven?) but,against a stronger team,those crosses he was getting in would have been decisive. We badly need a right back Thirdly, Oscar and Hazard need to start because they are very talented, fast over the ground and can cover any breakaways.They don't have to be good tacklers but just need to close people down.They showed enough invention and skill in this game to warrant inclusion from the beginning. If that means Lampard not starting,so be it. Fourthly,that's the third time that De Matteo has started Bertrand in midfield and he's improving with every game. Cole looked pleased he was there because Bertrand is a lot quicker than he is. Lastly,Torres has shown enough in his last two games that he will be a handful for centre backs this season. I don't agree that we need to delve into the transfer market for another striker because we have Sturridge who is much happier in the centre (as he showed at Bolton) and brings another dimension to our attack should Torres need substituting.

Your guys will not win another trophy until management accepts that Torres is never going to justify his price tag and replace him with a top tier striker. {yes I know we threw ours away!}.

I just have this feeling that everyone here will be collecting their pensions and still discussing if Torres is going to come good this season.

Torres could be the player of the season but how on earth would that justify that ridiculous price tag.

I, for what its worth think he'll have a great season.

I also think he'll have a great season.Price tags are ridiculous barometers to go by because money has no value as far as the Premier League is concerned.

Good to start off with a win against a very well organised side,but Wigan aren,t going to pull up any tree,s and made us look quite ordinary. Hazard played well and settled in quite nicely,Moses looked very good for Wigan but don,t know where we would play him if the deal goes ahead

Not because he scored for West Brom, but can,t understand why we loaned out Lukaku,we have a lot of extra fixtures to play this year and with only Sturridge to back up Torres,leaves us a little thin up front.

I don,t understand why we need to play 2 holding midfielders,this imho infers that the back 4 are <deleted> and need protection though the right back position is a bit of a worry.

Still don,t think RDM is the man to take us forward for this coming season,and put us in a positon to challenge for the league title. For him to stay he needs a good thinking reliable number 2 with good imput into tactics and style of play Eddie Newton (nice bloke) doesn,t fit the bill. First 3 games of the season are tough and 5 points won,t be good enough.

I can see him going the way of big Phil and will be gone before Christmas. Shoot me down if you wan,t.

Wouldn,t surprise me to see Harry in charge or Gus Poyet.

Not bent 'Arry, Keith !

Is there any other Oldgitlaugh.png

Good to start off with a win against a very well organised side,but Wigan aren,t going to pull up any tree,s and made us look quite ordinary. Hazard played well and settled in quite nicely,Moses looked very good for Wigan but don,t know where we would play him if the deal goes ahead

Not because he scored for West Brom, but can,t understand why we loaned out Lukaku,we have a lot of extra fixtures to play this year and with only Sturridge to back up Torres,leaves us a little thin up front.

I don,t understand why we need to play 2 holding midfielders,this imho infers that the back 4 are <deleted> and need protection though the right back position is a bit of a worry.

What annoyed me about this game,Keith,is the way we pissed about at the back, passing across the field far to often for my liking. This is a recipe for disaster because the only player quick enough to cover a misplaced pass is Luiz. That's one player in six defenders/holding midfield players. Mikel,Terry,Cole and Ivanovic are as slow as me off the mark. Even Cech got in on the act by rolling the ball straight to a Wigan player. Against the much quicker teams that press high up the pitch,we could come badly unstuck.

What annoyed me about this game,Keith,is the way we pissed about at the back, passing across the field far to often for my liking. This is a recipe for disaster because the only player quick enough to cover a misplaced pass is Luiz. That's one player in six defenders/holding midfield players. Mikel,Terry,Cole and Ivanovic are as slow as me off the mark. Even Cech got in on the act by rolling the ball straight to a Wigan player. Against the much quicker teams that press high up the pitch,we could come badly unstuck.

It annoyed me too Og,reminded me of the last two or 3 defeats to Arsenal,where we pissed about with it in our own half passing to players with there backs to the oppo and they just mugged us. With the squad we have got we must impose ourselfs more,attack is the best form of defence.I think we are a very fit team and always have been since Jose s days and we have to make that count. Possitive agression tonight right from the off and it should be 5 nil thumbsup.gif Edited by keithsimmonds

It annoyed me too Og,reminded me of the last two or 3 defeats to Arsenal,where we pissed about with it in our own half passing to players with there backs to the oppo and they just mugged us. With the squad we have got we must impose ourselfs more,attack is the best form of defence.I think we are a very fit team and always have been since Jose s days and we have to make that count. Possitive agression tonight right from the off and it should be 5 nil thumbsup.gif

I watched highlights of the Reading v Stoke game and it was dismal. Everything you'd expect from Stoke i.e. organised,no flair but plenty of endeavour but Reading looked limited. Now I know it is the height of stupidity to judge a team on the first game of the season but,we are at home and we SHOULD take all three points.No predictions of the result from me,I'm afraid, 1-0 will do. Oh, guaranteed that we won't be playing two holding midfield players tonight with Bertrand in a more attacking role.

By the way,did you see that Llorente of Athletico Bilbao is being chased by two Premier League clubs? "One from London and one from Manchester".I wonder who they are?? Even before Spurs got Adebayour,the bookmakers had them in at 500-1,unless that is,if Athletico were willing to accept 20 quid down and a tenner a week for the next ten thousand years.

Hazard looked very tasty. Good buy that.

Think you'll be right up there this season if you just tighten up at the back at bit more.

If De Matteo has the balls to leave some of the older generation on the bench and let the young'uns have their day,it could be quite exciting,Rix. People talk about the tackling side of their game but,as long as you have the pace to close down quickly in two's or three's,you don't have to go crunching into challenges.

Hazard looked very tasty. Good buy that.

Think you'll be right up there this season if you just tighten up at the back at bit more.

If De Matteo has the balls to leave some of the older generation on the bench and let the young'uns have their day,it could be quite exciting,Rix. People talk about the tackling side of their game but,as long as you have the pace to close down quickly in two's or three's,you don't have to go crunching into challenges.

Agreed.

Chelsea is definitely for me a team with some sentimental old dead wood that needs trimming, but the process of doing so as you rightly say, takes some balls, because sometimes it means taking a step backward before going forward. And in this day and age, who has the time or patience for that?

Still, perhaps DM is the man for the task..

.??? Who are the older generation? Only Terry, Cole and Lampard spring to mind that start. The only player on recent form that I would consider dropping is Lampard and yet I still feel he has something to give. Cole is in the form of his life and Terry is still a formidable defender. Those they say he isn't are just anti-Terry.

Against Reading I would have the starting 11 of;

Cech

Ivanovic, Terry, Luiz, Cole.

Ramirez, Hazard, Oscar, Lampard, Bertrand

Torres.

That's not positional places just who I'd have on the pitch. Lampard could be changed for Mikel and Luiz for Cahill. I've chosen Lampard as we should be in the Reading box often and could get a penalty and I've chosen Luiz over Cahill because he is a bit more attacking. Mata has been left out because he looks KNACKERED!

.??? Who are the older generation? Only Terry, Cole and Lampard spring to mind that start. The only player on recent form that I would consider dropping is Lampard and yet I still feel he has something to give. Cole is in the form of his life and Terry is still a formidable defender. Those they say he isn't are just anti-Terry.

Come on, Terry is too slow. Yes he is still capable of making some great goal saving tackles, but he will get caught out more and more as the season progresses and as fatigue sets in. Added to which, i think he wields too much power in the dressing room. Sometimes that's great, when you need someone to take people by the scruff of the neck.. but other times, it interferes with the manager. I think he has had his day. Time for a new generation. Just an outsiders opinion..

Cech used to be the best in the league. He has never been the same since his accident. Good keeper, but not great. Fine, if you are happy with a top four finish, but if you are serious about challenging for the title, you need a new number one in goal.

Lampard still has a role, but much reduced.

Cole i agree is in very good form.

Cech is fine. I don't think he needs to be replaced just yet, but if we did we don't have anyone worthwhile at the Bridge. Courtois is supposed to be quite special but he is still on loan at Athletico. He will be Cechs replacement.

I hear what you are saying about Terry, but the man is a leader. He can score goals, he will always give 100% and he can drive players on.

Lampard, agree.

Cech is fine. I don't think he needs to be replaced just yet, but if we did we don't have anyone worthwhile at the Bridge.

That's my point. If we are examining weaknesses of the team, which i believe we were, surely not having anyone worthwhile to replace him with, is a weakness. I believe had his dip in form not been the result of an accident, but just of his own making, his position would have been in much greater threat. So there's a degree of sentimentality going on, which is great to see that people still give a shit about the human aspect, i'm just not sure whether from a footballing point of view it makes most sense.

Agreed.

Chelsea is definitely for me a team with some sentimental old dead wood that needs trimming, but the process of doing so as you rightly say, takes some balls, because sometimes it means taking a step backward before going forward. And in this day and age, who has the time or patience for that?

i agree, and i also think that's what AVB tried and wanted to do there. but the owner isn't keen on long-term plans and going backwards to go forwards.

Who do you think is better in the epl?

In the EPL? Well, Hart and Reina for sure. De Gea i think still has his weaknesses, but is learning fast. So i'd take him over Cech too.

I'm a big fan of Shay Given actually, but not sure what form he has been in since his move to Newcastle.

Agreed.

i agree, and i also think that's what AVB tried and wanted to do there. but the owner isn't keen on long-term plans and going backwards to go forwards.

+ 2

Not easy though when immediate results re required. Both clubs have deadwood, and players who think they are bigger than the club.

As much as it might be funny seeing Liverpool struggle, I would like to see Liverpool at least pushing at the top end of the league. It's a sad situation, which has been cop undead by shit owners who have no idea of the history of the club.

I still want them to finish below United though.

Hart I will agree on and maybe put Vorm in there. Reina not so sure. DeGea, now that is just crazy talk.

Even if we go with those 4 it still puts Cech 5th best. If Chelsea do not get in the top 4, or even win the epl it will not be down to Cech. With Courtois waiting in the wings it would be silly to buy another keeper.

Overall I think the Chelsea starting 11 is very young, many under 25. Most of the senior players have now left or are down the pecking order.

MJJ wrote.....

"Overall I think the Chelsea starting 11 is very young, many under 25. Most of the senior players have now left or are down the pecking order."

Chelsea team to play Wigan

Cech 30,

Ivanovic 28,

Luiz 25,

Terry 31,

Cole 31,

Lampard 34,

Mikel 25,

Hazard 21,

Mata 24,

Bertrand 23,

Torres 28.

Bench: Turnbull 27, Cahill 26, Ferreira 33, Essien 29, Meireles 29, Oscar 20, Sturridge 22

laugh.png laugh.png

• Like 1

Glad you took the time to research. You must be really bored. Lol.

So 4 first teamers are under 25 - Oscar will be a starter soon. 2 are 25 and when we get Cesar, that will be another. So, 7 likely first teamers will be 25 or under.

7 from 11, or even 5 from 11 is many, no?

Are you a politician?

Not bored at all matey.In fact when i read your post i thought what a load of <deleted> and didn't believe what you where stating wink.png one click to wiki about 2 seconds with my super slow internet here and the <deleted> you wrote was verified.

I also was wondering where all the Chelsea Pensioners that you said have left have gone to? enlighten me please! tongue.png Droghba?

If you enjoy banter on the United thread expect it back rentboy laugh.png

Still 6 points above you guys! How's the relegation battle down there?

Drogba, china

Anelka, china

Bosingwa, QPR

Malouda, no longer first team

Essen, no longer first team.

Where are your pensioners red? Scholes and Giggs are how old? Must be at least 40. You can go and look that up too.