Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

Oh, an afterthought; anybody know how many games a squad player has to appear in over a season to get a medal..? Because that might affect team selection on Sunday against West Ham which will probably have Paul Jewell spitting feathers...

Always used to be ten games, I don't know if its changed though.

Still is sumrit ,10 games to get a medal.

• Replies 15.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The highlight of the match (and a BIG thumbs up to him too) was when Maureen tore into that pr*ick Graham Poll !!!!!

:o:D

Penkoprod

I can't stand that bloke! (Poll), he thinks he IS the actually star when he refs games, the card happy thing from tring should be heard and not seen! :D

Chelsea's strengths and weaknesses

Chelsea have lost their Premiership crown and failed again in their Champions League quest.

The limited recriminations to date have stopped short of naming and shaming players but, reading between the lines, it is clear changes will be made or the law laid down to certain players.

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has hinted he feels let down by some of his squad while Frank Lampard believes some at Stamford Bridge have failed to grasp the Chelsea team ethic.

BBC Sport looks at the main first-team squad and where they stand.

THE MANAGER

JOSE MOURINHO The speculation over Mourinho's future has quelled after an apparent compromising of his ways to appease club owner Roman Abramovich. He has already started talking about his plans for next season.

UNTOUCHABLES

PETR CECH The keeper's return from more than three months out injured was welcomed with Mourinho saying it was like having a new player worth £50m. He is crucial to the Chelsea cause.

ASHLEY COLE Left-back Cole has yet to show his best for the Blues but still seen as first-choice. His protracted switch from Arsenal means Chelsea will allow him to build on a transitional season.

CLAUDE MAKELELE The French holding midfielder may be ageing but his experience is vital and he is needed for his wherewithal as well as being a mentor to his successor Mikel John Obi.

MICHAEL ESSIEN A powerhouse who is at his best and most lethal in midfield but has filled in effectively at right-back and centre-back. His drive and relentlessness has hidden the failings of others.

RICARDO CARVALHO Mourinho praised the centre-back for carrying the defence while John Terry was injured and he came into his own. Linked with Real Madrid, but will not be allowed to go.

FRANK LAMPARD Mr Reliable as he delivers more often than not for Chelsea but tiredness and lack of quality cover have seen the midfielder suffer. Has yet to sign a new deal which is a worry.

JOE COLE Not as valuable as Petr Cech as his return was injury was only likened to having a new player worth £49m by Mourinho. Chelsea badly missed his vision and imagination this season.

DIDIER DROGBA So good he made Andriy Shevchenko look worse than the Ukrainian striker may have been. His goals kept Chelsea in the title hunt and he epitomises a one-for-all, all-for-one team spirit.

JOHN TERRY The player Mourinho will be holding up as an example of commitment and desire you need if you are to succeed at Chelsea. Another one who is in contract negotiations.

JURY'S OUT

ANDRIY SHEVCHENKO - He has not adapted to the Premiership or it seems to the Chelsea way. He may be seen as more trouble than he is worth, although he could come good like Drogba.

MICHAEL BALLACK - The German midfielder's status appears to have fallen out of the untouchable bracket. Yet to convince and the row over his recent ankle operation has put a question mark over his loyalties.

ARJEN ROBBEN - He is a mesmeric player who can win a game in a flash, although he is injury-prone and been accused of lacking the stomach for a fight. But his positives outweigh the negatives.

WAYNE BRIDGE - Does he want to keep playing second fiddle to Ashley Cole? He showed his quality when given the chance and Chelsea may want to keep him but it depends on his ambitions.

PAULO FERREIRA - The right-back has gone from a regular to a peripheral figure at Stamford Bridge. But a reliable performer, he is unlikely to lose his place in the 23-man squad.

SHAUN WRIGHT-PHILLIPS - He was linked with a move in January and his future may depend on whether he has done enough during glimpses of quality when given rare outings.

HENRIQUE HILARIO - He seemed to be ahead of Cudicini at one point this season. Did not cover himself in glory as he took Cech's place but the Czech Republic keeper is a hard act to follow.

UNDER THREAT

KHALID BOULAHROUZ - The Cannibal looked out of his depth and the fact that Mourinho used Essien at the back instead of the Dutchman indicates he does not have the confidence of his manager.

GEREMI - Appears to be content with the limited appearances he is given and, while he has proved useful in the past, his impact seems to be waning and his time could be up.

CARLO CUDICINI - His chance for a regular run out was dashed when he got injured in the same Reading game as Cech. When he returned he struggled to get the nod ahead of Hilario.

MAGNUS HEDMAN - Brought in as cover when Chelsea had a shortage of keepers but no appearances may mean no future at the club.

UP-AND-COMING

LASSANA DIARRA - There were doubts about his attitude early on in the season. But he has since showed plenty of promise and quality when given more first-team football.

SALOMON KALOU - He has been given a more of a chance because of Shevchenko's struggles. He has shown a knack of scoring goals but is unlikely to have done enough to stop another striker arrival.

MIKEL JOHN OBI - He had his problems in the early part of the campaign and, although there is still work to be done, has taken on the mantle of filling Makelele's boots and mature beyond his 20 years.

NEW ARRIVALS

The sale of William Gallas on transfer deadline day in August 2006 left Chelsea short in the centre-back department.

Boulahrouz proved not to be the answer and, while the Dutchman may be kept as extra defensive cover, the arrival of a centre-back appears to be high on Mourinho's list.

He was linked with Bolton's Tal Ben Haim and Micah Richards during the January transfer window and the two will again be in the frame for a move to Stamford Bridge.

Brazilian Alex could fill the gap. He was loaned to PSV Eindhoven because he could not get a work permit and he may arrive if Chelsea can rectify the matter.

Reading midfielder Steve Sidwell is out of contract and seemed set to move to Newcastle but Chelsea have reportedly stepped in to sign him and he would provide valuable cover in order to rest players.

Chelsea have also been consistently linked with a striker and Dimitar Berbatov, David Villa and Fernando Torres are just three of the many names that have been mooted.

The Times considers possible developments at Chelsea in the close season:

Where the big four will look to spend

New owners expected to lead way in close-season buying boom

Chelsea

What they want

José Mourinho’s biggest desire is to be granted control of the club’s transfer policy, but given that he has only just held on to his job, such autonomy will not be granted (Matt Hughes writes). The impending arrival of Avram Grant as director of football is likely to mean that Mourinho will have even less freedom.

What they need

The lack of depth in the squad has been badly exposed in recent weeks so the club’s first task is to ensure that next season’s version has enough quantity and quality. With only two competent centre backs and a weakness at right back, strengthening the back four is the biggest area of concern. The African Cup of Nations is likely to deprive Mourinho of the services of Didier Drogba, Salomon Kalou, Michael Essien, John Obi Mikel and Gérémi for at least a month, increasing the need for back-up in midfield.

Targets

Chelsea’s standard practice is to line up two players for every vacancy before making their minds up, but such tactics may not be needed this summer as several obvious solutions are available from within the club. Glen Johnson, the right back, will return from his loan spell with Portsmouth and Alex is expected to arrive after a three-year loan with PSV Eindhoven. They could choose to reignite their interest in Micah Richards, the Manchester City right back, and Tal Ben Haim, the Bolton Wanderers defender. With Steve Sidwell, the Reading midfield player who is available on a free transfer, identified as midfield cover, the real money will be spent up front and an intriguing battle with Liverpool over Fernando Torres, the Atlético Madrid forward, and David Villa, of Valencia, could lie in store.

Budget

Limitless in theory, but Chelsea are trying to curb expenditure, hence recalling loan players and moving for free agents.

Departures

Paulo Ferreira and Khalid Boulahrouz, the defenders, have been offered around, although there is unlikely to be a rush of bidders. Claude Makelele may be allowed to leave after rejecting a one-year contract extension. Mourinho would also like to see the back of Andriy Shevchenko, the Ukraine forward.

I have a soft spot for Chelsea, but just wonder about their purchases, particularly Kenko and Ballack.

Do you experts think Ballack is the <deleted>, or has he been a load of <deleted>?

He certainly hasn't been the <deleted>! he looked great at the World Cup but since he has arrived I think the weight of all the cash in his pockets has weighed him down a great deal! :o

Yeah at last its the thing from trings last season! poor old Graham is hanging up his whistle as he feels he is getting too much abuse on the pitch!! haha

Mourinho vents anger at ref Poll

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has hit out at Graham Poll, describing him as a "referee Chelsea have no luck with".

Poll, who sent off John Terry against Tottenham earlier in the season, upset Mourinho again in Wednesday's 0-0 draw with Manchester United.

Mourinho said: "With Mr Poll and Chelsea there are so many incidents.

"We don't like to have Mr Poll. We have to accept decisions, but if you ask me if I jump with happiness when I know Mr Poll is our referee? No."

Mourinho lost his temper in the second-half after United winger Chris Eagles was only booked for a two-footed challenge on Shaun Wright-Phillips and then a Wes Brown challenge left Scott Sinclair with a broken metatarsal bone.

The Chelsea boss launched a furious tirade at Poll and initially thought he had been sent off, before realising his mistake.

"I was telling Mr Poll a couple of things I have had in my heart since the Tottenham game at White Hart Lane. But it was nothing special. I was cleansing my soul," said Mourinho.

"I thought I was being sent off but I wasn't. I walked to the stands but then my assistants were saying 'you can stay in your position.'

"I think he (Poll) was what he is always. He had a normal performance when he is refereeing a Chelsea match."

The highlight of the match (and a BIG thumbs up to him too) was when Maureen tore into that prick Graham Poll !!!!!

:D:D

Penkoprod

I can't stand that bloke! (Poll), he thinks he IS the actually star when he refs games, the card happy thing from tring should be heard and not seen! :D

I'm in total agreement with everyone who thinks that Graham Poll is an arrogant , pig-headed benny who wishes he was a footballer.

I was really happy when I found out he was hanging up his whistle but the read this desparing news and I've got a horrible feeling he is going to be in everyones face for a lot longer :o:D .

Referee Graham Poll wants a career in television after he takes charge of his final top-flight game at Portsmouth on Sunday. (Daily Mirror)

So it looks like Benni mcarthey could be on his way to the bridge.

Does this mean bye-bye Schevcheko then I wonder ???? :o:D , anf if so will many chelski fans be that upset ?????.

Mcarthey has scored 17 goals in the premiership in his debut season , compared to schevchenko's 4.

I know who we would want.

Blackburn striker Benni McCarthy has issued a come-and-get-me plea to Chelsea. (The Sun)

Drogba back to boost Blues

Jose Mourinho has confirmed that Didier Drogba is ready to return to the Chelsea first team for Sunday's game against Everton.

The Ivory Coast international missed the recent draws against Manchester United and Arsenal due to a niggling ankle problem, but any potential fears over his fitness ahead of the FA Cup final have now been allayed.

Drogba will be considered for the final game of the Premiership season at Stamford Bridge on Sunday, meaning, barring a fresh injury, the 30-goal striker will be ready to face Manchester United at Wembley on 19th May.

However, with Ricardo Carvalho all-but certainly out of the final, Mourinho is still sweating on the fitness of Ashley Cole and Arjen Robben as he chases a second cup win this season.

"Drogba is back, he is the only one we have returning and the `bad news' players remain the same," Mourinho told Chelsea TV.

"Drogba is in condition to play against Everton, and for the cup final we are waiting for Ashley, maybe Robben, we are waiting to see, but the one I was sure would be ready to come back is Didier."

With Manchester United confirmed as English champions, Mourinho has also revealed he will use the Everton game to give England Under-18 internationals Sam Hutchinson and Lee Sawyer a taste of the first team experience.

"I am choosing more youngsters and it is important for them," Mourinho added.

"I did it always at the end of my first and second seasons when people like Anthony Grant and Jimmy Smith had their chances.

"This season was for Scott Sinclair and Ben Sahar and now it will be for Hutchinson and Sawyer.

"It gives the kids a chance to smell the Premiership. It is a good chance for them, not just something for them to remember but also the chance for us to analyse their evolution and see if they can be an option for the future."

Jose driven by record chance

Jose Mourinho has insisted that the opportunity to equal Liverpool's unbeaten home record will be the motivation for Chelsea's final Premiership game of the season against Everton.

Everton will be hoping to win at Stamford Bridge to secure a place in the Uefa Cup, while Chelsea will finish second regardless of the result.

But Mourinho maintains there is still something for his team to play for, as they strive to match the 63 games Liverpool went unbeaten at Anfield between February 1978 and January 1981.

"We have a difficult game against Everton but we have an objective for that game," he said.

"The objective must belong to the whole of Stamford Bridge because it will be magnificent if we can finish three whole seasons without a defeat at home.

"It is the only thing in the Premiership we have left to fight for.

"And if we can win the first home game of next season, we can beat the record because it is an incredible record."

Mourinho's desire to equal the record is not likely to stop him from selecting a young side, with Scott Sinclair and Ben Sahar both in the running to play following their appearances against Manchester United in midweek.

"Scott showed he has the brain and legs to be a Chelsea player," Mourinho praised.

"Ben Sahar did his work. He has to learn, he has to improve but these moments mean a lot - 45 minutes in the Premiership means more for his evolution than 450 minutes in the reserve team competition.

"This is very important for the boys, and hopefully against Everton I can give a chance to a couple more kids."

Does this mean bye-bye Schevcheko then I wonder ???? :o:D , anf if so will many chelski fans be that upset ?????.

Mcarthey has scored 17 goals in the premiership in his debut season , compared to schevchenko's 4.

Blackburn striker Benni McCarthy has issued a come-and-get-me plea to Chelsea. (The Sun)

I wouldn't say its the end of Sheva even if we do get McCarthy. We only have 3 out and out forwards so to have an extra option wouldn't be a bad thing. You can't really judge Sheva on his 1st season, give him some time and he will come good. Look at Drogba this season!

I agree Seapok, many a player has struggled in his first Premiership season, especially when reputation and price tag hang heavy.. give him another season, I think he'll deliver..

Obviously not a great deal about Chelsea or United in the press this weekend but I did spot this in The Independent..:

Terry wants final word; The captain is intent on finishing the season on a winning note after shocks at home and in Europe

Honest on the pitch, honest off it. John Terry’s enduring character trait can sometimes land him in trouble. Be it the League Cup final lunge into the six-yard box that ended not with bulging net but with Abou Diaby’s concussing boot, or the readiness to entertain questions that more circumspect teammates avoid in a teasing Chelsea TV feature on who fancies whom at Stamford Bridge. “The best-looking footballer at Chelsea?” ponders Terry. “If I was that way, I wouldn’t be picking Carlo [Cudicini]. Probably Lampsy [Frank Lampard]. If I was that way, I’d see something in him, I think.”

Chelsea’s captain candid was at it again on Friday. Talking lucidly through the ups and downs of the most tumultuous of seasons, saying the right things about reasserting an authority over Manchester United in Saturday’s FA Cup final, only to treat the big Chelsea question, the one that was meant to have been put to bed three weeks ago, with a tad too much sincerity.

Will Jose Mourinho be his manager next season? “I certainly hope so. That’s one of the things that before we go away we need to sit down and talk about,” replied Terry, before realising that didn’t exactly match the party line that the boss’s future had been secured. “As far as I’m aware things have all been sorted, there’s no problem, it’s all been done and agreed and things like that. Hopefully he’s going to stay. There’s Lampsy’s contract as well - Lamps can stay. A couple more other things there to be sorted out and everyone will be here. We’re a tight-knit family and want to keep it that way."

Want to, yet still don’t know if they can. Aware, too, that the first FA Cup Final at the hugely expensive new Wembley could yet end up being Mourinho, Terry and Lampard’s last for the hugely expensive West London club.

The problem is that no one knows for sure what action Roman Abramovich will take if Chelsea’s trophy count for the season remains at one after Saturday. Not Mourinho, not the players, not the coterie of advisers, assistants and hangers-on who jockey for space and influence in the owner’s Stamford Bridge box. Members of that last group are used to trading on Abramovich’s emotions, be they pleasure at a certain on-field employee’s performance or annoyance at the manager’s game plan or attitude, and from them emerge sporadic signals of the publicly silent billionaire’s mood. Yet lately even they have been left wondering.

Those among them who dislike Mourinho insist that FA Cup defeat could cost the manager his job, but they cannot be sure. As Abramovich has absented himself from key matches - most notably the Champions League semi-final defeat at Anfield - they have become less concerned with undermining their bete noire and fretted more over Abramovich’s waning enthusiasm for his football club. Could it be replaced by an infatuation with new girlfriend Daria Zhukova? Or displaced by political concerns in the homeland, where Russian president Vladimir Putin has pressured his most famous oligarch into staying on as governor of Chukotka and calls increasingly on his time?

Asking similar questions while attempting to plan his team’s future, Mourinho has had to content himself with Peter Kenyon’s public assurances that he “will not be sacked” in the summer. Mourinho has met Abramovich just once since December. That encounter was a brief and unintentional one in the corridors of Old Trafford after the FA Cup semi-final triumph. In subsequent meetings with chief executive Kenyon and Abramovich’s right-hand man Eugene Tenenbaum, he has asked to see the owner to talk through the problems that have consumed the club this season, only to be told it was not necessary.

Intent on remaining at Chelsea, a pragmatic Mourinho is working on the assumption that he will be at the club next season and has prepared a summer reinforcement strategy and preseason training accordingly. “Jose is okay,” says a friend. “He doesn’t know what Abramovich wants. I don’t know if anyone knows what Abramovich wants. The only thing that is clear is that he will not put so much money in the club next season.” Ironically, Mourinho is happier to work the transfer market that way than the bank-breaking pillages of previous summers. He intends to weed out underperforming players and replace them with mid-market transfers of a striker, a central defender and a right-back. Benni McCarthy, who tried to accelerate the process last week by asking Blackburn to accept a reasonable bid, is prominent in his plans. Alongside the reshuffle will come discussions with Terry and Lampard (who both await new talks on revised contracts) about areas in which the team needs to improve.

“There will be an inquest,” says Terry. “Certainly myself and Lamps will have chats with the manager. We’ve got a lot of time preseason among ourselves, so discussions will be made, little changes and little things to improve ourselves and improve everything around the place. Credit to the manager because he’s willing to listen to his players.”

For now those players are still trying to digest how they pushed their season to within four games of a quadruple, only to lose ground at Liverpool and Newcastle. Reflecting on the campaign on Friday, Terry repeatedly returned to the St James’ Park afternoon when a Chelsea victory would have placed the destiny of the Premiership back in their hands. The scoreless draw, he recognised, reinvigorated United and left the holders gasping for air.

“It’s tortuous,” he said. “You go through certain games. The Newcastle game frustrates me because we went there and we didn’t capitalise on the opportunity ahead. United having to wait that day for our result and us not getting it sort of relieved them and off they went back into their great form.

“If we’d done that, things would maybe have been different. If we’d played Man United earlier . . . And all these things. When you put all these things in, Man United were supposed to win it.”

Six days after Newcastle, they in effect did win it as a visibly tiring Chelsea failed to preserve a lead against an understrength Bolton.

Ricardo Carvalho, Terry’s central defensive partner and probably the season’s outstanding performer, was sidelined by an after-the-whistle challenge, and three days later the team let Liverpool dismiss them from the Champions League. More torture.

“We had the upper hand going in to Anfield this time, but we certainly didn’t show it on the pitch,” said Terry of his third Champions League semi-final exit. “For two days afterwards I didn’t want to come out of my house. You experience that and you go through lows in your life where you feel as though you let your family down, your friends, the Chelsea fans, your teammates. You haven’t gone to that next level. We had so many great opportunities to do so - the Monaco one, the two Liverpool games - three great opportunities, and we haven’t managed to do that. To see Liverpool do it is very upsetting.

“You go through every minute of the game and you think if we’d have done that and if we’d have done this. It’s always ifs and buts now. We didn’t make the most of that night and we went out on penalties, which wasn’t nice at all. We should have buried the tie at home and we didn’t do it.”

Terry “is not so sure” if he will watch Liverpool play Milan, but is certain that should the FA Cup final go to penalties, he’ll take one, not be left sixth in line, as at Anfield. “Will the approach be different this time? Yeah, I’m on them.”

He refuses to discuss what went through his head while offering a guard of honour to a virtual United reserve side ahead of Wednesday’s dead rubber, but is generous in his praise of the campaign that rendered the night’s draw irrelevant. “You can pick four or five of their players who’ve been different class this year. Rooney, Ronaldo. For me, Ronaldo’s been fantastic. After the way he’s come back from the World Cup as well and dealt with it and reacted and shown what he’s shown on the pitch, he’s been exceptional. Rio, Vidic. Look at Scholes and Giggs and Neville as well, the determination of them. Giggs has won his ninth Premiership title, and to have that fight and ambition and desire at his age and at his stage in his career I think is unbelievable. Credit to Sir Alex Ferguson for keeping all of his players. We need to have that.”

Again, an honest reminder to the hierarchy of what the players want for next season. Back them, suggests Terry, and the silverware will return to the Bridge. “I’d love to be lifting that Premiership trophy on Sunday – it’s not going to be right, there’s going to be something missing,” he said. “It’s important to reassert Chelsea’s dominance next week. I think it will be vital. The last game of the season, we go off on our holidays having won the FA Cup and enjoy it. Man United will maybe have the feeling we had after losing the Premiership.”

Thanks for the article Muckypups, you do find some good info! :o

Chelsea v Everton

Stamford Bridge

Sunday, 13 May

Kick-off: 1500 BST

Coverage on the BBC Sport website, BBC Radio Five Live & highlights on Match of the Day

This will be a featured match on Sunday's Score - 1430 BST on BBCi and bbc.co.uk/score

Chelsea striker Didier Drogba is back in the squad after recovering from the ankle injury that forced him to miss the last two games.

Chelsea will be without Arjen Robben, Andriy Shevchenko, Michael Ballack, Ricardo Carvalho and Scott Sinclair.

Everton striker Andrew Johnson will miss the game as his injured ankle is unlikely to be risked.

Teenage strikers James Vaughan and Victor Anichebe are likely to continue up front in an unchanged side.

Boss Jose Mourinho wants Chelsea to equal Liverpool's unbeaten home league record:

"It will be magnificent if we can finish three whole seasons without a defeat at home.

"And if we can win the first home game of next season we can beat the record, because it is an incredible record."

Chelsea (from): Cech, Cudicini, Drogba, Hilario, Geremi, Ferreira, Terry, Essien, A Cole, Bridge, Morais, Obi, Diarra, Makelele, Lampard, Kalou, Wright-Phillips, J Cole, Sahar, Hutchinson, Sawyer.

Everton (from): Howard, Neville, Yobo, Stubbs, Lescott, Arteta, Carsley, Osman, Fernandes, Vaughan, Anichebe, Turner, Naysmith, Beattie, McFadden, Hibbert, Van der Meyde, De Franca, Vidarsson, Valente.

Everton boss David Moye:

"It would be a great achievement if he could do that.

"We had a chat before Christmas about how many clean sheets he would need to keep if we wanted to qualify for Europe and he has responded brilliantly.

"We have been pleased with the way Tim has performed this season."

BIG-MATCH FACTS

CHELSEA take on Uefa Cup chasing Everton, looking to equal Liverpool's top flight record of 63 unbeaten home games, set between 25 February 1978 and 27 December 1980. Wednesday's anaemic goalless draw with newly installed champions Manchester United retained Jose Mourinho's undefeated run in League games at the Bridge. Indeed the Portuguese Blues chief has only been beaten by Benfica in the Champions League and lost to penalties to Charlton in the Carling Cup in 87 games in front of the home supporters.

During Mourinho's reign, Chelsea finished 12 and eight points clear of everyone else in winning the last two Premiership titles. This year they will trail Manchester United by 10 points at most and four points at least, depending on the results of United's home match with relegation strugglers West Ham and this 150th competitive meeting with Everton. Chelsea are currently on their longest winless League run under the current manager of four games.

The Londoners are vying for a 50th League win over Everton, and their third in a row to take an unbeaten run in League and Cup against the Toffees to 16 matches. They've scored three goals in each of the last two meetings, including this season's reverse fixture when Chelsea twice came from behind to win an entertaining match, when Didier Drogba completed the comeback with a looping 35-metre shot three minutes from time. It gives Mourinho's men the chance of a fourth Premiership 'double' over Everton, the most recent being the season before last.

EVERTON need a point to be mathematically certain of a second European campaign in three seasons. Only a comprehensive defeat and a huge win for Reading at Blackburn in which a goal difference of 11 is overhauled would deny the Toffees Uefa Cup soccer next term.

The Merseysiders travel in search of a fifth away Premiership maximum of the season, and the first in five on the road.

Paul Rideout scored the goal in Everton's only win in 14 Premiership visits to the Bridge, on 26 November 1994.

REFEREE

Mark Halsey (Lancashire)

SEQUENCES/RECENT FORM

CHELSEA

2nd 82 points

Highest achievable finish: 2nd (£9,177,000)

Lowest possible finish: 2nd

1. Drawn the last four Premiership matches against Newcastle (a), Bolton (h), Arsenal (a) and Manchester United (h).

2. Won nine and drawn four of the last 13 Premiership matches, since losing 2-0, away to Liverpool on 20 January.

3. Kept clean sheets in 10 of the last 13 League games, and in 12 of the last 16.

5. Opened the scoring in more Premiership matches than any other club (27).

6. Kept 22 clean sheets in the Premiership (won 19, drawn three), and conceded the opening goal in only seven top flight games - better than any other club on both counts.

7. Will play 64 matches this season.

8. Not lost a home Premiership game under Mourinho (won 44, drawn 12), nor been defeated in the top division at the Bridge since a 1-2 reverse to Arsenal on 21 February 2004 (won 48, drawn 14). Combining Mourinho's record with FC Porto, he is unbeaten in 94 home games in the English and Portuguese leagues (won 80, drawn 14).

9. Mourinho has not lost a home League game in charge of FC Porto and Chelsea since on 23 February 2002 when Porto were beaten 2-1 by Beira Mar.

10. "Doubled" Wigan, Blackburn, Charlton, Portsmouth, Manchester City, Sheffield United, Watford and West Ham. Could add a ninth here.

EVERTON

5th 57 points

Highest achievable finish: 5th (£7,728,000)

Lowest mathematical finish: 8th (£6,279,000)

1. Avoided defeat in eight of the last 10 - all Premiership.

2. Failed to score in one of the last 12 Premiership encounters (away to West Ham on 21 April).

3. Maximum points would bring their total to 60 - one short of their Premiership best of 61, achieved in 1995-96 when sixth, and 2004-05, when fourth.

4. Drawn more Premiership matches than any other club in the top half of the table (12).

5. Only Aston Villa (16) and Fulham (15) have finished level more often.

6. Drawn three and lost one of the last four on the road, since their 0-3 triumph at Watford on 24 February.

7. Registered four away League victories this season against Tottenham, Reading, Wigan and Watford.

8. 'Doubled' only by Manchester United so far this season.

KEY PLAYER NOTES/POTENTIAL MILESTONES

CHELSEA

Didier DROGBA is the highest scoring Premiership player this season with 31 goals, 19 of which are League goals. The Ivory Coast International leads Manchester United's Cristiano RONALDO and Blackburn's Benni McCARTHY by two at the top of the table for the Barclays Golden Boot award.

EVERTON

Andrew JOHNSON is Everton's top scorer with 12 goals - 11 in the Premiership.

Joseph YOBO is the only player to have been on the field for every minute of every one of Everton's Premiership matches this season. If he plays all 90 minutes, he will match Kevin Ratcliffe's ever present club record in 1987.

Lee CARSLEY is the only other player to have started all of the Toffees' Premiership matches this term.

Jolean LESCOTT is one of three players to have figured in at least a part of every one of the Merseysiders' League games this season.

If involved again, LESCOTT will be making his 250th English League appearance (Wolves and Everton).

If named in the 11, James BEATTIE will be making his 250th club career start (Blackburn, Southampton and Everton).

If and when he next plays, Alessandro PISTONE will be making his 150th career Premiership appearance (Newcastle and Everton).

LAST SEASON'S CORRESPONDING GAME

Chelsea 3-0 Everton

17 April 2006 - Ref: Rob Styles

Chelsea scorers: Lampard 28, Drogba 62, Essien 74

Sent Off: Carsley (Everton) 47

THIS SEASON'S REVERSE FIXTURE

Everton 2-3 Chelsea

16 December 2006 - Ref: Mark Halsey

Everton scorers: Arteta 38 pen, Yobo 64

Chelsea scorers: Howard 49 og, Lampard 81, Drogba 87

HEAD TO HEAD TOTALS

Home and away

League: Chelsea 49 wins, Everton 45, Draws 41

Prem: Chelsea 15 wins, Everton 4, Draws 10

at Chelsea only

League: Chelsea 35 wins, Everton 12, Draws 20

Prem: Chelsea 9 wins, Everton 1, Draws 4

The "League" figures in these Head to Head totals include all Premiership matches

I wouldn't say its the end of Sheva even if we do get McCarthy. We only have 3 out and out forwards so to have an extra option wouldn't be a bad thing. You can't really judge Sheva on his 1st season, give him some time and he will come good. Look at Drogba this season!

fair point seapok , though I still reckon schevchenko is on his way out 'cause mourinho is staying.

Don't think he will remain in the premiership , a return to Italy looks best bet.

Chelsea 1-1 Everton

Chelsea equalled Liverpool's top flight record of 63 home league games unbeaten, but Everton earned a deserved point from an uninspiring contest.

The first half was woeful, Joe Cole missing the best chance as his left-foot shot trickled inches wide.

Things improved after the break and Everton took a shock lead, Leon Osman squaring for James Vaughan to slot in.

Didier Drogba levelled by sliding in Shaun Wright-Phillips' cross despite protests from the Everton bench.

Boss David Moyes felt that Paulo Ferreira had fouled Mikel Arteta in the build-up and he was sent to the stands for remonstrating with the officials.

But Moyes can be proud of his side's display and can now look forward to Everton's Uefa Cup campaign next term after the result secured a sixth-placed finish.

Neither manager will have been especially happy with the first half - it was almost a complete non-event in the teeming Stamford Bridge rain.

If the Chelsea players were trying to prove they were worth a place in next Saturday's showpiece Wembley FA Cup final, it was hard to tell.

Everton were easily matching their more illustrious opponents and went close when Vaughan's 25-yard dipping volley forced Cech to pluck the ball out of the air.

Salomon Kalou looked Chelsea's main threat as he began to cut in from the left and cause Tony Hibbert a few problems.

He drove inside and forced Tim Howard to save low down, before the Ivorian found Cole inside the area, the England man seeing his left-foot shot roll inches wide of the post.

Jose Mourinho looked appalled by his side's display - and his mood would have darkened even further just five minutes after the restart.

With Chelsea on the offensive, Osman carried the ball into the hosts' half and brilliantly delayed his pass until he could pick out Vaughan at the far post, left unmarked to slot past Cech.

Moments later it could have been game over, Cech making a world-class one-handed save to parry Vaughan's acrobatic volley from Arteta's cross.

But just as the visitors seemed to be dominating, up popped Drogba to rescue his side with a leveller.

The lively Wright-Phillips found room down the right and his clever pull-back was met perfectly by Drogba, arcing the ball away from Howard's despairing dive and into the far corner.

With parity restored Chelsea stepped up a gear, Wayne Bridge forcing Howard to save and substitute Ben Sahar drilling a shot straight at the American from 20 yards.

But Everton should have won it at the death, James McFadden's close-range strike crazily ruled offside by a linesman even though it was James Beattie in an offside position and he was nowhere near the ball.

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho on equalling the record:

"It's nice to have levelled it, but no more than that really.

"We are in football to win trophies and championships, not to break records.

"It's an honour to have the record with a historical Liverpool team of the late 1970s and early 1980s. The culture of being strong at home, we need to keep."

Everton boss David Moyes on finishing sixth:

"This is disappointing, we thought we were going to finish fifth.

"We were incensed by the decision not to award a foul against Paulo Ferreira in the build-up to their goal, it was a terrible decision and it was wrong.

"You have to work really hard for what you get at Chelsea and Petr Cech made a great save when we were 1-0 up. But we played really well today."

Chelsea: Cech, Ferreira, Boulahrouz, Terry, Bridge (Hutchinson 89), Lampard, Mikel (Morais 74), Joe Cole (Sahar 70), Wright-Phillips, Drogba, Kalou.

Subs Not Used: Hilario, Lee Sawyer.

Booked: Bridge, Joe Cole.

Goals: Drogba 57.

Everton: Howard, Hibbert, Yobo, Stubbs, Lescott, Osman, Fernandes (McFadden 77), Neville, Carsley, Arteta, Vaughan (Beattie 72).

Subs Not Used: Turner, Naysmith, Nuno Valente.

Booked: Carsley.

Goals: Vaughan 50.

Att: 41,746.

Ref: M Halsey (Lancashire).

From The Independent:

Shevchenko told to make bigger effort by Mourinho

Jose Mourinho has said that Andrei Shevchenko should not be "happy" with how he has played for Chelsea this season and should stay only if "he wants to try everything to improve" the situation. After a period in which he has publicly attempted to support the Ukraine striker, Mourinho's words amount to another damning attack on the 30-year-old who signed for £31m last summer but has been a source of friction between the manager and the club's owner, Roman Abramovich.

At the same time Mourinho has again told the Chelsea board that he would like to sign Benni McCarthy, who scored 24 goals - 18 in the Premiership - in his first season at Blackburn Rovers. Mourinho has wanted to sign the South African, who played for him at Porto, ever since he joined Chelsea but his attempts have been repeatedly vetoed. However, McCarthy fits the kind of cheaper alternative Chelsea are looking for this summer, although he will cost far more than the £2.5m Blackburn paid for him.

Crucially, McCarthy does not have any clauses in his contract which would facilitate a sale, even though he is aware of Chelsea's interest and is believed to be prepared to ask for a transfer.

On Shevchenko's future, and the prospect of the striker returning to Milan, Mourinho said: "It's up to him. Hopefully, he's not happy. I hope he's not happy with what he has given to this team. And if he's not happy it's a good start."

Asked whether he wanted Shevchenko to remain at Stamford Bridge, Mourinho replied: "He's a Chelsea player. He has a contract. If he's not happy and he wants to try everything to improve, then of course."

Mourinho was at pains to defend all of his signings last summer - Ashley Cole, Salomon Kalou, John Obi Mikel and Michael Ballack - apart from Shevchenko. "Sheva's season was not what everyone was thinking, even myself," he said.

Mourinho's own future remains in some doubt but if he keeps his post he is hoping to sign up to four players this summer including a central defender, a midfielder and a striker, with "two or three leaving". The Portuguese manager said: "I don't think we will be involved in the crazy market and big transfers and big changes...Three or four players are what we are looking for and we are looking at areas quietly."

The first arrival is due to be Reading's Steve Sidwell, whose move to Newcastle United on a free transfer - he is out of contract next month - fell through with the sacking of Glenn Roeder. It is understood that the former Arsenal midfielder has agreed terms with Chelsea. There will also be further discussions as to whether Mourinho will accept the Brazilian defender Alex, who is owned by Chelsea but playing for PSV Eindhoven.

Glen Johnson, on loan to Portsmouth, is likely to be recalled and given the chance to fill the troublesome right-back slot, although Mourinho will probably want further cover for the position especially as he is keen for Paulo Ferriera and Geremi to move on.

It is also understood that Chelsea have started to offer Khalid Boulharouz, who signed only last year for £8m from Hamburg, to clubs around Europe while Claude Makelele, who wants a contract extension, could also leave Stamford Bridge.

Jose: Mikel loss leaves 15 fit

Jose Mourinho has confirmed that John Obi Mikel will miss the FA Cup final, leaving The Blues with just 15 fit players to choose from as they seek to salvage their season at the new Wembley.

Manchester United await in the cup final having already wrestled the league from Chelsea's control, and allowing their rivals to register a double triumph will rank as a bitter blow for the Londoners.

However, Mourinho goes into the highly-anticipated game with an injury crisis to contend with, and the Portuguese is even suggesting - presumably with tongue-in-cheek - that third-choice goalkeeper Hilario could be called up as an emergency substitute.

A hamstring injury sustained by Mikel in the 1-1 draw with Everton on the final day of the season looks to have ended the Nigerian's hopes of appearing against United, with Andrei Shevchenko, Michael Ballack, Ricardo Carvalho and Arjen Robben also set to miss out.

If Ashley Cole shakes off his own fitness concerns then Chelsea will have just 15 first team players fit for the end of season showdown.

"He [Mikel] is out of the game, we will see but I think he is out of the game, and in this moment I have 15 players in the final, exactly 15," Mourinho told Chelsea TV.

"Today [against Everton] the only players I gave protection were [Claude] Makelele and [Michael] Essien, all the others they were not playing, not by decision, they were not playing with injuries and I think nobody can recover.

"Maybe Ash, and if Ashley is ready then we will have 15 players for the final.

"So I have to choose between Hilario - because he is not bad playing forward - or bring a one of the kids to make 16."

Johnson eyes Chelsea spot

Glen Johnson is hoping to win a place in Chelsea's team next year after spending this season on loan with Portsmouth.

The former West Ham defender spent the entire campaign at the South Coast and made 25 league starts under Harry Redknapp.

Johnson has one year left on his Blues contract and he sees no reason why he cannot challenge Paulo Ferreira for the right-back role next term.

"I've got one more year left on my Chelsea contract and the plans is to challenge for a place," he told the Sun.

"Hopefully, the future is bright - and I'm definitely going to Chelsea as a better player."

Johnson has made just 39 league appearances for Chelsea after joining from The Hammers for £6million back in 2003.

Jose considers Hilario role

Jose Mourinho admits he is considering using keeper Hilario as a substitute striker for the FA Cup final.

The Chelsea boss could have only 15 senior players fit for Saturday's Wembley showpiece with Manchester United.

Andrei Shevchenko, Michael Ballack, Ricardo Carvalho, Arjen Robben and John Obi Mikel are already undergoing treatment and serious doubts, while Ashley Cole is facing a race against time to be fit.

With so many concerns Mourinho says third-choice keeper Hilario could be called up as an emergency striker.

"If Ashley is ready we have 15 players for the final," Mourinho said on Chelsea TV.

"I will have to choose between Hilario because he is not bad playing forward, or I'll bring one of the kids to make 16."

Mikel was the latest player to enter the club's busy treatment room after limping off with a muscle injury against Everton on Sunday.

"We will see but I think he is out of the game," admitted Mourinho.

Michael Essien and Claude Makelele were rested against Everton, with Mourinho using youngsters Sam Hutchinson, Ben Sahar and Nuno Morais off the bench.

Terry up for cup clash

Chelsea skipper John Terry says the side are determined to win this weekend's FA Cup final.

The Blues face Manchester United in the first final at the new Wembley hoping to deny the Old Trafford side completing a league and cup double.

Having lost their Premiership crown to United, Terry insists Chelsea are going to go all out to secure the FA Cup.

"We have got a good game to look forward to and we are excited about that," Terry told Sky Sports News.

"We are determined anyway, even if we had won the Premiership we would have had the same determination as we would have had anyway.

"There is no doubting it is a very important trophy for us, for the fans and the club and we are very much up for the game."

Terry is also hopeful that some of Chelsea's injured stars will be back in time for the showpiece occasion.

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has suggested he has just 15 senior players available for the game, but Terry is optimistic some of the injured stars will make the Wembley clash.

"We are struggling for numbers at the minute but I am sure the boys will pull through later in the week and hopefully start training and we will have a few members back," added Terry.

Mourinho arrested over row

Jose Mourinho has been arrested and cautioned after an argument with police over his pet dog.

A report in The Sun claims the Chelsea manager was arrested on Tuesday as he attempted to stop police taking the Yorkshire Terrier away from his London home.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said officers went to an address in central London at 7.45pm with an officer from the Animal Health and Welfare Service.

The paper says police wanted to put the dog into quarantine, for alleged offences under the Animal Health Act of 1981 and the Rabies Order Act of 1974.

They discussed the removal of the animal from the address with the owners.

The Sun adds that Mourinho arrived home at 9pm from the club's player-of-the-year awards and claims he bundled the dog away from police.

"A 44-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of obstructing police and was taken to a west London police station," said the spokesman.

"He subsequently received a caution for obstructing police."

Night of surprises for Player of the Year

A modest Michael Essien spoke of his astonishment at picking up two awards on Tuesday night, including Chelsea Player of the Year 2007.

The 24-year-old Ghanaian added to a memorable and varied second season at the club by collecting both of the honours voted on by supporters.

The other was Goal of the Season and he received them at a lavish ceremony at Battersea Evolution in London, attended by over 1000 of those fans and broadcast live on Chelsea TV.

The climax of the evening, which was hosted by BBC's Gabby Logan and Sky Sports' Matthew Lorenzo, was the moment it was announced that Essien had become the first African to win Player of the Year, that announcement and the trophy presentation made by Chelsea Football Club's life vice-president Lord Attenborough (pictured).

'I am really surprised,' the winner admitted. His head had dropped on to the table in front when he heard the result read out.

'I am really happy for this though. I have to thank the fans and the credit goes to my team-mates. They have been fantastic this season.'

Though taken aback, he had a good idea why he has been so appreciated by the fans.

'I have had to fill in a lot of space, right-back, centre-half, and I did everything for the team. We are all happy for the season. I have enjoyed every moment of it. It has been really hard for us and I think we deserve credit.'

Essien himself certainly received more credit when the evening's presentation ceremony commenced with the supporters' vote on Goal of the Season. His 35-yard thunderbolt against Arsenal at Stamford Bridge in December topped the poll.

'I meant to do it,' he confirmed. 'I called to Frank [Lampard], he gave me the ball and the first thing that came into my mind was to shoot. They are one of our big rivals so to score a fantastic goal against them is nice. But I am surprised it won.'

The best goal award had been presented by BBC Match of the Day's Gary Lineker.

For the main Player of the Year accolade, Essien had beaten competition from Didier Drogba and Ricardo Carvalho, the two other nominees by most votes gained.

Charlie Cooke, a double Chelsea Player of the Year from 1968 and 1975, paid tribute to that achievement.

'I think it could have been any of them but you have to say well deserved Michael Essien. He's such a powerful player that you could play him almost anywhere in defence and midfield and he is going to do a good job. In the midfield, no doubt at all - world class.'

Cooke was there to hand over the adidas Chelsea Young Player of the Year award which went to another African - John Mikel Obi.

'I am happy with the way I am improving at Chelsea and I made the right choice in coming here,' said the 20-year-old Nigerian after the quality in his first season in London had been recognised.

'The manager and the rest of the players have been very nice to me and I want to thank the manager for giving me the opportunity to prove myself even though we have lots of big players here.'

There was consolation for Drogba for missing out on the main honour when his team-mates, and the staff he works with day-to-day at the training ground, chose the team's top scorer as Samsung Players' Player of the Year.

'It means a lot for me,' he said. 'I want to thank my mates because they don't know how much I love them for what they did for me all season. They gave everything for me.'

Drogba had collected his trophy from another to have led the attack for Chelsea - Gianluca Vialli who received a tremendous reception.

Another appropriate ex-Blue to hand over an award, and the very first Player of the Year for his goalkeeping excellence back in 1967, was Peter Bonetti.

He presented a new award for Outstanding Achievement which went to Petr Cech in recognition of his remarkable comeback from serious injury.

'Everyone was looking out for me, everyone helped me when I was in a difficult situation and everyone involved in Chelsea Football Club - supporters, medical department, players - take huge credit for my achievement,' Cech said.

'They gave me the energy and the motivation to come back as soon as I could.'

The other honour of the night was the Young Talent award for the Academy player who has impressed the most, chosen by director of youth development Frank Arnesen, Academy manager Neil Bath and reserve team coach Brendan Rodgers.

It went to striker Ben Sahar who at the age of 17 became Chelsea's youngest ever international appearance maker and goalscorer.

The full list of Chelsea Player of the Year winners is:

1967 Peter Bonetti

1968 Charlie Cooke

1969 David Webb

1970 John Hollins

1971 John Hollins

1972 David Webb

1973 Peter Osgood

1974 Gary Locke

1975 Charlie Cooke

1976 Ray Wilkins

1977 Ray Wilkins

1978 Micky Droy

1979 Tommy Langley

1980 Clive Walker

1981 Petar Borota

1982 Mike Fillery

1983 Joey Jones

1984 Pat Nevin

1985 David Speedie

1986 Eddie Niedzwiecki

1987 Pat Nevin

1988 Tony Dorigo

1989 Graham Roberts

1990 Ken Monkou

1991 Andy Townsend

1992 Paul Elliott

1993 Frank Sinclair

1994 Steve Clarke

1995 Erland Johnsen

1996 Ruud Gullit

1997 Mark Hughes

1998 Dennis Wise

1999 Gianfranco Zola

2000 Dennis Wise

2001 John Terry

2002 Carlo Cudicini

2003 Gianfranco Zola

2004 Frank Lampard

2005 Frank Lampard

2006 John Terry

2007 Michael Essien

Buck: Jose has money to spend

Bruce Buck says Jose Mourinho will have money to spend on strengthening his squad in the summer - but it is likely to be less than last year.

The Chelsea chairman says a reduction in spending on new players was necessary if the club are to get close to their target of being "profitable" by 2010.

Since Roman Abramovich started bankrolling the club in 2003 Chelsea have spent an astonishing £300m on new players but announced losses totalling £80m in February.

"A lot of it will depend on big money transfers, the less of those we make the easier it will be to meet our plan," Buck told Reuters.

"Every year our transfers have gone down so we're making a lot of headway. Young fellows are coming up from the academy, we think, and we are moving towards a break-even model.

"I don't think we as fans can expect unlimited funds from Mr Abramovich forever, that's ridiculous to even contemplate."

Buck said there would be no demand that players were sold before Mourinho could bring new faces in, but stressed the club wanted to keep the first-team squad down to 24 players.

He explained: "Every summer we'll have a couple of players in and a couple of players out. Everyone recognises in light of what we've been through this year, we'll probably need another central-defender, maybe a striker and maybe a midfielder."

Buck admitted Mourinho had wanted to bring in a central-defender in the January transfer window after the injury to John Terry, but the prices quoted for their targets were too high.

"We looked at some players that we all liked, but the proposed financial arrangements weren't appropriate so we didn't do it," he added.

"There's one price for Mr Abramovich and one price for everyone else and we have to close that gap as much as we can."

Cole: I've let side down

Ashley Cole admits he has had a disappointing season in his first campaign at Chelsea.

The England defender secured a controversial move to Stamford Bridge from Arsenal last August, but has rarely managed to find his best form.

He has also been carrying an ankle injury, and Jose Mourinho acknowledged earlier this week that it had not been an easy season for Cole.

Cole feels unhappy with his contribution and concedes that Chelsea have been poor in defence at times, but is determined to improve next term.

"To be honest, I do feel I've let the team and the manager down a bit because I've not played as well as I know I can and I've had this niggling ankle injury," he told The Times.

"There have been games where we've maybe been a bit dodgy at the back and conceded silly goals and this season has really taken its toll.

"But I'm hoping that next season I can stay fit and really prove how good I am."

Chelsea have struggled with injuries to important players this season and Cole believes the Premiership could have turned out differently if certain players, particularly goalkeeper Petr Cech, had stayed fit.

He explained: "We've had terrible injuries. If we hadn't lost all these key players at such vital times I think we'd have been cruising the league, no question.

"No disrespect to Hilario and Carlo (Cudicini), who've both done really well when they've come in, but Petr alone wins you a minimum of ten points over a season."

Jose is in the mood for Saturday... From The Times:

Chelsea manager relishes prospect of fulfilling his childhood dream

As a young boy growing up in the luxurious surroundings provided by a wealthy uncle and his international goal-keeping father, José Mourinho was encouraged to think big, which, given his restless personality, was probably just as well.

While his friends fantasised about representing Vitória Setúbal – the local team whose stadium was partly funded by the family – Mourinho had more grandiose ambitions, dreaming of winning the World Cup, European Cup and FA Cup, in addition to the more homely Portuguese Cup. The quest for an unlikely quadruple has been with him for an awfully long time.

As with many of the players in his slipstream, Mourinho will be fulfilling a childhood dream when he leads Chelsea out at Wembley, as well as moving closer towards the realisation of a lifelong ambition. With the Portuguese and European Cup secured while at FC Porto – and an invitation to coach his country likely to be forthcoming as soon as he requests it – Saturday’s match against Manchester United gives him the opportunity to complete the third leg of a very personal grand slam.

“I’m not English but it’s a special final because it’s the new Wembley and it means a lot,” Mourinho said. “For me, it means remembering my youth, when I was a young fan and in love with the game. There were a few trophies I always dreamed of winning, a few matches I always dreamed of participating in, and the FA Cup Final was one of those.

“As a kid you look more for finals than for competitions. You are more focused on finals, on one-off matches. And, for me, the matches were the Portuguese Cup final, because that had meaning for us, the FA Cup Final, because it was a game everybody was waiting for all year to watch on TV, the European Cup and the World Cup final. So if I can realise this dream it would be fantastic.”

Mourinho’s good mood even stretched to paying a tribute to Graham Poll, the referee who is to retire this month, after a season of confrontation with the official. “It is a great quality to decide when to stop,” Mourinho said. “Only intelligent people can do it. I wish Mr Poll a great future in his new life. I always remember him as a great referee.”

Mourinho’s obsessive search for silverware undermined his team at certain points this season, particularly given the way they faded in the Premiership and Champions League, but it has done wonders for the FA Cup. Even in the early rounds against Macclesfield Town and Nottingham Forest, the Chelsea manager sent out a message by picking his strongest team, before inspiring his players to come from 3-1 down in the quarter-final against Tottenham Hotspur.

In addition to the Wembley factor, such determination may have sprung from Mourinho’s culpability in Chelsea’s last two FA Cup exits, when he made three substitutes at half-time only to suffer an injury crisis away to Newcastle United two years ago and his eccentric team selection in last season’s semi-final against Liverpool. Not that he’d admit it, mind.

“This is something we chased a lot,” Mourinho said. “It’s something that, from the first day, we said we wanted to be there, to play at Wembley in the first FA Cup Final. Chelsea was in the last final at the old Wembley and wanted to be at the first of the new one. I never made rotation and felt afraid of being out of the Cup. I think we have to enjoy the fact that we are there and we have to play the final with happiness, not with pressure.”

As a child, Mourinho’s most fervent Cup Final hope was for a replay that would deliver another televised match. “One final I remember is Coventry against Tottenham, in 1987,” he said. “That was great. Watching with my family, we were always in doubt over who was going to win, supporting the small team but hoping that if either team scored the other one would equalise so there would be another game.”

I'm really looking forward to the Final.. I hope it's a great game and may the best team win... :o (as long as it's us of course.. :D )

Drogba collects Golden Boot award

Chelsea striker Didier Drogba has been presented with the Premiership Golden Boot after finishing the season as top scorer with 20 goals.

The 29-year-old also received a £21,000 donation to the charity of his choice.

Blackburn striker Benni McCarthy was second in the race for the league's top scorer with 18, ahead of Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo on 17.

Drogba is the first Chelsea player to win the Golden Boot since Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink in 2001.

Arsenal's Thierry Henry has picked up the award for the last three years.

I know what your saying Muckypups, I'm sure its going to be a cracking final, I reckon it will be all guns blazing from the off, tasty tackles flying in all over the place!! When it comes to showing the men from the boys there is only going to be one winner.....and thats THE MIGHTY BLUES!! :o

Ballack effect concerns Brooking

Sir Trevor Brooking believes Michael Ballack's arrival at Chelsea has had an adverse effect on Frank Lampard.

Ballack will miss the FA Cup final against Manchester United on Saturday and ex-West Ham and England striker Brooking says that is good for Lampard.

"Michael Ballack likes to be the attacking player and sometimes Frank has had to go out on the left, which is not his best position," said Brooking.

"As Ballack is not available it allows Frank to be more of a danger."

Brooking, who is the Football Association's director of football development, added: "I expect Frank will play a more prominent role.

"I imagine he will play on the forward tip of the diamond, if they line up like that, and that he'll be freer to push forward where he can be such a threat."

Ballack arrived at Stamford Bridge last summer, along with striker Andriy Shevchenko, after his contract with Bayern Munich came to an end.

But both players have struggled to make an impact with Chelsea and Shevchenko will also miss the FA Cup final because of injury.

The showpiece at Wembley represents Chelsea's only chance to add to the Carling Cup during a season in which Manchester United wrestled the Premiership title off them and Liverpool knocked them out of the Champions League at the semi-final stage.

"There's no question that Ballack and Andriy Shevchenko haven't been as strong as Chelsea would have liked," added Brooking.

"They haven't made the impact expected.

"A lot of overseas players find the pace of the game tough in England, even with all the skills they have.

"Shevchenko doesn't quite seem to have that yard of pace to get away from opposition defenders," he said.

"Whether that's a result of the World Cup or the effects of some lingering injuries I don't know.

"His form has been a problem for Chelsea. When wide men like Joe Cole or Arjen Robben have been injured they have found it difficult to get behind teams.

"To compensate they've had to rely on Didier Drogba's goals. For Chelsea the most important thing against United will be getting the support for Drogba who has carried the scoring."

The press is awash with Cup Final build up stories I'm pleased to say.. :o

Interesting interview with Drogba...From The Mail..: (bit long though..sorry about that..)

The making of Drogba: 'I knew I'd arrived when John Terry and Frank Lampard said they believed in me'

By JAMIE REDKNAPP

Have you ever seen a striker defend his goal with as much relish and force as Didier Drogba? "Yeah, me and John Terry both go hunting for the ball. We compete to be the first to get there.

"Sometimes, I want to win the ball so much, I forget about the man who I was meant to be marking. That has cost us goals this season."

He smiles as he tells the story. In fact, he smiles a lot during the four hours he is with us for a photoshoot and interview.

No sign of the ferocious monster of a centre forward who has battered opponents in the Premiership and the Champions League this season — in defence, as well as attack.

Alan Shearer was pretty good — the best I played with — at defending the near post and dominating that space, but Drogba puts as much into defending the box as he does attacking the glory at the other end.

He has a sense of duty, when most of us were just making up the numbers, happy to leave the defending to the guys with the cuts and scars.

It will be the same story in the FA Cup Final tomorrow. He is very proud to be walking out at Wembley.

"When I was a young boy in Africa, I used to love to watch the FA Cup Final. Africa stops for this match. It is an important game. It is the only domestic trophy this group working under Jose Mourinho have not won."

These are the words of a striker on top of his game and on top of the world. Is there a better centre forward in the game right now? "I am very proud when I hear people say things like this about me," he says softly.

"This year, I have felt like I did in Marseille, with all my confidence restored. When I am like this, I know that I can make the difference on the pitch. I can see that my team-mates trust me; they believe I can score at any moment, even in the last minute.

"When you have this feeling, you come out on to the pitch relaxed because you’re on top of the world. But, you know, being the best striker in the world means nothing because it is just one season.

"I need to see what happens next year and the one after that. The potential is there, but you have to be aware that everything can change through bad luck or injuries.

"Just look at Thierry Henry and Samuel Eto’o, who have been very unlucky this season. To be the best, really the best, you have to be good again and again and again."

There is a calm and a charm about Drogba. He enjoys the attention of the camera so much, there is no time to move his car. Instead, I am dispatched to find an alternative parking space.

Our meeting takes place shortly after Chelsea have been knocked out of the Champions League by Liverpool. What sort of mood will Drogba be in?

"Am I sad to have lost out on the two biggest trophies of the season? Of course I am, but the day after the defeat at Anfield, I woke up to the news that four Chelsea fans had been killed in a helicopter crash on their way back from the game.

"I remember thinking to myself, 'Didier, you went to Liverpool and lost a match; others went there and lost their lives'."

His answer says much about him. This is a deep-thinking, intelligent man, a fascinating interview subject. And, as we know, one hel_l of a centre forward.

Only last week Sir Alex Ferguson admitted he once considered signing the Ivory Coast international and believed this season, as Drogba scored and scored again, that the only way to stop Chelsea would be to shoot their No 11.

How Manchester United stop Drogba tomorrow could determine the outcome of the FA Cup Final. Just like Cristiano Ronaldo, Drogba has re-invented himself.

We thought he was overpriced last season, that he spent more time collapsing to the floor than leading the line. He was branded a cheat and a diver and his popularity was low.

Now he has hit 32 goals in all, he is the top scorer in the Premiership and he plays as if it would take a tank to put him on the deck.

"I got stronger and learned to stay on my feet," he admits. "No, no one at the club talked about it, though sometimes my friends would tease me and say, 'Oh look, Didier is on the floor again'. But I never felt it was that big a deal.

"You know, the cultures are different in France and England, so for me to adapt to your football required many adjustments.

"In France, I never had to use my arms to protect myself because as soon as a forward is touched, the referee blows his whistle. Here, I realised you had to look after yourself on the pitch.

"First of all, I didn’t want to leave Marseille. I was sold against my will, so it is no surprise I was a bit unhappy to start with.

"It’s not that I didn’t want to come to Chelsea; it’s just that I was settled in Marseille. If I am being honest, for the first season I was in Chelsea but my heart was still in Marseille.

"And the pace of the game over here is unbelievable. It took me a long time to get to grips with it. I still managed to score important goals in my first two seasons but not as many as I have this season.

"The moment I really realised I had established myself in England was when two particular players told me they believed in me.

"When those compliments come from John Terry and Frank Lampard, the two main men for Chelsea and England, it makes you feel very good. Right now, I’m a very happy man."

He cares about his image, too, and would sit for hours studying videos of every game; watching his own performances, but also learning to understand the runs and movements of his team-mates, especially a player such as Joe Cole.

He realised, as he watched those videos, that he had to change his playing style. Since then, there have been times this season when he has seemed unstoppable.

My personal highlights include the goal against Liverpool when he controlled the ball, turned and smashed a shot past Pepe Reina.

There was also the winner at Everton, to keep Chelsea in competition with Manchester United for the Premiership title.

It was a contest they eventually lost, but Drogba almost led the crusade alone. When Chelsea walked around Stamford Bridge on their lap of thanks last Sunday, along with Lampard and Mourinho, Drogba was still saluted like a champion.

It has been an astounding rise for the striker, aged 29. His game now is about raw power, strength, running into the channels, holding up the ball, bringing his team-mates into play. His confidence is high, but it has taken time.

"I came to France from the Ivory Coast when I was just five," recalls the African Footballer of the Year. "I lived with my uncle [a professional footballer called Michel Goba] in northern France and played football here and there, but because we moved around a lot I was never able to make a name for myself anywhere.

"Then, when my parents decided to move to France with my other siblings, all nine of us lived in a tiny, one-bedroom flat in the suburbs of Paris. It was tough, but it made me want to get out and play as much as possible.

"Even when people started noticing me, I still wasn’t being signed up. I had to wait until I was 20 to join a club and even then they were a second division team called Le Mans."

It took four years for him to get a big break, moving to newly promoted first division side Guingamp in 2002. He has since become a £24million striker.

"Everything has gone very fast from there. I spent one season there and then got a move to the biggest club in France — Marseille. Just one season later, I was joining the richest club in the world — Chelsea. It’s been a mad few years."

Playing for Mourinho clearly agrees with him. He speaks passionately about his manager. "This man gave me everything," he says.

"Do you realise that when he arrived at Chelsea [in 2004] he could have bought any striker in the world, but he chose me. No one had heard of me, but he was sure I was the man to lead the line. That sort of confidence makes you feel very special.

"I know he says some crazy things sometimes, but this guy has something special. He can really fill his players with confidence.

"When you walk into the changing rooms the day before a big game and he tells you that you are one of his 'untouchables', it makes you feel incredible.

"That’s why if Mourinho does go, it will be very difficult for me. I’m a professional, so I will honour my contract and maintain the same level of performance, but it would hurt me a lot."

It has not always been that way with his manager. He describes their tensions last season as "my little war with Jose" and continues: "Before the end of last season, I sat down with Mourinho and told him I didn’t enjoy the way we played the game.

"I told him that I had given my all for the good of the team playing alone up front in our old 4-3-3 system, but that it was probably time for me to move on.

"I felt a bit unappreciated. This is not me being arrogant, but I felt the Chelsea fans did not show me enough respect last season.

"Maybe I didn’t do what they expected of me, but I was working really hard and their criticism hurt me. But then I went off to the World Cup and did a lot of soul-searching.

"In the end, I just really wanted to stay at Chelsea. I realised that some of the criticism was perhaps justified and I needed to work harder and improve. I wanted to come back and show everyone how good I really was." He has done that.

"I could not leave these shores until I had made it in English football. I’m too proud. That’s not to say that I’m now ready to go, because I want to stay at Chelsea and win many more trophies in the future.

"But at least I can relax because I now know I’m good enough to impose myself in the Premier League. When AC Milan came in for me last summer it was very tempting but I was determined not to give up that easily.

"I was too proud to walk away from Chelsea and wanted to show everyone I could be No 1 over here. My work at Chelsea is not finished, however. There is still plenty left to achieve."

We certainly haven’t heard the last of Didier Drogba.

Another longish piece from The Mail on Peter Cech.. but if anybody deserves it's him.. A very courageous man IMO

Now Cech is aiming to teach boyhood idol Edwin a lesson

Among the messages of support Petr Cech received when he was recovering from brain surgery last year was a fax signed by everyone in the Manchester United team.

For the most part the names on the sheet represented respected, sympathetic fellow professionals and sometime rivals for the Chelsea goalkeeper.

But 36-year-old Edwin van der Sar’s stood out as a player Cech had been influenced by as a child.

The FA Cup Final, in which the pair will face each other at Wembley on Saturday, never made it on to his TV as grew up in then Communist-run Czechoslovakia.

Yet the Champions League Final was different story and Cech has vivid memories of Van der Sar helping kick Ajax to glory in 1995 against AC Milan in Vienna.

He said: “At that time he was a great example when the new rule came in that meant goalkeepers could not pick up back passes. Everybody could see that he was playing well with both feet and they were using him a lot.

“He showed that in the future everyone should develop their kicking. When he played in that final I was 13 and for me he was a good example for one of the ways I should work. In this aspect he was the one who caught my eye.”

Cech’s footwork is one of the many impressive parts of his game and when he lists Peter Schmeichel and Gianluigi Buffon as other goalkeeping influences, it helps explain his rounded style.

Many at Chelsea, and beyond, have little doubt the club would have retained their Premiership title if their No1 keeper had not missed the start and the middle of the season recovering from a shoulder operation and fractured skull. Cech would more than likely been voted the league’s best goalkeeper too, but instead the award went to Dutchman Van der Sar.

The Czech international said: “I voted for him. He had a great season and you always need a good goalkeeper to be successful. They won the league and he was solid for the whole campaign.”

Although the form of the keepers on Saturday could be decisive, most United watchers expect the difference to come in attacking play.

United are less cautious than Jose Mourinho’s team and have a wealth of creative talent which Chelsea lack.

Arjen Robben’s absence after his knee operation in March emphasised the point and on Saturday he may only be able to offer his side a 20-minute burst.

The Dutch winger warned the fitness and guile of the man he was almost bought from PSV to replace three years ago at Old Trafford, Ryan Giggs, could be one of Chelsea’s biggest problems at Wembley.

Robben said: “When I was younger and started to watch English football a little bit more I was quite a fan of him.

“He’s had a great career and even now even though he’s 33 he looks so fit and sharp still. He can win games for United.

“Maybe he’s lost pace but he makes up for it with experience. It’s the perfect example of it this season. He was one of the most important players for United in winning the league.”

Cech hopes to keep the Welshman quiet and celebrate another clean sheet when he turns 25 years old on Sunday.

His family are coming over from the Czech Republic for the game but, unlike most foreign players who come to England, they cannot claim any longstanding love affair with the FA Cup.

Cech only viewed his first full final four years ago — Arsenal’s 1-0 win against Southampton, which featured Ashley Cole. He was with with Rennes in France at the time and he is relieved his friends back home will be able him in his debut Final.

He said: “In the past few years the Cup Final has been on telly in the Czech Republic, thank God. You have got so many fans of Chelsea, Manchester United and Arsenal because of Tomas Rosicky, so I am happy they can see the Final.

“I never had the chance to watch the FA Cup growing up because in the former Czechoslovakia at that time it wasn’t on.

“You couldn’t see any Premiership games and there were just the highlights in a sports bulletin for like 40 seconds, you could see only goals.”

His experience could not have been more different from Mourinho’s, for whom watching the Cup Final was one of the annual football highlights of his childhood.

The Portuguese used to dream of winning the trophy and enjoyed about how special the FA Cup Final is but when you cannot see the game you don’t realise.

“When I saw the first game I realised how much it meant to the players and the fans to be in the final.

“Before I came to England I didn’t know much about the FA Cup but since I arrived it has been incredible and now I understand.”

Mourinho is considering bringing back Ashley Cole and playing Wayne Bridge in front of him in midfield.

Michael Ballack is out, Robben and John Obi Mikel are doubtful and the absence of defender Ricardo Carvalho is likely to force Michael Essien into the back four.

Mourinho said: “Ashley or Bridge — I have to make my decision. Who knows, I could play with both because Bridge can also play in midfield and we are struggling with players there.”

Mikel is determined to play despite suffering a hamstring problem last weekend but the Portuguese doubts his ability to come through 90 minutes and the same goes for Robben, who has made one substitute appearance since knee surgery in March.

Mourinho said: “If Ashley and Robben are fit from the body point of view, I have many doubts they have good conditions to play the game.

“But if I can have Robben on the bench to give 15 or 20 minutes, I would be very happy with that.

“Mikel is a risk, especially in a final where you have 90 intense minutes and the chance of 30 more.”

Archived