Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

Chelsea struggled to complete the job after a terrific opening ten minutes because Zico's gameplan was spot on after the goal.Don't give their back four any time on the ball and close down on their midfield.Joe Cole also found himself up against a very good full back that didn't play in the first leg.It took the Chelsea faithful about five minutes to realise these facts but took the whole of the first half before Ray Wilkins cottoned on,prattling on about how great a player Makele"would be if he could only pass better beyond 30 yds,I have to say"and"my word,he's such a monster,that Drogba."Meanwhile,while he had his head in the clouds,Fenerbache were coming more and more into the game and the Chelsea fans were becoming restless."Why have the Chelsea fans gone quiet?" enquired Ray"they should get behind the team!""Why aren't you watching the game,Wilkins?"I screamed at the inanimate wooden box.It was at that point that the sound went off and I watched the game in blissful silence.Incidently,why didn't Kazim Richards excel in the Championship with Sheff.Utd? I thought he was superb in both legs.

what yer reckon then seapok lad?

gonna be a hard 2 weeks with your fixtures. we got fulham and birmingham in between.

3rd time lucky?

It wasn't a great spectacle to watch considering we were at home, Feners played some good stuff in the 2nd half, just as they did in the 1st leg. We did it though and the 2nd goal was much needed, I just wish Drogba can look up every now and again, I wouldn't mind if he was hitting the net every time he struck the ball.

I reckon its our destiny to win it this time, we will surely beat the bin dippers on the 3rd time of asking.

Chelsea suffer Cudicini setback

Chelsea manager Avram Grant was pessimistic about Carlo Cudicini making a quick recovery from a hamstring injury, saying it "does not look good".

The goalkeeper limped off against Fenerbahce and joins first-choice keeper Petr Cech on the sidelines.

It leaves the Blues facing the prospect of fielding Hilario in goal, with Rhys Taylor, 18, on the bench for their next game against Wigan on Monday.

Grant said: "It doesn't look good with Carlo but we need to wait and see."

Chelsea are already without Cech for a lengthy period after the Czech Republic international needed 50 stitches on a serious facial injury sustained in a training-ground clash with team-mate Tal Ben-Haim on Sunday.

Third-choice stopper Hilario came off the bench to replace Cudicini during the Champions League tie at Stamford Bridge on Tuesday.

The Portuguese pulled off fine saves from Gokhan Gonul and Colin Kazim-Richards, and Grant stressed he has full confidence in Hilario as he faces up to a goalkeeping crisis.

"It is very important for a third goalkeeper to do a good job when you need him, and we have needed him this year," said the Chelsea boss after the 3-2 aggregate win which saw his side progress to the Champions League semi-finals.

Grant added: "This year I am more a doctor than a manager, I need to answer every week about injuries.

"We have Hilario and have the goalkeeper from the youth team. He is a good goalkeeper."

gonna be a hard 2 weeks with your fixtures. we got fulham and birmingham in between.

3rd time lucky?

It wasn't a great spectacle to watch considering we were at home, Feners played some good stuff in the 2nd half, just as they did in the 1st leg. We did it though and the 2nd goal was much needed, I just wish Drogba can look up every now and again, I wouldn't mind if he was hitting the net every time he struck the ball.

I reckon its our destiny to win it this time, we will surely beat the bin dippers on the 3rd time of asking.

WELL WELL WELL, Wigan put you all to SEA might even make you pok :D:D

May be your chance has gone now..... :o hope so

BT

3rd time lucky?

WELL WELL WELL, Wigan put you all to SEA might even make you pok :D:D

May be your chance has gone now..... :o hope so

BT

Well, well if its not Camel Toe, what do you mean when you say I might pok??? If your going to have a bit of banter with me try having a dictionary to hand just incase you need it!.

Any Chelsea boys or girls on this please feel free to update this thread as I'm in LOS and I won't be online much........Oldgit, see you next week, text me when your in BKK, Laters.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, I gotta ask.

what was all that about... Drogba vs Ballack :o

in all my years of watching football, be it teams I like or dislike, never have I seen such bad sportsmanship amongst same team mates :D

what were they going on about

gee

How about that Oldgit!! :o good to see you and the missus the other night, I hope you enjoyed yourselves.

Chelsea 2-1 Man Utd

Michael Ballack's penalty blew the title race open as Chelsea moved level on points with leaders Manchester United with only two matches left.

Joe Cole's shot hit the bar as United, who lost Nemanja Vidic to injury, backtracked before Ballack headed Chelsea in front on 45 minutes.

Wayne Rooney drove in the equaliser after Ricardo Carvalho's error to put United back in the driving seat.

But after Michael Carrick handled in the area, Ballack won it from the spot.

It was the first penalty United had conceded in the league all season and could prove decisive at the end of the season when silverware is handed out.

And as United pressed at the very end of the game, it took goal-line clearances from Ashley Cole and Andriy Shevchenko to deny first Cristiano Ronaldo and then Darren Fletcher and ensure Chelsea claimed a vital three points.

Chelsea, with their inferior goal difference, knew a win was their only realistic chance of keeping alive their hopes of overhauling United - and they started the match powerfully.

Although the Blues were much the better side in the first half, Cole's volley against the bar aside, they created few clear-cut chances.

Whether United were affected by the loss of Vidic, who was stretchered off on 11 minutes after catching a knee in the face from Drogba, is debatable.

United's reshuffled defence, which saw substitute Owen Hargreaves come on at right-back and Wes Brown moved to centre-back, had coped well with Chelsea's threats.

But questions will be asked as to how the German international was allowed to ghost in unmarked at the far post to score the opener.

Michael Essien's running from deep was causing United problems, but too often the midfielder was not played in when in a good position as Chelsea made the wrong decisions.

But the power of Drogba, the combative qualities of Essien and Cole's darting movement had United pinned back in their own half.

And when United did find an outlet, often in right winger Nani, they failed to make any impact as time and again Chelsea snuffed out a limp attack and hit back themselves.

A quiet Rooney looked isolated, and United seemed toothless without Ronaldo, who had been left on the bench.

After the interval, Chelsea again tried to pick up the pace but their game plan appeared to be in tatters when Carvalho made an awful mistake to let United back into the match.

The Portuguese defender casually played the ball towards his own goal, straight into the path of Rooney, who raced clear of John Terry and scored with an excellent low drive.

It proved to be Rooney's last contribution as he was went off injured shortly after to be replaced by Ronaldo.

Regardless, United were now in the ascendancy and Chelsea looked shell-shocked.

Man Utd assistant Carlos Queiroz felt both penalty decisons were wrong

Ryan Giggs had a fierce shot well saved by Petr Cech and United were stroking the ball around confidently.

Frustration was building for Chelsea and Ballack and Drogba argued with each other as they prepared to take a free-kick.

Drogba eventually took aim and was only denied by a magnificent save by Edwin van der Sar.

And there was still time for more drama as Carrick was penalised for blocking Essien's right-wing cross with his arm.

Up stepped Ballack, who brilliantly sent the keeper the wrong way and put Chelsea back into the lead.

Yet it almost did not end there as United came so close to snatching another equaliser but Cole and Shevchenko cleared efforts off the line.

Chelsea: Cech, Ferreira (Anelka 66), Carvalho, Terry, Ashley Cole, Ballack, Obi, Essien, Kalou (Shevchenko 81), Drogba, Joe Cole (Makelele 87).

Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Belletti.

Booked: Ballack, Obi, Drogba.

Goals: Ballack 45, 86 pen.

Man Utd: Van der Sar, Brown, Ferdinand, Vidic (Hargreaves 14), Silvestre, Fletcher, Carrick, Anderson (O'Shea 65), Nani, Rooney (Ronaldo 63), Giggs.

Subs Not Used: Kuszczak, Tevez.

Booked: Brown, Van der Sar, Ferdinand, Hargreaves.

Goals: Rooney 57.

Att: 41,828

Ref: Alan Wiley (Staffordshire).

ok, I gotta ask.

in all my years of watching football, be it teams I like or dislike, never have I seen such bad sportsmanship amongst same team mates :D

gee

Unfortunately I missed the game as I've just got back from my travels, a bit of advice for people travelling back from LOS, never ever have a stop over in Amman, what a sh*t hole.

I have seen them argue before, Drogba is out of order, I'm starting to go off him more and more, all the free kicks and takers should be sorted out before the game kicks off, not very professional looking, reminds me of the back at school days.

ok, I gotta ask.

gee

Unfortunately I missed the game as I've just got back from my travels, a bit of advice for people travelling back from LOS, never ever have a stop over in Amman, what a sh*t hole.

I have seen them argue before, Drogba is out of order, I'm starting to go off him more and more, all the free kicks and takers should be sorted out before the game kicks off, not very professional looking, reminds me of the back at school days.

we won ,thats all that matters ,to lose are home record to man u would be hard to suffer

we won ,thats all that matters ,to lose are home record to man u would be hard to suffer

Your right lazee and it was a nice touch to see JT with a No.8 PAT LAMPARD R.I.P. shirt after the first goal. That was positive team spirit before the Drogba/Ballack 'handbags at dawn' skit

Up the Blues, We can do it!

Dave

Great to see you,the missus,mum,Ziggy and girlfriend as well,Seapok.We had a really good time.I shudder to think what the bill was at the end of the night,though!

For a squad that has NONE of its recognised goal scorers on song(Drogba,Anelka,Lampard,Kalou and,of course,Shevchenko),we're doing fantastically well.The football we played in the first 30 mins of the first half was sublime but we didn't capitalise because we couldn't put the ball in the net.A few heart stopping moments at the end,though. :o

Terry - United can crack

John Terry has warned Manchester United that Chelsea are set to drag the Premier League title away from Old Trafford.

Terry captained Chelsea to three points against reigning champions United at Stamford Bridge on Saturday to allow the Blues to move level with the Red Devils at the top of the table.

And now with two games left in the league season, Terry has warned United that Chelsea are set to deny Sir Alex Ferguson another English top-flight title.

Chelsea travel to Newcastle on 5th May before completing their season at home to Bolton, while United host West Ham before finishing away to Wigan and Terry believes he and his team-mates are better prepared for the closing straight.

"I still believe we can win the title," Terry said in the Daily Star. "Now let us see how they react.

"We are confident we can win our next two games. Are they?

"We are fired-up, breathing down their necks. Their title can't be won now until the final day of the season and we showed why our home record is magnificent.

""We've had to put up with a lot of things, like Chelsea being finished. We are far from that.

"Chelsea can't win it? Let us see. Don't bet against us.

"We needed to show we can over come bad times. We have to believe United can crack."

Desailly tips Chelsea for double

Marcel Desailly believes Chelsea could lift both the Premier League and Champions League trophies this season.

The Blues face Liverpool on Wednesday for a place in the Champions League final and they trail Manchester United in the league by goal difference alone.

"It is clear Chelsea feel that this is their moment," Desailly told BBC Sport. "You can see the spirit is there, and they might just do it."

Desailly also insists Avram Grant is the right man to lead the club forward.

Grant replaced Jose Mourinho as Chelsea manager in September 2007, less than three months after joining the club as director of football.

Mourinho led the Stamford Bridge outfit to successive Premier League titles in 2005 and 2006, and guided them to two Champions League semi-finals.

Many Chelsea supporters reacted angrily to Grant's appointment and, having repeatedly sung Mourinho's name in the early days of the Israeli's reign, sections of the crowd chanted "you don't know what you're doing" during the 2-1 victory over Arsenal in March.

Grant arrived at Chelsea having never previously managed in a major European league.

But he now stands 90 minutes from taking Chelsea to their first ever final in Europe's elite club competition, while the Premier League title is still alive with two matches still to play.

And Desailly, the former France and Chelsea captain who made more than 200 appearances for the club between 1998 and 2004, insists owner Roman Abramovic was right to hand Grant the job.

"For sure," said Desailly when asked if Grant was the best manager for Chelsea. "Abramovich is clever, he knows the people to appoint in his companies and especially in his own team (Chelsea).

"He knew that maybe it was time to change Mourinho and he replaced him with a guy who perhaps did not have the same quality as Mourinho but has other qualities.

"You can see that slowly Grant has put his own style on the team, the players have adapted to him and things are going well.

"They have made a few mistakes - against Tottenham in the Carling Cup final, against Wigan in the league - but in the Champions League they have kept a good rhythm to reach another semi-final.

"Mourinho never did better than that and that's why you have to give Grant consideration and then freedom next year to work in better conditions with no polemic around him."

Desailly won the Champions League with Marseilles in 1993 and AC Milan a year later, not to mention the 1998 World Cup and 2000 European Championship with France.

The 39-year-old believes Chelsea must win the Champions League this season to bridge the "gap between the image they give worldwide and what they have achieved in terms of trophies".

In 2005 and 2007 Liverpool knocked Chelsea out of the Champions League at the same semi-final stage. while they were eliminated in the first knock-out round by Barcelona in 2006.

But following Dirk Kuyt's opener in last week's semi-final first leg at Anfield, John Arne Riise put through his own net deep into stoppage time to gift Chelsea a priceless away goal.

Liverpool must now score at Stamford Bridge, something they have done on just one occasion in their last nine visits and never under Rafael Benitez, to prevent Chelsea reaching May's final in Moscow.

Also fuelling Desailly's belief that Chelsea can complete a league and European double is Saturday's morale-boosting 2-1 win at home to United.

"It is clear that after what happened at Liverpool and against Manchester United, Chelsea feel that this is their moment," added the Frenchman.

"They have the confidence that any team would like to have. The experience that Liverpool have at this stage of the Champions League is huge but, compared to previous years,

Chelsea have a better chance to succeed this time.

"I want them to do the double. I did it in 1994 with AC Milan and it is something amazing."

Chelsea have the edge - Gerrard

Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard has admitted Chelsea are favourites in their Champions League semi-final.

The sides meet at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday in the return leg following last week's 1-1 draw at Anfield.

Gerrard said: "I'll be realistic and say the advantage lies with Chelsea. They're a very good team and have been very strong at home for a long time.

"But we have shown over the last few years that we are a very good team away from home in Europe."

Liverpool have failed to score away to Chelsea in eight games under manager Rafael Benitez.

But Gerrard added: "We really feel that we are as good as Chelsea, if not better than them. We have certainly been the better team when we've played them this season."

John Arne Riise's own goal in the dying stages of the first leg saw the game swing dramatically in Chelsea's favour.

Avram Grant's side, who have not lost at home in 66 league and cup matches, know a home victory will be enough to put them through to the Champions League final for the first time in the club's history.

But Reds boss Benitez feels that Chelsea's previous exits at the semi-final stage may go against them.

They have lost to Liverpool at the final four stage in two of the last three seasons and Benitez said: "I think they want to win clearly and all their supporters will push and try to support the team.

"The players know it's an important game for them - three years to the final, they will be a little bit under pressure."

Benitez has also has questioned the referee, who will be Italian Roberto Rosetti for his "curious" record.

"This referee has had six games in Europe this season, five times the home team has won and the other was when Chelsea won in Valencia," said the Spaniard. "Maybe that is curious.

"The referee has experience, he is certainly not a bad referee. If he is strong at Stamford Bridge then things will be okay.

"The referee in the first leg was not good in virtually every decision but hopefully it will be different now."

Meanwhile, Chelsea boss Grant is confident his side will rise to the occasion as they play their fourth Champions League semi-final in five years.

He said: "If you come to this stage and are not optimistic, you do not need to be in sports. You need to be very optimistic from game to game and also during the game."

Cech - We will attack Reds

Petr Cech has insisted that Chelsea will not play for a goalless draw in the second leg of their UEFA Champions League semi-final against Liverpool.

John Arne Riise's last-gasp own goal in the first leg at Anfield left the score at 1-1 and gave Chelsea the slight edge ahead of Wednesday's return match.

The Blues will progress to the final if they do not concede but Cech feels it would be a mistake to approach the game too defensively.

The goalkeeper has spoken of the confident mood in the Chelsea camp following Saturday's Premier League victory over Manchester United, and has promised that his team-mates will look to attack.

"We want to play active football with the aim of scoring a goal," Cech said on his own official website.

"We certainly will not be defending for 0-0 although we know that if this is the result, then it will be enough for us.

"Liverpool are a top quality opponent, but on the other hand we are in good form.

"Saturday's win over Manchester (United) in the league has been a big cheer for all of us."

Drogba loses Rafa respect

Chelsea striker Didier Drogba has hit back at Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez, accusing the Liverpool manager of a lack of class.

On Sunday, Benitez criticised the Ivory Coast international, revealing that he has a compiled four-year dossier of examples that he believes show Drogba going down under challenges too easily.

Blues boss Avram Grant has since defended Drogba against accusations of diving, but Benitez responded on Tuesday, remaining adamant that he 'falls down too easily'.

And now Drogba has entered the war of words ahead of the UEFA Champions League semi-final second leg clash at Stamford Bridge, live on Sky Sports 2, insisting that he has come in for rough treatment in his previous games against Liverpool.

"Benitez was a coach I used to respect a lot. I used to believe he had class but he has seriously disappointed me," he told L'Equipe.

"His words have shown his weakness. A great coach will never attack a player so meanly.

"If he doesn't want me to fall down he should focus on his team's game and tell his defenders to stop fouling me.

"In the first leg, [Jamie] Carragher and [Martin] Skrtel didn't stop. At the end of the match I was covered in bruises.

"Last year, I picked up a broken rib during the Champions League semi-final against Liverpool.

"Unsurprisingly, Benitez didn't take note of this in his statistics."

Chelsea striker Didier Drogba has hit back at Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez, accusing the Liverpool manager of a lack of class.

On Sunday, Benitez criticised the Ivory Coast international, revealing that he has a compiled four-year dossier of examples that he believes show Drogba going down under challenges too easily.

Blues boss Avram Grant has since defended Drogba against accusations of diving, but Benitez responded on Tuesday, remaining adamant that he 'falls down too easily'.

And now Drogba has entered the war of words ahead of the UEFA Champions League semi-final second leg clash at Stamford Bridge, live on Sky Sports 2, insisting that he has come in for rough treatment in his previous games against Liverpool.

"Benitez was a coach I used to respect a lot. I used to believe he had class but he has seriously disappointed me," he told L'Equipe.

"His words have shown his weakness. A great coach will never attack a player so meanly.

"If he doesn't want me to fall down he should focus on his team's game and tell his defenders to stop fouling me.

"In the first leg, [Jamie] Carragher and [Martin] Skrtel didn't stop. At the end of the match I was covered in bruises.

"Last year, I picked up a broken rib during the Champions League semi-final against Liverpool.

Oh dear - that should upset Rafa :o

Oh dear - that should upset Rafa :o

Hopefully Drogba will let his boots do the talking tonight, stay on his feet and ram Rafa's comments down his throat :D

Good old Drogs. Certainly did himself proud tonight.

One man went to mow.. 11 men going to Mo(scow).

That has certainly helped to ease the pain of the last 3 years since the Luis Garcia goal that never was :o

Come on you Blues

Get in there my Blues!!! :o:D :D :D

Chelsea 3-2 Liverpool (4-3)

Didier Drogba bagged a brace as Chelsea swept into their first Champions League final at the expense of Liverpool on a night of high drama at Stamford Bridge.

The Ivorian opened the scoring with a 12-yard strike, but Fernando Torres's drive sent the game into extra-time.

Frank Lampard restored the lead from the spot after Michael Ballack had been felled, before Drogba prodded a third.

Ryan Babel's 35-yarder prompted a tense finale, but Chelsea held on to seal a tie with Manchester United in Moscow.

It was sweet revenge for Chelsea, having been knocked out of the competition at this stage twice in 2005 and 2007.

And it was little more than they deserved on a tumultuous night's football, their reward being a titanic encounter against their rivals for the Premier League title.

Both sides made two changes to the teams that started the first leg at Anfield, Michael Essien returning from a European ban and Saloman Kalou preferred to Florent Malouda for Chelsea, Liverpool replacing Fabio Aurelia and Babel with John Arne Riise and Yossi Benayoun.

But, as was the case last week, it was the home side that made the early running and Drogba forced the first save of the night with a skiddy effort from 25 yards.

Liverpool's plan was apparently to soak up pressure and then look for Torres at every opportunity, and the plan almost reaped rewards on 10 minutes when the Spaniard ran onto Steven Gerrard's fine pass, only for Petr Cech to smother his shot from eight yards.

It was as close as the visitors got in the first half, though, as Chelsea dictated both possession and chances.

Drogba - so impressive in the Blues' weekend win over Manchester United - was at the heart of all that was good about the hosts' play, but he should have done better when he clipped wide having been set clean through in the box by Lampard's incisive pass.

Liverpool's cause was not helped by an injury to Martin Skrtel, the defender limping off with a knee injury, and things got worse for the Reds when Chelsea scored on 33 minutes.

Fittingly, Drogba grabbed the goal, the Ivorian drilling in with aplomb after Kalou, who had been set free by Lampard, had brought a diving stop from Reina.

Replays suggested Kalou had run onto Lampard's through-ball from an offside position but Drogba, so heavily criticised by Rafael Benitez before the game for diving, showed no remorse as he grasped the opportunity to celebrate in front of the Liverpool bench.

Ballack almost rounded off the half with a superb free-kick that flew inches wide and the visitors appeared understandably relieved to go into half-time with the score just 1-0.

Something had to change for the Reds - and it did - Liverpool almost making a dream start to the second half when Dirk Kuyt forced a smart save from Cech eight yards out.

Gerrard, superbly marshalled by Claude Makelele, had been anonymous in the opening 45 but, with Chelsea happy to sit deep, the midfielder helped Liverpool back into the match.

The Blues suddenly looked short of rhythm and their lack of sharpness was exposed when Benayoun strolled infield and slipped in Torres, the Spaniard spinning on a sixpence and lashing into the corner.

It was Liverpool's first goal at Stamford Bridge in 841 minutes of football, spanning nine matches, and meant the match was destined for extra-time.

The extra period fizzled with controversy - sparked when an Essien drive from 22 yards out flew into the net, only to be ruled out because four Chelsea players stood offside.

The Blues' protests that they were not interfering were muted seconds later, though, as Hyypia felled Ballack and Lampard dispatched the resultant penalty brilliantly.

The midfielder, whose mother passed away last week, celebrated in emotional fashion and seven minutes later Chelsea went two goals clear when Drogba swept home Anelka's pass from six yards.

The touch paper had well and truly been lit and, after Hyypia had fallen dramatically under the weight of Drogba's challenge, Babel reduced the arrears with a speculative effort from 30 yards that Cech should have done better with.

It was a frantic end to an astonishing match, but Chelsea saw it out to send the home fans into raptures and put themselves in with a chance of becoming the first London club to lift Europe's most sought-after prize.

Anyone from this forum planning on going to Moscow for the game?

I would love to but its going to cost the average fan around £2,500 I can't really afford that at the moment, visa problems and expensive hotels will put a downer on it for many.

I would love to but its going to cost the average fan around £2,500 I can't really afford that at the moment, visa problems and expensive hotels will put a downer on it for many.

Go on - do it - sod the money and it is a "home" game for your boys eh? :D

Believe me mate I really would if I could but I just can't afford it I'm afraid, fancy sponsoring me? haha

Cole - We need to win it now

Chelsea midfielder Joe Cole feels reaching the UEFA Champions League final is a 'great achievement' for the club.

An extra-time victory over Liverpool at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday evening set up a date in Moscow with Manchester United on 21st May.

It will be Chelsea's first appearance in a Champions League final and Cole is determined to mark the occasion with a victory.

"It's a great achievement for the football club and every player in our squad, but we haven't won anything yet," Cole told Sky Sports News.

"We need to go and win it."

Cole also paid tribute to Frank Lampard, who scored a penalty to put Chelsea 2-1 in front on his first appearance since the death of his mother last week.

"I've known Frank a long time and I know what kind of fella he is," added Cole. "I don't think he gets enough plaudits as he should do.

"I think he's a great player, and to step up and do that in the time of what's going on in his life, I take my hat off to him."

Meanwhile, Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech believes a first all-English final in the Champions League highlights the strength of the Premier League.

Cech said: "It just shows how strong and great a competition the Premier League is because there was, in the last four, three English teams.

"This is significant and you know this league is brilliant."

Terry out to silence critics

John Terry is hoping that winning the UEFA Champions League will help to silence Chelsea's critics.

Chelsea secured their place in the Champions League final for the first time on Wednesday night after a thrilling 4-3 aggregate victory over Liverpool.

The Blues will now meet Premier League title rivals Manchester United in the European showpiece in Moscow on 21st May.

Terry has already lifted the League trophy on two occasions and has also enjoyed several domestic cup triumphs during his time as Chelsea skipper.

But the centre-half is now 'desperate' to add the Champions League to his haul of trophies in the hope it will keep the team's critics off their backs.

"We won the Premier League two years running and we've won other trophies and it takes a great side to do that," said Terry.

"But a Champions League trophy would answer a few critics and it is something I am desperate to win.

"Until recently we were not a club to challenge for everything. We'd win the occasional trophy like the FA Cup in 1997 and 2000, but we were never a problem for the likes of Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal, who have done well over the years.

"But they've all had to start somewhere and now we're at the beginning of that stage."

Believe me mate I really would if I could but I just can't afford it I'm afraid, fancy sponsoring me? haha

One way ticket ? ha ha :D

Grant confident his job is safe

Avram Grant believes Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich is "happy" with the club's progress and that his position as manager is not under threat.

Grant has led Chelsea to the Champions League final for the first time, but speculation remains over his future.

The Israeli confirmed that he spoke with Abramovich after their victory over Liverpool on Wednesday.

And he said: "I have a feeling that he is happy, very happy. We are in contact, and he's happy."

Chelsea are level on points with Manchester United at the top of the Premier League table and face them in the Champions League final in Moscow on 21 May.

But some critics are still questioning whether Grant, who succeeded fans' favourite Jose Mourinho in September, will be in charge next season.

"The relationship [with Abramovich] is good. Everything will be ok," said Grant.

"Do I look worried? I need to do my job all the time, to look at the present and the future in this club.

"About my personal life, I don't know what I'm doing tomorrow. Professionally, I know what Chelsea need to do tomorrow, a week from now or two years from now."

Club captain John Terry launched a fierce defence of Grant following the win over Liverpool, insisting he has done enough to keep his job and voicing his disbelief that anyone should now be questioning his position as manager.

"To get to where we are and still question his role is unbelievable," said Terry.

"It's the first time we've got to the final. No manager or set of players has ever done that. Results don't lie.

"You look at the Premier League table since the manager has taken over and they have been very good.

"All we can do once we are out there and once the manager is in charge is do our best and that's what we have done to get to the Champions League final."

But Terry said Chelsea's success was not just down to the influence of Grant, but everyone who worked with him.

"It's not just the manager, it is the players, and Henk ten Cate and Steve Clarke, who have a big role to play behind the scenes.

"They keep players motivated. We have got such a big squad of players and they manage to keep those not playing motivated and that is a credit to them.

"We've shown character all year even when our bigger players have been out, the squad players have come in and done well.

"They have kept us in these competitions and in touching distance of everybody else in the league. That's a credit to the football club, that's the way we work.

"We never let anything get us down and we keep fighting right to the end and we've done that."

Personally (and no sideways swipe intended) I reckon ANYBODY could sit in the dugout at your place and do the job. I don't believe for a minute that the squad you have would benefit or otherwise from whatever manager you employed.

Sure, astute substitutions and team selection are needed and a certain degree of savvy in this area, but this aspect should be within the grasp of pretty much all the the recognised managers.

Jose built the team - that was the achievement. Grant, IMHO, is only riding of the back of the previous work.

The problem as I would foresee would be his ability or otherwise in replenishing the squad. I think he would fall short here.

All this hype about what a wonderful job he's done is OTT. I could have got that lot to Moscow!

p.s. I still hate you all because you knocked my lot out of the Champs League :o