Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

I wouldn't disagree with mrbojangles.

Main problem for Chelsea as I see it this season: lack of potency up front.

No Sturridge, Suarez, Aguero,

Not an excuse, just a simple fact.

We scraped through to the Semis of the CL with mostly tightly fought games and few goals.

Credit to Mourinho for achieving this in my book. But it doesn't work in the EPL. Gotta beat lower opposition like Liverpool did.

was the lack of potency up front not an issue in the summer of 2013 as well though?

Yes, but I don't think mourinho was ready to get rid of Torres and Ba and replace with potent strike force at that time.

He wanted to wait and see I think. Same in January window. Got Eto'o on a free as a stop gap.

Lukaku story will continue to be debated forever. Possible error. Yep. But I don't think Lukaku will be numero uno potent striker next season. Although he could have a role to play.

That's my take on it.

doesn't that equal "a pretty major <deleted>-up"?

We scraped through to the Semis of the CL with mostly tightly fought games and few goals.

Credit to Mourinho for achieving this in my book. But it doesn't work in the EPL. Gotta beat lower opposition like Liverpool did.

was the lack of potency up front not an issue in the summer of 2013 as well though?

Yes, but I don't think mourinho was ready to get rid of Torres and Ba and replace with potent strike force at that time.

He wanted to wait and see I think. Same in January window. Got Eto'o on a free as a stop gap.

Lukaku story will continue to be debated forever. Possible error. Yep. But I don't think Lukaku will be numero uno potent striker next season. Although he could have a role to play.

That's my take on it.

With hindsight yes. But not at the time.

This all has to be put in the context of mourinho's stated objective when he came back last summer.

Transitional season, and build for the future.

I am confident that is what is happening.

Last summer was not the time for Torres and Ba to be replaced by a Costa. Too early to make a long term commitment.

I think you and I could have achieved this with the players he had available.

In fact those players could have achieved top 4 without ANY manager

I wouldn't be surprised to see AV kick him out again, those dropped points against Sunderland & Norwich must hurt.

"I could have been a contender"

i don't agree ups. EPL highly competitive. Small margins between success and failure. Not the same in French or Spanish league where you've got top 3 and the rest total crap.

Reaching semi of CL fine achievement with this squad I think.

Increased potency up front will take care of lower table EPL competition next season I think.

Only way to beat the West Hams and the Stokes is stop em scoring and bang the sh** out of them.

We failed to do that this season.

I guess it's hard to be the special one second time around.

Personally, I'm not for having managers or players back once they've gone, it's never the same.

I think there are managers out there who would have won the title for you.

Just my opinion smile.png

That's my take on it.

With hindsight yes. But not at the time.

This all has to be put in the context of mourinho's stated objective when he came back last summer.

Transitional season, and build for the future.

I am confident that is what is happening.

Last summer was not the time for Torres and Ba to be replaced by a Costa. Too early to make a long term commitment.

that all sounds like total horse elbows mate, with respect. if an area of the team is weak you do something about it, you don't wait and see.

you spent £63m last summer followed by another £45m in the january window. some transitional season that.

• Like 1

Ok sounds like we agree to disagree.

Maybe it comes back to mrbojangles point. Top players not doing the business against the lower sides.

Personally, I'm OK with this season's effort and our purchases, and reckon we will be in very good shape to attack the EPL and CL next season.

Time for me to judge will be end of next season.

But I think it is important to point out that EPL and CL are getting increasingly competitive. For all managers.

Small margins between success and failure.

SAF United glory days, one team dominating....Gone. Will never happen again.

Ok sounds like we agree to disagree.

Maybe it comes back to mrbojangles point. Top players not doing the business against the lower sides.

Personally, I'm OK with this season's effort and our purchases, and reckon we will be in very good shape to attack the EPL and CL next season.

Time for me to judge will be end of next season.

But I think it is important to point out that EPL and CL are getting increasingly competitive. For all managers.

Small margins between success and failure.

SAF United glory days, one team dominating....Gone. Will never happen again.

we can agree to disagree, sure. i find your still believing that mourinho walks on water interesting though. think he's made absolutely loads of basic mistakes throughout this season myself and his ongoing pisspoor PR campaign has lost him a lot of respect.

It's a bldy tough business being a top manager these days.

Even the great Guardiola is finding it tricky.

Easy for me and you from the armchair or the stands, with respect.

Maybe that's where Jose should be and have a good look at how his team is playing?

Pellegrini remains low profile. Might just nick the EPL with probably the strongest squad. Should they have run away with it?

Rodgers. Can't do a thing wrong. Blinding success on relatively low budget playing attractive football.

Pellegrini remains low profile. Might just nick the EPL with probably the strongest squad. Should they have run away with it?

Rodgers. Can't do a thing wrong. Blinding success on relatively low budget playing attractive football.

pellegrini's first season in england. if he wins the league he'll have done what his bosses probably expect him to and yeah, given their squad, about what they should do really. and he'd have done it while behaving like a perfect gentleman all year.

rodgers has made mistakes this season. points dropped early on due to the ill-conceived three at the back trial. he's gambled quite a bit though and his gambles have paid off.

I can't be arsed, but it wouldn't be difficult to total up the number of points Chelsea dropped this season to bottom half opponents. An absurd number given his rich squad. He just didn't get it right tactically against lesser opposition.

I think we are just as guilty as anyone of that, Jelly. Sometimes I'm not sure it's the manager who got the actual tactics wrong but got the motivational speach wrong. Some of these top players just don't seem up for it against so called "lower" teams and although they should be held to account for a lack of interest or passion. Once they walk on the pitch it's mainly down to them. However, saying that, I think it's also a failure in part of the manager not being able to get them "up for it".

Agreed MrB that the motivational aspect can be key.

I said I couldn't be arsed but I gave in. Points dropped by Chelsea and Man City against clubs currently in the bottom ten:

Chelsea-23

City-15

Neither stat anything to be proud of.

No club that "probably" has the strongest squad will/should run away from anything, however Chelsea's squad and City's are way better than the rest, on a par with each other and together you should have walked away from the rest of us.

Rodgers has done a fantastic job in comparison only being outfoxed once in failing to work out how to get past two parked buses. He's grown in stare this season as a manager and in his general persona

• Like 1

No club that "probably" has the strongest squad will/should run away from anything, however Chelsea's squad and City's are way better than the rest, on a par with each other and together you should have walked away from the rest of us.

Rodgers has done a fantastic job in comparison only being outfoxed once in failing to work out how to get past two parked buses. He's grown in stare this season as a manager and in his general persona

Yep. I've been saying that all season.

First major piece of brilliance was probably getting Suarez motoring in extremely difficult circumstances.

Probably do a great job at Spurs. Or even Crystal Palace like Puils.

Career well on course. Same with Martinez.

thumbsup.gif

Yep. I've been saying that all season.

First major piece of brilliance was probably getting Suarez motoring in extremely difficult circumstances.

Probably do a great job at Spurs. Or even Crystal Palace like Puils.

Career well on course. Same with Martinez.

thumbsup.gif

Martinez has been excellent too hasn't he. I'd really like to see what both of these two managers could do with some decent transfer funds but i can't see much coming Roberto's way. Rodgers might just be luckier.

While Jose constantly reminds everyone that he "loves" Chelsea and wants to stay there forever,wouldn't surprise anyone if Roman had his finger on the trigger.History would show you can get the sack from Chelsea even when you win trophies.

I don't think Abramovich will can him though you could make a case that he has reason. Even if you assume Mourinho didn't screw up by loaning out Lukaku and selling Mata, there are still reasons. I can't be arsed, but it wouldn't be difficult to total up the number of points Chelsea dropped this season to bottom half opponents. An absurd number given his rich squad. He just didn't get it right tactically against lesser opposition. I'm convinced that he frequently over thinks his game plan to the team's detriment. Obviously he gets up for the big clubs, but his success against them is undercut by the frequent miserable displays against the likes of Norwich.

In his post match comments yesterday he didn't seem concerned that Chelsea had thrown away their chance to go top, and maybe have a chance at the title. Were I the owner, that would get under my skin and we all know Abramovich has thin skin.coffee1.gif

Mourinho said at the start of the season he didn't expect to win anything....he's a smart cookie! biggrin.png

• Like 2

While Jose constantly reminds everyone that he "loves" Chelsea and wants to stay there forever,wouldn't surprise anyone if Roman had his finger on the trigger.History would show you can get the sack from Chelsea even when you win trophies.

I don't think Abramovich will can him though you could make a case that he has reason. Even if you assume Mourinho didn't screw up by loaning out Lukaku and selling Mata, there are still reasons. I can't be arsed, but it wouldn't be difficult to total up the number of points Chelsea dropped this season to bottom half opponents. An absurd number given his rich squad. He just didn't get it right tactically against lesser opposition. I'm convinced that he frequently over thinks his game plan to the team's detriment. Obviously he gets up for the big clubs, but his success against them is undercut by the frequent miserable displays against the likes of Norwich.

In his post match comments yesterday he didn't seem concerned that Chelsea had thrown away their chance to go top, and maybe have a chance at the title. Were I the owner, that would get under my skin and we all know Abramovich has thin skin.coffee1.gif

Mourinho said at the start of the season he didn't expect to win anything....he's a smart cookie! biggrin.png

And what percentage of his brain, small as it might be (the percentage, not his brain), worked to make sure it ended up that way ?w00t.gif

Rule number 1 in business:

Underpromise, overdeliver.

Do it the other way round and the money boys say adios amigo.

Sometimes there's latitude, but not often.

Like Martinez who promised top 4 to the Everton owners when they gave him the job.

Does your face fit also comes into it.

£5mil+ per annum for the top dogs.

High stakes.

his players have often played like they believed him too. not exactly what you'd call inspirational is it?

Rule number 1 in business:

Underpromise, overdeliver.

Do it the other way round and the money boys say adios amigo.

Sometimes there's latitude, but not often.

Like Martinez who promised top 4 to the Everton owners when they gave him the job.

Does your face fit also comes into it.

£5mil+ per annum for the top dogs.

High stakes.

Yes to have gotten away with talking down your chances of silverware with that squad at his disposal, to have managed to have delivered zilch with that squad, and to still have Chelsea fans believing in his cobblers makes him a genius in my book.laugh.png

• Like 2

Yes.

Poor man-management skills.

PR media image highly questionable.

Football tactics useless.

FA disciplinaries record number.

I really don't see why Chelsea bother with him tbh.

smile.png

i just assumed it was because chelsea supporters so identified with him and his winning personality.

Wise words from a highly respected coach:

Mourinho killing football, says Olsen

5 May 2014

Denmark head coach Morten Olsen has lashed out at Jose Mourinho, claiming the Chelsea manager's negative tactics are killing football. Mourinho has come under fire in recent weeks after adopting defensive approaches, with his mindset in Chelsea's 2-0 win over Liverpool at Anfield causing the most controversy. Now Olsen has joined the chorus of critics in an interview with Danish newspaper Ekstra Bladet.

"In my world Mourinho is a danger for football. If many try to copy his style, then the game will die," said the 64-year-old, whose Danish national team missed out on qualification for the FIFA World Cup in Brazil, finishing six points behind Italy in Group B. "Imagine if everybody played football like Mourinho. Then it would certainly be boring, and then I wouldn't watch the matches.

"I would prefer to pick a good film or go for a stroll in the forest."

There you have it. Morten Olsen would rather go Dogging than watch Chelsea.

Who can blame him?

Edited by Chicog

Jose must be doing something right. So many of you would love him to be sacked and hang on every word he says.

Liverpool fans are bitter because he shafted their title chances, Arsenal fans are bitter because they could only dream of his success, Man U fans are bitter because they wanted him and Spurs fans, well, they are always bitter aren't they. :-)

• Like 1

Mourinho killing football, says Olsen

5 May 2014

Denmark head coach Morten Olsen has lashed out at Jose Mourinho, claiming the Chelsea manager's negative tactics are killing football. Mourinho has come under fire in recent weeks after adopting defensive approaches, with his mindset in Chelsea's 2-0 win over Liverpool at Anfield causing the most controversy. Now Olsen has joined the chorus of critics in an interview with Danish newspaper Ekstra Bladet.

"In my world Mourinho is a danger for football. If many try to copy his style, then the game will die," said the 64-year-old, whose Danish national team missed out on qualification for the FIFA World Cup in Brazil, finishing six points behind Italy in Group B. "Imagine if everybody played football like Mourinho. Then it would certainly be boring, and then I wouldn't watch the matches.

"I would prefer to pick a good film or go for a stroll in the forest."

There you have it. Morten Olsen would rather go Dogging than watch Chelsea.

Who can blame him?

But, he might rather go Dogging than watch Liverpool.wai2.gif

Who the fkc is Morten Olsen?

Correct me if I am mistaken but are Denmark going to the World Cup?

Go and have a cup of tea Olsen with Roy Hodgson somewhere between Croydon and Malmo.smile.png

Scandinavians don't win World Cups.

6 months in the dark every year and they go to Phuket and lose their head.

smile.png

• Like 1