Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

Cech rubbishes talk of payback

Petr Cech insists Chelsea are not fuelled by thoughts of revenge for their UEFA Champions League semi-final against Liverpool.

The teams met at the same stage of the tournament two years ago when a controversial goal from Luis Garcia sealed a narrow Reds win.

Liverpool then went on to lift the trophy and Cech insists it is the possibility of silverware that motivates The Blues, rather than talk of vendettas.

"The tie with Liverpool is not a replay of the one two years ago. We don't look at it like that. Our goal is not payback but getting into the final," Cech told his personal website.

The Czech expects Rafa Benitez's team to be dangerous opposition.

"They have been knocked out of the Carling Cup, the FA Cup and they cannot win the Premiership either, so the Champions League is the last chance for them to win a trophy."

Cech does not believe having the first leg of the tie at Stamford Bridge will have any bearing on the eventual outcome of the tie.

"We know the atmosphere at Liverpool and they know Stamford Bridge. That is why I don't think it matters at all the first leg is at home."

• Replies 15.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mourinho bigs up Bison

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho admits that losing Michael Essien for their UEFA Champions League semi-final first leg tie with Liverpool is a huge blow.

Essien is suspended for the match at Stamford Bridge and his presence will be hugely missed.

The Ghanaian, nicknamed The Bison, has proved his worth in central defence as well as midfield and he would have been in-line to play in that role against Liverpool with Ricardo Carvalho injured.

"Essien is a special player. He is an athlete. He can run forever," said Mourinho.

"He could play a game every day. He is a superb athlete. When we lost him one month ago it was a big, big loss.

"But he was ready to come back for the Valencia game."

Mourinho admits that both Carvalho and Michael Ballack are major doubts.

"Carvalho is injured - and I don't think he can play against Liverpool," Mourinho announced.

"And with Ballack, the only thing I know is that he couldn't walk on the pitch. With him we will have to see."

One man in line to replace Ballack will be John Obi Mikel - who Mourinho feels is beginning to prove himself in West London.

"When I have such great role models, it is easy to educate the boy," said Mourinho.

"I could say `did you see [Frank] Lampard coming in late, [Ricardo] Carvalho training bad or [Michael] Ballack making a mistake with the shirt? Did you see John Terry not playing because he has a small injury?'

"It is easy to do it. I think I had an easy job. I asked some players - Didier [Drogba], Maka [Makelele] and African boys more connected in the cultural level - to help me with this fight - and the progression was fantastic!

"Around the world we have some players in that position with different qualities. John with the ball is so simple and simple in football in this kind of position means genius.

"I think he's a genius in that position. He doesn't lose the ball and he passes the ball so simply. He plays one or two-touch football and the team plays a very good possession game with him in that position.

"And defensively, he is improving a lot. I think his best position is that position."

Mourinho bigs up Bison

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho admits that losing Michael Essien for their UEFA Champions League semi-final first leg tie with Liverpool is a huge blow.

Essien is suspended for the match at Stamford Bridge and his presence will be hugely missed.

The Ghanaian, nicknamed The Bison, has proved his worth in central defence as well as midfield and he would have been in-line to play in that role against Liverpool with Ricardo Carvalho injured.

"Essien is a special player. He is an athlete. He can run forever," said Mourinho.

"He could play a game every day. He is a superb athlete. When we lost him one month ago it was a big, big loss.

"But he was ready to come back for the Valencia game."

Mourinho admits that both Carvalho and Michael Ballack are major doubts.

"Carvalho is injured - and I don't think he can play against Liverpool," Mourinho announced.

"And with Ballack, the only thing I know is that he couldn't walk on the pitch. With him we will have to see."

One man in line to replace Ballack will be John Obi Mikel - who Mourinho feels is beginning to prove himself in West London.

"When I have such great role models, it is easy to educate the boy," said Mourinho.

"I could say `did you see [Frank] Lampard coming in late, [Ricardo] Carvalho training bad or [Michael] Ballack making a mistake with the shirt? Did you see John Terry not playing because he has a small injury?'

"It is easy to do it. I think I had an easy job. I asked some players - Didier [Drogba], Maka [Makelele] and African boys more connected in the cultural level - to help me with this fight - and the progression was fantastic!

"Around the world we have some players in that position with different qualities. John with the ball is so simple and simple in football in this kind of position means genius.

"I think he's a genius in that position. He doesn't lose the ball and he passes the ball so simply. He plays one or two-touch football and the team plays a very good possession game with him in that position.

"And defensively, he is improving a lot. I think his best position is that position."

sawadee cap seapok , what what about your predictions for the game then mate. Chelski's confidence cant be to high after the dissapointing result against the Geordies ,ripe for the taking :o . Just a good job for you lot that the boy Garcia is not playing eh :D:D:D .

This from The Independent:

Mourinho will face problems in talk with Abramovich

Last night Jose Mourinho was at the wrestling in London's Earls Court with his children - today he will grapple with the issue of his future at Chelsea and the more immediate problem of how he is to patch up his defence for tomorrow's European Cup semi-final first leg against Liverpool.

Mourinho is set to meet Roman Abramovich to hear face-to-face what changes the Chelsea owner wants him to make. That meeting could take place as early as today, with the Russian billionaire - whose right-hand man, Eugene Tenenbaum, spoke to Mourinho last Thursday to outline the conditions - likely to set out exactly what he expects. In truth, most of the conditions are fairly nebulous and amount to little more than a rap across the knuckles - such as Mourinho being less confrontational, complaining less in public and behaving better.

But there are likely to be the more problematic areas, such as Abramovich wanting greater input into team affairs, more exciting football and additions to the club's technical staff - with possibly a general manager being appointed - that are likely to be less easily resolved. Furthermore, Abramovich is only likely to decide truly on Mourinho's future when the season is over and he knows which trophies have been won.

There will also be a discussion on which players - and what kind of level of spending Abramovich wants to sanction - Chelsea will target this summer. Mourinho, whose willingness to listen has opened up the possibility of him staying as Chelsea manager, has made clear he needs at least two new defenders - as well as another striker - to add to a squad who will be stretched even further by next January's African Nations Cup. Mourinho is acutely aware that he will lose his two most impressive performers - the Ivorian Didier Drogba and the Ghanaian Michael Essien - to that competition.

He will also have to do without the latter tomorrow. Essien is suspended while four other Chelsea players - Drogba, Michael Ballack, Joe Cole, Lassana Diarra - are on yellow cards and will miss next week's second leg at Anfield if they are booked. Ballack is struggling with injury, sustained in the disappointing draw against Newcastle United on Sunday, as is Ricardo Carvalho, who missed that game. The possible absence of the Portuguese defender, plus Essien, who scored the winning goal in the quarter-final against Valencia, will leave Mourinho with a quandary.

The Chelsea manager clearly does not rate Khalid Boulahrouz and will no doubt ruefully reflect on how the Dutchman was one player apparently already imposed upon him, while Paulo Ferreira has been less than impressive this season, especially when shifted to central defence.

Nevertheless Drogba remains confident. "We're not far from winning the Champions League, even if it's not this season then next," the striker, who has 31 goals this season, said. "We don't give up and we will win it."

Chelsea star held on drink charge

Chelsea star Michael Essien has been arrested on suspicion of drink-driving.

The 24-year-old footballer was released on bail pending further inquiries after he was pulled over by police on the Old Kent Road, south London, on Monday.

It is reported the midfielder, who is suspended for the Champions League clash with Liverpool, had been driving a black Range Rover.

Scotland Yard confirmed a 24-year-old man had been stopped in Southwark and arrested by officers.

A Scotland Yard spokeswoman said: "At approximately 0510 BST yesterday morning officers in Southwark stopped a vehicle driving in the Old Kent Road.

"Officers spoke with the driver and subsequently arrested a 24-year-old man on suspicion of drink-driving.

"He has been bailed to July pending inquiries."

sawadee cap seapok , what what about your predictions for the game then mate. Chelski's confidence cant be to high after the dissapointing result against the Geordies ,ripe for the taking :o . Just a good job for you lot that the boy Garcia is not playing eh :D:D:D .

Hello Scousemouse, I'm sure we will turn you over at the bridge, I reckon by 2-0. Getting a draw at Newcastle could be a good thing, it might spur us on and make us even more determined to bang in a few goals.

As long as we don't concede a goal I'm feeling confident we will score in both legs! your lucky Essien and maybe Ballack are out for tomorrow's game!

Mixed news for Blues

Chelsea received mixed news on the injury front on Tuesday, as Ricardo Carvalho joined in training with his team-mates but Michael Ballack was forced to sit out the session.

Carvalho missed Sunday's draw with Newcastle due to injury and coach Jose Mourinho said the defender was most unlikely to feature against Liverpool in the UEFA Champions League on Wednesday.

The Portuguese said: "Carvalho is injured - and I don't think he can play against Liverpool."

However, the classy centre-half could be in contention to face The Reds after coming through a training session on Tuesday.

The news on Germany international Ballack is less positive, as the ankle problem he picked up at Newcastle is still causing him discomfort and he did not feature in Tuesday's training session.

Ballack limped off following a challenge from Titus Bramble and he seems unlikely to figure at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday.

Jose's Drogba worry

Jose Mourinho has cranked up the heat on the eve of Chelsea's UEFA Champions League semi-final with Liverpool by claiming he would not be surprised if The Reds attempted to get Didier Drogba booked.

Ivory Coast star Drogba is one of a number of Chelsea players one booking away from a suspension and Mourinho feels Liverpool could attempt to force him into a rush of blood which would lead to a caution.

The Portuguese tactician has also accused Liverpool striker Dirk Kuyt of picking up a deliberate booking in the first leg of their quarter-final win over PSV Eindhoven in order to serve a suspension in the second leg.

"We don't have four important players and there is another factor that can play an important part and that is that they don't have yellow cards," Mourinho said on Sky Sports News.

"They had the chance even to clean cards. You see for example when Kuyt gets a yellow card in the last minute against PSV it is because he does not want to play the second game in order to be clean for the rest of the competition.

"Chelsea had a group with Werder Bremen, a group with Barcelona, two games with Porto and two games with Valencia and we have Essien suspended and a lot of players with two yellow cards.

"And it would not surprise me tomorrow if they chase Drogba for 90 minutes and try to get him suspended for the second game."

Lampard wants to be great

Frank Lampard believes he cannot be considered a great player until he has won the UEFA Champions League.

Chelsea host Liverpool in a semi-final first leg at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday, live on Sky Sports 1, in a rematch from 2005.

Much of the talk pre-match has been of The Blues' opportunity to avenge their controversial defeat by The Reds at this same stage two years ago.

However Lampard claims he and Chelsea have loftier ambitions.

"I feel I've shown what I can do but it is about winning titles and medals. I understand the argument that says to be a really great player you have to be able to show the medals you've won," Lampard told the Daily Mirror.

"The Champions League is the big one, the one I haven't got. Of course the Premiership is massive. At the start, when it all began to come together at the club, it was important to do something big domestically and what we've achieved is huge.

"We've won the Premiership twice, hopefully we will do it a third time and now there is a desperate hunger to win the Champions League as well.

"For me to have that medal around my neck would fill the box and complete the square. Great players need to be part of great sides, winning teams.

"In five or 10 years' time I want to be able to look back at what I've done.

"I want to have those Champions League medals alongside the Premiership ones.

"That will show what I've achieved beyond any doubts."

Chelsea v Liverpool

Champions League semi-final, 1st leg

Date: Wednesday, 25 April

Kick-off: 1945 BST

Venue: Stamford Bridge

Referee: Markus Merk(Germany)

Listen: BBC Radio Five Live

Updates: BBC Sport website and mobile

Chelsea midfielder Michael Ballack has been ruled out of the Champions League first-leg semi-final with Liverpool at Stamford Bridge due to an ankle injury.

The Blues are also without winger Arjen Robben (knee) and midfielder Michael Essien (suspended), but defender Ricardo Carvalho did train on Tuesday.

Liverpool right-back Steve Finnan has recovered from a neck injury.

England international Jamie Carragher is set to equal Ian Callaghan's club record of 89 European games.

Chelsea (from): Cech, Cudicini, Hilario, Ferreira, Geremi, Diarra, Terry, Boulahrouz, A Cole, Bridge, Makelele, Essien, Mikel, Lampard, Drogba, Shevchenko, Kalou, Wright-Phillips, J Cole.

Liverpool (from): Reina, Finnan, Arbeloa, Carragher, Hyypia, Agger, Riise, Pennant, Gerrard, Alonso, Sissoko, Mascherano, Fowler, Kuyt, Bellamy, Crouch, Dudek, Zenden.

BIG MATCH STATS

Definitions of terms used:-

Champions League (CL) - only group phase matches and beyond of this competition which began in 1992-93.

Champions Cup/Champions League - all matches played since it began in 1955-56 including qualification matches.

European matches - all matches played in the major European tournaments (Fairs Cup, Uefa Cup, Cup Winners' Cup, Champions Cup, Champions League).

Uefa Super Cups, Intertoto Cups and the old Intercontinental Cup competition are excluded.

Head-to-heads

Chelsea and Liverpool have played each other four times in European history, all in the Champions League. All four meetings took place in 2005. In 2004-05, Liverpool knocked out Chelsea in the semi-final stage (0-0, 1-0). Both teams met in the group stage in the following season, drawing 0-0 twice. So, in these four matches, only one goal has been scored, by Luis Garcia.

Liverpool have been eliminated twice by an English club in the knock-out stages of a European Cup tournament. Leeds United (1970-71) beat them in the semi-final of the Fairs Cup, and Nottingham Forest (1978-79) ousted them in the first round of the Champions Cup. Liverpool's semi-final victory in this competition two years ago was the only time Chelsea have been dismissed from Europe by an English club.

European history

Chelsea's biggest success in European competition is winning the Cup Winners' Cup twice (1971 and 1998). They also won the European Super Cup in 1998. This is Chelsea's fifth CL participation. Their best result is reaching the semi-finals, which they have now managed on three occasions (2003-04, 2004-05 and 2006-07).

Liverpool have won the Champions Cup/Champions League five times with the most recent coming in 2004-05 when they won the Champions League for the first time, beating AC Milan on penalties. Their previous successes came in 1977, 1978, 1981 and 1984. They have also won three Uefa Cups and three Uefa Super Cups. This season is Liverpool's fifth in the Champions League and their 34th in European competition.

Current European form

Chelsea are unbeaten in their last five CL home matches. Overall, Chelsea are also unbeaten in their last five CL matches.

Liverpool have won their last two CL away matches, and their last two matches overall.

Player and disciplinary info

Chelsea's Michael Essien is suspended for this match. Arjen Robben, Michael Ballack, Joe Cole, Didier Drogba, Lassana Diarra (Chelsea) and Jermaine Pennant (Liverpool) will all be suspended if booked.

Liverpool's John Arne Riise could be playing his 50th Champions League match. On 12 September 2000, Riise made his CL debut when his former club AS Monaco lost 3-2 away at Galatasaray.

Other miscellaneous facts

Victory here would be Liverpool's 150th in a European Cup match.

Big Match Stats source: Infostrada Sports

Chelsea 1-0 Liverpool

Joe Cole's first-half goal gave Chelsea a slender first-leg lead in their Champions League semi-final against Liverpool at Stamford Bridge.

Cole slid in Didier Drogba's cross after 29 minutes to give Jose Mourinho's side the upper hand.

Liverpool keeper Pepe Reina produced two brilliant saves from Frank Lampard to keep the tie in the balance.

Petr Cech denied Liverpool an away goal with a stunning second-half stop from Steven Gerrard's long-range volley.

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez made a surprise selection of Bolo Zenden on the left flank and opted for Javier Mascherano instead of Momo Sissoko in the middle of midfield.

Chelsea gave a start to Joe Cole - and he proved an influential figure as the home side dominated the opening half.

Reina produced a marvellous reaction save to deny Lampard after seven minutes when he ran on to Drogba's knock-down only 10 yards out.

Drogba then failed to find Joe Cole when he was unmarked in the area - and the striker should have got on the end of a Joe Cole cross under challenge from Reina.

But Chelsea's pressure looked certain to pay off, and it did as they took the lead in the 29th minute.

Ricardo Carvalho's pass out of defence found Drogba, and he turned Daniel Agger before providing a perfect cross for Joe Cole to slide in from close range.

Liverpool's attacking responses had been fitful, limited to a tame header from Gerrard as he rose to meet Dirk Kuyt's cross.

Craig Bellamy had been disappointing, and it was no surprise when he was substituted by Peter Crouch after 51 minutes.

The England striker almost had an instant impact, challenging for a throw that fell for Gerrard, whose left-foot volley produced a brilliant save from Cech diving to his left.

Liverpool had penned Chelsea back for long periods after the break but had been short on clear-cut chances.

And it was Reina who had to be alert to clutch Drogba's shot low at his near post.

The striker then headed just wide as he got on the end of Lampard's free-kick with tension rising in the closing stages.

Reina then produced a brilliant save to keep Liverpool only a goal behind, diving to his left to palm away a powerful rising drive from Lampard.

Chelsea: Cech, Ferreira, Carvalho, Terry, Ashley Cole, Makelele, Joe Cole (Wright-Phillips 84), Mikel, Lampard, Shevchenko (Kalou 76), Drogba.

Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Boulahrouz, Geremi, Bridge, Diarra.

Goals: Joe Cole 29.

Liverpool: Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Agger, Riise, Gerrard, Alonso (Pennant 83), Mascherano, Zenden, Kuyt, Bellamy (Crouch 52).

Subs Not Used: Dudek, Hyypia, Gonzalez, Sissoko, Paletta.

Booked: Mascherano.

Att: 39,483

Ref: Markus Merk (Germany).

Mourinho expects Anfield success

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho hopes his side's attacking threat will prove the deciding factor in the Champions League semi-final second leg at Liverpool. The Blues take a 1-0 lead to Anfield thanks to Joe Cole's first-half strike in the first leg at Stamford Bridge.

"We normally score a goal and if we score a goal we have got a big chance of reaching the final," said Mourinho.

"I think Liverpool think they can overturn the result but we are winning 1-0 and have a good defensive team."

Mourinho was delighted with his players after their display in the first leg.

"I thought our performance was top class," he said. "We had so many chances and we finally scored with chance number six.

"The second half was different from the first. Liverpool attacked more and had a chance with a great shot from Steven Gerrard."

Mourinho initially complained that referee Markus Merk had missed a "clear" penalty offence when Liverpool's Alvaro Arbeloa handled.

However, after watching replays which showed the incident was outside the area, the Chelsea boss tempered his comments.

"I don't know whether it was inside or outside the area," he said.

"For me the referee was top, but he made a mistake with the handball. It was a big mistake, but if it's a free kick it reduces the possibility of us scoring.

"He made a mistake, but normally the mistakes are against Chelsea."

Joe Cole was happy with his goal but insists the tie is very much alive.

"We'll see the importance of the goal next week - it's only half-time," he said.

"Liverpool played well in the second half and there was a bit of fatigue creeping in - it's one of those games where we had to dig in.

"It was a good battling performance from everyone and, although we're happy to win the game, we're not going to get overexcited.

"I've seen teams with bigger margins than us get overturned in the second leg, so it's a case of keeping our feet on the floor. Next week will be the decider."

However, he admits Wednesday's 1-0 victory could be a defining moment.

"It's the first time we've scored against them (Liverpool) in Europe and maybe it'll open the floodgates," he said.

Cole: It's only half-time

Joe Cole insists Chelsea will not get 'over-excited' after a 1-0 home win over Liverpool.

The midfielder scored the only goal at Stamford Bridge in the first leg of the UEFA Champions League semi-final between the two teams.

But though goals have been scarce in previous European meetings between the clubs, Cole is remaining cautious about Chelsea's chances of reaching next month's final in Athens.

"We'll see the importance (of the goal) next week, it's still half-time," Cole told Sky Sports 1.

"We were disappointed not to go in a few more goals up after the first half, we felt we were on top of the game.

"They played well second half and a little bit of fatigue was creeping in the lads, but we fought hard and it was one of those games we had to dig in. It was a good, battling performance from everyone.

"It's only half-time, we're not going to get over-excited with a 1-0 win. We are happy we have won the game.

"But we have seen teams with bigger margins than us get overturned, so we will keep our feet on the floor. Next week will be the decider."

Cole's 29th minute finish was his first goal since returning from injury and he offered his gratitude to manager Jose Mourinho and the Chelsea staff.

He added: "This season has been terrible for injuries, but I've been fighting hard every day and showing desire.

"It makes it all worthwhile to come back in big games like Valencia at half-time.

"To come on, the manager showed great faith there because Wright-Phillips and Kalou have been playing well and to use me in big games, I just want to repay all the boys, all the staff at Chelsea, who have helped me because it's been difficult."

Lamps pleased with display

Frank Lampard feels Chelsea produced an excellent team performance against Liverpool on Wednesday.

Joe Cole's goal secured The Blues a 1-0 first leg lead in their UEFA Champions League semi-final.

Didier Drogba's all-action display at both ends of the pitch drew praise from many pundits, but Lampard feels the team as a whole produced a superb effort.

"I don't think you should pick anyone out," Lampard told Sky Sports News. "Didier was good, but it was a very impressive performance from everyone - especially in the first half.

"We did exactly what we intended to do except for scoring more goals."

Much of the post-game talk centred on Jose Mourinho's claim that Chelsea should have been awarded a penalty for Alvaro Arbeloa's handball.

Replays showed the offence took place outside the box, but Lampard still feels he was denied a goalscoring opportunity.

"It was handball, I was about a yard away," he added. "I think I would have got it and gone into the box, but I don't know whether it was in or out."

True, not the most exciting of games but a Euro semi-final none the less and enjoyable for that. For what it's worth I think Chelsea will qualify with ease..

Yeah I have to agree with you and Mr B it wasn't as exciting as the previous days game but all the same a bit nerve wrecking for us Blue boys and girls at the end of the game! I'm so glad we kept a clean sheet, Liverpool have it all to do at Anfield, even with the 12th man atmosphere!

With Essien back in the team we will be even stronger in midfield, he is also likely to bang in a cracker just when we need it most! :o

Terry hails Chelsea character

John Terry has spoken of his pride at the way Chelsea have fought their way back into the Premiership title race.

Manchester United were firm favourites to win the league earlier in the season as Chelsea struggled with injuries and dropped seemingly crucial points.

But The Blues have won nine of their last ten Premiership games and now only trail United by three points, with a home game against Sir Alex Ferguson's men still to come.

Chelsea are also hoping to add the FA Cup and UEFA Champions League to their Carling Cup success, and Terry is delighted with the character of his side.

"I think what we've shown this year is a real drive," Terry said in the London Evening Standard.

"We have not really been behind in seasons before, we have tended to have it all our own way. But I think we have shown a different and positive side.

"When there is a chance to achieve something really significant it is a case of using that winning feeling.

"We have had a couple of defeats this season and we don't want to feel that again."

Terry believes the title race will go the distance, as he expects Manchester United to have problems in their upcoming fixtures.

He explained: "The league is far from over. United have two really tough games now and we are pushing them to the wire. That's before they even come to play us.

"It is unbelievable that we are in the last week of April and can still win all four trophies.

"It is unlikely we could win the lot, but it's definitely possible. We are doing everything we can to make it happen."

Chelsea v Bolton

Stamford Bridge

Saturday, 28 April

Kick-off: 1245 BST

Coverage on the BBC Sport website, BBC Radio Five Live & highlights on MOTD

This will be a featured match on Saturday's Score - 1430 BST on BBCi and bbc.co.uk/score

Arjen Robben has returned to training but is unlikely to be included in Chelsea's squad, although he is in line to return before the end of the season.

Midfielder Michael Ballack (ankle) remains doubtful but Michael Essien returns after suspension.

Bolton could be without six first-team players, with El-Hadji Diouf, Tal Ben Haim and Abdoulaye Faye definitely out.

Kevin Nolan, Nicky Hunt and Stelios Giannakopoulos are all facing late fitness tests.

Chelsea (from): Cech, Cudicini, Hilario, Ferreira, Geremi, Diarra, Carvalho, Terry, Boulahrouz, A Cole, Bridge, Lampard, Makelele, Obi, Essien, J Cole, Wright-Phillips, Robben, Shevchenko, Drogba, Kalou.

Bolton (from): Jaaskelainen, Hunt, Michalik, Meite, Gardner, Campo, Nolan, Giannakopoulos, Speed, Teymourian, Davies, Anelka, Thompson, Walker, Tal, Martin, Vaz Te.

Bolton assistant boss Sammy Lee on Chelsea's heavy fixture list:

"I don't think it will be too much of a problem for them.

"I would not suggest that tiredness would affect them. Their squad is accustomed to it.

"We know the immensity of the game and we are looking forward to it."

BIG-MATCH FACTS

CHELSEA take on Bolton with the unprecedented quadruple still on. The Carling Cup winners go to Anfield on Tuesday for the second leg of the Champions League semi-final holding a 1-0 lead, thanks to Joe Cole's goal. A meeting with Manchester United in the FA Cup final at the new Wembley is booked for Saturday, 19 May, while the race for the Premiership title with the Red Devils resumes right here. Indeed both the top two are in action in 1245 hours kick-offs. United will be trying to at least maintain their three-point advantage at the summit with victory over Everton at Goodison Park. Their superior goal difference is almost worth another point. Meanwhile, Jose Mourinho's men are aiming to stay in touch, ahead of next Sunday's visit to Arsenal and the much-hyped likely title showdown with Sir Alex Ferguson's side at the Bridge on Wednesday, 9 May.

The Londoners go into this match on the longest current unbeaten run in the top flight of 10 matches, and the longest unbeaten home streak of 60. They're hoping to make Bolton their sixth successive League scalp on home turf.

The Blues are chasing a fifth successive victory over Bolton, to take their unbeaten Premiership sequence against them to seven matches. Michael Ballack's header was the difference between the sides at the Bridge in November, and gives the Londoners the chance of a second successive 'double' over the Trotters.

BOLTON WANDERERS travel to west London in danger of suffering three defeats on the trot for the second time in nine Premiership outings. They go into the match four points ahead of eighth-placed Portsmouth, and four ahead of Tottenham in ninth, who have a game in hand. Sam Allardyce will not want his Trotters team to concede more ground with a second Uefa Cup campaign in three seasons at stake.

Although they have lost 10 more matches than Chelsea, Bolton are still on course for a best ever Premiership campaign. They've never finished higher than sixth, and only Everton's superior goal difference is denying them fifth spot at the moment. Wanderers' highest points total in this League is 58 in the season before last. They are four points short of that, with West Ham to visit and Aston Villa to host, after this.

The Trotters are facing a Chelsea side that were on a similar run of form when they last met at the Reebok. A whirlwind of four goals in nine second-half minutes enabled the then League leaders to come from behind and make it nine wins out of nine, with a 5-1 scoreline. Bolton have not beaten Chelsea since their 1-2 triumph in west London on 13 December 2003, when a Bruno N'Gotty effort and a John Terry own goal gave them the points.

REFEREE

Rob Styles (Waterlooville, Hampshire)

SEQUENCES/RECENT FORM

CHELSEA

2nd 79 points

Highest realistically achievable after Saturday's matches: 2nd

Lowest could fall: 2nd

1. Won 18 and drawn four of the last 22 in all competitions, since losing 2-0 at Liverpool on 20 January.

2. Newcastle denied a club record equalling 10th successive Premiership victory when last Sunday's trip to St James' ended in a goalless draw.

3. Kept clean sheets in nine of the last 10 League games, and in 11 of the last 13.

4. Conceded one goal in 972 minutes (16 hours 12 minutes) of Premiership football (West Ham's consolation by Carlos Tevez on 18 April).

5. Won 24 times in the top division so far this season - only Manchester United have gained more victories (26).

6. Opened the scoring in more Premiership matches than any other club (27), and failed to score in three. Only Manchester United can beat the latter of those two statistics, failing to find the net in only two matches.

7. Kept 21 clean sheets in the Premiership (won 19, drawn two), and conceded the opening goal in only five top flight games - better than any other club on both counts.

8. Not lost a home Premiership game under Mourinho (won 44, drawn 10), nor been defeated in the top division at the Bridge since a 1-2 reverse to Arsenal on 21 February 2004 (won 48, drawn 12). If they can maintain that run until the end of this season they will equal Liverpool's top flight record of 63 home League matches without defeat. Combining Mourinho's record with FC Porto, he is unbeaten in 92 home games in the English and Portuguese leagues (won 80, drawn 12).

9. Won the last five Premiership matches at the Bridge against Wigan, Blackburn, Middlesbrough, Sheffield United and Tottenham, and already registered eight 'doubles' against Wigan, Blackburn, Charlton, Portsmouth, Manchester City, Sheffield United, Watford and West Ham.

10. The remaining League fixtures after this are against Arsenal (a), Manchester United (h) and Everton (h).

BOLTON WANDERERS

6th 54 points

Highest achievable after Saturday's matches: 5th

Lowest could fall: 6th

1. Lost the last two against Arsenal (2-1, a) and Reading (1-3, h).

2. Last lost three on the bounce between 25 February and 17 March when Tottenham (a), Blackburn (h) and Manchester United (a) defeated them.

3. Scored in each of the last 12 League outings (one goal in each of 10 of them).

4. Won four Premiership matches from losing positions. Only Arsenal exceed that with five victories from games in which they were trailing.

5. Nine different players have scored their 42 goals in the highest echelon. It's the shortest goalscorers list in the top tier.

6. Used fewer players than any other club in Premiership matches this season - 20.

7. The only club in the top eight with a negative goal difference.

8. Lost three of the last four League games on the road.

9. 'Doubled' so far by Manchester United and Reading.

KEY PLAYER NOTES/POTENTIAL MILESTONES

CHELSEA

Didier DROGBA is the highest scoring Premiership player this season with 31 goals, 19 of which are League goals. The Ivory Coast International leads Manchester United's Cristiano RONALDO by three at the top of the table for the Barclays Golden Boot award.

Frank LAMPARD is the only remaining player to have started every one of Chelsea's Premiership matches this season.

LAMPARD has scored five goals in four Premiership appearances against Bolton.

If selected in the 11, Shaun WRIGHT-PHILLIPS will be making his 150th career League start (Manchester City and Chelsea).

BOLTON WANDERERS

Nicolas ANELKA is Bolton's leading scorer with 12 goals - 11 in the Premiership.

Jussi JAASKELAIKEN is the only remaining player to have been on the field for every minute of every one of Bolton's Premiership matches this season.

If he continues as usual, JAASKELAINEN will be making his 350th start in a Bolton goalkeepers' jersey.

Gary SPEED is the only other player to have started every one of Bolton's top flight fixtures this term.

If he plays again, SPEED will be extending his record breaking number of Premier League appearances to 519. He has made 45 more appearances than Portsmouth goalkeeper David JAMES - the second in the list.

LAST SEASON'S CORRESPONDING GAME

Chelsea 5-1 Bolton Wanderers

15 October 2005 - Ref: Rob Styles

Chelsea scorers: Drogba 52, Lampard 55, 59, Drogba 61, Gudjohnsen 74

Bolton scorers: Giannakopoulos 4

Sent Off: Gardner (Bolton) 58

THIS SEASON'S REVERSE FIXTURE

Bolton Wanderers 0-1 Chelsea

29 November 2006 - Ref: Steve Bennett

Chelsea scorer: Ballack 45

HEAD TO HEAD TOTALS

Home and away

League: Chelsea 38 wins, Bolton 34, Draws 25

Prem: Chelsea 9 wins, Bolton 3, Draws 3

at Chelsea only

League: Chelsea 25 wins, Bolton 12, Draws 11

Prem: Chelsea 5 wins, Bolton 1, Draws 1

The "League" figures in these Head to Head totals include all Premiership matches

Chelsea 2-2 Bolton

Kevin Davies grabbed a second-half equaliser as Bolton left Chelsea's title chances hanging by a thread.

Davies nodded in Gary Speed's free-kick to allow Manchester United to stretch their Premiership lead to five points thanks to their superb win at Everton.

Lubomir Michalik fired Bolton ahead from close in but Salomon Kalou's fine header quickly drew Chelsea level.

The Blues went ahead when Kalou's powerful header came back off the bar, hit Jussi Jaaskelainen, and went in.

Bolton boss Sam Allardyce feared his makeshift line-up - missing six regulars and forcing him to play Ivan Campo at right-back - would struggle to contain Chelsea.

And their chances of a dull, battling draw looked slim after a frantic opening, which saw Chelsea on top.

But despite their injury problems and the speculation that boss Allardyce is likely to be quitting in the summer, the away side settled and took the lead after 18 minutes.

Nicolas Anelka had already blazed high and wide when he should have scored but when a Campo free-kick caused confusion in the home defence, the ball fell invitingly to giant centre-half Michalik who kept his composure to shoot home from six yards.

Chelsea's response was immediate. The impressive Wayne Bridge steamed forward on the left flank and his delightful cross was met by Kalou at the near post and expertly flicked into the far corner.

Ricardo Carvalho was then forced off with a knee injury that rules him out of Tuesday's Champions League game against Liverpool.

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho had chosen to rest Frank Lampard, Didier Dogba and Joe Cole but Carvalho's injury saw Lampard come on and Essien revert to centre-half.

But the change did not affect Chelsea's attacking prowess.

Jaaskelainen made a fine stop to deny Andriy Shevchenko - who had earlier wasted a great early chance to put Chelsea in front - and Essien snatched a shot wide after the Bolton keeper missed a Lampard corner.

The pressure told when Kalou put the Blues ahead at half-time when he lept to head home another Lampard corner, the ball bouncing down off the bar and hitting Jaaskelianen before going over the line.

But Bolton levelled within nine minutes of the restart.

Speed's free-kick saw Davies pull away from his marker Essien and the big striker rose unchallenged to head home from in front of Petr Cech.

Didier Drogba, on as a half-time substitute for Shevchenko, flashed a cross across goal and a vicious Lampard free-kick went narrowly wide.

Joe Cole soon followed Drogba and Lampard into the action but to no avail.

Bolton, recognising they were struggling to hold out, took every opportunity to attack and Andranik Teymourian flashed an effort inches over from 25 yards.

Abdoulaye Meite was fortunate to get away with a blatant handball on the edge of the area but Chelsea were unable to force a winner.

Chelsea: Cech, Geremi, Carvalho (Lampard 29), Terry, Bridge, Diarra (Joe Cole 60), Mikel, Essien, Wright-Phillips, Kalou, Shevchenko (Drogba 46).

Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Boulahrouz.

Goals: Kalou 22, Jaaskelainen 34 og.

Bolton: Jaaskelainen, Campo, Meite, Michalik, Gardner, Teymourian, Thompson (Vaz Te 46), Tal (Sinclair 77), Speed, Davies, Anelka (Martin 90).

Subs Not Used: Al Habsi, Augustyn.

Booked: Gardner, Davies, Michalik.

Goals: Michalik 19, Davies 54.

Att: 41,105.

Ref: R Styles (Hampshire).

with all the focus on tuesday and all your mangers excuses beforehand , you manged to blow your chances of a thid league title. Well , look on the brightside , at least mourinho will be able to use one of his excuses :D:D:D:D:bah:

Scousemouse, can you please remind me of the last time you won the league title back to back and have come very close to winning it on 3 consecutive seasons? I wont be lowering myself into this argument but I will just say in regards of tuesday night......he who laughs last....!!! :o

Mourinho refuses to concede title

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho insists the Premiership title race is not yet over, despite seeing his side drop valuable points with a draw at home to Bolton.

But he admits Manchester United are in pole position after the Blues fell five points adrift of the leaders.

"It is not over because mathematically there is a chance," said Mourinho.

"When the chance is there, we have to believe but it is almost lost, almost. They have to lose two games and we have to win all three. They are very close."

It looked as though it would be a very profitable day for Chelsea.

At one stage, they led Bolton 2-1 thanks to a Salomon Kalou strike and an own goal from Jussi Jaaskelainen, while Manchester United trailed 2-0 at Everton.

But by the end of 90 minutes, the Blues had been pegged back to 2-2 and United had scored four times to extend their lead at the top of the table.

"It was an emotional game, although it did not have much quality," added Mourinho, who started with Didier Drogba and Frank Lampard on the bench.

"There was maybe a bit too much emotion on our part but there was a lot of heart.

"We put them under pressure and we were close to getting a third goal."

Chelsea's remaining Premiership games are against Arsenal (away), Manchester United (home) and Everton (home).

But their priority now is Tuesday's Champions League semi-final, second leg against Liverpool at Anfield.

"I feel sad but I have a big game on Tuesday night and that's a good thing in this situation," commented Mourinho. "We have no time to be sad."

The Blues lead 1-0 from the first leg and will be without the injured Ricardo Carvalho and Michael Ballack.

Bolton, meanwhile, went into the game with speculation mounting that manager Sam Allardyce is poised to quit the club at the end of the season.

Afterwards, his assistant, Sammy Lee, insisted it was business as usual.

"At the moment, as far as we are concerned, it is only speculation," he said. "As soon as we know anything about that, we'll let everyone know."

Lee said Bolton's main concern at the moment was clinching a Uefa Cup berth.

"We are just trying to get as high up the table as we possibly can," he said.

"We are desperate to get into the Uefa Cup and are delighted to get another point today. We got into their faces a bit more in the second half."

Chelsea hit by double injury blow

Chelsea have been rocked by the news that Michael Ballack and Ricardo Carvalho will miss Tuesday's Champions League semi-final against Liverpool.

The Blues lead 1-0 after the first leg but midfielder Ballack is likely to miss the rest of the season after having ankle surgery on Friday.

The 30-year-old picked up the injury in the early stages of Chelsea's goalless draw with Newcastle last weekend.

Defender Carvalho, 28, sustained a knee problem against Bolton on Saturday.

Ballack travelled to Munich for his operation, where he was treated by Germany's national team doctor Hans-Wilhelm Muller-Wohlfahrt.

He has scored eight goals for the Blues since joining on a free transfer from Bayern Munich last summer.

Carvalho was injured in the first half against Bolton and Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho said: "He is definitely out.

"He has injured his knee and it is a big blow for us. He has been our best defender this season - it is as simple as that.

"We lost at Liverpool in the Premiership without him and we go to Anfield again without him.

"But when we lost in the league we had to play Paulo Ferreira at centre-back. We have better options for centre-back this time."

Cech: We won't give up

Petr Cech has refused to accept defeat to Manchester United in the title race, but has admitted that reaching the final of the UEFA Champions League is now Chelsea's priority.

Chelsea were held to a 2-2 draw by Bolton on Saturday, while Manchester United came from behind to beat Everton 4-2 and extend their lead to five points, with just three games of the season left.

"Mathematically it is not over yet," Cech said on his personal website.

"However, the situation is now much more difficult as we have to expect Manchester to lose points.

"Anyway, we don't give up anything and we want to win the remaining three games. Then we will see if it is enough or not."

Reflecting on the 2-2 draw with Bolton, Cech compared the game to the meeting the two sides had in 2004, saying: "At that time it ended up 2-2 too and it was very similar to this match.

"We were the better team, we had chances and they scored from two shots.

"It was a strange game on Saturday in which, I think, we lacked the little bit of luck to score the decisive goal."

Chelsea face Liverpool in the second leg of their UEFA Champions League semi-final on Tuesday and Cech is hoping they can protect their 1-0 lead.

"We have got two games to play now (this week) and Tuesday's one against Liverpool is the crucial one," he urged.

"At this moment advancing to the final is objective number one for us as it would be a big bonus to get there."

I want to manage Chelsea - Terry

Chelsea captain John Terry says he has spoken to the club about becoming their manager when he retires.

The 26-year-old defender told BBC One's new Inside Sport programme: "I'd certainly like to manage one day.

"When I was speaking about my contract with Chelsea, I was talking about a nine-year contract and maybe with an option to manage at the end of it.

"It's certainly the way I want to go. I want to get my [coaching] badges and make that decision at the end of it."

In an exclusive interview with Inside Sport presenter Gabby Logan, Terry also revealed he was still angry about the fall-out from Chelsea's game against Tottenham in November.

The centre-half was shown his second yellow card after a clash in the Spurs penalty area, prompting accusations he had made racist remarks towards Tottenham defender Ledley King.

Terry said: "It was my first sending off of my career. I'm not that type of player. I used to play Sunday football with Ledley King.

"It's disheartening. At the time of the incident I got loads of text messages on my phone after a lot of people thought I was racist to Ledley King and a few other Tottenham players and it certainly wasn't the case.

"I'd never be that way. People who know me as a person know I'm not like that."

Terry claimed after the game that referee Graham Poll gave him conflicting reasons for sending him off with a second yellow card and was charged with improper conduct.

He initially requested a personal hearing with the FA but later accepted the charge.

"Sometimes it's easier to do that [accept the charge] rather than go to the FA and [get your] picture in the newspaper," he said.

"Sometimes you admit things you don't feel inside."

Liverpool v Chelsea

Champions League semi-final, 2nd leg

Date: Tuesday, 1 May

Kick-off: 1945 BST

First leg: 0-1

Venue: Anfield

Listen: BBC Radio Five Live

Updates: BBC Sport website and mobile

Full-back Steve Finnan is set to return after a neck injury as Liverpool bid to overhaul a 1-0 first-leg deficit in the Champions League semi-final.

Reds striker Peter Crouch could also be in line for a starting place.

Chelsea forward Andriy Shevchenko (groin problem) has joined Ricardo Carvalho and Michael Ballack on the injured list but Arjen Robben is fit.

Midfielder Michael Essien returns for the Blues, but he could be drafted into central defence in place of Carvalho.

Khalid Boulahrouz is another defensive option, while further forward midfielder Ballack has had an ankle operation which will rule him out for at least 10 days.

Didier Drogba and Joe Cole, who scored the only goal in the first leg, will miss a potential final in Athens if they receive a yellow card.

The same fate awaits Javier Mascherano or Jermaine Pennant should they earn a booking.

Mascherano was one of seven players who sat out Liverpool's 2-1 defeat at Portsmouth on Saturday along with Jose Reina, Daniel Agger, Jamie Carragher, Steven Gerrard, Dirk Kuyt and John Arne Riise.

They all look certain to start on Tuesday.

Liverpool (from): Reina, Finnan, Arbeloa, Carragher, Hyypia, Agger, Riise, Gerrard, Alonso, Sissoko, Pennant, Zenden, Bellamy, Kuyt, Mascherano, Crouch, Dudek, Gonzalez.

Chelsea (from): Cech, A Cole, Makelele, Terry, Essien, Ferreira, Boulahrouz, Robben, Lampard, J Cole, Drogba, Mikel, Geremi, Bridge, Wright-Phillips, Diarra, Kalou, Cudicini.

BIG MATCH STATS

Definitions of terms used:-

Champions League (CL) - only group phase matches and beyond of this competition which began in 1992-93.

Champions Cup/Champions League - all matches played since it began in 1955-56 including qualification matches.

European matches - all matches played in the major European tournaments (Fairs Cup, Uefa Cup, Cup Winners' Cup, Champions Cup, Champions League).

Uefa Super Cups, Intertoto Cups and the old Intercontinental Cup competition are excluded.

Head-to-heads

Liverpool and Chelsea have played each other five times in European history, all in the Champions League. In the 2004-05 season, the Reds knocked out the Londoners at the semi-finals (0-0, 1-0) and in the 2005-06 season, both teams met in the group stage, drawing 0-0 twice.

Chelsea 1-0 Liverpool - Champions League semi-final first leg Match Report

Both teams have therefore only scored once in the previous five meetings. Liverpool's goal, which was scored by Luis Garcia was heavily contested as it appeared not to have crossed the line.

European history

Liverpool have won the Champions Cup/Champions League five times with the most recent coming in 2004-05 when they won the Champions League for the first time, beating AC Milan on penalties. Their previous successes came in 1977, 1978, 1981 and 1984. They have also won three Uefa Cups and three Uefa Super Cups. This season is Liverpool's fifth in the Champions League and their 34th in European competition.

Chelsea's biggest success in European competition is winning the Cup Winners' Cup twice. They won the trophy in 1971 and 1998. They also won the European Super Cup in 1998. This is Chelsea's fifth CL participation. Their best result is reaching the semi-finals, which they have now managed on three occasions (2003-04, 2004-05 and 2006-07).

Current European form

Chelsea are unbeaten in their last six CL matches, winning the last two. Their most recent defeat was 1-0 at Werder Bremen on 22 November 2006.

Liverpool have won all but one of their CL home fixtures this season. FC Barcelona won 0-1 at Anfield in the second round.

Player and disciplinary info

Javier Mascherano, Jermaine Pennant (both Liverpool), Arjen Robben, Michael Ballack, Joe Cole, Didier Drogba, Lassana Diarra (all Chelsea) will be suspended for the final if booked.

Jamie Carragher is the most experienced player in the Liverpool squad. He's set to make his 90th appearance in Europe, breaking Ian Callaghan's club record. Luis Garcia has scored 10 CL goals, more than any other player in the Liverpool squad. Xabi Alonso is the only Liverpool player who has appeared in all 11 CL matches this season.

Andriy Shevchenko is the most seasoned Chelsea player with 89 CL appearances. He's also the most prolific goalscorer in Chelsea's squad with 46 career CL goals. Didier Drogba is the only Blues player that has appeared in all 11 CL matches this season. With six goals, both Peter Crouch and Drogba are ranked joint second on the CL top scorers list this season, three behind AC Milan's Kaka.

Other miscellaneous facts

Liverpool are hoping to record their 150th European Cup match.

Big Match Stats source: Infostrada Sports

Essien ready for Crouch

Michael Essien is ready to come up against Peter Crouch for the second time this season.

The Chelsea midfielder is expected to start at centre-back against Liverpool in the UEFA Champions League semi-final second leg on Tuesday.

Jose Mourinho will be without Ricardo Carvalho's services at Anfield, meaning Essien will likely be paired with John Terry at the back.

The Ghanaian played alongside Paolo Ferreira in the Premiership fixture between the sides in January which Liverpool won 2-0.

However, with Terry alongside him, Essien is confident Chelsea's backline can handle Crouch this time around.

"Peter Crouch is the tallest man I have ever played against, but I am ready," Essien said.

"I have never seen a footballer like him - he can beat me in the air but I can beat him to the ball on the ground.

"I do not mind playing in defence, I will do anything the team wants. I will play anywhere I have been asked to play, I have been doing it all season so it is nothing new for me.

"The last time we played against Crouch it was me and Paolo, and it was hard. This time John Terry will be alongside me, and I believe we have learned from what happened last time.

"It is good to have John alongside me this time, he has more experience and can teach me. I feel we have learned the lesson from the league game earlier in the season at Anfield.

"It was difficult for me and Paolo to deal with Peter Crouch then, I feel it will be a different story this time.

"I think with John around this time, he will be more powerful in the air and can deal with the difficult aerial stuff we may face."

Liverpool 1-0 Chelsea (Agg: 1-1)

Liverpool win 4-1 on penalties

Liverpool booked their place in the Champions League final with a dramatic penalty shoot-out win in the semi-final second leg at Anfield.

Dirk Kuyt scored the crucial spot-kick to clinch a 4-1 win after Arjen Robben and Geremi missed for the Blues.

Daniel Agger cancelled out Chelsea's first-leg lead in the first half with a crisp finish from Steven Gerrard's superbly disguised left-wing free-kick.

Kuyt also rattled the bar with a fine header after the break.

Within seconds it became clear both teams were happy to go long. Liverpool looked to feed off Peter Crouch and Chelsea were eager to get the ball to Drogba and use the pace of Salomon Kalou on the break.

But after a promising opening first five minutes from the visitors, it was Liverpool who settled and started to get on top in a scrappy match.

Liverpool they scored from the first good chance of the night.

Joe Cole fouled Gerrard on the left flank and with everyone expecting the Reds skipper to whip in a cross towards the far post, he slid the ball across the box to Agger who slammed it home first time into the bottom corner.

With the scores level on aggregate, Liverpool stepped off the pace a little and Chelsea began to look lively.

Reina was forced into a decent save from Drogba, who stood firm to beat away the striker's fiercely struck shot following Mikel's through-ball.

Chelsea, playing in their third Champions League semi-final in four years almost went ahead just before the break when Essien almost diverted a Drogba header in from a Frank Lampard corner.

Liverpool had three excellent chances to double their lead after the break.

Jermaine Pennant wriggled his way free on the right and crossed to Crouch but his downward far-post header was kicked away by Cech and John Terry completed the clearance.

And within five minutes Liverpool went even closer. A fantastic cross from John Arne Riise was met brilliantly by Kuyt but his header crashed back off the bar. A rare Terry error then saw stand-in centre-half Essien bail out his skipper as he launched himself in front of Pennant and diverted the ball over for a corner.

Chelsea then pieced together their best move if the half.

Lampard combined with Joe Cole to put in Ashley Cole and Carragher got ahead of Drogba to turn Cole's cross over the bar from three yards.

Drogba almost got through on goal but was thwarted by Reina and at the other end Bolo Zenden tested Cech with a decent 20-yard strike.

Neither side could forced the crucial goal in normal time and chances were a premium in the extra 30 minutes

Liverpool went closest when substitute Xabi Alonso unleashed a rasping 35-yard drive that Cech could only turn into the path of Kuyt who turned the ball in but his strike was ruled offside.

In the second period Drogba almost turned in Shaun Wright-Phillips' teasing cross and Kuyt had a shot beaten away by Cech in the closing moments.

In the penalty shootout, Liverpool romped home. Bolo Zenden scored the first and only Lampard was successful for the Blues, meaning Kuyt's sweetly-struck effort was enough to secure Liverpool's place in the final against either AC Milan or Manchester United on Wednesday, 23 May.

Archived